PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So, How Would You Game-Plan for Denver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with most of you guys.

I think if the run game is going to be the strength of the team, we should be able to do it even if the other team is loading up to stop us. I think this team is able to run on the broncos regardless of what denver does. We should beat them up with the run relentlessly. We can grind them to dust, and we should.

Brady should take his shots, but the passing game is not quite where it should be, and the broncos secondary probably has the advantage in this match up. Because of this, I would mostly just take whatever the broncos give us, with only a few shots down the field if there is defensive breakdown or one of our WR/TE/RB can get on top of the defenders.

On defense, solid run defense and pass rush are the key. I would alternate between the 3-4 and 4-3, but stick more with the 4-3 than with the 3-4. I don't have 100% confidence in our pass defense, but if we can pressure jake and limit the amount of time he has to scan the field, it will help our dbs a lot. I have total faith in our ability to stop denver's run game. I don't feel that jake's problems so far this season are any indication how he'll play against us. I would still give the passing game respect, but focus on the run.

I believe that BB has been holding back a lot of the things the Pats can do and have been working on because he is preparing for the broncos and other difficult teams still on the schedule. He knows the Pats struggle with denver, and I'm sure he has put a lot into his game planning. We will see some good stuff Sunday night.

Also, Chad Jackson is listed as questionable on the injury report, but he figures in on some of the game plans listed here. Do you guys think he will play? I was pretty much counting him out. If he does play, that would be a big lift.

Of course, I am just a fan with none of the talents the Patriots coaching staff have. I can't wait for the game and to see the Pats fight for 3-0 on national TV!!!!

This has the makings of a final possession game, I like the Pats to win but not cover. Looking ahead at the schedule this is an important game, if we win this game and beat Miami in week 5, instantly we have a 2.5 game lead on the Phins. If we get tripped up by Denver and the Bengals then game 5 becomes critical.

On Offense - Overall the offensive game plan and in game adjustments need to get better. This is a very good defense, no obvious weaknesses. I expect to start with an emphasis on the pass just to keep things honest, as the game progresses more runs \ screens \ short passes thrown in. Once the running game is established we could see more shots downfield, we have to hit one of them sooner or later... In the end 33 pass attempts 240 yards, 32 rushes 110 yards. 20 points.

Defense - Bend but don't break, concentrate on the run and bootlegs. No big plays! The first game in Denver last year was ugly. Final numbers: Denver gets 27 pass attempts 180 yards, 35 rushes 125 yards. 17 points

Special Teams - This could be the difference in the game, our coverage has looked a little better this year but the return game is nothing stellar. The Patriots have to keep the battle of field position close, we can't give them better field position on every possession.

Final Patriots 20 Broncos 17

DYNASTY IS **OVER*** GO BRONCOS!!! SEE YOU SUNDAY!

Broncos Have Owned The Patriots
By Arnie Stapleton, AP Sports Writer
(AP) ENGLEWOOD, Colo. The New England Patriots may be the barometer for success in the NFL, yet the Denver Broncos have owned them for years.

Since 1984, the Broncos are 15-3 against New England, including playoff wins in 1986 and last season when Champ Bailey picked off Tom Brady and returned it 100 yards in the divisional round.

The Broncos are 23-15 against New England and even own a winning record (8-7) on the road against the Patriots.

Coach Mike Shanahan, whose team travels to New England for a Sunday night showdown, has no explanation for Denver's dominance in the series.

"I really don't know," he said Wednesday. "All of the games have been great games. It is usually a very physical game and comes down to the last quarter. Hopefully we can sneak another one."

Lately, the series has pitted two of the brightest offensive minds in the NFL in Shanahan and Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

Said Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer: "With these two coaches, it's like a chess match almost."

"Bill really keeps you off balance," Shanahan agreed. "He uses a three-man front, a four-man front. Over the last five or six years, I think that he has used every type of defense front that we could possibly see from eight-man fronts to wide-tackle-six to the straight 3-4s. He really makes you prepare not only in your base-offensive game plan but in the nickel game plan, as well."

Belichick is equally effusive in his praise for Shanahan.

"I think everybody knows how I feel about Shanahan. I think he's one of the best coaches in the league," Belichick said. "I felt that for a long time. He does a great job of preparing his team, giving a defense difficult looks, managing a game, making adjustments in the game when he sees what the other team is doing.

"I think he's a great football coach. He's had tremendous success and rightly so because he does as good a job as anybody. I have as much respect for Mike Shanahan as any coach I've coached against. Any coach in the National Football League."

Lately, the series has pitted two of the brightest offensive minds in the NFL in Shanahan and Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

That's funny I could've swarn BB was a former D-coordinator. :p

JakeGirl said:
DYNASTY IS **OVER*** GO BRONCOS!!! SEE YOU SUNDAY!

Broncos Have Owned The Patriots
By Arnie Stapleton, AP Sports Writer
(AP) ENGLEWOOD, Colo. The New England Patriots may be the barometer for success in the NFL, yet the Denver Broncos have owned them for years.

Since 1984, the Broncos are 15-3 against New England, including playoff wins in 1986 and last season when Champ Bailey picked off Tom Brady and returned it 100 yards in the divisional round.

The Broncos are 23-15 against New England and even own a winning record (8-7) on the road against the Patriots.

Coach Mike Shanahan, whose team travels to New England for a Sunday night showdown, has no explanation for Denver's dominance in the series.

"I really don't know," he said Wednesday. "All of the games have been great games. It is usually a very physical game and comes down to the last quarter. Hopefully we can sneak another one."

Said Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer: "With these two coaches, it's like a chess match almost."

"Bill really keeps you off balance," Shanahan agreed. "He uses a three-man front, a four-man front. Over the last five or six years, I think that he has used every type of defense front that we could possibly see from eight-man fronts to wide-tackle-six to the straight 3-4s. He really makes you prepare not only in your base-offensive game plan but in the nickel game plan, as well."

Belichick is equally effusive in his praise for Shanahan.

"I think everybody knows how I feel about Shanahan. I think he's one of the best coaches in the league," Belichick said. "I felt that for a long time. He does a great job of preparing his team, giving a defense difficult looks, managing a game, making adjustments in the game when he sees what the other team is doing.

"I think he's a great football coach. He's had tremendous success and rightly so because he does as good a job as anybody. I have as much respect for Mike Shanahan as any coach I've coached against. Any coach in the National Football League."

Well, Jake's Girl, we all think your boy is in for a rude awakening come Sunday; we'll see how it goes. Also, as an aside, the more effusive praise BB gives to another team, the more he has up his sleeve for them in his game plan. Here's to a good game and your early exit from our board.

would it be wrong of me to chant cat fight? :bricks:

PatsDeb said:
When Charlie Weis was here they often came out with something totally unexpected. What if they come out 5 wide with no backfield and the no-huddle? :)

Great point and I'd not be shocked by this other than the minutiae of the 5 wide outs part given that Brady's timing with Grabriel and Caldwell isn't where it needs to be, and I really don't expect to see Jonathan Smith getting many reps. Instead, maybe 3 wides and two TEs or Faulk in a spread set out of the shotgun or some other variant of what you've stated.

Getting out to an early lead and protecting that lead, however, is critical in this game. Even in the fiasco at Mile High last year, while dinged up to boot, Dillon ran effectively. The problem was, the Pats were always behind and playing catch up ball, and as such, became increasingly one dimensional on offense as the game clock dwindled.

NEM said:
Of course, so thats why we hit them where they dont expect us to...in the passing game...and quick, inside routes that are hard to cover, crossings...hard to cover, and then deep post with play action. They will never expect it, and why do what they expect??????

My thinking as well, especially about the 15-25 yard crossing patterns. I'm not implying the Pats abandon the run. On the contrary. I think they need to take an early lead and play into their strengths which happens to be their running game. But why wouldn't any QB with a brain and Brown, Chad Jackson, Watson and Graham, not take advantage of all that real estate vacated by John Lynch when he's cheating and stacking the box? Run it down their throats, get some big passing plays when their D over-committs to stopping the run, then cram it down their throats again. Only this time, it hurts more because it's the second half, the D's been on the field for much of the game, and Dillons got steam coming out of his nose intent on dishing out some pain.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Expect Wilfork to line up a yard to 1 & 1/2 yds off the ball and force the C & Gs to come to him.

It'd be interesting to see which gap Wilfork lines up in once all the shifting and reshifting is done prior to the snap. Does he more often draw the RG so that Warren's left alone with Foster or does he draw the LG and force a TE to help out on Seymour.

Ideally I'd like to see us jump out to a lead early & deliver a heavy dose of Dine & Dash ;) in the 2nd half. :singing:

PATSNUTme said:
Although our base 3-4 is a good D for run stopping, it may not work as well againts Denver.

Would a 4-3 be better againt their cut and chop blocking? In a 3-4 the D linemen are sitting ducks as they are trying to hold and conctrot the gaps.

In and agressive 4-3 the D-linemen are moving up field more and not a sitting target for the cut and chop blocking.
Are you referring to the 3-4 used in the divisional round playoff where Denver needed yellow hankies to gain ground? Your dealing with a zone-blocking, cutback running team, which players are going to be quicker to change direction and get to cutback lanes? DL or LB?

Wotan_the_Wanderer said:
It'd be interesting to see which gap Wilfork lines up in once all the shifting and reshifting is done prior to the snap. Does he more often draw the RG so that Warren's left alone with Foster or does he draw the LG and force a TE to help out on Seymour.
Wilfork lines up on the C, Sey and Ty over the OT. In the 3-4, the LBs do most of the shifts and fakes, but it seems those are most often in passing stuations. Last season Wilfork was lining up with his nose just about touching the ball, BB took a hand with the DL and backed all of them off the ball later in the season to the point where Vince would line up over a yd from the ball. This gave him a better view of the O-line and allowed him to get better reads on the blocking scheme, it also forces the G's to take a step or two forward in order to double him (or in Denver's case, chop block him), it helps to prepare yourself when you can see the attack coming.

The strength of our D is obviously in the front 4. Stopping the run is priority #1 against Denver especially considering it's at Gillette so they're going to more inclined to want to quiet the crowd with long sustaining drives. Therefore a 4-3 would be most effective IMO.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Wilfork lines up on the C, Sey and Ty over the OT.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but my point was about which guard Wilfork would draw in a double team. Obviously, given that he's the nose in a 34, he's defending the A gaps so he's around center. However, he does not line up directly in front of the center. More often, Wifork's lined up off center with the center on his right shoulder and RG over on his left shoulder. He'll also often switch to the other side of the gap so that the center's now on his left shoulder and the LG over his right. Hell, we've even seen extreme shifts in gap assignment pending on situation and the match-up to see Warren far wide with the RT on his right shoulder, Wilfork lined up so that the RT is on his left shoulder and the RG on his right and Seymour defending the A gap, leaving the opponent's LT one on one against Colvin.

In the 3-4, the LBs do most of the shifts and fakes, but it seems those are most often in passing stuations.

The D-linemen shift around quite a bit also, especially Wilfork. Sometimes it's in reaction to the plays being called by the offense, and at others, it's to readjust his angle on the center/guard. Seymour does this less often than Wilfork and Warren shifts or fidgets the least. But yes, the LBs are ones who do the most shifting.

Wotan_the_Wanderer said:
Maybe I wasn't clear, but my point was about which guard Wilfork would draw in a double team. Obviously, given that he's the nose in a 34, he's defending the A gaps so he's around center. However, he does not line up directly in front of the center. More often, Wifork's lined up off center with the center on his right shoulder and RG over on his left shoulder. He'll also often switch to the other side of the gap so that the center's now on his left shoulder and the LG over his right. Hell, we've even seen extreme shifts in gap assignment pending on situation and the match-up to see Warren far wide with the RT on his right shoulder, Wilfork lined up so that the RT is on his left shoulder and the RG on his right and Seymour defending the A gap, leaving the opponent's LT one on one against Colvin.

The D-linemen shift around quite a bit also, especially Wilfork. Sometimes it's in reaction to the plays being called by the offense, and at others, it's to readjust his angle on the center/guard. Seymour does this less often than Wilfork and Warren shifts or fidgets the least. But yes, the LBs are ones who do the most shifting.
I know last year was an odd one, but when I watched tape last year and in the Buffalo game, Vince was pretty much heads up on the C. Shifting to one side or another seems like it would defeat the purpose of two-gapping. I can see Ty or Sey shifting a bit in relation to TE's and slot receivers if the OLB sets up further outside, but I don't see that too much from Vince when I watch tape.

As far as Denver's blocking, last year Vince was very susceptable to being cut by Nalen (C) and spent a lot of time on his face, freeing the Gs to harass the ILBs. That obviously improved by the playoff game, but Vince was still getting cut more than I wanted to see.

On FSN this week I heard Vince say he prefers to play in the 4-3 as it frees him up more.

Willie55 said:
On defense the Broncos are giving up 135 yards/game rushing. I would pound them into submission with Dillon and Maroney. I wouldn't even think of passing until they put 8 men in the box. After they did that I'd send Gabriel or Jackson on streak route.

Plummer's playing like crap this year. So bad that they're talking about bringing Cutler in at QB. I would take away Tatum Bell and the running game and make Plummer beat us.

Ditto. We never had a great running game before so they gambled and intercepted. Double trouble.:D

Wotan_the_Wanderer said:
My thinking as well, especially about the 15-25 yard crossing patterns. I'm not implying the Pats abandon the run. On the contrary. I think they need to take an early lead and play into their strengths which happens to be their running game. But why wouldn't any QB with a brain and Brown, Chad Jackson, Watson and Graham, not take advantage of all that real estate vacated by John Lynch when he's cheating and stacking the box? Run it down their throats, get some big passing plays when their D over-committs to stopping the run, then cram it down their throats again. Only this time, it hurts more because it's the second half, the D's been on the field for much of the game, and Dillons got steam coming out of his nose intent on dishing out some pain.

Good point Wotan.

You mean something like this?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6238953685626218421

We stack up pretty well up front-Denver has some power.
The will run and we'll be ready.
They pose a deep threat too.
Shanahan isn't afraid to take risks so we should counter that and try to strike early with some shock plays-defensively and offensively.

DEFENSIVELY- We should not be afraid to blitz and try to stuff their backfield (rushing and qb) early in the game. We really have to play at full throttle for 4 quarters defensively-Denver has a dangerous offensive weapons let alone play calls.. (Jax played very well in the last game and wore down Pitts) We need to do that with the same intensity and be relentless on D. Some hybrid lineup combos could help too. Containing the QB and setting the tone for the game should be done early,hopefully our db's can make a couple of big turn-over plays by playing focused and aggressively. We should not play defense too -conservatively and we need to be ready for Shanahan's bust out plays.

OFFENSIVELY-I think we should allow some time for Tom to play hurry up and control the tempo. It's all going to get better as the season rolls for Tom. He thinks and feels he's in a fog but he's not. We can wear Denver's defense down with some tempo adjustments and we can't forget about our good running game too. Both teams are good at clock control. There are many defensive looks we can expect from them but as long as our line protects Tom and our recievers are in synch with Tom (maybe some ole' Troy Brown dink and dunks)-we should be fine. We need to hustle. We have to protect the ball from Denver's defense as well-we should take some shots down field-but we need to make sure the reciever isn't smothered by 3 guys trying to tip off on the pass-play calling will get more exciting for the second half. Champ Bailey and Lynch will be ready to play hard and focused-they know we have some new dudes too.

Who knows, maybe this could be like the Pitt and Jax game-low scoring.
Or, this could be an offensive assault.
We should play smart but also take some chances when the time is right.
This will be one of the best games this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back