PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So, How Would You Game-Plan for Denver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsDeb

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I hate how this team has our number and I can't figure out why they do. I was so frustrated during the playoff game last year when I realized that when they had to start in their own end of the field with no official help, Denver was only able to muster 3 points on offense. So, how do we beat them? Obviously, we can't have the kind of screw-ups and mental mistakes on offense that killed us in January, but what else?

On offense, do you start conservatively with the two-headed running monster and try to soften/tire them out, then work the passing game in? Or, do you practice like mad all week with Doug Gabriel to get the timing right on the long bomb and go for broke right away? I would love to see them do the latter, but I am afraid of Champ Bailey and wonder if Brady is too.

On defense, do you stick with the 4-3, or go back to the 3-4? How are you going to keep Plummer from using that maddening roll-out to the right that has killed us in the past? Would it be better to use the 4-3 so that you have 4 guys trying to prevent that instead of 3? Would you assign Ellis Hobbs to Rod Smith? Or Javon Walker? I must admit that on the TD play last week with Coles running right over our guys I had flashbacks to last year's Denver game. Not the same kind of blowing it (missed tackles vs. letting guys get behind you), but still that same sinking feeling of ineptness in the secondary. GRRR! As the game gets closer I'm getting more nervous. Who will replace Matt Light if he can't play?

There are two defenses Brady always struggles against The Dollphins an the Broncos. This game scares me even though I think we should win Big time.
I don't think we have used our running game to its full potential. I would like to see some plays with Dillon and Maroney in the backfield at the same time than have Maroney go out in a receiver formation. Heck maybe we could have all three back there Dillon, Maroney and Faulk.:cool:

In the playoff game I felt Tom lost his composure early. If you rememeber Lynch got in his face & he took exception to that. He'll need to get back to cool & collective Tom in order to avoid the mistakes that cost us in the last meeting. Getting Maroney involved early & often would be my plan of attack. We certainly have to take some chances down the field to keep the DBs honest. The Broncos don't appear to be running the same style of offense that we're accustomed to seeing. Instead of utilizing Plummer's scrambling ability with the bootleg they're going to the more traditional shotgun. This could be a sign that the OL isn't as strong as. The running game still seems to be an affective weapon for them, so containing that will be imperative. I would think 4-3 is best suited for this game as I don't anticipate Plummer improvising as much in this new offense.

Born_a_Patriot said:
There are two defenses Brady always struggles against The Dollphins an the Broncos. This game scares me even though I think we should win Big time.
I don't think we have used our running game to its full potential. I would like to see some plays with Dillon and Maroney in the backfield at the same time than have Maroney go out in a receiver formation. Heck maybe we could have all three back there Dillon, Maroney and Faulk.:cool:

You want Maroney to catch out of the back field? Did you watch the Bill's game? Brady hit him right in the numbers and he dropped it with no defenders around him.

Now, granted, it was his first NFL game but I think Kool-Aid gives you more carrying the ball. Dillon and Faulk can handle any pass plays out of the backfield.

I'd like the Pats to keep the ball on the ground as much as possible. I trust Brady but not against this opponent. I've seen him make some really bad (even season-ending) mistakes against Denver. Three keys to a win: Pound the ball, contain Plumber and don't give up the big play (i.e.- tackle better in the backfield).

Defensively: the same as last year. Denver was dominated, but took advantage of offensive blunders and homefield comfort and momentum.

Offensively: The TEs will be taken away by the Broncos. They regularly limit Gonzalez and Gates, so they will gameplan for Watson and IMO he will be mostly invisible. Foxworth and Williams will blanket Caldwell and Brown. The only receivers who can impact this game are Gabriel and, mostly, Jackson. Courtney Brown, opposite Callahan, is injured. I would ram the ball down the Broncos throat strongside, play action and throw it to CJ. The best TE target could be David Thomas here, who Denver has not seen on film, will not prepare for, and who has a talent for sitting underneath, a la Todd Christenson. IMO the more Thomas and CJ factor into the passing game the better the offense will be. I find it interesting that the Pats have ignored play-action and screen passes to this point. I believe this was gamesmanship planned for the Bronco game. I expect them to break it out here. Faulk on screens will play a major role against the blitz, and Thomas in the Fauria role on quick pases to beat the blitz. So the offensive gameplan: Dillon, Maroney, Faulk, CJ, and Thomas.

Last edited:
oldskool138 said:
I'd like the Pats to keep the ball on the ground as much as possible. I trust Brady but not against this opponent. I've seen him make some really bad (even season-ending) mistakes against Denver. Three keys to a win: Pound the ball, contain Plumber and don't give up the big play (i.e.- tackle better in the backfield).

I guess you are right on this. I wish we could have a huge pass play early on to get Tom going, but that could backfire big time if it is intercepted and he loses confidence.

Defensive game-plan is obvious: focus on stopping the Bronco's effective ground game and force Shaky Jakey to beat you through the air.

oldskool138 said:
You want Maroney to catch out of the back field? Did you watch the Bill's game? Brady hit him right in the numbers and he dropped it with no defenders around him.

Now, granted, it was his first NFL game but I think Kool-Aid gives you more carrying the ball. Dillon and Faulk can handle any pass plays out of the backfield.

That was just one play that guy we got from the Raiders didn't do much better either but that doesn't mean we will never throw to him.

PonyExpress said:
Faulk on screens will play a major role against the blitz, and Thomas in the Fauria role on quick pases to beat the blitz. So the offensive gameplan: Dillon, Maroney, Faulk, CJ, and Thomas.

Faulk is great at the screen beating the blitz as long as he does not come down with the dreaded (hope I'm not jinxing here) fumblitis.

Born_a_Patriot said:
That was just one play that guy we got from the Raiders didn't do much better either but that doesn't mean we will never throw to him.

Don't get me wrong. I love what Maroney brings to the offense. I just think he's a little too green to be counted on as a pass catcher. If he develops into that kind of dual threat over the season or over his career, great. I think he's going to be great against this Broncos defense...as a runner.

oldskool138 said:

Yeah. What he said. We should NEVER throw the ball to Maroney again. Period.

The rest of your post, I agree with. Focus on the running game, setting up play-action. Pick your spots to go deep. I think Maroney shouldn't be "counted on," that's true, but I don't want to kill him for one play.

Last edited:
patsox23 said:
Yeah. What he said. We should NEVER throw the ball to Maroney again. Period.

Breathe, people.

"Who said anything about panic? Do I look like a guy who panics?"- Robert DeNiro

I didn't say Brady should NEVER throw to him. Heck, if Denver is giving up huge chunks of yards to RB's catching out of the backfield...Great! Dink and Dunk all day. I just think that Maroney has much more value using his quick cuts style of running against this "D". That's all.

Last edited:
I'd say concentrate on the run defense and try to make Plummer beat us. I think if Belichick get's inside Jake "the snakes" head he's had it. He's thrown four interceptions in two games and seems to be crazier than a loon. Road rage incidents, problems with his own fans etc. It can't be good to be Jake Plummer at the moment with Cutler breathing down his back. That's their fatal flaw as a team at the moment. Otherwise, they present problems with a tough defense and good running attack. If Plummer cracks it'll be a rout for the Pats. And then too I think the Pats might put together their "first" 60 total minutes of football due to the "revenge" factor. They haven't forgotten last year's humiliation even if the Bronco's would like them to I'm sure.:D

oldskool138 said:
And did you see that pass Brady threw in the Bills' game that was interceptec ? My God, we can't have that guy throwing the ball anymore :rolleyes: Jesus, man, Maroney caught fine in camp and preseason, why in the world are you judging him on one play ?

