PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 Senior Bowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Wilfork75 -
Good write up on the South Practice. Though I don't see any mention of Patrick Edwards.. Did he practice? Or did he just not stand out?

I didn't notice him much during the day 2 practices but got to see a little of him during the day 3 practices. The thing that really stands out is just how quick he is in and out of his breaks. If you play off him you have no chance because his cuts are so sharp and he creates seperation so easily. He also showed some good deep speed, creating seperation against Dwight Bentley on a double move, unfortunately he pulled his hamstring at the end of the route. So he looked really good to me as a slot guy, and I would consider him in a similar way to Joe Adams. A small, quick WR thats probably not going to play every down because of his size, but can be a playmaker and special teamer.

Welcome aboard, I've been driving the Juron Criner Bandwagon for most of the season. Its good that some others are finally catching on. Even Rob Rang, who recently had Criner ranked as a 7th/UDFA is starting to take notice.
Arizona WR Criner quieting critics at Senior Bowl - CBSSports.com

The fact that guys like Rang are suprised by his performance tells me they haven't even watched tape of the kid, because he isn't doing anything that he didn't do the past few seasons at Arizona. And he hasn't even shown off his best skill yet, his YAC ability. I've said for a while I think he could work his way into the 2nd round, and unfortunately I could be right. Watching him on tape I think he is a perfect fit here. His got a big body, but runs good routes, is great after the catch and does everything at speed. Add in the fact that he is also a deep threat because of his size, body control and ability to track the ball, and I think he would be perfect here. I also love the fact that he has 10 1/2 inch hands, the 4th biggest overall at the Senior Bowl, and the biggest amongst WR's and TE's.

I'd like my crow served up medium well please.. :rocker:

I didn't notice him much during the day 2 practices but got to see a little of him during the day 3 practices. The thing that really stands out is just how quick he is in and out of his breaks. If you play off him you have no chance because his cuts are so sharp and he creates seperation so easily. He also showed some good deep speed, creating seperation against Dwight Bentley on a double move, unfortunately he pulled his hamstring at the end of the route. So he looked really good to me as a slot guy, and I would consider him in a similar way to Joe Adams. A small, quick WR thats probably not going to play every down because of his size, but can be a playmaker and special teamer.

He is a BB kind of WR, he is not a speed demon, but he is extremely quick and he creates separation with his quickness.

The hammy seemed to pop near the end of his last route. Hopefully it was just a bad pull.

But it will definitely affect his 40 time at the combine, could cause him to drop. Maybe BB will see him as a value selection later in the draft as he drops.

I watch the day three practices and I see OT Glenn geting all kinds of props for stopping Ingram (he has pened my eyes a ton) and Upshaw on the one on one drills, but I see Glenn holding the mess out of them. After one play Upshaw's jersey looked like it had been through a shredder.

I still think Glenn is an OG or ROT at best.

The corners on both squads look really good. We knew it was a deep CB draft, but Johnson of Iowa state and Boykin of Georgia have really looked good. Johnson is the most physical corner, not named Kirkpatrick, that I have seen all year. And Boykin is fast with good change of direction. Excellent return man!

Hands down Rainey is the fastest player on either team. Yes he is small and fragile, but can he run! If used as a WR, he might be the only player that can outrun the 2 deep defense right down the middle. Wow, what speed!

Come the third round instead of picking the usual garbage like Crable, McKenzie, and Brock Williams, BB ought to think about adding a speed guy like Rainey and then using him 8 to 10 plays per game to stretch the opposing defense out to Connecticut. Have him come out of the slot opposite Welker or out of the backfield, there isn't a defensive player in the NFL now that can catch him.

I can see wr being a position we double up on in April. Re-up Welker. Sign Brandon Lloyd. We have Edelman. Kick Ochocinco to the curb. Branch welcome back on a cheap contract. Draft two wr's. Hopefully, one of them can return kicks and punts.

I can see wr being a position we double up on in April. Re-up Welker. Sign Brandon Lloyd. We have Edelman. Kick Ochocinco to the curb. Branch welcome back on a cheap contract. Draft two wr's. Hopefully, one of them can return kicks and punts.

Boykin of Georgia fills several roles, first being CB, but he is also a return guy with SPEED!

The best returner in college this year was WR Hiilton from Florida International or Atlanta or something of another. Fearless! Sets up blocks well and finishes.

Both are fragile but Boykins is probably a good bit faster.

Would Lloyd sign for the 6 Million we are paying Ocho sucko?

