PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Offseason Outlook - Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
With the Pats season over and free agency (hopefully) and the draft still a ways away, I figured this would be a good time to look back - and look forward - with some discussion at each position on the team.

Offensive Line
Matt Light (free agent)
Logan Mankins (free agent)
Dan Koppen
Stephen Neal (injured reserve)
Sebastian Vollmer

Dan Connolly
Nick Kaczur (injured reserve)
Quinn Ojinnaka (free agent)
Ryan Wendell
Mark LeVoir
Rich Ohrnberger
Steve Maneri (practice squad)
Thomas Austin (practice squad)

Last edited:
Free Agency of Matt Light, Logan Mankins Headline Uncertain Offseason for Patriots' Offensive Line - Jeff Howe - NESN.com

Hot Topic
Light and Mankins are free agents, and the belief is that the Patriots will work to keep both of them in town. Mankins should be the top priority, but there's no telling how much ill will remains between Mankins and the organization. If he is interested in returning to New England, the Patriots have the resources to make it happen. Light shouldn't demand as much money as Mankins, and if the left tackle is willing to take a hometown discount to finish his career in New England, the two sides should have an easy time working it out. But if Light is looking to find the biggest payday possible, it seems like an almost-certainty that another team will bowl over the three-time Pro Bowler with an enticing contract offer.

Offseason Question
Will Stephen Neal retire?

For the first time in the last 12 months, Neal seemed a little perturbed with the retirement questions he faced as he cleaned out his locker last week. We can read into that a million different ways, but the fact is that Neal said he wouldn't make a decision on his future until he finished rehabbing his right shoulder, which required season-ending surgery. The 34-year-old has missed 28 regular-season games since 2006, and he has only played a full season twice in his career (2004 and 2005).

When healthy, the right guard has been a valuable member of the Patriots' offensive line. His contract runs through 2011, so the decision is his. If both Neal and Mankins return next season, Neal and Connolly would battle for the starting job at right guard.

Key Rankings for Pats O-line
2nd in rushing touchdowns
9th in rushing yards
10th in yards per carry
4th fewest in sacks allowed

I want Mankins back and Vollmer at LT, plus a whole new right 60% of the line. Koppen needs to go, Connolly needs competition, and it's probably not best to plan on Kaczur as the RT for the whole season.

My first move would be to talk with Dante.....which of our backups can start in this league? If we have to take a small step backwards to get younger so be it, as long as TB remains upright.
I dont see how anyone would pay Mankins the same $$ that we could go get Woodley for.... Big money guys make plays! I know what Mankins does but he does not make plays. Sorry. I think Light is well-liked and is more likely to take the home town discount.....but coming off a Pro Bowl year his cost is going up too. Vollmer can easily play LT, Light cant play RT. We do have Kazcur coming back, and I think he is the wildcard. Connolly is servicable if unspectacular. If Neal is healthy I think he comes back, he is GOOD if he is healthy. Koppen is starting to look bad and sloppy. He is under contract so he is back but if Ornberger or one of the backups cant step up soon Dante will have to train a new pleeb. If it were my money...
LT-Vollmer
LG-Connolly--maybe RG/C next year
C-Koppen--last year
RG-Neal--last year
RT-Kaczur--or LG

Draft 1 interior and 1 OT, a highly drafted RT may kick Kaczur back to competing for LG but it still looks like we should have options without Mankins and Light. With our multiple TE formations our Tackles wont be left on islands all that much anyways.

My first move would be to talk with Dante.....which of our backups can start in this league? If we have to take a small step backwards to get younger so be it, as long as TB remains upright.
I dont see how anyone would pay Mankins the same $$ that we could go get Woodley for.... Big money guys make plays! I know what Mankins does but he does not make plays. Sorry. I think Light is well-liked and is more likely to take the home town discount.....but coming off a Pro Bowl year his cost is going up too. Vollmer can easily play LT, Light cant play RT. We do have Kazcur coming back, and I think he is the wildcard. Connolly is servicable if unspectacular. If Neal is healthy I think he comes back, he is GOOD if he is healthy. Koppen is starting to look bad and sloppy. He is under contract so he is back but if Ornberger or one of the backups cant step up soon Dante will have to train a new pleeb. If it were my money...
LT-Vollmer
C-Koppen--last year
RG-Neal--last year
RT-Kaczur--or LG

Draft 1 interior and 1 OT, a highly drafted RT may kick Kaczur back to competing for LG but it still looks like we should have options without Mankins and Light. With our multiple TE formations our Tackles wont be left on islands all that much anyways.

Thank goodness you have no power regarding Patriots decisions.

Last edited:
LT-Vollmer
C-Koppen--last year
RG-Neal--last year
RT-Kaczur--or LG

Do you want Brady to make it through the season?

LT-Vollmer
C-Koppen--last year
RG-Neal--last year
RT-Kaczur--or LG

You're the guy who predicted the Pats would take Gronk, Cunningham and Spikes in the 2nd round lat year right? Don't think anyone had even predicted 2 correct picks for the entire draft before that never mind getting 3 picks in the correct round. Amazing. Don't know how you pulled that off.

Any opinion on Ohrnberger? I know he hasn't played much but what are your thoughts on him?

Future Focus: Offensive tackle - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston - Mike Reiss

First instinct: The tackle spot was solid in 2010, with 10-year veteran Matt Light on the left side and Vollmer on the right. Both were 16-game starters, giving the Patriots stability and a high level of play.

Storyline not to be overlooked: Light’s future, as his contract expires and he will be a free agent when there is a new collective bargaining agreement. Both sides have expressed interest in extending his deal -- probably in the two- to three-year range -- when the time is right (likely after a new CBA is reached). If Light is not back, Vollmer probably flips to the left side and opens the right side for competition.

Future: Vollmer and Kaczur are both signed through 2012. With Kaczur coming off back surgery that sidelined him all of 2010 and scheduled to earn a base salary of $3.4 million in 2011, one wonders if management -- which has been high on him in the past -- will now view him as too expensive to keep on the books. Kaczur’s future could wind up being tied to Light’s, or a possible high draft choice. Elsewhere, the Patriots have felt comfortable with LeVoir (signed through 2011) when he’s been pressed into duty, and thought highly enough of Maneri (signed through 2012) to claim him on waivers from the Texans and keep him on the 53-man roster for three weeks in 2010. Free agent Quinn Ojinnaka could also return.

Final thought: One of the big questions entering 2010 was where Vollmer would play -- left tackle or right tackle. He was named a second-team Associated Press All-Pro on the right side. While he has shown the ability to swing, the return of Light on a two-to-three-year deal, and keeping Vollmer at right tackle, seems like the best 1-2 punch.

Will the Patriots franchise Logan Mankins if a new contract is not agreed upon before March 3rd?

It Is What It Is -- League still plans on having franchise tag in place next month -- Christopher Price

In a sitdown with a handful of reporters on Thursday afternoon, an NFL spokesman talked about the financial consequences of a possible lockout, and one of the things that came up was the fact that the league expects the franchise tag to still be in place for teams to use this year, beginning in February. With the looming labor uncertainty, there was some question as to whether or not the franchise tag would still be in place.

This should have an impact on the Patriots when it comes to sitting down at the bargaining table with free agent Logan Mankins. New England has commonly used the franchise tag on players while they continue to negotiate with them — they did it last year with Vince Wilfork, and also did it in the past with former kicker Adam Vinatieri — and could use it as they talk with Mankins about a new deal.

Future focus: Center & guard - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston - Mike Reiss

Koppen started all 16 games and was the trigger-man on 310 shotgun snaps that resulted in a pass attempt, the eighth highest total in the NFL. Koppen didn’t have a botched shotgun snap this season, a key stat because of how often the Patriots use the shotgun.

Logan Mankins is likely to receive the franchise tag and Neal, who is scheduled to earn $3 million, is unlikely to be back at that high figure.

Storyline not to be overlooked: Potential big changes at center and guard. Mankins and Neal represented the top of the depth chart at guard. Meanwhile, Koppen enters the final year of his contract, so grooming a potential replacement at center could be on the team’s radar.

Future: Guard is arguably most wide open position on the roster and it wouldn’t be a surprise if the Patriots address it with an early draft pick because of the uncertainty of Mankins’ situation. Connolly is a Russ Hochstein-type option that winning teams need to have; he’s signed through 2011. Wendell, Ohrnberger and Austin have all came up through the pipeline and will be given a chance to emerge.

Final thought: There are plenty of examples of draft picks stepping right in and making an impact at center and guard -- Maurkice Pouncey (No. 18, Steelers, 2010), Alex Mack (No. 21, Browns, 2009), Ben Grubbs (No. 29, Ravens, 2007), Nick Mangold (No. 29, Jets, 2006) and Chris Snee (No. 34, Giants, 2004) to name a few – so it’s a realistic expectation for the Patriots to find an immediate starter early in the draft.

These are the best examples of guards and centers who were nfl ready. I would add "Logan Mankins, No. 32, patriots 2005)

I would also note that ALL these players were picked before the 35th pick in the draft. If we don't have Mankins (and want a top center also), we will be using 2 of our top 3 picks.

Final thought: There are plenty of examples of draft picks stepping right in and making an impact at center and guard -- Maurkice Pouncey (No. 18, Steelers, 2010), Alex Mack (No. 21, Browns, 2009), Ben Grubbs (No. 29, Ravens, 2007), Nick Mangold (No. 29, Jets, 2006) and Chris Snee (No. 34, Giants, 2004) to name a few – so it’s a realistic expectation for the Patriots to find an immediate starter early in the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's be clear. This is a mess. We will likely need THREE rookie to bring in and start over the next two years. We could need 3 this year.

VOLLMER the rock at RT (and maybe at LT)
LIGHT free agent
MANKINS free agent
KOPPEN in the last year of his contract
NEAL we can have him back for a $6M a year ($3M for half a season)
KACZUR we can have him back for $3M a year
CONNOLLY good to have as a backup
WENDELL good to have as a backup
OJINNAKA free agent who is a good backup

I haven't heard anything about Steve Manieri. Has he in fact signed a futures contract with the Pats? Or anyone?

I haven't heard anything about Steve Manieri. Has he in fact signed a futures contract with the Pats? Or anyone?

Yes he has. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the 3rd tackle next season. The Pats obviously like what they see.

I would definitely be surprised to see him be the 3rd tackle. That would mean that he is the Game Day backup at LT and RT. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the 4th tackle.

Re: 2011 Offseason Outlook - Linebacker

You can't win with Connolly in the AFC playoffs. A major upgrade is needed at the right guard position.

Ludicrous statement right there. Based on what? 1 Playoff game? You're basically saying that Connoly is the reason they lost!

Darius Butler was responsible for the NY Jets slot receiver.

You obviously need to see that play again. The entire team is playing zone, but Spikes is covering LT man to man. Cotchery is wide open in the zone that Spikes should have been occupying. Notice also that Spikes was benched after that series for the rest of the game.

Upgrading the New England Patriots offensive line is one of the highest priorities for the 2011 NFL Season.

So you want to upgrade the most solid unit on the best offense in the NFL. Great for you! I suppose you think that any OL who gives up a sack or misses a block should be upgraded.

32 is not that old for an OL. Jeff Saturday is 35. So is Flozell Adams. Chad Clifton is 34. Kreutz is 33.

Light, Koppen, and Kaczur all have 2 good years left. And as I mentioned earlier, it's a lot easier to find Guards than Linebackers in the draft.

Last edited:

So is it your contention that inside linebacker is of greater priority than the offensive line?

The offensive line, particularly if Mankins leaves, is in dire straits. It's funny that you say Koppen has two good years left; that seems to assume that in the twilight of his career he'll manage a higher level of play than he did this season. I find that proposition unlikely, at best.

Ah yes! The Steelers really exploited those LBs - to the tune of 133 passing yards. And Heath Miller killed them with 2 receptions!

I think a lesson in remedial logic is in order. What you've just written is textbook confirmation bias, and incidentally this has manifested repeatedly in your arguments (Connolly is sufficient because he only had one bad game, Spikes and Guyton should be upgraded because of one bad play, etc.)

Furthermore, perhaps you didn't notice but the Steelers didn't need to pass the ball much because they were having plenty of success running the ball down the throats of the Jets defense. Using your logic, we can conclude that the Jets linebackers are flawed in all facets of the game, because despite run defense being their putative strength, they just couldn't get it done in the AFCCG.

Last edited:

Ludicrous statement right there. Based on what? 1 Playoff game? You're basically saying that Connoly is the reason they lost!
Dan Connolly was by far the worst offensive lineman for the New England Patriots in the 2010 AFC Divisional Playoffs. Sean Ellis owned the right side of the New England Patriots offensive line in the first half.

So you want to upgrade the most solid unit on the best offense in the NFL. Great for you! I suppose you think that any OL who gives up a sack or misses a block should be upgraded.
The New England Patriots offense gave up five sacks to the NY Jets in the 2010 AFC Divisional Playoffs. It's far more important to keep the New England Patriots franchise upright than marginally upgrade the inside linebacker position.

32 is not that old for an OL. Jeff Saturday is 35. Kreutz is 33.
Saturday and Kreutz were former Pro-Bowlers while Dan Connolly is a stiff. Apples to oranges, there is no comparison between Kreutz, Saturday versus Connolly let alone Nick Kaczur.

Light, Koppen, and Kaczur all have 2 good years left.
That's pure speculation on your part. Matt Light is an unrestricted free agent while Nick Kaczur is recovering from back surgery. Dan Koppen has been a lightening rod for criticism on the PatfsFans message board this season.

And as I mentioned earlier, it's a lot easier to find Guards than Linebackers in the draft.
The New England Patriots are committed to rebuilding the defense via the NFL Draft. It's far more important to re-sign Logan Mankins and maintain some continuity on the offensive line while the New England Patriots seriously upgrade the right offensive guard position via the 2011 NFL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back