PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receiver Depth Chart Predictions

JaredOfNazareth

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Wide Out:
1) Stallworth: the only way he doesn't have the best stats at the end of the season is if he misses games.

2) Gaffney/Caldwell: it really could go either way. If both are healthy after camp they may split time here. Who's the better #2?

Flanker/Slot:
Strong Side
3) Washington: the only reason I can think of as to why he was hired is to block from the slot so Maroney can run off tackle between K. Brady(6'6, 280)and K. Wash(6'3, 220). Other ideas? He apparently is a sucky route runner.

Weak Side
4) Welker: was signed for his KR and PR skills. He is what he is and that is here at #4. Maybe Caldwell/Gaffney?

5) The loser of the Caldwell/Gaffney TC battle.

As for the rest...Jackson and Brown... too questionable.

Some roles are more easily defined.

I really have to wonder if someone is going to get cut, a la Gaffney last year.

None of these guys besides Welker is a special teams' demon, and that's what #4 and down on the depth chart should ideally be. I know Gaffney hasn't played ST before, for whatever reason, and I haven't heard one word on Washington's or Caldwell's production there, most likely due to their injury histories.

If you assume Brown retires and Jackson is #6, that's 5 receivers without much (or any) ST credentials.

I really have to wonder if someone is going to get cut, a la Gaffney last year.

None of these guys besides Welker is a special teams' demon, and that's what #4 and down on the depth chart should ideally be. I know Gaffney hasn't played ST before, for whatever reason, and I haven't heard one word on Washington's or Caldwell's production there, most likely due to their injury histories.

If you assume Brown retires and Jackson is #6, that's 5 receivers without much (or any) ST credentials.

I think all these guys are capable of being solid #2 receivers. I think it comes down to who works the hardest and shows the most consistency. Stallworth should be the #1 guy but I don't really like the thought of him being in that role and next season being gone.

I think this is all a little premature. Free agency is a long way from over, we've got time to sign at least another four receivers in FA and perhaps draft a couple more before we need to start worrying about depth charts and the like. ;)

Welker is the #3, Washington the #4/5.

There's NO way you can tell me Washington is a better WR than Welker.

Gaffney starts as the #4, Washington as the #5.

I think this is all a little premature. Free agency is a long way from over, we've got time to sign at least another four receivers in FA and perhaps draft a couple more before we need to start worrying about depth charts and the like. ;)

HAHAAHAAHAHA!!!:D

Wide Out:
1) Stallworth: the only way he doesn't have the best stats at the end of the season is if he misses games.

2) Gaffney/Caldwell: it really could go either way. If both are healthy after camp they may split time here. Who's the better #2?

Flanker/Slot:
Strong Side
3) Washington: the only reason I can think of as to why he was hired is to block from the slot so Maroney can run off tackle between K. Brady(6'6, 280)and K. Wash(6'3, 220). Other ideas? He apparently is a sucky route runner.

Weak Side
4) Welker: was signed for his KR and PR skills. He is what he is and that is here at #4. Maybe Caldwell/Gaffney?

welker will be 2 or 3 without question

Seeing how Washington doesn't play special teams, I doubt he makes the team. He's basically going to have to prove that he's better than Caldwell and Gaffney. There's no room on the roster for a #4 WR who doesn't play Teams.

Stallworth - 1 Wr

Caldwell 2 Wr

Welker 3 Wr

Washington 4 Wr

Gaffney 5 Wr

Jackson - PUP

No way the team keeps 6 wr.. Jackson is too much of a unknown..

Wide Out:

Flanker/Slot:
Strong Side

Weak Side

Welker will start. He will be at worst the #3 and he will catch 40-50 balls, if not more.

Write it down.

It is very premature to do this but what the hell I'm bored...

#1 Stallworth - He's clearly the guy at least for this season.

#2 Welker - I think he emerges half way through the season as your #2 guy.

#3 Gaffney - He becomes settled in the role vacated by Troy.

#4 Caldwell - Starts the season as your #2 but eventually gets demoted or possibly cut.

#5 Washington - Another Bethel Johnson type that gives you a deep threat in long yardage situations.

Chad Jackson & Troy Brown play minimal roles on special teams if any for the '07 season.

Until Washington proves ANYTHING, he is at the bottom of the depth chart as far as I am concerned.

How anyone can rate him higher than Welker, Caldwell, or even Gaffney is beyond me.

He has done basically SQUAT since he was drafted.

I hope he turns out to be the best WR in the league, but right now, he is the new David Terrell. A shot in the dark... low probability, high upside.

Could someone, and it doesn't haven't to be lengthy, explain the positional requirements in the Patriots three receiver/XYZ offensive scheme? I'm just curious, becuase it will determine how anyone forms a depth chart for this team.

God forbid someone has an actual football related question. ****, fine, go back to arguing about Kelley Washington's TD celebration dance.

Last edited:
1. Stalworth
2. Washington
3. Welker
4. Jackson
5. Gaffney

1) Stallworth
2) Gaffney
3) Welker
4) Caldwell
5) Washington

And they'll all see significant time.

1. Stalworth
2. Washington
3. Welker
4. Jackson
5. Gaffney

Caldwell makes the team over Gaffney. Caldwell starts over Washington.

Fixit said:
1) Stallworth
2) Gaffney
3) Welker
4) Caldwell
5) Washington

Caldwell starts over Gaffney.

I think too many of us are still drunk over Gaffney's playoff performance. He's very much on the bubble in 2007. Caldwell is not.

Caldwell starts over Gaffney.

I think too many of us are still drunk over Gaffney's playoff performance. He's very much on the bubble in 2007. Caldwell is not.

I had to put one of them at #2 and one at #4. I think Gaffney's going to have a very good year. I think Caldwell will have another solid one, as well. Then again, I don't care if Ray Crittenden comes out of retirement to lead the team in catches as long as they're winning.

I had to put one of them at #2 and one at #4. I think Gaffney's going to have a very good year. I think Caldwell will have another solid one, as well. Then again, I don't care if Ray Crittenden comes out of retirement to lead the team in catches as long as they're winning.

Are you making a current depth chart standing or a future prediction?

Just curious.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back