Welcome to PatsFans.com

2011 Offseason Outlook - Offensive Line

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by jmt57, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0

With the Pats season over and free agency (hopefully) and the draft still a ways away, I figured this would be a good time to look back - and look forward - with some discussion at each position on the team.

Offensive Line
    Matt Light (free agent)
    Logan Mankins (free agent)
    Dan Koppen
    Stephen Neal (injured reserve)
    Sebastian Vollmer

Dan Connolly
    Nick Kaczur (injured reserve)
    Quinn Ojinnaka (free agent)
    Ryan Wendell
    Mark LeVoir
    Rich Ohrnberger
    Steve Maneri (practice squad)
    Thomas Austin (practice squad)
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  2. jmt57

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0

Free Agency of Matt Light, Logan Mankins Headline Uncertain Offseason for Patriots' Offensive Line - Jeff Howe - NESN.com

Key Rankings for Pats O-line
    2nd in rushing touchdowns
    9th in rushing yards
    10th in yards per carry
    4th fewest in sacks allowed
  3. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -0

I want Mankins back and Vollmer at LT, plus a whole new right 60% of the line. Koppen needs to go, Connolly needs competition, and it's probably not best to plan on Kaczur as the RT for the whole season.
  4. jeffbiologist

jeffbiologist Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My first move would be to talk with Dante.....which of our backups can start in this league? If we have to take a small step backwards to get younger so be it, as long as TB remains upright.
    I dont see how anyone would pay Mankins the same $$ that we could go get Woodley for.... Big money guys make plays! I know what Mankins does but he does not make plays. Sorry. I think Light is well-liked and is more likely to take the home town discount.....but coming off a Pro Bowl year his cost is going up too. Vollmer can easily play LT, Light cant play RT. We do have Kazcur coming back, and I think he is the wildcard. Connolly is servicable if unspectacular. If Neal is healthy I think he comes back, he is GOOD if he is healthy. Koppen is starting to look bad and sloppy. He is under contract so he is back but if Ornberger or one of the backups cant step up soon Dante will have to train a new pleeb. If it were my money...
    LT-Vollmer
    LG-Connolly--maybe RG/C next year
    C-Koppen--last year
    RG-Neal--last year
    RT-Kaczur--or LG

Draft 1 interior and 1 OT, a highly drafted RT may kick Kaczur back to competing for LG but it still looks like we should have options without Mankins and Light. With our multiple TE formations our Tackles wont be left on islands all that much anyways.
  5. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +812 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

Thank goodness you have no power regarding Patriots decisions.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  6. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +222 / 17 / -2

I agree with you 100%!

7. Dufflebagz

Dufflebagz Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Do you want Brady to make it through the season?
    [​IMG]
  8. larryo

larryo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You're the guy who predicted the Pats would take Gronk, Cunningham and Spikes in the 2nd round lat year right? Don't think anyone had even predicted 2 correct picks for the entire draft before that never mind getting 3 picks in the correct round. Amazing. Don't know how you pulled that off.

Any opinion on Ohrnberger? I know he hasn't played much but what are your thoughts on him?
  9. jmt57

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0

Future Focus: Offensive tackle - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston - Mike Reiss

10. jmt57

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0

Will the Patriots franchise Logan Mankins if a new contract is not agreed upon before March 3rd?

It Is What It Is -- League still plans on having franchise tag in place next month -- Christopher Price

11. jmt57

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0

Future focus: Center & guard - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston - Mike Reiss

12. mgteich

Ratings:
    +222 / 17 / -2

These are the best examples of guards and centers who were nfl ready. I would add "Logan Mankins, No. 32, patriots 2005)

I would also note that ALL these players were picked before the 35th pick in the draft. If we don't have Mankins (and want a top center also), we will be using 2 of our top 3 picks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011
  13. mgteich

Ratings:
    +222 / 17 / -2

Let's be clear. This is a mess. We will likely need THREE rookie to bring in and start over the next two years. We could need 3 this year.

VOLLMER the rock at RT (and maybe at LT)
    LIGHT free agent
    MANKINS free agent
    KOPPEN in the last year of his contract
    NEAL we can have him back for a $6M a year ($3M for half a season)
    KACZUR we can have him back for $3M a year
    CONNOLLY good to have as a backup
    WENDELL good to have as a backup
    OJINNAKA free agent who is a good backup
  14. The Gr8est

The Gr8est Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I haven't heard anything about Steve Manieri. Has he in fact signed a futures contract with the Pats? Or anyone?
  15. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -0

Yes he has. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the 3rd tackle next season. The Pats obviously like what they see.
  16. mgteich

Ratings:
    +222 / 17 / -2

I would definitely be surprised to see him be the 3rd tackle. That would mean that he is the Game Day backup at LT and RT. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the 4th tackle.
  17. bucky

bucky Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: 2011 Offseason Outlook - Linebacker

Ludicrous statement right there. Based on what? 1 Playoff game? You're basically saying that Connoly is the reason they lost!

You obviously need to see that play again. The entire team is playing zone, but Spikes is covering LT man to man. Cotchery is wide open in the zone that Spikes should have been occupying. Notice also that Spikes was benched after that series for the rest of the game.

So you want to upgrade the most solid unit on the best offense in the NFL. Great for you! I suppose you think that any OL who gives up a sack or misses a block should be upgraded.

32 is not that old for an OL. Jeff Saturday is 35. So is Flozell Adams. Chad Clifton is 34. Kreutz is 33.

Light, Koppen, and Kaczur all have 2 good years left. And as I mentioned earlier, it's a lot easier to find Guards than Linebackers in the draft.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  18. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +325 / 6 / -7

So is it your contention that inside linebacker is of greater priority than the offensive line?

The offensive line, particularly if Mankins leaves, is in dire straits. It's funny that you say Koppen has two good years left; that seems to assume that in the twilight of his career he'll manage a higher level of play than he did this season. I find that proposition unlikely, at best.
  19. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +325 / 6 / -7

I think a lesson in remedial logic is in order. What you've just written is textbook confirmation bias, and incidentally this has manifested repeatedly in your arguments (Connolly is sufficient because he only had one bad game, Spikes and Guyton should be upgraded because of one bad play, etc.)

Furthermore, perhaps you didn't notice but the Steelers didn't need to pass the ball much because they were having plenty of success running the ball down the throats of the Jets defense. Using your logic, we can conclude that the Jets linebackers are flawed in all facets of the game, because despite run defense being their putative strength, they just couldn't get it done in the AFCCG.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  20. ATippett56

ATippett56 Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

Dan Connolly was by far the worst offensive lineman for the New England Patriots in the 2010 AFC Divisional Playoffs. Sean Ellis owned the right side of the New England Patriots offensive line in the first half.

The New England Patriots offense gave up five sacks to the NY Jets in the 2010 AFC Divisional Playoffs. It's far more important to keep the New England Patriots franchise upright than marginally upgrade the inside linebacker position.

Saturday and Kreutz were former Pro-Bowlers while Dan Connolly is a stiff. Apples to oranges, there is no comparison between Kreutz, Saturday versus Connolly let alone Nick Kaczur.

That's pure speculation on your part. Matt Light is an unrestricted free agent while Nick Kaczur is recovering from back surgery. Dan Koppen has been a lightening rod for criticism on the PatfsFans message board this season.

The New England Patriots are committed to rebuilding the defense via the NFL Draft. It's far more important to re-sign Logan Mankins and maintain some continuity on the offensive line while the New England Patriots seriously upgrade the right offensive guard position via the 2011 NFL Draft.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.