PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sox Get Martinez!

scout

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Nice trade without giving up too much, Masterson and prospect.

Nice trade without giving up too much, Masterson and prospect.

I don't like giving up Hagadone, but yeah, agree. Masterson has shown a fundamental inability to get lefties out, which means he'll never be a starter, so this is cheap IMO.

There goes your binky effin98, I told you Masterson is not that good, what a steal of a trade..............

This is great.
We needed a catcher two years ago.

thank christ san diego didn't give up bell and gonzo, whew

man we need a real owner for the padres, someone who isn't a cheap bastard

Great news for the Sox! and I may get to see him play in person tomorrow or sunday. Sucks for Cleveland to trade him the day before his official bobblehead day at the stadium

We also traded Laroche for Kotchman.

Last edited:
There goes your binky effin98, I told you Masterson is not that good, what a steal of a trade..............

Sticking up for him makes him my binky...OK then whatever floats your boat :rolleyes:

They needed a bat, they got it in Martinez. They needed someone who could eventually replace Varitek if they wanted him at that position, they got it. They needed someone who could give Papi a "rest" while keeping better stats in the line up, they got it. He fills their offensive needs.

Last edited:
Sticking up for him makes him my binky...OK then whatever floats your boat :rolleyes:

They needed a bat, they got it in Martinez. They needed someone who could eventually replace Varitek if they wanted him at that position, they got it. They needed someone who could give Papi a "rest" while keeping better stats in the line up, they got it. He fills their offensive needs.

A "replacement" for Varitek? You realize VC is 32, correct?

I only wish they could have traded for another first baseman. :rolleyes:

Sticking up for him has nothing to do with it; you valued him a lot higher than the rest of the world did.

Follow along, it's really not that difficult.

Sticking up for him has nothing to do with it; you valued him a lot higher than the rest of the world did.

Follow along, it's really not that difficult.

OK then he's my binky for sticking up for him...:rolleyes:

He's 30 btw.

This is a win-win for both clubs. The Sox get an all-star caliber player that can play 1B/C/DH. This will allow them to rest Lowell-Ortiz-Varitek so they don't wear down as the season grinds on. Having some depth on the bench will be nice.

I really liked Masterson but you have to give up something to get something. By going to Cleveland he will be able to start for them right away. He won't become an "Ace" down the line because of his lack of plus secondary pitches but he will be a solid 3-4 starter.

Giving up Hagadone doesn't hurt too much. He's a classic risk/reward type prospect. He had Tommy John surgery last summer but if he can get it all together he could become a hard throwing lefty as a starter which is always tough to find. I think he ends up as a reliever down the line anyway.

I liked Masterson, however, what he was pitching of late was mud. He was throwing big bricks of ****e at the batters and they promptly dealt with it.

I'm quite pleased with the trade deadline in acquiring Martinez and Kotchman. Getting Halladay would have been fantastic to strengthen a sporadic pitching roster, but some bats were more needed than anything.

I liked Masterson, however, what he was pitching of late was mud. He was throwing big bricks of ****e at the batters and they promptly dealt with it.

Too be fair, he had 2 atrocious back to back appearances but aside from that, he was very good this past month.

He's 30 btw.

This is a win-win for both clubs. The Sox get an all-star caliber player that can play 1B/C/DH. This will allow them to rest Lowell-Ortiz-Varitek so they don't wear down as the season grinds on. Having some depth on the bench will be nice.

I really liked Masterson but you have to give up something to get something. By going to Cleveland he will be able to start for them right away. He won't become an "Ace" down the line because of his lack of plus secondary pitches but he will be a solid 3-4 starter.

Giving up Hagadone doesn't hurt too much. He's a classic risk/reward type prospect. He had Tommy John surgery last summer but if he can get it all together he could become a hard throwing lefty as a starter which is always tough to find. I think he ends up as a reliever down the line anyway.

Yup - good assessment of Masterson.

This wasn't the "something for nothing" trade that most fans think it was - but it's close.

In the end the tribe gave up a guy they weren't going to keep anyways in a season they weren't going to contend in - and in return they got a potential 3 or 4 starter who will be cheap for years to come.

A pretty good trade for both sides.

I read in today's Herald that he's 30. Maybe buying a few years until the Twins catcher gets here.

Martinez is an atrocious reciever. He's Piazza'esque. He can swing the stick though. I love him as a hitter. It's a terrific deal for the Sox. Tek is washed up and overrated, so Martinez' lack of a glove won't really be that severe a drop off defensively. Offensively, he's a significant upgrade. The Sox gave up nothing in the sense that none of the players were important to them. Masterson isn't anything special, and Hadagone and PRice, while recent top 60 draft picks, have had their issues as pros so far. Good deal for the Sox, and a questionable one for the Indians IMO. They must really like the guys they got from the Sox (minor leaguers). I bet they are guys they wanted t draft themselves, and didn't. We won't know how good a deal this was for Cleveland, for some time. BTW, the only negative I could possibly think of, is PT for all the Sox guys with limited positions available. Winning always cures that, and if not, they usually find some way to work themselves out. It's a good deal for the Sox.

He went 5-6 yesterday and drove in 4 runs. From watching him out there I realized he is professional and an amazing hitter. He will help the team a ton, and he isn't an awful defensive catcher either.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back