PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 Senior Bowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got to watch the South Practices today on NFL network, so I thought I would share some of my notes.

Notes from the South Practice

• The South D-Line was a dominant unit and they really overmatched the O-Line in one on ones, although they do have an advantage due to the amount of space.
  • Quinten Coples showed both speed and power moves to get into the backfield and really cause some problems.

• Courtney Upshaw was almost unblockable and really stood out as a competitor. I don’t think his measurables are an issue, and I think his height matched his style of play well because it allow him to out leverage his opponents.

• Melvin Ingram lacks size and length, but makes up for it with explosion off the line and gets into the backfield with ease.

• Brandon Thompson flashed some explosion inside, and looks a good fit as a 4-3 DT.
  • Kheston Randle showed some power inside and tossed some O-lineman around when he got leverage. He’s a much better run defender than pass rusher and I like his as a 3-4 DE.

• Tony Jerod-Eddie really showed some power with some strong bull rushes and has good size as a potential 3-4 DE at 6’4” 301lbs and 34 3/8 inch arms.

• Janoris Jenkins is by far the best CB at the Senior Bowl and I would have no problem taking him in the first round. He is undersized, but he is a quality cover corner and I think he is probably the #3 CB in the draft behind Claiborne and Kirkpatrick.

• Dwight Bentley flashed some ability, but he still needs some work, especially against double moves. Brandon Boykin is another guy that showed some ability and great athleticism, although he too is undersized

• Brandon Taylor is an intelligent and physical player who I think would fit well in the secondary. Markel Martin also looked good on the 1 play I saw of him breaking up a pass to a TE.

• Chris Rainey is FAST, and he burnt Jenkins deep on 1 play, however Jenkins came back to break up the next ball. Rainey needs a lot of work on his route running, but you can’t teach world class speed.

• Juron Criner has been a favourite of mine for a while and he looked pretty good, especially when making the catch of the day with a 1 handed catch thrown too far inside. Although he measured in a bit shorter than expected at 6’2”, he has HUGE hands and uses his body well. And he still hasn’t had the opportunity to show off his best asset, his ability after the catch.

• Joe Adams looked really good, and is really quick in and out of his breaks. I think he is going to be a good player in the NFL as a WR/KR guy.

• Dwight Jones was a little disappointing, but the biggest concern for me was the size of his hands. They are only 9 inches, which is tiny for a guy his size and much smaller than all of the other big WR’s. To put it into perspective, his hands are the same size as sub 5’8” Marquise Maze. I think it could explain some of his issues catching the ball and is a big red flag

• Jeff Fuller looks good at 6’4” with a huge wingspan, but he really wasn’t impressive to me. He is really slow off the line and takes a long time to build up his speed. He is also really slow in and out of his breaks and will struggle to gain separation. If he was more physical it wouldn’t be as much of a problem, but he is soft and is really going to struggle gaining separation and getting off the line against press coverage. His hands are also poor and he doesn’t compete at all.

• I think Ladarius Green could be a guy to watch at TE. He needs a lot of work as a blocker, and really needs to bulk up because he is 6056 237lbs. He has huge upside as a pass catcher and I think he could be a solid option in the 4th round.
  • Zach Brown showed his elite athleticism in coverage, and Butch Davis thinks he could even play SLB in a 4-3 due to his wrestling background. He even holds the North Carolina record for the indoor 60 meters. If we stick with a 4-3 I think he is definitely a guy to look at.

• I also like the look of the two Texas LBers Emmanuel Acho and Keenan Robinson, even though Acho did get beat once in coverage. I think both are solid mid round options.

I got to watch the South Practices today on NFL network, so I thought I would share some of my notes.

• The South D-Line was a dominant unit and they really overmatched the O-Line in one on ones, although they do have an advantage due to the amount of space.
  • Quinten Coples showed both speed and power moves to get into the backfield and really cause some problems.

• Courtney Upshaw was almost unblockable and really stood out as a competitor. I don’t think his measurables are an issue, and I think his height matched his style of play well because it allow him to out leverage his opponents.

• Melvin Ingram lacks size and length, but makes up for it with explosion off the line and gets into the backfield with ease.

