PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

19-0 in 2009 ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they start off 8-0. I'll really have to think about it. But realistic expectations would be 14 wins and hopefully another championship.

One issue that came up in the 2007 season and which surely would come up again is if the Pats are undefeated with 2 games to go and they have home field locked up, do you put Brady at risk to try to go undefeated or do you put in the backup and hope for the best.

My take is, that 2007 was a once-in-a-century event and will not be repeated, maybe never again will a team win all their regular-season games, especially now that it looks like there will be more than 16 regular season games.

I want to see a 19-0 in 09 so bad because i can't find a reason to refuse it.:D:D:singing:

Do you want the same thing???;)
Of course.

Every fan from every team would want to see their team go 19-0; why wouldn't they?

But any fan of any team, in any given year, expecting their team to go 19-0 is delusional and lacking objectivity. Just because the Pats came one game away from doing it two years ago is no reason to expect for an undefeated season this year.

Babe Ruth struck out more often than he hit a home run. Tom Brady not only does not complete every pass, but he sometimes turns the ball over on a fumble or interception. And sometimes Bill Belichick makes a coaching decision that he wishes he could have back.

These kind of expectations are way too high and are setting the groundwork for disappointment. Will heads have to roll after a 13-3 or 12-4 season? If a CB gets beat for a TD in a loss are we all going to scream for him to be cut the next week? When Tom Brady throws an interception will somebody start a 'we shoulda' kept Cassel' thread before the replay is finished?

An undefeated regular season happens what, once every thirty years? And an undefeated season including playoffs happens what, once every hundred years? So why are we talking about the Pats going 19-0? How about a bit of respect to our opponents and talking about what we have to do tow in the division, get a first round bye, or how the Pats stack up against the Steelers, Colts and Chargers?

Sorry, but I find this 19-0 talk a bit presumptuous.

One issue that came up in the 2007 season and which surely would come up again is if the Pats are undefeated with 2 games to go and they have home field locked up, do you put Brady at risk to try to go undefeated or do you put in the backup and hope for the best.

My take is, that 2007 was a once-in-a-century event and will not be repeated, maybe never again will a team win all their regular-season games, especially now that it looks like there will be more than 16 regular season games.

This is very good analysis. I feel like this time around, they definitely sit Brady with two games left and home-field decided. Even BB will not possibly risk the him getting injured in lieu of what happened last season. I think he realizes the importance of winning another SB this decade and what that means to solidifying this team as one of the greatest ever. Also, you're right about that whole thing being a once-in-a-century occurrence, though many teams this decade have hit the 13-0 mark. However, if any team can repeat the 16-0 feat, I believe it's the team that did it already and is retooled this season. With that said, though, I find it very hard to believe it'll happen again for a while at least. Like I said in an earlier post, so many things have to go right for 16-0, and the even greater 19-0, to occur. Everyone here must remember the number of close games that the Patriots had to pull out in the nick of time, especially down the stretch. I think in our "spoiledness" we're forgetting just how difficult it is for NFL teams to win and just how much one bad call or one bad bounce or one key injury can change the outcome of a game, and hence, the season.

The 2007 season was an anomaly for the Patriots. Injuries were pretty much a non-factor for most of the season (I'm not talking about the minor cuts and bruises). All of the bounces and calls went in their favor in just about every game as well. Whenever they needed a big play, they made one. Things like that all have to fall in line again.

Not to sound too pessimistic, as I want to believe that anything is possible, but here is why I think it will be extremely hard to do:

1. The bottom line is that winning on the professional level in any sport is EXTREMELY difficult. I do believe that we are a bit spoiled around these parts because we're used to the Patriots being so good for so long. We saw them almost go 19-0 and think that it should be a piece of cake since they have Brady back, BB is still at the helm, they upgraded the weapons, etc. What we overlook sometimes is that so many little lucky things happened for them that year, whether it was a certain bounce of the ball, a lucky break from the refs, etc.

2. The 2009 schedule, at least on paper, looks like it will be a lot more difficult for the Patriots to navigate. The AFC East is better, and the non-division games are ridiculous - Baltimore and their vaunted defense, Tennessee will still be tough despite the loss of Haynesworth, Indianapolis is always tough (I am not counting them out like most others), and even New Orleans and Houston could be tough. Also, let's not forget that the only team that BB DOES NOT have a winning record against this decade is Denver.

3. The defense is much younger. While this presents a vast improvement in overall team speed, it also means that mistakes will be made early and often as this new team, particularly the secondary, tries to gel. The losses of Vrabel and Harrison will be felt in terms of leadership. They may have been getting old and their statistical production may have been declining, but it will be tough to replace the knowledge, passion, and leadership they brought each time they stepped onto the gridiron.

4. The offensive line may be a problem. I, for one, am not at all sold on this group. I felt all year long in 2007 that they were an overrated group. Unfortunately for all of us, they showed it in the most important game of the season. Really, they began showing signs later in the year. It just took a highly motivated and nasty bunch, the Giants D-Line, to really expose them. Losing Neal in the early going of the SB was a HUGE loss. Which leads me to . . .

5. Injuries. What can you say about them? Injuries come when you least expect them and at the most inopportune times. The team just didn't have to deal with them in 2007 (not big ones), other than the loss of Colvin midway through the season and then Neal in the SB. I never hear anyone mention it, but I think the loss of Colvin that year truly hurt the Patriots going into the SB more than we realize. It forced them to have to move Adalius back outside, but I felt he was playing so well inside. Colvin had a knack for stepping up in big games and making the game-changing or game-clinching play. Remember, he was part of the game-clinching play against Indianapolis to preserve that win.

Those are just a few reason why I think it'll be tough for the Patriots. I invite anyone to make a list of why they think the Patriots could/will do it again just to provide the other side of it. The list I compiled features just some of the things that I think could potentially present problems, but make no mistake about it, I really do hope that the team can do it again. I do not proclaim to be an expert or anything like that. This is just my little observation. To be quite honest, I know that BB wants it. I know he's seething at the thought of not finishing the deal. He will never mention it publicly or even to his players, but you know it's burning inside him.

Assuming we make the playoffs, I just hope we win our last game.

Do I want it? Of course I do. Why wouldn't I? Why wouldn't ANYONE want their team to go undefeated?

That being said, I don't think it's going to happen and we were very lucky to go 16-0 in 07. I think I speak for everyone when I say I just want a Superbowl win.

While I would love 19-0, I would much rather see them win SB more than anything else. Watching Pats losing to Giants in SB and breaking that streak was one of the most painful experience of my life....

I agree with some of the previous posters on this thread--it's been a draining experience as a fan to go through the rollercoaster ride that was 2007. It was fun for awhile, but it got sickening to see everyone want the Pats to lose. It became an obsession for fans across the country. Our team was so good people had no weakness to criticize, but they had to search for our team's weakest positive. The media would start criticizing how terrible our run defense was and how a team like Jax would run all over us. I can't count how many times I heard this, it was disgusting.

I would prefer to have the Pats fly under the radar with a nice string of 1pm games instead of the night games. 10-6 and a SB title would be a dream for me, but I think I might be asking for too much. I take nothing for granted man--it's been a dream ride the last 8 yrs with Brady and Belichick. Wins are gonna be tough with this 2009 team--lots of new faces, a young suspect secondary and an unimproved pass rush. Unfortunately, I can see our defense getting lit up early on in the season. It will take some time for the new faces on the defense to gel--I hope people won't jump off the cliff when those 3rd and 16s are getting converted like we saw in 2008. The offense will be ridiculous I think. Our RB core is our biggest depth and strength position--we are gonna be a clock killer this year with Brady playing a bit behind the scenes and making plays only when he needs to so he's not putting his health at risk so much. I am very excited about this season, but I don't have Super Bowl fever like I did before the 2004 and 2007 seasons. I am just not feeling "it" with this team. This 2009 team has so many question marks to think Super Bowl right away--I think IND and NE took a step back with loss of personnel and coaching changes, while PIT and SD stayed strong this offseason. I think patience will be very important as fans and seeing the transitioning of youth will be an exciting experience. Super Bowl isn't impossible, but it's a bit of a reach.

Last edited:
I'm sure we said the same this time last season and then Brady got hit on the knee, first quarter of first game

any given sunday

Personally in 2007 with the 16-0, the blowouts, spygate etc, I thought the team looked washed out by the SB. This year if we're 13-0 with homefield I hope BB starts resting the starters and gives guys like KOC a game

Last edited:
One thing that I do think gets lost in all of the 2007 stuff is that Seymour missed half the season, and wasn't even close to 100% for the second half. For all intents and purposes, the 2007 defense has subtracted Vrabel, Samuel, and Harrison, and added Meriweather (rookie then, playmaker now), full-strength Seymour, Springs, Bodden, and Mayo. Obviously an over-simplification, but I do like this defense better than the one we had in 2007.

Let's just get a Superbowl. I couldn't careless about anything less. Just winning the Superbowl again. This season won't be failure if its not 19-0. It will be a failure if its trophyless.

That said I don't see why it can't happen, but I won't be too sad if lose a game PROVIDED the silver football is in our cabinet early 2010......................

Blader.

If we go 14-2 (or whatever) and win the Super Bowl, we lock up Team of the Decade, and there is no debate about it.

If we go 19-0, we are the Greatest Team Ever. That's it, end of story, all the talking heads can try to dispute it all they want but they will really not have a leg to stand on.

I never cheer for my team to lose, but it's not the end of the world if we do. As long as the Lombardi is hoisted by Bill Belichick in February, I'll be happy. Just locking up team of the decade is enough for me. :)

Just win it all. 8-8 wildcard and then win it all - fine with me.

Just win it all. 8-8 wildcard and then win it all - fine with me.

Personally, I would be very disappointed with an 8-8 season, even if they
won the SB. :(
I want a convincing season all the way!
No .."they were lucky to get in the playoffs and lucky to make to the superbowl ".... :blahblah:

The different is HUGE. The greatest TEAM EVER.:D

You're confusing a claim to having the "greatest season" ever with a claim to having the "greatest team" ever.

The Belichick/Brady Pats are already part of any knowledgeable discussion of which team qualifies as "the greatest team ever." What would put them at the top of that discussion is a fourth ring in the Belichick/Brady era, post cap and free agency. They would then have a very strong claim to superiority over the Noll/Bradshaw/Steel Curtain and the Walsh/Montana/Seifert teams. To my mind, no one seriously puts the 18-0 fins team, as great an accomplishment as that was and which de facto qualifies as "the greatest season ever", on the same plateau as those teams in a discussion of what is "the greatest team ever," whereas the Belichick/Brady Pats are part of that discussion already, along with the Landry/Staubach teams of course.

To my mind, trying to go 19-0 is more of a hindrance to attaining that goal than a help. Other posters have made great comments on the "grind" and the pressure it puts on the team, so I won't repeat those points.

Last edited:
Personally, I would be very disappointed with an 8-8 season, even if they
won the SB. :(
I want a convincing season all the way!
No .."they were lucky to get in the playoffs and lucky to make to the superbowl ".... :blahblah:

Well, a dominating performance would be more satisfying in certain ways, but I don't think it's possible to be "disappointed" if your team wins it all. It would just be a different route to get to the same desired destination. Anyway, the only SB teams' regular season records that I know about are the Pats. Like, I have no idea what the Bucs record was in 2002, or even the Giants in 2007. Most people forget about that stuff and just remember the SB winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes