PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 3 pre-game discussion... we're on to Oakland...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darren Waller goes 6’6 255 with legit 4.4 speed . JJ Williams might have the height but doesn’t have the speed to stay with him. Jmo I expect the Patriots to double team him all game. Make someone else beat them.

that would be great for him if the game was played in 40 yard sprints.....

sounds like the raiders are set at every position ... I’ve heard that before about other teams

that would be great for him if the game was played in 40 yard sprints.....

sounds like the raiders are set at every position ... I’ve heard that before about other teams

I like how a guy that runs a 4.5 supposedly can't keep up with a 4.4 guy. Ya, maybe if it was a race.

As much as I think Gruden plays 08 Madden in real life, I can't deny that his guys are always playing hard. Carr is very capable of being a great QB, he isn't that old and he has shown signs of "Elite"-ness.

That being said, IMO BB outsmarts Gruden 9 out of 10 times. I expect a victory in this one

Gilmore giving up six inches to Waller , and Waller just as fast as Gilmore . (think power forward on a guard) . I hope they put your best cover cb on him. I like that matchup better than Gilmore on any of the Raiders wr.( he probably makes them non factor)

Gilmore won't be on Waller. Gilmore will be on the 2nd best receiver and Waller will be in bracket coverage the entire game.

I like how a guy that runs a 4.5 supposedly can't keep up with a 4.4 guy. Ya, maybe if it was a race.

on a track.....without pads

fwiw, Waller was 20lbs lighter for that 40 time......and his COD numbers are pedestrian

Last edited:
For people wondering how the Raiders beat the Saints

This was a big game for Brees to try and prove that Father Time isn’t catching up to him, but his performance was no better. He struggled once again to throw the ball downfield, recording a turnover-worthy throw on one of his nine pass attempts that traveled more than 10 yards downfield. And of his five completions on such throws, four were to a receiver who was deemed open (i.e., more than a couple of steps of separation) and all five were to a receiver with at least a step of separation.

He threw the ball six times on second and third down with at least 10 yards to gain, and five of the six passes were short of the sticks — including two checkdowns on second-and 26 and second-and-31 while the Saints were losing in the third quarter.

Through Week 2, Brees is the NFL’s lowest-graded passer on throws of 10-plus yards downfield. Over 65% of his passing yards have come after the catch, the highest rate by nearly 5 percentage points. Brees also has produced the lowest average depth of target (5.2 yards; only one other quarterback is below 6.5).

Add in the Saints playing sloppy penalty ball with 150 yards of penalties, not surprising they lost..

Last edited:
on a track.....without pads

fwiw, Waller was 20lbs lighter for that 40 time......and his COD numbers are pedestrian
Put JJ Williams on Darren Waller and see what happens. D Waller is one of the fastest Tes in the game. Williams isn’t staying with him.

Last edited:
I'm definitely not the Mona Lisa Vito of Xs and Os, but any merit to the idea of having Dugger hit Waller at the los and slow him down before passing him off to Williams? Then Dugger can take an intermediate zone, help in run support, etc. I'd picture having Mccourty as the lone deep safety. Call me crazy but I'm really not concerned about Ruggs. Never thought his game speed matched his 40 time.
You’re basically talking about Cover-7 here, which has a lot of similarities to Cover-1. FS still plays deep but the underneath defenders in man still have the ability to pass their man off. I think we will see a lot of that and I would love to see some Cover-0 again. Nobody on that offense is beating us deep besides Ruggs. Send more than they can block and force Carr to make a quick decision. He struggled with his reads early on against the Saints on Monday night.

Gilmore won't be on Waller. Gilmore will be on the 2nd best receiver and Waller will be in bracket coverage the entire game.
This makes more sense, than saying put JJ Williams on him- he would get abused.
Probably Hunter Renfrow is the Raiders second best wr at this point. ( Doubt Gilmore sees him). Gilmore struggled with DJ Metcalf last week, and B Edwards 6’3 215 ( very strong hands) might give him some problems. Let’s see how Ruggs knee is doing by next week . The Raiders will test the Patriots secondary with his speed.( he opens up for everyone )

I think the Raiders offense line matches up well to the Patriots defense line. I expect them to have a lot success in the ground. Expect heavy dose of a Josh Jacobs.

For people wondering how the Raiders beat the Saints

This was a big game for Brees to try and prove that Father Time isn’t catching up to him, but his performance was no better. He struggled once again to throw the ball downfield, recording a turnover-worthy throw on one of his nine pass attempts that traveled more than 10 yards downfield. And of his five completions on such throws, four were to a receiver who was deemed open (i.e., more than a couple of steps of separation) and all five were to a receiver with at least a step of separation.

He threw the ball six times on second and third down with at least 10 yards to gain, and five of the six passes were short of the sticks — including two checkdowns on second-and 26 and second-and-31 while the Saints were losing in the third quarter.

Through Week 2, Brees is the NFL’s lowest-graded passer on throws of 10-plus yards downfield. Over 65% of his passing yards have come after the catch, the highest rate by nearly 5 percentage points. Brees also has produced the lowest average depth of target (5.2 yards; only one other quarterback is below 6.5).

Add in the Saints playing sloppy penalty ball with 150 yards of penalties, not surprising they lost..
Even Saints fans want Brees benched at this point. Time for Hill and/or Winston to come in.

I think Gilmore would be on Waller if Waller is lined up in the slot. If he’s in tight or off the LOS, however, I think it would Dugger/Williams/some combo of either. You do not want Gilmore to be an in-line run defender.

Put JJ Williams on Darren Waller and see what happens. D Walker one of the fastest Tes in the game. Williams isn’t staying with him.

I'm not putting anyone on anything, but they're not going to be doubling some guy who's catching underneath stuff

Probably Hunter Renfrow is the Raiders second best wr at this point. ( Doubt Gilmore sees him). Gilmore struggled with DJ Metcalf last week, and B Edwards 6’3 215 ( very strong hands) might give him some problems. Let’s see how Ruggs knee is doing by next week . The Raiders will test the Patriots secondary with his speed.( he opens up for everyone )

I think the Raiders offense line matches up well to the Patriots defense line. I expect them to have a lot success in the ground. Expect heavy dose of a Josh Jacobs.
Honesty, I actually don’t think DK gave Gilmore as much of a problem as made it out to be; I believe it was more so Wilson’s pin-point accuracy. Think about it; if you erase that 54-yd TD, Metcalf only has 38 yards. It was really only one big play. There’s no defense for a perfect throw..& Carr ain’t Wilson. Credit to DK for utilizing strong hands & reeling it in.

Last edited:
Honesty, I actually don’t think DK gave Gilmore problems; I believe it was more so Wilson’s pin-point accuracy. There’s no defense for a perfect throw..
Not sure about that. DK is a physical beast and his sheer physicality knocked Gilmore off of coverage a few times.

Not sure about that. DK is a physical beast and his sheer physicality knocked Gilmore off of coverage a few times.
Of course he had his moments; he’s a physical specimen. However, I’m mainly referring to the catch that killed us. On the TD throw, Gilmore had pretty good coverage & was even able to get a hand on the ball, but the throw was perfect. End result..TD. Think about it; if you erase that 54-yd TD, Metcalf only has 38 yards. It was really only one big play.

I’m sure this guy will have something cooked up on defense...

Of course he had his moments; he’s a physical specimen. However, I’m mainly referring to the catch that killed us. On the TD throw, Gilmore had pretty good coverage & was even able to get a hand on the ball, but the throw was perfect. End result..TD.
Gilmore was in his hip pocket. The coverage could not have been better. The throw, however, was perfect (as you note). No way to defend that.

Of course he had his moments; he’s a physical specimen. However, I’m mainly referring to the catch that killed us. On the TD throw, Gilmore had pretty good coverage & was even able to get a hand on the ball, but the throw was perfect. End result..TD.
Sure. But DK did beat him to the ball. The throw was a beauty but DK had a step on him and was too strong for Gilmore to get the ball out. I am just giving more credit to DK than Wilson because the receiver has to come down with that ball with that type of coverage and he did.

Sure. But DK did beat him to the ball. The throw was a beauty but DK had a step on him and was too strong for Gilmore to get the ball out. I am just giving more credit to DK than Wilson because the receiver has to come down with that ball with that type of coverage and he did.
Fair, but erase that 54 yard TD & DK only has 38 yards...it is what it is..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft