PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

10 Toughest Patriots Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Brady, Kevin Faulk

Welker is a pretty tough lil sumbich....Grogan and Plunkett did take a beating well.

Ted Johnson should get some recognition. Was noted by Emmitt Smith as one of the hardest hitters he ever faced, and I think he broke a Dolphin OL's helmet in half with a collision?

Bledsoe has to be on the list, I always thought he was the toughest SOB around.

A guy who is about 5'6" and runs through defenders like they were invisible.....Danny Woodhead is my new addition :rocker:

Don't forget about Tony Franklin, Kicking without a shoe :eek:

Corey Dillon is a great inclusion. That dude was as tough as nails.

I cant believe no one has mentioned him yet...........Daryl Stingley ring a bell?? Toughest Patriot EVER hands down.

What has been proven here is the difficulty of determining a top 10, the reality is that there have been a lot of tough baztards on our teams..

Brady has to be on this list...take that freak knee injury out and he would have a freaking long streak of not missing games.And hasn't he played these last seasons with multiple injuries? If you looked at his performance you wouldn't think it to be true.If he was an ugly redneck SOB like Favre or Manning everybody would consider him tough.

Also Wilfork...for a guy that big and the position he plays he has been amazingly durable *knock on wood*.I remember that 1 game last year...i think it was against the Packers where he was in almost every snap because of D-line injuries...i feared he would have a heart attack but the dude never slowed down.

Welker deserves atleast an honorable mention or to be on the list...Since becoming a Patriot he's caught more passes than anybody going over the middle and has taken some knock-you-out-silly hits and hasn't missed a beat.No easy task being the slot go to guy.Look at Austin Collie....dude is in his 2nd year and is well on his way to brain damage.

Last edited:
I would never want to get on the wrong side of Willie Mc Ginest.

Old school: Bryan Cox.

Older school: Julius Adams

For all of us old enough to remembers the absolute beatings he used to take, not have Steve Grogan on the list is a shame, personally I would have to him on the top of the list. When is the last time you saw a QB with a neckroll????

With all of his "secret" injuries that require surgeries after seemingly every season, including a hernia, I'd put Brady on that list.

Seymour was a tough bastard.

Adam V, mentally tough.

Bledose was alot tougher than he gets credit for.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Brady played a good amount of 2009 with broken ribs and a banged up shoulder. He's one of the tougher Patriots of all time for sure.

Everyone is forgetting about Asante Samuel. Don't you remember those bone crunching hits and how he threw his body around?

;)

In addition to those already mentioned, I would consider nominating Houston Antwine, Mosi Tatupu, Bob Gladieux, Steve Kiner, Bob Windsor, Ray Hamilton, Shelby Jordan and surely some others I am forgetting. If you're going by position then the kicker should be Vinatieri; unlike most kickers he was often in on tackles.

That was vs Buffalo in 1997 or 1998 when they won at the last second after Drew ignored Petey's timeout signal, if I remember correctly.

Good memory - was that the same game where he ignored Pete?

I remember that moment well. It was clear the players had no respect for their coach and he needed to go from that moment on.

As far as Bledsoe - yes... anyone who was a fan at that time moves Bledsoe way up on the list for playing with that staple in his finger.

Bledsoe Will Play With Pin in Finger - Los Angeles Times

Bledsoe was lacking in many areas - mobility, vision, the short game - but toughness was not one of them, and more fans should give him more credit for that.

Last edited:
Andre Tippett should be at the top of the list. He has a black belt in karate and was a beast on the field.

Andre Tippett should be at the top of the list. He has a black belt in karate and was a beast on the field.
Yeah, that's right! One of the reasons why I wanted to take karate...other than black belt magazine and the whole ninja fad of the 80's.
I think everyone covered the toughest (ability, endurance,attitude) players...my 2 cents off the top of my head...
Steve Grogan-the neckroll comment in prev post says it all.
Rodney Harrison
Corey Dillon!
Kevin Faulk
John Hannah-duh
Tom Brady
Drew Bledsoe
Troy Brown
Wes Welker
Tedy Bruschi
Rich Seymour
Ty Law
Lawyer Milloy was a good hitter