• Brandon Thompson flashed some explosion inside, and looks a good fit as a 4-3 DT.
  • Kheston Randle showed some power inside and tossed some O-lineman around when he got leverage. He’s a much better run defender than pass rusher and I like his as a 3-4 DE.

• Tony Jerod-Eddie really showed some power with some strong bull rushes and has good size as a potential 3-4 DE at 6’4” 301lbs and 34 3/8 inch arms.

• Janoris Jenkins is by far the best CB at the Senior Bowl and I would have no problem taking him in the first round. He is undersized, but he is a quality cover corner and I think he is probably the #3 CB in the draft behind Claiborne and Kirkpatrick.

• Dwight Bentley flashed some ability, but he still needs some work, especially against double moves. Brandon Boykin is another guy that showed some ability and great athleticism, although he too is undersized

• Brandon Taylor is an intelligent and physical player who I think would fit well in the secondary. Markel Martin also looked good on the 1 play I saw of him breaking up a pass to a TE.

• Chris Rainey is FAST, and he burnt Jenkins deep on 1 play, however Jenkins came back to break up the next ball. Rainey needs a lot of work on his route running, but you can’t teach world class speed.

• Juron Criner has been a favourite of mine for a while and he looked pretty good, especially when making the catch of the day with a 1 handed catch thrown too far inside. Although he measured in a bit shorter than expected at 6’2”, he has HUGE hands and uses his body well. And he still hasn’t had the opportunity to show off his best asset, his ability after the catch.

• Joe Adams looked really good, and is really quick in and out of his breaks. I think he is going to be a good player in the NFL as a WR/KR guy.

• Dwight Jones was a little disappointing, but the biggest concern for me was the size of his hands. They are only 9 inches, which is tiny for a guy his size and much smaller than all of the other big WR’s. To put it into perspective, his hands are the same size as sub 5’8” Marquise Maze. I think it could explain some of his issues catching the ball and is a big red flag

• Jeff Fuller looks good at 6’4” with a huge wingspan, but he really wasn’t impressive to me. He is really slow off the line and takes a long time to build up his speed. He is also really slow in and out of his breaks and will struggle to gain separation. If he was more physical it wouldn’t be as much of a problem, but he is soft and is really going to struggle gaining separation and getting off the line against press coverage. His hands are also poor and he doesn’t compete at all.

• I think Ladarius Green could be a guy to watch at TE. He needs a lot of work as a blocker, and really needs to bulk up because he is 6056 237lbs. He has huge upside as a pass catcher and I think he could be a solid option in the 4th round.
  • Zach Brown showed his elite athleticism in coverage, and Butch Davis thinks he could even play SLB in a 4-3 due to his wrestling background. He even holds the North Carolina record for the indoor 60 meters. If we stick with a 4-3 I think he is definitely a guy to look at.

• I also like the look of the two Texas LBers Emmanuel Acho and Keenan Robinson, even though Acho did get beat once in coverage. I think both are solid mid round options.

Great write up. I am leaving my scouting until after the super bowl. Hopefully i will be a bit better informed of the prospects at least in the 1st 3 rounds.

Quote:
OLB Shea McCLellin of Boise State continues to impress since making the move to linebacker. He destroyed several running backs and fullbacks this morning in pass-rushing drills in which he simulated standing up over a tackle.

My binky right there. Poor mans Brooks Reed with a lot of upside.

Unfortunately he's not supposed to be very good against the run and holding the edge so you might want to prepare yourself to be disappointed.

Bugger! I've already lost one of my binkys into the mid first Round (Mark Barron). Now I might lose another:

(Jamell) Fleming jumps off my notes. So tough to separate from him, physical at line. I'm calling it, Top 25 pick.

Bugger! I've already lost one of my binkys into the mid first Round (Mark Barron). Now I might lose another:

I finally took your advice and watched some of Fleming during the North Practices, and I can see why you like him. He looks like a very good press man corner, and once he gets his hands on you, its all over. I would have liked him to be a bit closer to 6'0" but he has long arms and big hands to make up for it. So I would definitely be interested in him, just not in the 1st round.

The other guy from the North Practices that I saw that impressed me was Donnie Fletcher from BC. I had him in one of my mock drafts in the middle of the season based on scouting reports, but after seeing tape of him I took him out. The games I saw of him, BC was playing either a off man or soft zone coverage and he was consistently giving up way too much cushion and easy 8 to 10 yard completions. It was almost like watching the Pats vs Steelers game all over again. However, watching him in practice, in press man coverage, I think he really has some potential. He is a bit stiff, which really effects his ability to play off and turn and run with guys, but with his size (6002) and length (30 inch arms), when he is able to press at the line and be physical he can be very effective. I don't like his as much as someone like Trumaine Johnson who has superior size and athletecism, but if he's available in the late 3rd/early 4th I think he is worth a look, especially if the Pats look to incorporate more press man coverage into their scheme.

Former late round binkies rising out of Patriot reach means you're doing it right.

Keep doing what you're doing, Manxman!

Former late round binkies rising out of Patriot reach means you're doing it right.

Absolutely, and it's going to hurt, I know from experience. I lived the Da'Quan Bowers rollercoaster from the very first game of 2010 all the way to the 2nd round of the draft. Starting as a 2nd round pick who hadn't lived up to expectations, moving his way up to #1 overall contention and out of reach of the Pats thanks to the Raiders success. Then all the way back to the mid 2nd round due to injury, without the Pats taking him. I've learnt my lesson, don't get too attatched, no matter how perfect you think your guy could fit. But it is a very good sign when you can see these guys, before they start getting the national media attention and rising fast.

Jake Bequette hasn't looked good so far at LB...wish they would move him back to DE

Yeah, I'm with you: Fleming's been on my Grid for a LONG time.

Like Brother Hoge said: If you're doing it right, MOST of your Binkies will get plenty of air under them. Personally, I'm not even INDULGING in the fantasy that Michael Brockers will escape the Top 10!!

Don't worry about ONE guy's take, though: Jamell Fleming ~ as well as Trumaine Johnson, another Mid Rounder Binkie of mine and other of the Brethren, here, such as Brother Wifork ~ will very likely STILL be a pretty good Value, come Draft Day. :cool:

Great write up. I am leaving my scouting until after the super bowl. Hopefully i will be a bit better informed of the prospects at least in the 1st 3 rounds.

Concur!! GREAT write up...I, too, will be rejoining the fray ~ after a LOT of preliminary work over the next 10 days!! ~ on Day 1 of the 2012 Campaign, which is of course the morning after the Super Bowl!! :D

@Wilfork75 -
Good write up on the South Practice. Though I don't see any mention of Patrick Edwards.. Did he practice? Or did he just not stand out?

Upshaw has got "Steelers" written all over him. They freaking LOVE players of his size, intensity and skill-set.

Last edited:
Upshaw has got "Steelers" written all over him. They freaking LOVE players of his size, intensity and skill-set.

yeah, he's kind of a woodley type.

To be fair, Brother Grid was on to Fleming before me.

I also had Casey Hayward in one of my earliest mocks. Looks like he's climbing too and will be a 2nd to 3rd rounder.

@Wilfork#75

Re Donnie Fletcher. Apparently Patriots scouts have shown interest in him so you might not be too far off the mark.

I'm developing a mancrush on WR Juron Criner, Arizona. Every time I see him he seems to be making circus catches.

I'm developing a mancrush on WR Juron Criner, Arizona. Every time I see him he seems to be making circus catches.

Welcome aboard, I've been driving the Juron Criner Bandwagon for most of the season. Its good that some others are finally catching on. Even Rob Rang, who recently had Criner ranked as a 7th/UDFA is starting to take notice.
Arizona WR Criner quieting critics at Senior Bowl - CBSSports.com

The fact that guys like Rang are suprised by his performance tells me they haven't even watched tape of the kid, because he isn't doing anything that he didn't do the past few seasons at Arizona. And he hasn't even shown off his best skill yet, his YAC ability. I've said for a while I think he could work his way into the 2nd round, and unfortunately I could be right. Watching him on tape I think he is a perfect fit here. His got a big body, but runs good routes, is great after the catch and does everything at speed. Add in the fact that he is also a deep threat because of his size, body control and ability to track the ball, and I think he would be perfect here. I also love the fact that he has 10 1/2 inch hands, the 4th biggest overall at the Senior Bowl, and the biggest amongst WR's and TE's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes