PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2013 QB Draft

I'd only trade Mallet if I could get a high to mid 2nd in return. I have a hard time seeing that happen without a game on tape. I'd be fine with bringing back Cassell to back up Brady. Brady's replacement is probably still in HS, so I wouldn't worry about his replacement for another 2 years. Its more likely that when he does eventually retire, his replacement will be a short term gap filler on the lines of a Matt Moore or Alec Smith type (whoever fills that stereotype 4-5 years from now)

But this season, I'd expect a trade from that position. BB knows that the talent level from the late 20's to the mid 40's is roughly the same. He'd be fine trading down and picking up a future 2nd day pick.

Actually what I'm hoping is that someone they REALLY like starts to fall of some reason into the 20's and the Pats trade up and get him. This should be a draft about quality, NOT quantity

We've had PLENTY of "should the Pats trade Mallett?" threads -- and not much enlightenment from them, in my opinion.

Here's a general question. You have a quarterback in place for the foreseeable future (in his twenties, say) and have the chance of recruiting (or keeping) a first-class back-up -- someone who will keep the team competitive (you think) if the number one goes down and who has the potential to become a starter in the NFL (even though you don't need one). How much do you pay/sacrifice to have such a player on the team?

My answer: a second rounder. The backup quarterback is the most important non-starting position on the team, arguably more important than some starters, and anyone would pay a second rounder for a guaranteed starter at other positions.

Now what about the quarterbacks who DON'T play for the Patriots?

Last edited:
This dilemma just occurred to me and I thought it interesting to see how Pats fans think.

You are the Pats GM and sitting at #32 in the NFL Draft. Two teams phone you looking to trade up:

1. The NY Jets are offering you their second, 2014 1st. You know they are convinced that there is a QB they think is their future franchise guy. Your evaluators tell you that they may be right.

2. A Random NFC team, also looking at a QB are offering their second and third rounder in this draft. In terms of points, the Jets offer far outweighs the NFC teams.

Do you take the Jets' much better offer even though it means presenting them with a potential franchise QB?

A top 20 pick next year? Hell yeah!

This dilemma just occurred to me and I thought it interesting to see how Pats fans think.

You are the Pats GM and sitting at #32 in the NFL Draft. Two teams phone you looking to trade up:

1. The NY Jets are offering you their second, 2014 1st. You know they are convinced that there is a QB they think is their future franchise guy. Your evaluators tell you that they may be right.

2. A Random NFC team, also looking at a QB are offering their second and third rounder in this draft. In terms of points, the Jets offer far outweighs the NFC teams.

Do you take the Jets' much better offer even though it means presenting them with a potential franchise QB?

You take the Jets offer, absolutely. No question. You take the trade that helps your team and don't worry about how the other guys will do, every single time.

But in this case, it's even easier. Because no matter how good the guy is, the Jets will ***** it up and totally ruin the kid. Consider what the poor bastard has to look forward to: he'll be adored as the savior or derided as the false hope, then thrown into the media jungle of New York and the circus culture of the New York Jets. He'll be proclaimed the savior by his coach before he steps on the field, be declared "better than Brady" before he ever throws a pass, have the expectations of 20M people hoping that he will be the guy to lead them to the promised land. He'll be rushed in to the fray before he's ready, surrounded by mediocre talent, and crucified if he can't do it all by himself. He'll have to play the Pats twice a year. If he loses, he'll be dog poop. If he wins a game, he'll be deified, with even greater expectations that he can't possibly reach. ************ couldn't succeed under those circumstances.

The only possible reason to turn it town would be humanitarian/compassionate grounds for the poor prospect in question.

We've had PLENTY of "should the Pats trade Mallett?" threads -- and not much enlightenment from them, in my opinion.

Here's a general question. You have a quarterback in place for the foreseeable future (in his twenties, say) and have the chance of recruiting (or keeping) a first-class back-up -- someone who will keep the team competitive (you think) if the number one goes down and who has the potential to become a starter in the NFL (even though you don't need one). How much do you pay/sacrifice to have such a player on the team?

My answer: a second rounder. The backup quarterback is the most important non-starting position on the team, arguably more important than some starters, and anyone would pay a second rounder for a guaranteed starter at other positions.

Now what about the quarterbacks who DON'T play for the Patriots?

Mallett hasn't demonstrated much value IMO, certainly not the equivalent of a 2nd round pick. We can probably hire Cassel or Hoyer to hold a clipboard for a while, neither one is the heir but they'll do for the time.

All the new GM's and HC's there'll be following Black Monday combined with the deep but weak at the top QB class will add a really interesting element to this draft. The way I see it, this off-season will go one of two ways:

1. There'll be a premium on tradeable and FA QB's like Alex Smith, Michael Vick and others and the draft QB's will fall in to the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

2. Teams will reach for QB's in the draft, particularly if Geno Smith goes top 2 and the likes of Glennon, Barkley, Wilson and Nassib all go first round.

So which do you think is most likely?

Why is Landry Jones not being mentioned in the same class as Glennon, Nassib, and Bray?

Why is Landry Jones not being mentioned in the same class as Glennon, Nassib, and Bray?

Makes far too many mistakes. He has an amazing arm though. If he's there in the 4th or 5th and we have a pick, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Landry showed he was over-rated last year. The other guys waited until their senior year. Evaluation process hasn't caught up to just how mediocre they all are.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back