The Draft this year has cornerbacks with different strengths and weaknesses. So much so that there does not seem to be too many guys who are scheme diverse. Some are excellent in off coverage whereas other guys need to play in press man to shine. Note that the Vikings coaches for the North had their cornerbacks playing off so guys like Dennard and Fleming have not been playing to their strengths.
If BB drafts a CB, especially early in the draft, this may signal BB's intentions of which scheme he prefers to play.

Would Lloyd sign for the 6 Million we are paying Ocho sucko?

I think we are going to have a minimum of 30m once M. Wright retires and we cut Ochocinco. I think it will cost at least 20m to re-up these guys; Welker, M. Anderson,
K. Love, BJGE, D. Connolly and M Slater. I think we can get two vets. Lloyd is on record as saying he's following McDaniels. 6M would be the high end of his demands I would think. And, I also want to sign a safety.

Last edited:
Got an interview with Joe Adams (WR, Arkansas) today.

2012 Senior Bowl: Joe Adams Interview | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2012 NFL Draft

Also have interviews about to be posted with Juron Criner, Quinton Coples, Janoris Jenkins, George Iloka, Marvin McNutt, Josh Norman, and more. (or watch them on youtube)

Check back at our Senior Bowl HQ often to see the updates.

Good stuff. Man, Mcnutt seemed a lot bigger in the video interview that I pictured him (and seemingly bigger that the other WRs). His friggin hands look like he could palm a medicine ball.

Last edited:
I think we are going to have a minimum of 30m once M. Wright retires and we cut Ochocinco. I think it will cost at least 20m to re-up these guys; Welker, M. Anderson,
K. Love, BJGE, D. Connolly and M Slater. I think we can get two vets. Lloyd is on record as saying he's following McDaniels. 6M would be the high end of his demands I would think. And, I also want to sign a safety.

I'll be honest. I don't see BJGE wanting to stay. I think a team looking for a RB pays him to be a starter for them.. Detroit or Washington. If he does stay, great. But I'm not sure he'll want to.

It will be interesting to see what Welker signs for and what Lloyd is willing to accept.

Kyle Love, Slater and Anderson are definite re-signs..

Good stuff. Man, Mcnutt seemed a lot bigger in the video interview that I pictured him (and seemingly bigger that the other WRs). His friggin hands look like he could palm a medicine ball.

10 1/8" hands. They are enormous.

I'm curious as to what people think of Marvin Jones, the WR out of Cal. He's been getting rave reviews from the Senior Bowl so I thought I'd check him out in a game against Stanford. Good to great hands, excellent at making catches on the sideline, able blocker. Don't know what his speed is like but the skinny from the senior Bowl is that he gets open with ease.

Need to do more research but really liked what I saw out of him. Anyone watched coverage from the Senior Bowl and care to comment?

Jones displays excellent attributes on tape, although his build really worries me. He looks downright frail on the field. Now, reports from the senior bowl have him playing extremely physical and perhaps bulking up a bit, but I still think he represents very little in the way of YAC, which is important in our offense.

He runs good, not great, routes, but has a penchant for really remarkable grabs even when covered. He has some of the best hands I've seen. Very reliable pass-catcher, although not a "playmaker" in the flashy sense of the word. Can absolutely be an effective #2. The problem is value. I honestly don't know if I'd draft him earlier than the 5th round, and after the senior bowl, he's likely to rise to the middle rounds. Good player, though.

Better at football games than at tests or scrimmages or drills, I'll wager.

What kind of market value could Lloyd command? What teams would be interested in him?

What kind of market value could Lloyd command? What teams would be interested in him?

I think the Rams will try like heck to keep him. They have plenty of cap space and need to keep him. We'd have to sell him on staying with McDaniels, playing with Brady and a chance to win. 5-6M enough?? There are a lot of veteran free agents available. Vincent Jackson, Wes Welker, M. Colston, Desean Jackson, Robert Meachem, Steve Johnson, Reggie Wayne.

I think the Rams will try like heck to keep him. They have plenty of cap space and need to keep him. We'd have to sell him on staying with McDaniels, playing with Brady and a chance to win. 5-6M enough?? There are a lot of veteran free agents available. Vincent Jackson, Wes Welker, M. Colston, Desean Jackson, Robert Meachem, Steve Johnson, Reggie Wayne.

I replied to you here since it was more on topic. :
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...2-2012-nfl-free-agents-page9.html#post2931905

So looking forward to the game today. Got my notepad out.. Got the DVR set. Printing out the rosters.. reviewing them so I know what numbers to look for..

BTW, anyone know how they decide which teams provide the coaching staffs? Personally, I'd like to see the staffs from teams who maid it to the divisional rounds instead of coaching staffs that were horrible (Minnesote - 3-13 and Washington -5-11).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand