PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady, NFLPA Granted 14-Day Extension To File Motion For Rehearing By Second Circuit Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 23rd is the due date.
My dyslexia must have kicked in. 5/6 in my mind turned out to be 5/9. 2 weeks from this date for sure.

Somewhere above is mentioned the way in which the Patriots' footballs ended up with different amounts of air pressure -- McNally went to the bathroom and didn't let out the same minuscule amount of air from each ball. If the footballs had all been treated in the same way, and have been verified to have started out with exactly the same amount of air pressure according to the referee, that might be a reasonable question.

But, in fact, we don't know if they were all at the same pressure according to the referee's gauge, only that they met some minimum standard; some may have been a few tenths higher. Since he didn't write them down, and has never written them down (except at half-time for this game), we will never know.

And it's most unlikely the footballs were treated the same. Some were on the field getting wet and cold. Others were probably kept in the bag, and may never have been used in the first half. When Belichick ran his admittedly uncontrolled experiment he found significant variation in air pressure -- 0.5-0.7 psi, if I remember correctly. And then we have the three measurements taken of the intercepted Patriots ball, which varied all over the place.

There is no need to speculate that McNally was sloppy in his ball deflation. There's no need to think there was any ball deflation.

And then we have the three measurements taken of the intercepted Patriots ball, which varied all over the place.

This has always been the overlooked issue that I harp about!

One NFL employee tested one of the footballs (the intercepted ball) not once but three different times, using the same pressure gauge, and obtained these values: 11.45, 11.35 and 11.75 psi. Note that the range in the three measurements is 0.4 psi.

I ask you, is 11.35 different from 11.75? In this context, obviously not, since they are both measurements that were made on the same football by the same person! There is clearly some inherent variability / error in the measuring air pressure in a football. The “error bar” for a pressure gauge reading was quite high, by these particular people using these same gauges, and it was at least 0.4 psi!

Apply this error bar concept to the Patriots footballs that were measured at halftime (one time each, with any particular gauge) and anyone with half a brain will spot the problem. Let’s even accept the Wells argument that only the readings made by using the gauge that the refs thought to be irrelevant (but was the one that would make the Patriots look most suspicious) should be considered.

A pressure drop of “1.39 plus or minus 0.4” is, in fact, not different at all from “1.18 plus or minus 0.4”.

It is not high-level physics. It is not based upon a complicated theoretical abstraction. It is the result of applying plain common sense!

This has always been the overlooked issue that I harp about!

One NFL employee tested one of the footballs (the intercepted ball) not once but three different times, using the same pressure gauge, and obtained these values: 11.45, 11.35 and 11.75 psi. Note that the range in the three measurements is 0.4 psi.

Assuming those 3 measurements were recorded in the order, people can't use the argument that pressure went down each time a measurement was taken. If 11.45 was the original measurement, the PSI went down on the 2nd measurement, then up on the third.

You could even apply this to the pre-game. Anderson measure each Patriots football once at what he remembers as 12.5 PSI. What would the readings have been if he checked a second or third time?

Trying to look at the big picture, does the league and it's owners believe that making a big deal about a minor infraction (even if it happened) is a good idea? How does repeatedly calling into question the accomplishments one of their best players/teams/coaches for more than a 16 months and counting help the league? Not only did they make a big deal about deflation, but they brought up a 9 year old incident to justify their penalties. If people have grown disillusioned with the NFL, it could be that, since they decided the Patriots were guilty, the team has won the SB, finished the next season as one of the top 2 teams in their conference and advanced to the AFCCG. For upcoming season, they are projected as one of the favorites to win the SB. So, if Patriots are one of the one of the best teams they have and the NFL is calling them cheaters, how is that helping to get people people to tune in?

Compare the NFLs handling of the situation to MLB and the Cardinals hacking the Astros database. That went beyond any stretch of gamesmanship and into the realm of a real crime. MLB stayed pretty quiet about it (or, rather, acted professionally) and I don't believe they levied any punishment on the St. Louis organization. The guy who did the hacking is headed to jail at some point, but I haven't heard anything beyond that. If the NFL was handling this, they would have suspended the Cardinals manager and executives, leveled a ridiculous fine, mentioned Mark McGwire's PED usage and Tony LaRussa's arrogance in their reasoning behind the penalties, and had their minions in the media frequently mention how serious this was. That would not have helped the game at all, but I guess it would have made the 29 other owners happy that they got some off-field "payback."

The NFL is pretty quick to minimize stories they think reflect badly on the league, like Manning's HGH shipments or the guy who was stealing footballs intended for charity auctions. I'm not really sure why they are going all out with this one and are making sure it stays in the public eye. Even the idea of strengthening Article 46 doesn't quite make sense as how often has the issue of a player refusing to turn over personal information come up? The Favre cell phone sexting incident was in 2010. The league wanted to see Brady's cell phone from 2014/15. Did the league need to literally make a federal case out of this for something that might not happen again until 2018, maybe?

This is all without the possibility that someone, either Brady's camp or a sports journalist who decides they can get more notoriety as a whistleblower than a toady, starts pointing out the sham perpetrated by the league. If this blows up on the league and damages the integrity of the game, Goodell and his 32 bosses will have no one to blame but themselves.

They want the Patriots (more specifically Bill Belichick) to play the villain. By polarizing them and the large fan base, you have 31 cities rooting for the demise of the Patriots and will watch games they're in just to watch them lose and root against them.

The amount of money that's been made off of this deflategate frenzy is probably mind blowing. When it first broke, it was during the lowest point in the NFL season as far as media coverage and fan interest.. so instead of their lowest rating point of the year, they kept the NFL relevant and at the forefront of news and conversation.

I really think all of this stems from their hatred of BB.. I also think that it's not entirely about the health of the league, I think you have an obvious conflict of interest with a few egotistical pieces of garbage that run the NFL front office

If McCann says "Expect it" does that mean it's happening? Hope so.

What's the reason for waiting until the absolute last minute?

And what the f.uck is going on in the Peterson case? Isn't it months overdue?
I have a feeling the two might be related and if Peterson is upheld, Team Brady can use that to show a split in jurisdictions as one of the reasons to rehear the case en banc.

I have a feeling the two might be related and if Peterson is upheld, Team Brady can use that to show a split in jurisdictions as one of the reasons to rehear the case en banc.

Probably, but the problem is why should we expect that there will be a result within the next week and a half? Its months overdue for some ungodly reason, who knows how long it'll be drawn out. So if it isn't decided by the 23rd what does Brady's team do?

If McCann says "Expect it" does that mean it's happening? Hope so.

I think it has been a foregone conclusion since the decision that Brady is going to appeal. Not to mention that you don't generally ask a federal court for an extension to file something, and then not file the thing you asked for the extension for.

And what the f.uck is going on in the Peterson case? Isn't it months overdue?
we are not exactly at the absolute last minute yet, but bringing a new attorney onto a case is a very difficult process. I am not surprised that they want to use all four of the weeks available to file the extension.

There is no due date for a court decision so we can't say Peterson is overdue. However, it is fair to say that that decision was expected by a couple months ago so if we use that definition of overdue, yes it is overdue.

The split in jurisdictions would be good for an appeal to the Supreme Court. Technically, CA8 has no relevance to what CA2 does. However, who knows what each individual judge is thinking

Probably, but the problem is why should we expect that there will be a result within the next week and a half? Its months overdue for some ungodly reason, who knows how long it'll be drawn out. So if it isn't decided by the 23rd what does Brady's team do?
They file. There is no harm in waiting in the hope the Peterson case decision comes down..... There is always the "unexpected" X factor. as long as the paperwork is complete and ready to file, what is the harm in waiting???

I'll be interested to see how hard Olsen goes at the NFL for repeatedly lying to the courts.

The split in jurisdictions would be good for an appeal to the Supreme Court. Technically, CA8 has no relevance to what CA2 does. However, who knows what each individual judge is thinking
True but it might be enough for a judge to ask himself/herself if " maybe we should take another look at it"...

True but it might be enough for a judge to ask himself/herself if " maybe we should take another look at it"...
Exactly, you never know what each judge is thinking or what may influence them.

I have little doubt that these judges have had informal, backdoor conversations with each other to see where they stand and if an en banc appeal would even have a chance. I bet most of them know all the relevant facts and how they would judge. It's almost laughable how little of an impact oral arguments actually have.

Why not wait for the last minute? Why not use all your available time? You don't get anything for filing ahead of the deadline.

You'll note that all or virtually all filings by either side before both Berman and the CA2 panel were filed on the deadline day.

They file. I don't think they are waiting on n the Peterson case I think Olsen is reviewing the entire case so he can make the best case to get either an en banc hearing or the Supreme's to take the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft