PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trading Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Boy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Given the lack of true first round talent in this draft, how likely will it be for the Pats to find a team willing to trade up to Pick No. 21? What player falling to 21 would most likely cause a team to trade up?

Williams? Greenway? Lawson?

Any opinions?

Probably Maroney for the Colts or Jets but I'm not sure we'll get a good chance to trade down. Possibly the Browns if they take a DL in the first they may want to trade up for one of the LB but we'd be trading down almost a full round (20 picks or so) then.

BelichickFan said:
Probably Maroney for the Colts or Jets but I'm not sure we'll get a good chance to trade down. Possibly the Browns if they take a DL in the first they may want to trade up for one of the LB but we'd be trading down almost a full round (20 picks or so) then.

Wow, I kinda posted that queation in the Kiper thread. But the Jests! Yes! Top of the second and their third for our first. Pretty close to equal draft value if I can remember correctly. But have the Jests traded or lost those picks in any way? Wow that would be sweet. With all the depth in the middle of this draft, and all the picks we would have in rds 2-4, he..he he...he he he...:rocker:

shirtsleeve said:
Wow, I kinda posted that queation in the Kiper thread. But the Jests! Yes! Top of the second and their third for our first. Pretty close to equal draft value if I can remember correctly. But have the Jests traded or lost those picks in any way? Wow that would be sweet. With all the depth in the middle of this draft, and all the picks we would have in rds 2-4, he..he he...he he he...:rocker:

The Jets have ther 29th pick. Why not try and get their 1st and their 3rd to drop back to 29 instead?

I don't like dropping out of the 1st round totally.

I'd drop out of the 1st.....here's why.

DaBruinz said:
The Jets have ther 29th pick. Why not try and get their 1st and their 3rd to drop back to 29 instead?

I don't like dropping out of the 1st round totally.

As stated by another post, their is lot of talent in the mid 2-4 rounds. By giving up the 1st round for a proposed 2nd and 3rd round,pick, that's multiple talent at multiple positions of need that BB and his staff can grow into solid veterans.

This is the best time to infuse youth into the Patriots. The core defense and offense will still allow us to compete. Plus, the NFL schedule gods have been favorable to the AFC EAST (Lions, Texans, Packers). I project our team 12-4 even with our depleted roster! That's less pressure to rush rookies into starting positions. Give them a year under Belichik and watch out for them next year.

Meanwhile, BB and SP continue to fill out the starting roster with castoff veterans who are still solid players and can contribute for next season....pure foresight and genius.

I see a 2 year rebuilding plan that BB and SP are doing...we may not win the SB this year, but we are positioning ourselves for another dynasty run...

Spidey

I agree. Load up in rounds 2-4 and get lots of value with the picks. As another post has said, the Jests get 3 first rounders and the Pats load up with 2's, 3's and 4's! Its a win-win. And the Pats dont pay first round salary for second round talent. Consensus, except for Kiper is that there are maybe 15 true first rounders and at least the next 49 are all second rounders, with late 2/early 3 level talent not leaving till the middle of the 4th. The Pats could get lots of talent at lots of positions with all those picks!

DaBruinz- This is exactly the kind of draft that BB/SP trade out of the first round on. No drop in talent in the second from where they pick in the first, extra picks in the heart of the draft, and no first round salaries for second round talent. And the Jests would make the ideal trading partner! They would crow about all those first round picks to all their moronic fans!

There is another thread about gut feelings. Its been my gut feeling that this year will be another value grouping year, with lots of young talent coming on board. That we would trade out of the first. Now I'm almost convinced of it, especially with carrots like 3 first rounders to waive in front of someone like the Jests!

12 picks! 2-2's, 3-3's, 2-4's!

If we can find a willing partner to trade to the top 10 of the second round, I would go for that. I would then take some of the other picks and try to trade into the second again. Three 2nd rounders, 2 Third rounders, a fourth, 2 fifth's, and 2 sixth's would be very good for us this year.

But, finding that willing partner is going to be the hard part. Other teams know where the value is in this draft too.

PATSNUTme said:
But, finding that willing partner is going to be the hard part. Other teams know where the value is in this draft too.

That's my take. I don't know how many teams are going to be willing to give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder in this draft.

In BB we trust...

The point is valid regarding a team willing to give up a 2nd and a 3rd for a 1st...we'll see what BB and SP do on draft day...

In other news.....why hasn't there been much talk about acquiring Ricky Proehl? He would be perfect for the Pats. He's still nice and can be a valued possession / red zone receiver.....what are your thoughts?

kurtinelson said:
That's my take. I don't know how many teams are going to be willing to give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder in this draft.

That was my concern, too, until Spidey pointed to the Jests. They just might want that trade. They could have those three first rounders to crow to their fans about. Some teams, the Jests included, seem to be less interested in value than headlines and big names. They would steal all the thunder on draft day, the way Snyder does in March. The media types would be swooning. They just may take it.

Don't think I would do it, but what if anyone offers us the trade down into the 2nd round for their first rounder next year?

nickw308810 said:
Don't think I would do it, but what if anyone offers us the trade down into the 2nd round for their first rounder next year?

Doubt it........ Houston has multiple 2nd rounders they might trade.

nickw308810 said:
I think they'd take that deal in a heart beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back