PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 NFL Mock Drafts

True. But, you are very, very, very, very, unlikely to draft a starting LT where we are coming from. In fact, there may not be one playoff ready in this entire draft.

But, and I'm playing devil's advocate here, we are Vince Wilfork's replacement?

Because DT's usually rotate. I'm replacing him with three guys; Silega, Branch and Goldman. While stout vs the run. VW doesn't provide much of a pass rush.

The best way to replace Solder IMO would be to move Vollmer over to LT. Draft a RT in the first. May have to move up to do. Clemmings could come into play if we do that. We now having an aging DT with no long-term replacement yet, and Vollmer isn't a long-term solution at LT either. I think Solder can be tweaked and become a good LT. Just like he was in 2012 and 2013.

Not to take a side in this discussion but regarding the DT position my ideal would be to somehow retain Wilfork for 2015 and draft his replacement, with a goal to taking over in 2016. That may not be possible given Wilfork's cap hit. I think the Pats could potentially get by with a rookie + Branch and Siliga for 2015, but I'd much prefer the first scenario.

Regarding Solder, I am not of the "replace Solder" camp but I think that if a long term deal can't be worked out that the plan would be to have him play out his 5th year option while a rookie is groomed to take over in 2016. So I personally think it's a somewhat parallel situation, though for different reasons than with Wilfork. That's part of why I like guys who I think can be successful at both tackle and guard. If think work out with Solder at LT for the long term then those guys could be groomed as LGs; if they don't, they could start at LG and move to LT in a year. TJ Clemmings, La'el Collins and Jake Fisher all fit that mold; possibly Ty Sambrailo and Cameron Erving.

Miguel linked an article from CBS talking about cap status. We may be able to save 16m or so by re-working deals for; Revis, Mayo and Brady. Is that enough to keep the following; McCourty, Ayers, Gostkowski, Casillas, Silega and Branch?? Prob close.

Says we can save another 4.5 by making Amendola a post 6/1 cut. Cutting Hoo-Man too and you have enough for the draft picks. But, we'd have no wiggle room for a veteran wr. Hard to see this working with Wilfork and Solder's number on the books. I'm guessing that one of them is going. And, past history suggests BB will let the vet go a year early. Heck, I wouldn't be stunned if we say adios to both of em.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ve-teams-with-the-worst-salary-cap-situations

If Wilfork's option is exercised, or a restructuring is agreed-upon, then I see no need to use our 1st-rounder on a DT.
However, even if Solder returns for 2015, we still need to use our 1st-rounder on an OLman, the real Mankins replacement who ideally is also long enough to play LT as well as LG. Don't know if Bill would pull the trigger on a Guard-only type like AJ Cann in the 1st round though.

If Wilfork's option is exercised, or a restructuring is agreed-upon, then I see no need to use our 1st-rounder on a DT.
However, even if Solder returns for 2015, we still need to use our 1st-rounder on an OLman, the real Mankins replacement who ideally is also long enough to play LT as well as LG. Don't know if Bill would pull the trigger on a Guard-only type like AJ Cann in the 1st round though.

reading what mayo just posted in the rumors thread it seems like Cann should be available in a later round. No need to use our first rounder.

I disagree. You don't draft for need, you don't draft to fill next season's holes, and you don't wait for a need to become acute to plan for it. Wilfork won't be around long, so if there is good value at the DT position it deserves serious consideration. OL is a priority, but not necessarily in the 1st round. Reaching to fill a percrived need is a bad strategy.

I know I've been harping on drafting dorial green-beckam, but I forgot where I read this at bit somebody was saying that he's a top 10 draft pick cause of his talent but very well could end up dropping to the forth round. If thats the case do you guys think he would be worth the pick?

Quick bump. Assumptions as previously.

*** Trade: Pats trade 1st and 3rd round picks to move up to the early 20's.

1. Eddie Goldman - DT - Florida St. 6'4" 320#. The Pats could also go with an edge rusher or OL here.
2. Jake Fisher - OL - Oregon. 6'6" 300#. Or Spencer Drango - OL - Baylor (6'5" 315#).
3 (comp). Jarvis Harrison - OL - Texas A&M. 6'3" 325#. Or Laken Tomlinson - OL - Duke (6'3" 320#)..
4 (from TB). Noah Spence - DE/OLB - Ohio St. 6'3" 255#. Pats use an extra pick to gamble on a guy whose raw skill set fits perfectly. If the Pats went with an edge rusher in the 1st then I'd use this pick on DT Terry Williams.
4. Jaquiski Tartt - S - Stamford (6'1" 218#). Or Durrell Eskridge - S - Syracuse (6'3" 203#). USC CB Josh Shaw is intriguing, but has major red flags.
6 (from TB). DeAndre Smelter - WR - Georgia Tech 6'3" 222#.
6 (comp). David Johnson - RB - Northern Iowa. 6'2" 229#. Or Karlos Williams - RB - Florida St. (6'1" 225#). Need a big back who can catch the ball.
7 (from Tenn). Tre McBride - WR - William & Mary. 6'1" 205#.

Utah OT Jeremiah Poutasi (6'6" 320#, plays LT but has also played LG, 2nd team Pac-10 selection) is reportedly 100% coming out, and could be a really interesting option in the 2nd round. Only 20 years old, with a lot of upside. Polynesian kid who seems very mature.

I know I've been harping on drafting dorial green-beckam, but I forgot where I read this at bit somebody was saying that he's a top 10 draft pick cause of his talent but very well could end up dropping to the forth round. If thats the case do you guys think he would be worth the pick?

I doubt he lasts that long, but in the 4th? Sure, I'd consider it. IMO the team should address DL and OL first, but I'm happy to load up on the best values at the offensive skill players on day 3. Get Green-Beckham in the 4th and Smelter in the 6th, and that would be a really interesting combination. But I can't see it happening.

With a couple of extra picks to play with, I can see the Pats taking a few chances this draft. Possible trade ups, or taking a chance on an injured player (DeAndre Smelter, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu) or one with character issues who slips (Noah Spence, Marcus Peters, Josh Shaw, DGB). Not too many chances, but a couple. Go with high floor guys with the other picks.

Last edited:
I disagree. You don't draft for need, you don't draft to fill next season's holes, and you don't wait for a need to become acute to plan for it. Wilfork won't be around long, so if there is good value at the DT position it deserves serious consideration. OL is a priority, but not necessarily in the 1st round. Reaching to fill a percrived need is a bad strategy.

Mayo I would amend this to say "you don't AUTOMATICALLY draft for need". I think you should not put yourself in a situation where you need to take a below value player and let a better player stay on the board. However to draft as if you have no needs is not good policy (I am not saying this is your policy; i am taking what you are saying and putting it to the extreme).

To always draft for BPA with no regards to needs can hurt you more than help you when followed blindly. I personally do not believe in any one draft philosophy as you need to remain fluid and open to all situations. However if I would to give what my ideal general guideline is it would be this.

#1 Don't draft a player below value of his draft value spot.
#2 Your first, second and third round players should be able to be year 1 starters that make an impact.
#3 When possible draft players to spots where you believe playing time will be available.

So looking at it this way I would say draft with an eye for needs but not at the expense of a good deal. Last year very much broke my draft philosophy but I was happy with how the first 2 rounds went overall.

Easley and Garappolo seem way to impactful down the line to say no to. They looked to be to be to staples of the teams future for years to come if it works out.

However that was a rare year when so much was done in FA I was not worried about getting the most immediately impactful guys. This year I doubt you will have the cap room to address all your needs and so I would be less inclined to take that particular tact and draft with my needs more in mind.

I think going into next year not addressing the OL in the draft in a way that will immediately help would be a mistake as things stand. Now I am not saying reach for guys but be aggressive in rounds 1-3.

Don't be afraid to make a move to make sure you get a good player at good value. If you believe a player drops to you that should not have that is not an a need by all means take him but then just be that much more aggressive with your other picks to make sure you also get guys that you need to help you now.

Mayo I would amend this to say "you don't AUTOMATICALLY draft for need". I think you should not put yourself in a situation where you need to take a below value player and let a better player stay on the board. However to draft as if you have no needs is not good policy (I am not saying this is your policy; i am taking what you are saying and putting it to the extreme).

To always draft for BPA with no regards to needs can hurt you more than help you when followed blindly.

There is a difference between identifying areas to be addressed, and trying to fill short-term needs. The OL is clearly an area to be addressed, and I would hope to come away with at least 1 player who is capable of starting in 2015 plus another who can contribute; but it is something entirely different to say that OL needs to be addressed in the 1st round.

I personally do not believe in any one draft philosophy as you need to remain fluid and open to all situations. However if I would to give what my ideal general guideline is it would be this.

#1 Don't draft a player below value of his draft value spot.
#2 Your first, second and third round players should be able to be year 1 starters that make an impact.
#3 When possible draft players to spots where you believe playing time will be available.

This is a pretty aggressive guideline, and I think it's a bit off. I don't think the goal is nearly as much to have players start year 1, as to find players who you think will have a long term impact. Dom Easley and Jamie Collins are good cases in point. I also wouldn't worry too much about projecting spots where playing time will be immediately available. Obviously, you don't want to jam an already crowded position, but things will sort themselves out. We'e seen how quickly a position can go from strength to weakness (TEs), and vice-versa (DBs).

I think going into next year not addressing the OL in the draft in a way that will immediately help would be a mistake as things stand. Now I am not saying reach for guys but be aggressive in rounds 1-3.

Don't be afraid to make a move to make sure you get a good player at good value. If you believe a player drops to you that should not have that is not an a need by all means take him but then just be that much more aggressive with your other picks to make sure you also get guys that you need to help you now.

I have always felt that OL and DL were the primary areas to focus early on in the draft. I think the Pats have the ammunition to be aggressive, if they see the right targets available.

Along the same lines, later in the draft though, I am really high on Robert Myers.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=133394&draftyear=2015&genpos=OT

Very intriguing guy. IIRC, he got Senior Bowl invite. He's definitely a day 3 sleeper, with a ton of upside.

Given some of the unofficially reported early entries, I'd be very interested in a draft like this:

*** Trade 1st and 3rd round picks to move up to around 25 or so

1. Eddie Goldman - DT - Florida St. 6'4" 320#.

2. Maxx Williams - TE - Minnesota. 6'4" 250#.

3 (comp). Jeremiah Poutasi - OL - Utah. 6'6" 320#. Or Jake Fisher - OL - Oregon. 6'6" 300#.

4 (TB). Noah Spence - DE/OLB - Ohio St. 6'3" 255#. Or Owemagbe Odighizuwa - DE - UCLA. 6'3" 270#.

4. Robert Myers - OL - Tennessee St. 6'5" 310#. Possibly with a trade back to the 5th, picking up an extra late round pick.

6 (TB). DeAndre Smelter - WR - Georgia Tech. 6'3" 222#.

6 (comp). Best available DB or RB.

7 (TB). Tre McBridge - WR - William & Mary. 6'1" 205#.

Last edited:
Very intriguing guy. IIRC, he got Senior Bowl invite. He's definitely a day 3 sleeper, with a ton of upside.

Given some of the unofficially reported early entries, I'd be very interested in a draft like this:

*** Trade 1st and 3rd round picks to move up to around 25 or so

1. Eddie Goldman - DT - Florida St. 6'4" 320#.

2. Maxx Williams - TE - Minnesota. 6'4" 250#.

3 (comp). Jeremiah Poutasi - OL - Utah. 6'6" 320#. Or Jake Fisher - OL - Oregon. 6'6" 300#.

4 (TB). Noah Spence - DE/OLB - Ohio St. 6'3" 255#. Or Owemagbe Odighizuwa - DE - UCLA. 6'3" 270#.

4. Robert Myers - OL - Tennessee St. 6'5" 310#. Possibly with a trade back to the 5th, picking up an extra late round pick.

6 (TB). DeAndre Smelter - WR - Georgia Tech. 6'3" 222#.

6 (comp). Best available DB or RB.

7 (TB). Tre McBridge - WR - William & Mary. 6'1" 205#.

I wonder if we can get Maxx Williams in the second without a trade up. And then the question is whether we wouldn't want to use one of the 3th/4th picks to trade up in the first as you did.

I would love to have him but ultimately it somehow feels more like a luxury compared to other areas (=> trenches). Considering everything I think we will either go with Steve Maneri, if he can impress in his audition, or go for a blocking TE in one of the later rounds. Either way I guess we will try to get Hooman off the books.

I like the physical specs of both Poutasi and Fisher. I guess we will have a better idea after the workouts at the senior bowl in which direction the OL/DL players will trend in terms of the draft. Is it known who will work them out this year ?

I wonder if we can get Maxx Williams in the second without a trade up. And then the question is whether we wouldn't want to use one of the 3th/4th picks to trade up in the first as you did.

I would love to have him but ultimately it somehow feels more like a luxury compared to other areas (=> trenches). Considering everything I think we will either go with Steve Maneri, if he can impress in his audition, or go for a blocking TE in one of the later rounds. Either way I guess we will try to get Hooman off the books.

I like the physical specs of both Poutasi and Fisher. I guess we will have a better idea after the workouts at the senior bowl in which direction the OL/DL players will trend in terms of the draft. Is it known who will work them out this year ?

Williams would be a Hooman replacement rather a Maneri replacement. Williams is a move TE that can play inline but you won't be playing him there that much. He doesn't have Hernandez's quickness, but he'll be used much as Ahern was. That way, Tim Wright can be used much as he is now, as an outstanding redzone threat.

Last edited:
Maxx Williams' hands though:

Williams would be a Hooman replacement rather a Maneri replacement. Williams is a move TE that can play inline but you won't be playing him there that much. He doesn't have Hernandez's quickness, but he'll be used much as Ahern was. That way, Tim Wright can be used much as he is now, as an outstanding redzone threat.

Hm.. interesting..

I looked at some of his videos online and came away feeling that he could be an upper-class Gronk insurance. I have no idea how good his blocking is (or how much the staff can coach him up) for that to happen though.

I didn't mean to imply that he would be a replacement for Maneri. Sorry, I should have been more clear. What I meant is that if we can upgrade Hooman, we would have a nice diverse set of TEs. Maneri has time now to make a case for a spot next season, but the only place I see for him is as Hooman replacement. There are only so many roster spots.

Hm.. interesting..

I looked at some of his videos online and came away feeling that he could be an upper-class Gronk insurance. I have no idea how good his blocking is (or how much the staff can coach him up) for that to happen though.

I didn't mean to imply that he would be a replacement for Maneri. Sorry, I should have been more clear. What I meant is that if we can upgrade Hooman, we would have a nice diverse set of TEs. Maneri has time now to make a case for a spot next season, but the only place I see for him is as Hooman replacement. There are only so many roster spots.

I suspect he's had good practice at blocking in the run game:

If you're unimpressed by Maxx Williams' stat line (29/471/7), understand that Minnesota only threw 221 times this season and ran 566 times.

https://twitter.com/MockingTheDraft/status/548667987642048514

I haven't watched him a huge amount, but when I have, he's lined up quite a bit as an HB. I think he's a guy you target to play in the slot a lot but you motion him onto the end of the line if you want to create a mismatch in the running game.

I haven't watched him a huge amount, but when I have, he's lined up quite a bit as an HB. I think he's a guy you target to play in the slot a lot but you motion him onto the end of the line if you want to create a mismatch in the running game.

Sounds exactly like a tool we would use. I think we all agree that he would make a nice draft pick and to me personally he looks more interesting than most of last year's TEs.

However, I almost expect that someone (e.g. Ravens ? Who knows what will happen with Pitta) will get him in the second round before we have a chance. Unless under ideal circumstances I am not sure if our situation + his ability is worth trading up for.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back