BelichickFan said:
And did you see that pass Brady threw in the Bills' game that was interceptec ? My God, we can't have that guy throwing the ball anymore :rolleyes: Jesus, man, Maroney caught fine in camp and preseason, why in the world are you judging him on one play ?

Look guys and gals, maybe I came off the wrong way. Please accept my mea culpa but only after reading my other posts. I'm not trying to be negative, just analytical. I think they'll win on Sunday night. Quite handily.

oldskool138 said:
Look guys and gals, maybe I came off the wrong way. Please accept my mea culpa but only after reading my other posts. I'm not trying to be negative, just analytical. I think they'll win on Sunday night. Quite handily.
I actually want more passes to Maroney. I also liked that pitch they tossed to him in the Buffalo game although it didn't work that one time. I want Maoney out in space and throwing to him accomplishes that.

Now, for this week I wouldn't expect it much as Denver has those fast LB.

Pats Offense against Broncos Defense

This year should be different. Broncos will have to respect the PATs
run or they will pay. PATs new run dimension should give Denver
headaches.

Denver's D is all about speed. One way to negate that to some extent
is to run at the speedy players and use power to take them out of the play.
I think PATs have the players this year to do that.
I expect PATs will be able to run well. I would not be surprised to see them
run 35 to 40 times. Denver's defense is fairly small on the outside and their
LB's are not that big. With Maroney's burst and a healthy PATs Oline they
should be able to run over the Broncos. PATs TE match up well against their LBs.

That doesn't mean PATs pass offesive gets the day off but it will be
used at critical times to burn the Broncos if they try suffing the Box and
from time to time to try and catch them off guard.

PATs may come out throwing/no huddle to catch Broncos off guard and to try and get an early lead but they should settle into a run mostly offense.

PATs Defense against Broncos Offense

I think PAT D will be able to limit Broncos run offense pretty well. There may
be one or two long gains but mostly it will be contained.
PATs will probably make stopping the Denver run a priority. On passing
downs the secondary shouldn't have to cover too long as I expect Pats to
get to Plummer often. Wilfork's improvement should be huge in that
respect. I expect several stalled drives.

Plummer's confidence can't be at an all time high and he is under pressure
to perform. Plummer and his new receivers haven't really jelled yet as with
Brady. The one receiver he has rapport with ... Rod Smith .. has been off
his game this year and had a head injury last week. The only way I can
see Denver taking control of this game to have an unexpected great
preformance from Plummer and PATs secondary to have a sub Par performance.

PATs should stop the run and make Jake beat them, I don't think he can.
If TOP is significantly in favor by 4th Q, then Denver's D is going to be
hurting while Dillon and Maroney are still farily fresh.

Last edited:
JR4 said:
PATs Defense against Broncos Offense

I think PAT D will be able to limit Broncos run offense pretty well. There may
be one or two long gains but mostly it will be contained.
PATs will probably make stopping the Denver run a priority. On passing
downs the secondary shouldn't have to cover too long as I expect Pats to
get to Plummer often. Wilfork's improvement should be huge in that
respect. I expect several stalled drives.

Plummer's confidence can't be at an all time high and he is under pressure
to perform. Plummer and his new receivers haven't really jelled yet as with
Brady. The one receiver he has rapport with ... Rod Smith .. has been off
his game this year and had a head injury last week. The only way I can
see Denver taking control of this game to have an unexpected great
preformance from Plummer and PATs secondary to have a sub Par performance.

PATs should stop the run and make Jake beat them, I don't think he can.
If TOP is significantly in favor by 4th Q, then Denver's D is going to be
hurting while Dillon and Maroney are still farily fresh.

What would you do about the Jake Plummer bootleg to the right that has killed us in the past? Don't you think that they will use that this week again?

PatsDeb said:
What would you do about the Jake Plummer bootleg to the right that has killed us in the past? Don't you think that they will use that this week again?

I think we should be able to defend that play now if not we need to seem some of the film between the broncos and the rams. The Rams did a great job against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back