PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2 Head Coaches - 6 Super Bowl Rings = Respect all around

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This meeting of 2 legendary coaches is the first in the history of the NFL.

Never in history before have 2 Head Coaches met in a game to which 6 Super Bowl Rings have been won between the two (both with 3).

Joe Gibbs entered Canton in 1996 - Belichick in 20??

You know both teams will be well prepared for battle as only are expected with the resumes of the players respective leaders.

I hope everyone who attends the game gives respect to not only the best HC to ever coach the home team but also to one of the very best HCs of all time in Gibbs - The man had always had class and if he were not so involved in his family and getting burned out which made him quit in 1992 then who knows how many more SBs he would have won.

This is going to be a matchup of 2 of the greatest coaches and motivators this sport of professional football has ever seen on this sunday and this may very well be the last time these 2 meet if one decides to retire before the next meeting does come along so enjoy the game,It should be a good chess match with 2 very smart men leading the way!

Everything you said is true but people who watch the Skins weekly know the game has passed Gibbs by. I remember a while back, he would take so long selecting the play, his offense would rack up delay of games regularly (i havent watched them this year). Also, blowing his load on a third WR who can run the option pass once a season was a horrible move. He also threw all that money at Brunell and then drafted Campbell in the 1st round (the pick was a great move, the FA signing not so).

Everything you said is true but people who watch the Skins weekly know the game has passed Gibbs by. I remember a while back, he would take so long selecting the play, his offense would rack up delay of games regularly (i havent watched them this year). Also, blowing his load on a third WR who can run the option pass once a season was a horrible move. He also threw all that money at Brunell and then drafted Campbell in the 1st round (the pick was a great move, the FA signing not so).

Plus not having one of my all time favorite Running Backs hurts a bit too.

John Riggins was simply a freight train and the toughest S.O.B. I have ever seen run with the ball and this includes over some of the great all time fullbacks like Czonka ect:

Portis is a very good runner but no Riggins - There may never be another Riggins in a Redskins uniform again.

Not to forget Dexter Manley who was another monster but on the other side of the skins.

Never in history before have 2 Head Coaches met in a game to which 6 Super Bowl Rings have been won between the two (both with 3).

You know both teams will be well prepared for battle as only are expected with the resumes of the players respective leaders.

I hope everyone who attends the game gives respect to not only the best HC to ever coach the home team but also to one of the very best HCs of all time in Gibbs - The man had always had class and if he were not so involved in his family and getting burned out which made him quit in 1992 then who knows how many more SBs he would have won.

This is going to be a matchup of 2 of the greatest coaches and motivators this sport of professional football has ever seen on this sunday and this may very well be the last time these 2 meet if one decides to retire before the next meeting does come along so enjoy the game,It should be a good chess match with 2 very smart men leading the way!

foolish to overlook Belichick's 2 rings from the NYG

5 v 3

I was wondering that -- if there had ever been a "6 ring" game...good info.

Pat64 -- Thanks for the kind words on Gibbs...Unfortunately, a lot of people, notably most Redskins fans, are negative about Gibbs. But people forget what he inherited:
4 coaches in the previous 3 and a half seasons.
Terrible drafting (1st rounders on Patrick Ramsey and Rod Gardner, a 2nd on Taylor Jacobs).
Bad personnel - Ramsey at QB; Trung Canidate at RB....I could keep going, but that gives you a feel for it.
And worst of all, a terrible culture. Their top player (Champ Bailey) was hell-bent on leaving and as a whole, it was just a soft football team.

He's had some misses as a GM, but its been mostly good -- the drafts have been very solid: Taylor, Campbell, Landry, Cooley, McIntosh, and Rogers have been his high picks and Rogers is the only one that has had some struggles -- although even he has been decent. The team plays hard and plays tough, physical football -- That wasn't the case when he showed up. The play calling is frustrating, but its hard to know how much of that is him vs. Saunders...Either way, I think he's brought in some good young talent that should serve as a foundation for the team, whether he's here or not down the road -- not unlike what Parcells did in Dallas. Hopefully Danny won't screw it up.

It'll be a tough matchup for sure and I'm fully expecting the L. My hope is that they can learn from it, learn to put more faith in Campbell, and be ready to whip up on the Jets in a week and a half -- which I'm sure you guys won't mind seeing.:)

I was wondering that -- if there had ever been a "6 ring" game...good info.

Pat64 -- Thanks for the kind words on Gibbs...Unfortunately, a lot of people, notably most Redskins fans, are negative about Gibbs. But people forget what he inherited:
4 coaches in the previous 3 and a half seasons.
Terrible drafting (1st rounders on Patrick Ramsey and Rod Gardner, a 2nd on Taylor Jacobs).
Bad personnel - Ramsey at QB; Trung Canidate at RB....I could keep going, but that gives you a feel for it.
And worst of all, a terrible culture. Their top player (Champ Bailey) was hell-bent on leaving and as a whole, it was just a soft football team.

He's had some misses as a GM, but its been mostly good -- the drafts have been very solid: Taylor, Campbell, Landry, Cooley, McIntosh, and Rogers have been his high picks and Rogers is the only one that has had some struggles -- although even he has been decent. The team plays hard and plays tough, physical football -- That wasn't the case when he showed up. The play calling is frustrating, but its hard to know how much of that is him vs. Saunders...Either way, I think he's brought in some good young talent that should serve as a foundation for the team, whether he's here or not down the road -- not unlike what Parcells did in Dallas. Hopefully Danny won't screw it up.

It'll be a tough matchup for sure and I'm fully expecting the L. My hope is that they can learn from it, learn to put more faith in Campbell, and be ready to whip up on the Jets in a week and a half -- which I'm sure you guys won't mind seeing.:)

I always give credit where credit is due and for some of the guys on here who think Gibbs time has passed while it may be somewhat of some truth there (although it isn't his total fault like you said) it is also noted that if these guys had actually witnessed Gibbs coaching in his prime they would likely have more respect for him.

Many of these guys in here who only know Belichick as THE ONLY legendary HC and on an island by himself were probably still in diapers or wetting thier pants when Gibbs and Walsh were simply Annihilating the competition in the 80s and early 90s - You see the remarkable teams like the Redskins and the 49ers was amazing just like our Patriots today.

For the guys who are not in thier 40s or near 40,boy did they miss those dominating teams and the only way for them to see those games is obviously by replay on NFL network or some classic football channel which does not fully show overall what an awesome group of players the Skins had back then and of course those big OL hogs who as it seemed to me gave Theismann more time to throw than any QB in history.

I am a Patriots fan for 30 years and bleed red,blue and silver but I give respect for where its due and definately Gibbs has earned mine forever from his early success on that superb mid 80s team,We have an equal here in Belichick and those 3 rings on each of these guys fingers are all deservingly so through hard work,smarts and skills on know how to grow a team into championship caliber form.

The score of this game will be the best argument yet for why coaches should be allowed in Canton BEFORE they retire. :D

I agree with what you say and am glad to see it posted out here. I would, however, add that Gibbs is an example of the old saying "You can never go home again." In the time he was out of the game, the game and its players clearly evolved in ways that did not fit either his style or understanding. That doesn't diminish what he accomplished. It just says that things continually change, even for the very best.

The score of this game will be the best argument yet for why coaches should be allowed in Canton BEFORE they retire. :D

If you guys think BB is a lock for Canton after the cheating, you're in for a suprise.

If you guys think BB is a lock for Canton after the cheating, you're in for a suprise.

the league disposed of videogate in less than a week (no competitive advantage) when they realized how many teams would be exposed similarly were they to dig deeper.

The media (like a dog with a bone) can't give it up 6 weeks later. The longer Easterbrook gives this story legs, the more we will prove that the better team wins on the field.

of course BB is a lock for the HOF.

While Gibbs achieved his in a different age, before the cap and the same degree of free agency, one can't take anything away from him in terms of coaching ability.

He certainly was able to keep more talented players in that age - but one could make the case that BB's had better talent than other teams too - in part given his "cult of personality" that attracts better players to want to be here taking a discount - skewing the cap in our favor to a degree

BB probably deserves more credit for achieving that, but overall there's every reason to give Gibbs the respect he deserves.

foolish to overlook Belichick's 2 rings from the NYG

5 v 3
What The F. Who counts head coaches as SB winners when they were co-ordinators ? If that's the case, give Norv Turner, what 4 ?

That's just wrong man. What a homer.

What The F. Who counts head coaches as SB winners when they were co-ordinators ? If that's the case, give Norv Turner, what 4 ?

That's just wrong man. What a homer.

GFY

Belichick's defensive gameplan is enshrined in Canton.

The original post was in regards to HC rings, and my tongue-in-cheek response was to illustrate that Coach Belichick in fact possesses FIVE Championship rings that he EARNED.

what a putz

One more chump that I'll be glad to lose from this site after Sunday.

Last edited:
I agree with what you say and am glad to see it posted out here. I would, however, add that Gibbs is an example of the old saying "You can never go home again."

When Gibbs came back, the first thing that came to my mind was Bill Walsh going back to coach at Stanford in the '90s. Let the beloved memories lie.

GFY

Belichick's defensive gameplan is enshrined in Canton.

The original post was in regards to HC rings, and my tongue-in-cheek response was to illustrate that Coach Belichick in fact possesses FIVE Championship rings that he EARNED.

what a putz

One more chump that I'll be glad to lose from this site after Sunday.
He gets credit for 3 rings. PERIOD.

the league disposed of videogate in less than a week (no competitive advantage) when they realized how many teams would be exposed similarly were they to dig deeper.

The media (like a dog with a bone) can't give it up 6 weeks later. The longer Easterbrook gives this story legs, the more we will prove that the better team wins on the field.

of course BB is a lock for the HOF.

The media picks HOF inductees. He is not a lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back