PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So, How Would You Game-Plan for Denver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On defense the Broncos are giving up 135 yards/game rushing. I would pound them into submission with Dillon and Maroney. I wouldn't even think of passing until they put 8 men in the box. After they did that I'd send Gabriel or Jackson on streak route.

Plummer's playing like crap this year. So bad that they're talking about bringing Cutler in at QB. I would take away Tatum Bell and the running game and make Plummer beat us.

PatsDeb said:
What would you do about the Jake Plummer bootleg to the right that has killed us in the past? Don't you think that they will use that this week again?

I think it is difficult but just a few thoughts. A Belichick team should be able
to do Ok because they are a diciplined team. I would think certain players
committing to the run to soon leads to problems as players are out of position
to react to Jake and leave areas undefended (DBs in run support for example)
I know this team has experience with Jake and should have learned from past
experiences. I still think they can slow down Denver's run and be aware
enough to react to Jake.

This game is Dillon's to win or lose. Bottom line. Denver's D is too quick for Maroney to make much of an impact, and no way we win going long. This is a field position, coaching game. Denver's a bit of a wounded animal right now, they're going to play better on offense than they have the last two games.

Our D needs to play solid football and tackle well, and Corey Dillon's going to need 80+ on the ground. That will open up the PA pass, which is probably our best hope for a big pass play.

It will be interesting to see how Shanahan uses Bailey. With no definitive #1 reciever, who does he play on 3rd down? Brown? Jackson? That's a big part of the game for Brady, being aware of Bailey. I think he's overrated, but you need to know where he is and what he's doing.

PatsDeb said:
I guess you are right on this. I wish we could have a huge pass play early on to get Tom going, but that could backfire big time if it is intercepted and he loses confidence.

You're kidding right? The words "loses confidence" and "Tom Brady" have no meaningful overlap. Brady only gets sloppy when the team needs points fast, and he's asked to do too much to force a deep passing attack that just isn't there. Ironically, that happens a lot to the Pats against the Broncos.

The key to this game: solid run D, get an early lead and run the ball all day long. We have three quality RBs, and they're talent poor at the position. We should play to our strength on O, and play keep away. Run the clock. Look to win it 14-9 or something like that.

NEM said:
If we play the conservative run game from the getgo, we lose the game.

We can strike them quick, fast and often with play action, no huddle and lots of passing inside the seams.

Defensively, get right in Plummer's face, right from the start, use the 4-3 as with the Jets and come after him, and he will be our best weapon, making one mistake after another. Let him sit there, or roll, he will toast us.

The Broncos are eight in the NFL against the pass, giving up 163 yards a game. With the way Brady and most of his WR's have been clicking, I would say stay away from the pass as much as you can until you can get some one-on-one coverage on the outside and then go for it.

Defense: Base 3-4, Bruschi and Seau inside, rotate TBC, Vrabel, and Colvin outside. Rotate Rodney with Scott or Blue to keep some speed back there to help with Smith and Walker - Scott and Blue may also be needed for their height if the Broncos use 6'5" rooke WR Brandon Marshall (think a younger, taller Doug Gabriel - same college).

Bruschi and Seau will do fine handling the run up the middle with any of the linemen in front of them. Remember Seau has been playing against this offense for most of his career, he will have very little trouble reading them. Colvin, Vrabel, and TBC are all fast and quick on the edge, they will be able to limit Jake's rollout, and be better for it in a rotation keeping them fresh. Warren was usually the first player to react to a Plummer rollout last year, as a result of his off-season work he is quicker off the snap and a little faster to pressure Jake earlier. Vince and Wright can rotate in the middle against the dirty chop blocking swine, that will defend the run pretty well and keep them fresh for jumping over knee breakers. Expect Wilfork to line up a yard to 1 & 1/2 yds off the ball and force the C & Gs to come to him. Play your gap responsibility, this is a cutback running team and one player over playing his responsibility is going to see a blur whip by behind him. Have faith in Hobbs and Samuel to man up on Smith and Walker, keep Geno deep and let Rodney roam.

An alternative is to go with a 4-2-nickel heavy front with Green and Warren working edge containment in rotation with Vrabel/Colvin/TBC and Rodney playing run support/TE coverage being spelled by Vrabel or Alexander (give Jake a number nightmare). I believe Vince and Sey inside, with Bruschi and Seau at LB shuts down the run and forces Jake to pass into a nickel defense. The mismatch would come with the LBs on RBs.

Looking back over this I see many ways to mess with Plummer and Shanahan's minds. Vrabel at SS, Alexander at SS. Colvin and TBC on the edge, Warren and Green inside. Put simply, this year's team has a full tool set...the key is Wilfork/Wright and the ILBs stopping the run.

Offense: Run Cory run, Run Lawrence run, batter those fast and light LBs. 2 & 3 TE sets (Gonzalez and Gates solo, let's see this LB corps deal with the dynamic trio). Denver will be rotating their DL often to keep some freshness in their legs, it won't be enough.

Use the TEs and Gabriel to open passing lanes for the WRs, oops, Denver has been watching the TE show and hasn't been as worried about Caldwell and Brown underneath. Run at Dumervil, make sure Faulk is in, or a TE is on his side, if you intend to pass.

Denver will be playing to stop the run, sooner or later Josh and Tommy will be able to take advantage of that in the passing game.

Just a few thoughts and comments:

1. Pass defense - I'd like to see them use the tight zone coverage where the CBs have the WRs in tight man to man coverage in the short zones and pass them to the safeties after 10-15 yards. I definitely want these guys hit going off the line. The Denver WRs are bigger and easier to bump off of routes than guys like SMoss, and DBranch

2. Running game - I think we will see the 3-4 more on running downs. Its tougher to run block than the 4-3. THey had a better running game last January and we shut it down in Denver, I'd expect the same. Doubt the Broncs get more than 100 yds rushing as a team.

3. Our Running game - BOR astutely pointed out that the Broncs are smallish on the outside, so running the ball consistantly early will pay dividends in the 4th quarter.

4. Passing game - Hopefully it will be a bit more coordination between the WRs and Brady, though IMHO it will be December before we see a finished product....if them. I'm just looking for improvement. BTW - from the coaching staff, I'd like to see more of the PAP (play action pass) this week. BB pretty much eshewed the PAP last week. Even when Brady lined up under center and passed, he rarely faked to the RB. I'd like to see more of it this week..... and I think it will be effective.

Grizzafted said:
This game is Dillon's to win or lose. Bottom line. Denver's D is too quick for Maroney to make much of an impact, and no way we win going long. This is a field position, coaching game. Denver's a bit of a wounded animal right now, they're going to play better on offense than they have the last two games.

Our D needs to play solid football and tackle well, and Corey Dillon's going to need 80+ on the ground. That will open up the PA pass, which is probably our best hope for a big pass play.

It will be interesting to see how Shanahan uses Bailey. With no definitive #1 reciever, who does he play on 3rd down? Brown? Jackson? That's a big part of the game for Brady, being aware of Bailey. I think he's overrated, but you need to know where he is and what he's doing.
Disagree about Maroney and Dillon. Lack of speed at the Rb position allowed the Broncos to blitz with impunity, never fearing the draw, or to drop more in coverage. Maroney is the key to breaking the Broncos, and this game is, perhaps, the reason the Pats drafted him.

The recent trend in the NFL has been to faster, smaller LB's. Denver has three good ones in this mold.

Note that the Pats are countering by running three-TE sets. The Pats can come out and run straight at the LB's, negating their speed and making this a battle of strength and leverage. Run inside the numbers at this type of defense. Battering them with Graham and the guards should be fun.

I agree that throwing to the tight ends will be tougher against these linebackers and safeties. I can't see how simply switching Thomas for Watson makes it easier for the Pats simply because 'they haven't studied Thomas.' He's just a slower, slighter TE than Watson.

Bailey is an excellent corner, and they have a couple good young emerging corners - their drop from two to three isn't much. Brady is going to have to have a better rapport with the Patriots receivers to beat this defensive backfield. And again, screens are tough against a speedy linebacker group like Denver's. Some outs, curls, those routes can beat the Denver corners.

On defense, the Denver backs are clearly a step below where they've been historically. The OL may not be at its peak, but the system still works well. The DL is going to have to be careful, and, as noted, the LB will have to stay in their areas of responsibility. This is the kind of game where Beisel could get killed, but the discipline of Bruschi, Vrabel, and hopefully Seau should work well.

I assume you put Samuel on the bigger Walker and Hobbs on the craftier Smith. Hopefully the line can continue to generate pressure and force Jake into mistakes. Early pressure can really frustrate him, with Cutler waiting to offer him the clipboard.

You have to imagine that the Patriots will be as geared up for this game as any all season. The Branch crap is behind the team. They played sort of crappy in their two wins against weaker teams. Brady is finally getting a chance to work with the receivers he's got for the season. The running game is coming together. The team has the stink of last year's loss still on their minds.

Can't wait.

Urgent said:
The recent trend in the NFL has been to faster, smaller LB's. Denver has three good ones in this mold.

Note that the Pats are countering by running three-TE sets. The Pats can come out and run straight at the LB's, negating their speed and making this a battle of strength and leverage. Run inside the numbers at this type of defense. Battering them with Graham and the guards should be fun.

I agree that throwing to the tight ends will be tougher against these linebackers and safeties. I can't see how simply switching Thomas for Watson makes it easier for the Pats simply because 'they haven't studied Thomas.' He's just a slower, slighter TE than Watson.

Bailey is an excellent corner, and they have a couple good young emerging corners - their drop from two to three isn't much. Brady is going to have to have a better rapport with the Patriots receivers to beat this defensive backfield. And again, screens are tough against a speedy linebacker group like Denver's. Some outs, curls, those routes can beat the Denver corners.

On defense, the Denver backs are clearly a step below where they've been historically. The OL may not be at its peak, but the system still works well. The DL is going to have to be careful, and, as noted, the LB will have to stay in their areas of responsibility. This is the kind of game where Beisel could get killed, but the discipline of Bruschi, Vrabel, and hopefully Seau should work well.

I assume you put Samuel on the bigger Walker and Hobbs on the craftier Smith. Hopefully the line can continue to generate pressure and force Jake into mistakes. Early pressure can really frustrate him, with Cutler waiting to offer him the clipboard.

You have to imagine that the Patriots will be as geared up for this game as any all season. The Branch crap is behind the team. They played sort of crappy in their two wins against weaker teams. Brady is finally getting a chance to work with the receivers he's got for the season. The running game is coming together. The team has the stink of last year's loss still on their minds.

Can't wait.

Great reading. My idea about Thomas was not to substitute him for Watson, but for Graham. In a two TE set Denver will gameplan to bracket Watson and the idea would be to use his downfield speed as decoy for Thomas underneath, whom Denver will disregard. But what the he*ll do I know? You're plan sounds better anyway...:) :)

Great thread and nothing really I can add that hasn't already been posted. However, I'm really not too worried about this game and am reasonably confident that the Pats will dominate this game. Also, though he's still a mere shell of what he was a year and a half ago, Rodney's back. I'm sure he'll give Jake a nice greeting that'll make us feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

My plan would be to try to stay within 4 points or so, take a deliberate safety, hold on defense, then go in for the winning touch down.

I mean, so long as we're drawing it up on paper and everything . . . .

:)

PatsFaninAZ said:
My plan would be to try to stay within 4 points or so, take a deliberate safety, hold on defense, then go in for the winning touch down.

I mean, so long as we're drawing it up on paper and everything . . . .

:)

No, No, No - someone else has already done this before; they'll be expecting it!! :)

bakes781 said:
In the playoff game I felt Tom lost his composure early. If you rememeber Lynch got in his face & he took exception to that. He'll need to get back to cool & collective Tom in order to avoid the mistakes that cost us in the last meeting.

Yes. One of the offensive linemen needs to step up as a leader and ride a guy like Lynch away from Brady. Brady should not be in a guy like Lynch's face. Overall I hope the Pats do what they did not do last playoff game--play it very conservatively, keep it close, take minimal chances, and wait for Plummer to makes mistakes. He will and Pats will win.

PonyExpress said:
Great reading. My idea about Thomas was not to substitute him for Watson, but for Graham. In a two TE set Denver will gameplan to bracket Watson and the idea would be to use his downfield speed as decoy for Thomas underneath, whom Denver will disregard. But what the he*ll do I know? You're plan sounds better anyway...:) :)

I think Graham is pretty important in this game. You put Graham on the linebackers, he can really whack those guys. You get hit from the side by Dan Graham a couple times, you're swinging your head when you come inside. Graham should also be able to open up a whole in the midfield for the backs to charge through.

Thomas is nowhere near the blocker, and pretty unproven as an NFL receiver. I think these defenders can cover him.

The Pats need to put pressure on Plummer early. He is clearly struggling so far early in the season. Make sure he feels the heat and he will cough up the balll.

I believe in the Pats run game but they need to put in some wrinkles so that Denver can't just stack 8 in the box. Maybe a few screen passes or even a reverse or two to punish the defense for overpursuing against the run. They know that's our strength so they will be trying to stop it.

Other than that I think they need to get Watson involved early. He will be key to allowing Tom to dump off when the heat is too much. If Tom doesn't turn the ball over we will win this game convincingly.

oldskool138 said:
You want Maroney to catch out of the back field? Did you watch the Bill's game? Brady hit him right in the numbers and he dropped it with no defenders around him.

Now, granted, it was his first NFL game but I think Kool-Aid gives you more carrying the ball. Dillon and Faulk can handle any pass plays out of the backfield.

I'd like the Pats to keep the ball on the ground as much as possible. I trust Brady but not against this opponent. I've seen him make some really bad (even season-ending) mistakes against Denver. Three keys to a win: Pound the ball, contain Plumber and don't give up the big play (i.e.- tackle better in the backfield).

VJCPatriot said:
I believe in the Pats run game but they need to put in some wrinkles so that Denver can't just stack 8 in the box. Maybe a few screen passes or even a reverse or two to punish the defense for overpursuing against the run. They know that's our strength so they will be trying to stop it.
The flip side is Pittsburgh's philosophy of line up and execute. Instead of trying to get fancy, just set up two and three TE formations and plow them over.

Box_O_Rocks said:
The flip side is Pittsburgh's philosophy of line up and execute. Instead of trying to get fancy, just set up two and three TE formations and plow them over.

Although our base 3-4 is a good D for run stopping, it may not work as well againts Denver.

Would a 4-3 be better againt their cut and chop blocking? In a 3-4 the D linemen are sitting ducks as they are trying to hold and conctrot the gaps.

In and agressive 4-3 the D-linemen are moving up field more and not a sitting target for the cut and chop blocking.

Okay, so the consensus seems to be: go with the running game (except for NEM) as the main offense w/ Tom taking his opportunities in the passing game when warranted; stick w/ the 3-4 on defense and get after Plummer early. Now I wonder what they'll really do. When Charlie Weis was here they often came out with something totally unexpected. What if they come out 5 wide with no backfield and the no-huddle? :)

I like the idea of using nickel & dime packages to confuse Plummer, but of course only if we have a lead. The problem is I don't know if we have the personel to do that. I think forcing Jake out of the pocket is putting him in a position to improvise which he is very good at. It's too early to rely on these new WRs in the pass offense, so I would look to Watson & Graham to catch the DBs cheating the run.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back