PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is the best Coverage DB on the roster?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who is the best coverage DB on the roster?

• 22 Asante Samuel

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • 27 Ellis Hobbs

Votes: 34 63.0%
  • 30 Chad Scott

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • 32 Hank Poteat

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • 31 Antwain Spann

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 26 Eugene Wilson

• 25 Artrell Hawkins

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownfan80

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I have included our CBs along with Wilson (who has played CB with us) and Hawkins (who, while never with us, has played plenty of CB in his career).

The only players I left off are Harrison, Sanders, and Willie Andrews. I think it's fair about Sanders and Andrews, as Troy Brown played DB ahead of them against the passing game heavy Bengals.

I knew there'd be a Bongos bandwagon. Knew it. :p

Last edited:
Ellis Hobbs is our most complete corner on this team.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Ellis Hobbs is our most complete corner on this team.

Agreed, completely.

It is actually (and obviously) my recent back and forth with NEM that prompted this poll.

I just began to wonder what other Patsfans posters thought about the whole thing.

Obviously with two starters positions open and only one result per person on the poll, we won't find out who most people would have starting at each position, but at very least we can get an idea of what everyone is seeing as they watch the games.

From what I see when I watch Ellis is by far the best CB/coverage DB on the roster.

The real sad thing here is that while Hobbs is our best cover corner, he's no where near the level of a large group of the best cover corners in the NFL.
(Not saying he couldn't develop into one of the elite, but he's not there right now.)

Clearly a talent infusion is needed for at least half the spots in the back 8.

Ellis Hobbs and Asante Samuel our Cornerbacks,but i voted to Asante Samuel ;)

Ochmed Jones said:
The real sad thing here is that while Hobbs is our best cover corner, he's no where near the level of a large group of the best cover corners in the NFL.
(Not saying he couldn't develop into one of the elite, but he's not there right now.)

I completely agree that Hobbs is not an elite corner. But he is above average defender and player. Could he one day end up being a complete corner. I want to say yes but i'll have to see it first. But i think he can in this system.

Ochmed Jones said:

True, but he's only a second year guy. I think he'd already be starting at least at the #2 CB spot for nearly every team in the league. Not bad for a 3rd rounder in his second season.

He may not be a top ten corner, but I think he's top 15 or 20, which is pretty good for his salary and game experience. Sky is the limit for him, IMO.

Chad Scott?? :eek:

I should have turned on the ability to see who voted what, I'd love to know who voted for Scott. lol

Last edited:
Brownfan80 said:
Chad Scott?? :O

I should have turned on the ability to see who voted what, I'd love to know who voted for Scott. lol
I just realized something.

YOU JUST DISRESPECTED RODNEY HARRISON!!!:mad:

Man is he going to be pissed.

Last edited:
SeanBruschi54 said:
I just realized something.

YOU JUST DISRESPECTED RODNEY HARRISON!!!:mad:

Man is he going to be pissed.

Haha, I wondered who would take that angle. :)

But, to be fair, I left him off because he doesn't play CB, I was aiming more at the DBs that come down in man and can play outside.

I guess the results came out about how I expected them to.

Brownfan80 said:
Chad Scott?? :eek:

What no Troy Brown listed?

Seriously, I think Hobbs has more upside but would like to see the Pats resign Samuels. I am thinking we use one of our numbers #1s from 2007 for a CB. Our CBs would look like Hobbs, Samuels, 2007 first rounder, Gay or Scott. It would be a strong group. Either that or wave bye-bye to Samuels and sign Nate Clements, Clements and Hobbs sounds like a pretty sweet tandem.

I agree with everyone. Hobbs impresses me and he is only a 2nd year player so he will get better and better.

cstjohn17 said:
What no Troy Brown listed?

Seriously, I think Hobbs has more upside but would like to see the Pats resign Samuels. I am thinking we use one of our numbers #1s from 2007 for a CB. Our CBs would look like Hobbs, Samuels, 2007 first rounder, Gay or Scott. It would be a strong group. Either that or wave bye-bye to Samuels and sign Nate Clements, Clements and Hobbs sounds like a pretty sweet tandem.

I actually thought about it, being that Troy played ahead of several actual DBs during the Bengals game, but I decided to stick to guys that we'd actually want to see starting back there.

Hobbs is a beast when it comes to jamming, but I like Samuel after that.

I agree. If Hobbs is the best corner, then our front seven will need to expect no corner help in the box for several more years. In addition, all our safeties better be good in coverage.

Our munchkins will continue to be hurt and need safety help.

The answer is indeed an infusion of upgrades in the secondary. The front office certainly has had mixed results and bad luck with the secondary. We call Hobbs and Samuel top corners; that doesn't make it so. Ditto for Gay. I expect Hobbs to be the only one on the squad at this time next year.

We've tried everything at safety. Wilson was a one-year wonder, who still could develop into a top safety, or not. Guss Scott and Sanders have been decent STers.

In the end, Hawkins, Chad Scott and Poteat have been critical additions to this team. I hope we can do better in the future, especially given how many draft choices bb has used for seconday potential.

Of course Harrison was a great pickup. But that pickup was necessary because the FO wanted to cut Milloy, who was fine, and still would be.

To think that Buckley used to be our nickel, with Law and OTIS as starters. Many here seemed to think starting the year that Hobbs, Samuel and Gay were as good. Pass the koolaid.

Ochmed Jones said:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes