PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2008 Draft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.) If I meant "better" in that I thought they were better, that would be called an opinion.

2.) Mayo was rated below many other players in the draft. By no means was he a unanimous top 10 pick. People who had him rated lower would not be happy that he was picked there.

It's how the draft works. It's not arrogant to have a different opinion than someone else. If there was only one evaluation, they wouldn't need a draft, would they? They could just slot every player and assign them to the individual teams.

Your post wasn't written as opinion, it was stated as unequivocal fact.

Rated lower by who?? Don't you see the insanity in suggesting players should be picked based on how other people rate them?

"If there was only one evaluation, they wouldn't need a draft, would they? They could just slot every player and assign them to the individual teams."

Ergo, the term "reach" is meaningless.

Thanks for arguing my point for me.

Yes. They are so valued that the Patriots don't bother to use them. Neither do the Ravens. And I believe there are a couple of other teams as well.

So, the only thing that is ABSURD is you claiming that their opinions mean a damn thing.

No, what's really absurd is you trying to pick a fight over the word 'reach' when you already know full well that I used it properly. Given that 'some' teams use those opinions, the notion that they don't mean a damned thing is just another example of DaBruinz with a wild hair across his ass.

Your post wasn't written as opinion, it was stated as unequivocal fact.

Rated lower by who?? Don't you see the insanity in suggesting players should be picked based on how other people rate them?

"If there was only one evaluation, they wouldn't need a draft, would they? They could just slot every player and assign them to the individual teams."

Ergo, the term "reach" is meaningless.

Thanks for arguing my point for me.

Wow, you struggle with English comprehension, I see.

No, what's really absurd is you trying to pick a fight over the word 'reach' when you already know full well that I used it properly. Given that 'some' teams use those opinions, the notion that they don't mean a damned thing is just another example of DaBruinz with a wild hair across his ass.

I think the issue here is that your definition of reach is based on "consensus opinion" when that really doesn't mean anything if that consensus doesn't include the Patriots.

For all we know, the Patriots thought Wheatley was the only DB left who would fit their particular system. Whether he would be the X ranked player in some other system is meaningless. Then, if they're afraid he's going to be taken by another team who's system he fits before they get the chance to pick again, is that still a reach?

Not to the Patriots, and honestly, what's more important, that the Pats get who they want, or the ego of mock drafters?

Last edited:
I think the issue here is that your definition of reach is based on "consensus opinion" when that really doesn't mean anything if that consensus doesn't include the Patriots.

For all we know, the Patriots thought Wheatley was the only DB left who would fit their particular system. Whether he would be the X ranked player in some system is meaningless. Then, if they're afraid he's going to be taken by another team who's system he fits before they get the chance to pick again, is that still a reach?

Not to the Patriots, and honestly, what's more important, that the Pats get who they want, or the ego of mock drafters?

Look, I understand full well that the Patriots don't give a damn what other people think. That means that they don't mind reaching for players, they don't care what people think about them seemingly taking 900 tight ends every draft, etc...

That has nothing to do with talking about 'reaches'. If a linebacker would have been available in round 4, but he is taken in round 2, it was a reach, even if he becomes the best linebacker in NFL history as a rookie. The idea of "reach" has to do with the perceived proper manipulation of the draft.

Using the ridiculous and quaint notions of Lampshade and DaBruinz, nobody would be able to criticize Matt Millen for his recent drafting. That alone should have clued them in about their arguments.

Look, I understand full well that the Patriots don't give a damn what other people think. That means that they don't mind reaching for players, they don't care what people think about them seemingly taking 900 tight ends every draft, etc...

That has nothing to do with talking about 'reaches'. If a linebacker would have been available in round 4, but he is taken in round 2, it was a reach, even if he becomes the best linebacker in NFL history as a rookie. The idea of "reach" has to do with the perceived proper manipulation of the draft.

Using the ridiculous and quaint notions of Lampshade and DaBruinz, nobody would be able to criticize Matt Millen for his recent drafting. That alone should have clued them in about their arguments.

Matt Millen's track record is also... well... do I really need to say it? :D

I'll criticize anyone for getting something wrong, but I have to see on the field that they got it wrong first. Bethel Johnson was a reach, not because of how he was perceived at the time, but how he ended up.

In that same boat, Ben Watson is on the bubble of a reach. He's shown spurts, but at 32 overall I'd expect him to be a great TE right now. He's good, but not great.

BB isn't perfect, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise on the field.

*bump*

Day Two, boys and girls. And we've got to be alert pretty early as we've got three picks in Round Three.

Can't wait.

ok here we go. I would like Highsmith, Connor for LB and Godfrey for CB is the too much too ask for :rolleyes:

ok here we go. I would like Highsmith, Connor for LB and Godfrey for CB is the too much too ask for :rolleyes:
Highsmith and Connor don't fit in a 3-4, IMO.

Yeah I know what you are saying but I still consider them the best LB left IMHO so I would think they could be made to fit better then grabbing someone that is not as talented that has the body type. I know this is a differemce in opinion

Miami has traded down 2 spots and Detroit is on the clock...

Lions taking Kevin Smith, RB, Central Florida.

Like him.

1. Cliff Avril #16
2. Jeremy Zuttah #35
3. Charles Godfrey #46
4. Shawn Crable #47
5. Craig Stevens #51

Also rans: Orlando Scandrick has the speed they are looking for if not the mental toughness. Tyvon Branch has everything but may be better suited to safety. Oneil Cousins is a athletic type on the o line as is Tony Hills.

I'm predicting Avril or Crable to Miami at 66.

Rams take John Greco OG Toldeo passing Zuttah.

Last edited:
Rams take John Greco, a guard from Toledo who had been compared a lot to Kaczur. Might have been on our board.

FWIW, I had a dream last night where the Pats traded up to #64 . . . to take Erik Ainge. :bricks:

Miami takes Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton.

Liked him.

Miami takes the 3-4 DE Langford

Godfrey to Carolina

Last edited:
There goes Godfrey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes