PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So Mr. O'Callaghan is 6'7" 345

Status
Not open for further replies.
He dropped because of injuries (although I think in his entire college career he missed only 1 game). I read he was 330, but I guess at that point, what is 15 lbs? haha

betterthanthealternative said:
And Pro Football Weekly says that he could keep the RT job

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/New+England/WWHI/default.htm

I didn't realize the kid is that big. That is indeed a change for the makeup of the OL.

Was this guy a diamond in the rough, or did he drop on draft day for some reason?

He dropped becuase he has already had two knee surgeries in college. 6'7" guys with bad knees that get bumped into for a living tend to be viewed as injury risks, but barring the surgeries he would have gone much higher.

tatepatsfan said:
He dropped because of injuries (although I think in his entire college career he missed only 1 game). I read he was 330, but I guess at that point, what is 15 lbs? haha
15 pounds is a fair bit of foot speed getting back against the pass rush. I'd expect him to be closer to 330 this season, and maybe shed a few more in the off-season program to improve his quickness - look at how much quicker Ty Warren looks in his pass rush, he's been quite impressive.

I was just teasing. I assume he'd be at his lower weight too. If he loses 15 lbs and keeps his strength, that would make a remarkable difference.

When I saw him earlier in camp, I was impressed that once he got his hands on someone, he moved that person. I never would have guessed he was that strong because most of the scouting reports on him said he was fat and flabby and not a weight room kind of guy.

He's had a lot of injuries in college, but missed little time, so we'll have to see if he has the durability to handle a full year.

Who is bigger? Robert Gallery or O'Callaghan.I didnt realize O'Callaghan was such a big dude...

Patriots4Ever said:
Who is bigger? Robert Gallery or O'Callaghan.I didnt realize O'Callaghan was such a big dude...
The real question is which OT makes Ty Warren work harder? Considering Gallery was Ty's favorite swinging door in last year's opener, I hope O'Callaghan is making him break a sweat in practice.

I think it's safe to say there will be plenty of runs going off of RT this season. :rocker:

jimmyjames said:
He dropped becuase he has already had two knee surgeries in college. 6'7" guys with bad knees that get bumped into for a living tend to be viewed as injury risks, but barring the surgeries he would have gone much higher.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was 2 Shoulder surgeries.

Displaced - Fan said:

I think you are correct. My bad.

O'Callahan was VERY highly thought of, even though he had injury problems. There were some very good Guard & Tackle prospects, and O'Callahan was rated anywhere from 4-8th best tackle coming out of college. Don't forget, JJ Arrington ran for over 2000 yards behind the O'Callahan lead O-Line, and two Cal backs ran for over 1000 yards last year. I got to watch O'Callahan several times, and he is a true road grader, especially on the run, but I worry about him getting beat on passing plays, though that doesn't seem like a major problem so far. A true draft steal !!

Displaced - Fan said:

Two pairs, actually: a couple of shoulder surgeries, a couple of concussions. Without that history he was probably the top RT in the draft.

Nonetheless, this draft pick shocked me. I thought the Patriots would draft a RT prospect but I didn't even look seriously at O'Callaghan. They have very consistently chosen undersized lineman with excellent agility and pass-blocking technique. So here's an absolutely massive power run blocker, considered very raw in pass protection. It's enough to make you tear up your mock draft sheets. Almost. :)

I can't shake the feeling that O'C sticks at tackle and soon finds Kaczur lined up beside him as a guard. Just one of those feelings.

patchick said:
I can't shake the feeling that O'C sticks at tackle and soon finds Kaczur lined up beside him as a guard. Just one of those feelings.

If that means that Neal is gone, that would be just fine with me. :rocker:

Considering noone respecting our running game last year might have changed BB/Pioli/Dante's preference when selecting college linemen to mold into NFL players. Wasn't we interested in Runyan this offseason?
I got a big smile on my face when we selected OC, knowing Dantes skill developing linemen, now he's got a true massive road grader to work with. What's not to like with that.

Last edited:
Koettbulle said:
Considering noone respecting our running game last year might have changed BB/Pioli/Dante's preference when selecting college linemen to mold into NFL players. Wasn't we interested in Runyan this offseason?
I got a big smile on my face when we selected OC, knowing Dantes skill developing linemen, now he's got a true massive road grader to work with. What's not to like with that.
Well, we do have a new OC ... it seems most folks sort of dismiss Josh McD as a part of the brain-trust, but he certainly must have input on things like this. A combination of not have Weis around, McDaniels taking over that role, and Belichick's and Pioli's ability to re-evaluate all the time ... I wouldn't be surprised if the Patriots have re-evaluated certain things about the O-line, with McDaniels's thoughts having a bearing on how it shook out.

Ryan O has grown an inch this summer! When we drafted him, he was listed at 6'6''.

shakadave said:
Ryan O has grown an inch this summer! When we drafted him, he was listed at 6'6''.

This is where the team's farsighted strategy of drafting 14-year-olds starts to bear dividends. By the time O'Callaghan is full grown he should be 8'9" 470 and a real load on running downs.

shakadave said:
Either that or he shrunk 2" because I saw him listed at 6'8".

huskeralk said:
Either that or he shrunk 2" because I saw him listed at 6'8".

May depend on the temperature on a given day, sort of like the Empire State Building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes