PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

16-0 in 08 is feasible

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had defense the past 3 years, even in the Indy AFC title game they sucked it up for a couple of key stops. What we always fail to do is RUN THE FOOTBALL. Look at the Brady/Belichick era - what years did we pose a strong power running game? 2001, 2003, 2004. What years did we go mainly with the pass? 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007.

Don't you think April might be a tad early for the undefeated talk?:)

I think that quote is based on the assumption that the offense doesn't DETRACT... with the 2006 Bears, you could have had the 85 Bears D and they wouldn't have won the Super Bowl :rolleyes:

I agree. They got an interception and on the next play Grossman fumbled the snap.:D

I'll never actually root for the team to lose a game, but when it happens next regular season (and it will), I will be relieved.

I never cared about 16-0 last year. I got into so many debates about it on this board with people being pretty nasty about it. I remember after the last regular season game people were crowing about it like it was the greatest thing ever and shouting down those who thought it might actually be creating too much pressure and scrutiny on the team. I'd just as soon see someone else be the media focus of next year. I'd take 12-4 and a first round bye right now and not look back.

Put another way, I'd trade our season last year for the Giants's season without ever thinking about it. Other than seeing Mercury Morris unhappy, I could care less. I'm genuinely convinced that 16-0 was counterproductive last year, and that if we'd lost to the Ravens we'd be super bowl champs right now.

Put another way, I'd trade our season last year for the Giants's season without ever thinking about it. Other than seeing Mercury Morris unhappy, I could care less. I'm genuinely convinced that 16-0 was counterproductive last year, and that if we'd lost to the Ravens we'd be super bowl champs right now.

I think about that Baltimore game a lot, mainly because I was there. If we had lost, and then gone on to win it all, it would have been the greatest upset in NFL history...easily. They were 24-point 'dogs, 4-8 on a 6-game skid, playing with a backup QB and they were VERY close to pulling it off.

So how would we view the season if we had won the Super Bowl and had that loss to stomach? Would we be kicking ourselves for blowing 19-0 to a really bad team? Would we be upset that we had to settle for "one of the greats" instead of "the greatest"?

I'll never actually root for the team to lose a game, but when it happens next regular season (and it will), I will be relieved.

I never cared about 16-0 last year. I got into so many debates about it on this board with people being pretty nasty about it. I remember after the last regular season game people were crowing about it like it was the greatest thing ever and shouting down those who thought it might actually be creating too much pressure and scrutiny on the team. I'd just as soon see someone else be the media focus of next year. I'd take 12-4 and a first round bye right now and not look back.

anyone who says they dont care about 16-0 is a liar. Thats all there is to it.

I have a proposal for this upcoming season. We should all adopt the Patriots philosphy, and focus on one game at a time.

If there's an article about a potential second undefeated regular season, hijack the thread with a breakdown of part of the upcoming game. If any trolls stop by and remind us how close we were last year, we talk about reasons why the current upcoming matchup will go a certain way.

Not that it will affect the team at all, but there would be something about trying to adopt the Belichick mindset that would show a sense of Patriot fan unity, and make 16-0 irrelevant. In week one, all that matters is 1-0. In week two, all that matters is 2-0, or 1-1.

I dunno, I'm probably just guilty of an idealistic rant. Or I'm WAY too anxious for this season to start already!

I have a proposal for this upcoming season. We should all adopt the Patriots philosphy, and focus on one game at a time.

If there's an article about a potential second undefeated regular season, hijack the thread with a breakdown of part of the upcoming game. If any trolls stop by and remind us how close we were last year, we talk about reasons why the current upcoming matchup will go a certain way.

Not that it will affect the team at all, but there would be something about trying to adopt the Belichick mindset that would show a sense of Patriot fan unity, and make 16-0 irrelevant. In week one, all that matters is 1-0. In week two, all that matters is 2-0, or 1-1.

I dunno, I'm probably just guilty of an idealistic rant. Or I'm WAY too anxious for this season to start already!

And how would that help the Pats again?

i'm not talking about 19-0 at this point and i will open another thread for that after we reach 16-0. This is our chance to do it again because nobody has done it.

Last edited:
And how would that help the Pats again?

"Not that it will affect the team at all"

Believe I said that.

It WON'T help them. But it may help us from going insane.

anyone who says they dont care about 16-0 is a liar. Thats all there is to it.

I'm pretty firmly on record and was last year. You can read my posts about it. I understand this is a foreign concept to many, but it's been my consistent view and will not change this year.

I don't care. The only sense in which I give a crap is that I'd be disappointed the week we lost that we lost. Just as I always am when we lose. But that's all. I won't care more and I won't care less than for any other loss. Last year, once we got to 14-0 and had the bye locked up, I did not care in the slightest what happened.

When they decide that the tropy goes to the team with the most wins, I'll care. Until then, the trophy is the thing.

Last edited:
So how would we view the season if we had won the Super Bowl and had that loss to stomach? Would we be kicking ourselves for blowing 19-0 to a really bad team? Would we be upset that we had to settle for "one of the greats" instead of "the greatest"?

Wow -- that's a really good question. Of course, in hindsight, we'd all take the loss right now, right? I mean, if we were 14-1 going into the Giants game, they probably rest their starters and we probably do the same, and they don't have momentum going into Dallas, etc. The pressure is off us, maybe the Matt Walsh Spygate II stuff isn't quite as vitriolic, the undefeated pressure is different, etc.

But that's only knowing what we know about the last minute of the season. If it had happened that way, and we won the super bowl, and we'd never known of the outcome that played out in real life, how would we view it? Great question. Unknowable, of course, but great question.

But it may help us from going insane.

Every pats fan went nut when we lost our SB. If you look at our 08 schedule, you will see that the opportunity is there. In order for us to do that, we need to play consistently during regular season and playoff season. We can't run out of gas in the end.

Everybody in Boston will go nut when Celtic, Redsox,and Patriots win championship.

We need to have a goal before doing anything because we have something to fight for.

I love how "16-0" has become taboo on this board. Anyone who mentions it happening again is ridiculed and their threads get bad ratings.

Sad.

I love how "16-0" has become taboo on this board. Anyone who mentions it happening again is ridiculed and their threads get bad ratings.

Sad.

I'm not seeing the ridicule. I'm really not.

I see people disagreeing about whether it matters. 18-1 is a good record. There's no doubt about it. I think only 3 teams have done it. Unfortunately, I'd much rather our season ended like the other two.

I guess I don't understand what significance 16-0 has, on its own. It seemed to cause a lot more problems than it was worth last year.

I'm not seeing the ridicule. I'm really not.

I see people disagreeing about whether it matters. 18-1 is a good record. There's no doubt about it. I think only 3 teams have done it. Unfortunately, I'd much rather our season ended like the other two.

I guess I don't understand what significance 16-0 has, on its own. It seemed to cause a lot more problems than it was worth last year.

What problems did it cause last year?

What problems did it cause last year?

I think it caused a mounting and almost intollerable cauldron of pressure and negative media focus that was crushing at times and wore the team down in the later stages of the year.

That's unprovable, of course, but, what's also clear is that it caused week 16 to be meaningful, which, in turn, turned around the season and gave momentum to the team that ultimately beat us.

Still haven't really heard a very strong suggestion why, in a 19 game season, winning the first 16 has any particular relevance or why it's any better, say, than winning the first 10, losing the next one, and then winning the next 8. The fact that "nobody had done it before," while interesting doesn't seem to mean much at all.

I think it caused a mounting and almost intollerable cauldron of pressure and negative media focus that was crushing at times and wore the team down in the later stages of the year.

That's unprovable, of course, but, what's also clear is that it caused week 16 to be meaningful, which, in turn, turned around the season and gave momentum to the team that ultimately beat us.

Still haven't really heard a very strong suggestion why, in a 19 game season, winning the first 16 has any particular relevance or why it's any better, say, than winning the first 10, losing the next one, and then winning the next 8. The fact that "nobody had done it before," while interesting doesn't seem to mean much at all.

1.) It's a 16 game season, not 19.
2.) What they did has never been done before.
3.) If it didn't mean anything, how would that possibly jibe with your 'cauldron of pressure'?

Sad.

Now tell me who in this forum gives a sh!t about what thier rating of thier post is?

To any one that does - Please Get a life if you really care about what people think of your posts

Like there is people in here you have to impress when in reality they may very well be unemployed fat guys living in a low income housing project and typing in thier underwear :eek: and on top of that you don't even know them?

Last edited:
I'd rather not. If I had a choice we'd lose early in the season then go balls out. Good thing I don't have a choice. However, Looking back I feel going 16-0 put insurmountable pressure on the team going into the playoffs. By the middle of the season it seemed they were doing nothing but hunting for the next record to break. At the time I didn't care but in hindsight I feel it caused the team to peak too soon. By the 3rd part of the season they'd ran out of gas and were escaping games by the skin of thier teeth. They didn't improve and seemed almost looked like they were getting worse.

If they go 16-0 so be it. If they lose I will be disappointed but It'll be the easiest loss to get over. Well as long as it's not the Jets, Indy or San Diego.

My worthless $0.02.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft