PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will The Patriots Continue To Have So Few Coaches?

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

I guess that Belichick though that he did 3-4 coaching jobs so that little help was needed (in addition to his GM associated jobs.

Perhaps, Mayo and the Kraft's will understand that we need more coaches now.
==============
For example, Miami's HC had over 50% more coaches on Offense and over 50% more coaches on Defense.

I am guessing a 50% increase on staff at least. Won't be the biggest staff...too many cooks in a kitchen....but won't be Belichick's small staff we are accustomed to the last 24 years.

I guess that Belichick though that he did 3-4 coaching jobs so that little help was needed (in addition to his GM associated jobs.
For the record, here's his stated explanation from 2017:

Speaking as part of the new podcast Suiting Up With Paul Rabil (h/t to Mike Reiss of ESPN), Belichick explained that he prefers a small, busy coaching staff to a larger group with less work to do. He believes that the coaching staff is ultimately more productive (and more successful) with a smaller team and larger average workload.

"My philosophy, really, is that less is more, so I'd rather have fewer people doing more work than more people doing a little more work," said Belichick. "As long as everybody is busy, as long as everybody feels productive, they feel good about what they're doing and they feel like they're contributing.

"I think when people have lag time and kind of not enough to do, then that leads to getting distracted and complaining or ... being less productive. Even though you have more people, sometimes less work gets done."

A smaller staff works if the quality of said staff is irreprensible.

And that hasn't been the case for years. Ever since long timers like Scar, Fears, etc have left

Then it became a who's who from BB's trusted circle. And he was blind for them.

Im not sure how many should come, but i do hope we bring proven coaches to fill out the ranks.

==============
For example, Miami's HC had over 50% more coaches on Offense and over 50% more coaches on Defense.
where would you like the coaching staff expanded?

I thought we had all the bases covered on the coaching front...

do we need more specific position coaches/assistants?

or just assistants in general?

Does this also speak to the size of the scouting department, or is that an entity unto itself?

The biggest departure from the league-wide norm was having the OC usually also be the primary QB coach. While it was an accurate representation of the day to day responsibilities of that position, it removed the most common internal candidate to be promoted to OC.

Actual quantity seems like a red herring to me. I don’t care that the Dolphins had an assistant TE coach, assistant RB coach, an additional assistant WR coach, etc.

==============
Assuming his data correct ( he excluded fellowships, admin, wt room, and HCs ); he came up w a 23.25 coach per team average. Mean= 23, most common 24 (10 ea), and high was 27.

Patriots at 18 = league smallest.
(Last year was a weakness; especially noticeable when Klemm got sick. )

I would think they end up w more; but how much philosophy did Mayo inherit from both RK & BB: ……. Both believe in flatter organizations so the authority lines are not crossed or jumbled.

Here is an invented rule by me

If your position has more than 5 players (So Wr, OL, DL/LB and CBs/Ss) we should have more than one coach

One guy that puts the gameplan in motion and one guy strictly for development purposes. And these guys help in other areas too (OL coaches could go for some TE in some technique exercises)

I think then we have a good increase of staff, would not feel bloated, and I will stop complaining about it as much

Belichick had small coaching staffs because he seemed to only want to work with people he felt comfortable with. He didn't seem to want to grow and develop coaches anymore. The Pats still had about as many coaches as other teams had when it came to coordinators and position coaches. Where they seemed to be lacking is the underling level of assistants who did a lot of the busy and low level work for the people above them so they could focus on other things. I think those position are important and the do this work for the opportunity to learn how to grow into more senior level positions.

I think this was a huge mistake on Belichick's part because these coaches are part of a succession plan when teams start to lose coordinators and position coaches to other teams due to promotions. Belichick didn't seem to care about grooming the next generation of coaches. But it put more burden on the the position coaches and coordinators. And since some of those people weren't qualified for their jobs, it put more burden on Belichick and created a cluster f*ck.

I expect Mayo to break with this trend. As former player, he may know more than most how valuable these assistant coaches are to the team since he dealt with them on a daily basis over his playing career.

I think there is a tendency to have too many position coaches, but Pats could afford a few more than we've had under BB.
However, what we never see is the list of staff assistants. There's always a bunch of guys that don't get a "coach" title, but are part of the coaching staff that make practice run.

I don't think BB got too lazy to mentor coaches. It could have been a trust issue and being sick of performing coaching academy services for the rest of the league. Look how many people got jobs elsewhere due to working in NE.

Besides the offensive coordinator, which positions still need to be filled? Looks like the defensive coordinator search is just about at an end.

The Patriots doubled their coaching staff to 19 from where it was during the Super Bowl winning years (9).

The fact that this means they aren't at the league average of 23 is mind boggling and absurd.

It was also rumored BB was given a 25 million salary with the caveat that his coaching staff was also expected to be paid out of that pot. Less coaches = more money for BB. Also, bringing back coaches still being paid by their former team = more money. I don’t believe this was ever verified but it does make you wonder.

where would you like the coaching staff expanded?

I thought we had all the bases covered on the coaching front...

do we need more specific position coaches/assistants?

or just assistants in general?

Does this also speak to the size of the scouting department, or is that an entity unto itself?
no problem. We patriots and patriots fans know much better than the rest of league teams who ALL choose to have more coaches.

perhaps, we should also volunteer to play with only a 50 man roster. Surely, the patriots are good enough.
==========
If you must know how others coach, then choose the 3 teams that you think are best coached and check out their coaching staffs.

no problem. We patriots and patriots fans know much better than the rest of league teams who ALL choose to have more coaches.

perhaps, we should also volunteer to play with only a 50 man roster. Surely, the patriots are good enough.
==========
If you must know how others coach, then choose the 3 teams that you think are best coached and check out their coaching staffs.
Ask an honest question, get a ****head answer. Love it. Expect nothing from mgteich, and what do you know, he delivers.

==============
The way you phrase your numbers is deceiving. In looking at the totals, its kinda a ******** OP

Zbl7NSn.jpg

Belichick had small coaching staffs because he seemed to only want to work with people he felt comfortable with. He didn't seem to want to grow and develop coaches anymore. The Pats still had about as many coaches as other teams had when it came to coordinators and position coaches. Where they seemed to be lacking is the underling level of assistants who did a lot of the busy and low level work for the people above them so they could focus on other things. I think those position are important and the do this work for the opportunity to learn how to grow into more senior level positions.

I think this was a huge mistake on Belichick's part because these coaches are part of a succession plan when teams start to lose coordinators and position coaches to other teams due to promotions. Belichick didn't seem to care about grooming the next generation of coaches. But it put more burden on the the position coaches and coordinators. And since some of those people weren't qualified for their jobs, it put more burden on Belichick and created a cluster f*ck.

I expect Mayo to break with this trend. As former player, he may know more than most how valuable these assistant coaches are to the team since he dealt with them on a daily basis over his playing career.
At the end, Bill wasn't hiring the kinds of young people for assistant coaching positions like he had at Baltimore and Detroit when he began his career.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back