PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where will Rowe fit on this D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I am glad we got Rowe but I am unsure of where he goes. As for these first weeks i would not expect much but he will integrate more into the defense as time goes on.

Obviously the guys you don't take off the field are McCourty, Ryan and Butler. Chung is usually on as SS but in more coverage based situations Harmon goes it and it is not unusual for both to be out there.

So assuming Rowe turns into the 3rd CB does he also take the 5th DB spot overall ahead of one of Ryan/Chung/Harmon? Also Ryan has done so well on the outside IDK if I want to move him to a new spot. Rowe might have issues playing the slot though but I am not sure about that. Ryan is probably who you move into the slot but do you risk messing him up?

I am sure Rowe will find a spot but it is going to be interesting to see how core he is by mid season.

Good questions, I was wondering that too. Ryan has done well but I wonder if he would be better in the slot. You still have Coleman to spell him or be the 4th CB. Cyrus Jones can be there for depth and to work him in more slowly for experience. I would like to see Rowe as safety though in some spots. Should be interesting but can't beat all that versatility.

I know there is a lot of talk of him moving Rowe safety but I personally think he will be depth to Ryan & Butler as a CB. With BB, you can never be too sure. But it seems his height would be more helpful to us at CB.

zzzzzzzzz...Wake me when they trade for or sign a good O Lineman.......

It's quite obvious he is going to cover the 6'4 monster WRs we will have to face on a weekly basis. Use his height and length to prevent Hobbs-Burress and Chris Matthews jump ball disasters

We play 5+ DBs on over 80% of the snaps.
I would rank them as, without Rowe
Butler
McCourty
Ryan
Chung (role)
C Jones
Coleman (role)
Harmon
J Jones
Richards

I would assume that Rowe will end up fitting in somewhere from Chung to Harmon, but with 8 DBs that BB would appear confident getting major reps, matchups will certainly come into play.

Does anyone think that BB is possibly creating a Malcolm Butler insurance plan..?

Does anyone think that BB is possibly creating a Malcolm Butler insurance plan..?

I think every player on a 53-man roster is an insurance plan for the next guy. This is the NFL. No team can be confident about having this or that player available next month or next week.

Great depth and in a rare departure year Bill is putting more chips into this year. I think dearly wants to see Brady get another ring THIS year.

Possible. Personally, I'm salivating thinking that it might be (2014) Revis & Browner version 2.0, with Cyrus Jones playing the Kyle Arrington role with added value as a punt returner. Fingers crossed on this.

zzzzzzzzz...Wake me when they trade for or sign a good O Lineman.......

When I heard the news on CBS sports I assumed that Eric Rowe must be some super O-line guy--altho his name sounded more like a DB or WR. Who else, I thought would we give up a 4 and Kline.... anyway, we are still waiting on that effective O-line guy.

Yes, but I think he always does that at varying levels.

Harmon and Ryan as well.

I'm not even sure the Patriots know the answer to that yet.
I think the early positive reaction to this rests on the assumption that he's a big corner. If he is the deep safety he is behind McCourty and Harmon. And on special teams he is behind Slater Ebner and King.

My guess is Bill will move Rowe all around. Will see him on the outside , inside and even playing some at S. That's how Utah used him his final season.

When I heard the news on CBS sports I assumed that Eric Rowe must be some super O-line guy--altho his name sounded more like a DB or WR. Who else, I thought would we give up a 4 and Kline.... anyway, we are still waiting on that effective O-line guy.

What are you talking about?...Still waiting on that effective O-line guy? What does that even mean? Are you saying that we need another offensive tackle? Because I think we'd all like to see another OT added, but effective ones don't just grow on trees. Solder, Thuney, Andrews, Cooper, and Vollmer (when healthy) should be a very effective offensive line.

BB and Patricia have MASSIVE VERSATILITY with these players on their Defense !!

Going to be fun watching the havoc they cause this year !

What are you talking about?...Still waiting on that effective O-line guy? What does that even mean? Are you saying that we need another offensive tackle? Because I think we'd all like to see another OT added, but effective ones don't just grow on trees. Solder, Thuney, Andrews, Cooper, and Vollmer (when healthy) should be a very effective offensive line.

Vollmer and healthy in the same sentence....heh heh heh :)

He's PUP so let's talk in a couple of months.....if he isn't IR'd.

As of now...we are talking Cannon or Fleming.....One starter and one for depth.....

My point about O-line needs has a lot to do with tackles, but why do I have this sense that once again we are going to lose guys along the line early and often. So, by effective, I guess I also meant (a fantasy mostly) someone almost made of iron that is able to hang in there season after season with minimal down time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
Back