PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will we receive compensatory draft picks for Welker and Woodhead?

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
They’ve played well for their new teams so does that put us in line for any type of draft picks in 2014?

Lost in UFA
Welker
Woodhead
Chung
Thomas

Added in UFA
Amendola

I do not know how the formula works in terms of being awarded but I we did lose 4 players who are all starter types on their new team (Thomas is on IR) will we see anything in return?

They’ve played well for their new teams so does that put us in line for any type of draft picks in 2014?

Lost in UFA
Welker
Woodhead
Chung
Thomas

Added in UFA
Amendola

I do not know how the formula works in terms of being awarded but I we did lose 4 players who are all starter types on their new team (Thomas is on IR) will we see anything in return?

The primary factor in determining compensation is average annual value on the contract. Starting is almost irrelevant (OTOH, if a player gets cut too soon, no comp pick results), except near the cutoffs (i.e., a player who starts every game but would otherwise be a high 6 might become a low 5).

The expectation here from other posts is the Pats are likely to get two 6s (Welker and Amendola more-or-less cancel each other out).

The primary factor in determining compensation is average annual value on the contract. Starting is almost irrelevant (OTOH, if a player gets cut too soon, no comp pick results), except near the cutoffs (i.e., a player who starts every game but would otherwise be a high 6 might become a low 5).

The expectation here from other posts is the Pats are likely to get two 6s (Welker and Amendola more-or-less cancel each other out).

The one comment I'd add is that Svitek was expected to be a qualifying free agent -- he was expected to cancel Woodhead, which is where the two 6s come from (Chung and Thomas).

Svitek has not appeared in a game this year and thus his total salary may be wind up being under the comp pick threshold. Woodhead has played very well this year. Given that, I think there is a possibility that the Pats could obtain a 7th rounder either for Woodhead directly, or under the net players lost significantly outweighing the net players gained category. I'm not banking on it, though, but I think it's a possibility.

A couple of clarifications here:

Svitek has not appeared in a game this year and thus his total salary may be wind up being under the comp pick threshold.

As a minor point, he's actually played ~1% of offensive snaps, and about 13% of ST snaps (extra points/FGs, I believe). [FWIW, there's almost no precedent for a player with a qualifying contract not counting simply because he ended up not playing.]

Woodhead has played very well this year. Given that, I think there is a possibility that the Pats could obtain a 7th rounder either for Woodhead directly, or under the net players lost significantly outweighing the net players gained category. I'm not banking on it, though, but I think it's a possibility.

That only happens when the number of agents gained and lost are the same. For example, if the Pats had only lost Welker and only signed Svitek, the best they could hope for is one of those "quality difference" 7s. Since they also have Chung and Thomas, they won't get an extra quality difference pick.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back