PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roethlisberger not looking so great?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OntarioPatsFan

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
It sounds like mere speculation from the guys at PFT, but it perked my curiosity.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

So I tried to find picture's of Ben's face, post-faceplant. His eye's are definately looking not so straight...

333415.jpg

OntarioPatsFan said:
It sounds like mere speculation from the guys at PFT, but it perked my curiosity.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

So I tried to find picture's of Ben's face, post-faceplant. His eye's are definately looking not so straight...

333415.jpg

This is just speculation since I haven't examined Big Ben...but orbital fractures (the bones that make up the socket that surround the eye and are extremely thin) are pretty common with extensive facial trauma like the kind he suffered. One side effect of an orbital fracture can be double vision (temporarily) which can negatively affect your abilities to be an NFL QB.
They also take a long time to heal in contrast to the titanium plates holding his jaws together which heal faster......
It could also just be the swelling from a healing zygomatic arch (cheek bone) which makes the eye look distorted when in reality it's not.....and is a much less serious condition for a pro athlete.
Just my $0.02 as a DMD

Last edited:
Appreciate the insight, PFInPhilly.

Big Ben took a terrible hit ... for a young man groovin' on top of his world ... or anyone less robust and elastic.

I truly hope that this impairs his play not at all.

But how can it not?

I think he looks pretty good considering what happened to him just six weeks ago....but, how can you go out on a football field three months after your face was bashed in and not let it affect you? Forget the physical aspects, what about the mental? How can you instintinctively not want to take a dive everytime you see some three hundred lb. lineman running at you through your very thin face mask right toward your surgically repaired and still painful face? It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I hope it does affect his play, but not his life.

Does anyone know anything about Ben's health and chances of playing on opening night? I really want him to play so we have a shot at the Steelers while they are at full strength.

I guess instinctively we all expected his face to look mangled. So comparatively speaking he looked pretty good at first glance. But if you look closer he now looks like a half way decent Ben impersonator. Facial struture is subtley quite different. No more chipmunk cheeks. Eyes appear to be set deeper and a hair off kilter. Nose is a tad offset too. Face looks thinner but I don't think it's the weight loss which was minimal but rather he looks like someone who had a slightly too tight face lift. And he talks a little funny.

The damage he suffered was the worst case scenario, although some are attempting to spin it as the best case scenario. Having your jaw wired shut for 6 weeks is a cakewalk compared to what he has undergone. Manning played one season with his wired shut (must have reaked havor with his audiblizing - probably how some of that annoying flapping evolved). Ben was on a soft/liquid diet for the first month anyway. He claims to have had no vision complications though he did have the orbital fractures, as well as nasal/sinus, cheek and upper and lower jaw displaced fractures. One PA doc who commented while he was in surgery said that particular spectrum of injuries would be a worst case scenario and if it happened to a patient of his he would not be playing football for several months. Much like old Barbaro, there is a risk of infection and to some extent rejection when you have metal rods or plates or screws or other implants added to your anatomy that can manifest itself over a period of months and likely that could be exacerbated by additional trauma to the area for some time.

Ben's still the prince of denial so I imagine he will push and unless the Steelers medical personnel intervene Cowher will probably acquiesse to his "free spirit" QB. Unless he sees things in camp that scare him. Cowher said early on that they didn't anticipate any special protective helmet requirements, but as usual Ben contradicted him last week and said they would begin trying some out this week.

Between Jerome retiring, the loss of their stealth weapon in ARE, Porter announcing he will refuse to "be a leader" unless he gets a new contract, Ben's bionic face transplant, Holmes arrest record and Cowher possibly hedging on extending himself beyond 2008 - this could be one doozie of a post Superbowl season in Pittsburgh.

Ben might be just fine, then again, he might not. Aside from the physical injuries he may also have some emotional issues to deal with. Didn't Paul Pierce struggle after coming back from the stabbing? I realize Pierce was intentionally stabbed whereas Ben was in an accident but I think when you realize you could die, it changes everything. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

I guess we'll see how Ben handles it. He's still ugly though.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
Does anyone know anything about Ben's health and chances of playing on opening night? I really want him to play so we have a shot at the Steelers while they are at full strength.

When this first happened I thought he had no chance of playing early in the season. However he is working out (and apparently played a decent game of golf at a celebrity golf tournament on the weekend, so I would guess his vision's fine). At this point it sounds like he probably will start the season, but there's always the chance of a setback.

My guess is he sees his first game action in the third pre-season game.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
Careful what you wish for Aqua Velva.

ClosingTime said:
Careful what you wish for Aqua Velva.
This is probably bravado in the Doofans case, but I'm surprised at your answer. Are you one of those guys that hope his team draws the weakest playoff opponents? Teams whose stars are out? Not me.

If you think your team is the best, it should be able to beat the best, home or away. If you are concerned about your team's ability, then, sure, I agree that you should be careful what you wish for.

Not saying this is unique to you Steeler fans. I remember in 2003 a lot of Patsfans were hoping that the Ravens would beat the Titans. I was hoping that we'd play both the Titans and the Colts, so Brady could beat the two pretenders, the so-called co-MVP QBs.

Hey, while your on the line, what's the latest with Santonio Holmes?

And Joey Porter. I read somewhere he says he won't be a leader if he doesn't get a new contract? What's that all about?

Last edited:
I'll play along.
First, I like to play teams at their best but the Miami hype is getting way ahead of reality. The reality is it will take a while for the offense to gel. I think they will be good this year but not at the beginning of the season. Hence I think our Aqua Velva man is being a little foolish with hsi 'bring it on' mentality. But that's neither here nor there.
I suspect the Poter "news" about the leader stuff is culled from PFT. Funny that there are no quotes, no sources, no nothing. Florio is fishing once again. Throw it all up on the wall and see what sticks. Even if it is true I doubt Porter could keep his mouth shut. I'll bet that a four year old can keep silent for longer than Porter could. Not that I don't like Porter, I do, he just likes to talk.
Holmes, what can you say. Hopefully he gets his head screwed on straight and the past few months are not indicative of the type of person he is. I remember hearing all sorts of thngs about the strenght of character of Holmes prior to the draft. If he doesn't wake up quick he'll be out of Pittsburgh pretty darn quick. I already suspect the Steeler swill sg him to a three-year, maybe four year deal at most so they can cut ties with him if he does truely continue to be a f-up.

I finally found a picture of Big Ben

Last edited:
Wow, it took you four weeks to find a Photoshoped pic that was up the day after the accident. Methinks you are closely related to person in that mocked up pic.
Better ot to open your mouth if you are a fool.

ClosingTime said:
I suspect the Poter "news" about the leader stuff is culled from PFT. Funny that there are no quotes, no sources, no nothing. Florio is fishing once again. Throw it all up on the wall and see what sticks. Even if it is true I doubt Porter could keep his mouth shut. I'll bet that a four year old can keep silent for longer than Porter could. Not that I don't like Porter, I do, he just likes to talk.
Just wondering. heard it and in my advanced years forgot where I'd heard it. Thought you might know something. have to keep up with the Steelers. I think the Colts are headed for the toilet, and the Pats and Steelers will bump heads for a few years to come. Too bad we couldn't have met last year post-season...

ClosingTime said:
Holmes, what can you say. Hopefully he gets his head screwed on straight and the past few months are not indicative of the type of person he is. I remember hearing all sorts of thngs about the strenght of character of Holmes prior to the draft. If he doesn't wake up quick he'll be out of Pittsburgh pretty darn quick. I already suspect the Steeler swill sg him to a three-year, maybe four year deal at most so they can cut ties with him if he does truely continue to be a f-up.
Well, having lived through Chris Canty, Eugene Chung, One-Yard dupard and teh immortal Trevor matich, it won't bother me for the Steelers to have a dud on their hands once in a while. Back last year I had hoped you wouldn;t have resigned Hines Ward. He'd have looked good in Patriot Blue.

Last edited by a moderator:
ClosingTime said:
Wow, it took you four weeks to find a Photoshoped pic that was up the day after the accident. Methinks you are closely related to person in that mocked up pic.
Better ot to open your mouth if you are a fool.
Geez I only joined 2 days ago and had no idea what was on this site prior to that. Methinks I found my first jerk on the site.

spacecrime said:
Back last year I had hoped you wouldn;t have resigned Hines Ward. He'd have looked good in Patriot Blue.
If Hines Ward wasn't resigned I would have seriously reconsidered my alliegence. Not that I would but it would have made me sick. Like when they let Rod Woodson walk.

Geez I only joined 2 days ago and had no idea what was on this site prior to that. Methinks I found my first jerk on the site.
As I said, listen more than you speak. And yes you'll fid no argument on here to attest to thae fact that I am a jerk, idiot, troll, sodomite, pennypincher, leper, etc. Just FYI. But if you can't swim in the deep end stay in the kiddie pool and leavethe smack up to others.

Last edited:
ClosingTime said:
If Hines Ward wasn't resigned I would have seriously reconsidered my alliegence. Not that I would but it would have made me sick. Like when they let Rod Woodson walk.

As I said, listen more than you speak. And yes you'll fid no argument on here to attest to thae fact that I am a jerk, idiot, troll, sodomite, pennypincher, leper, etc. Just FYI. But if you can't swim in the deep end stay in the kiddie pool and leavethe smack up to others.
So you're a Steeler Troll. That makes sense. The Big Ben picture (yes it was old) was a joke not smack talk. FYI I will make of you and the last thing I will ever do is give any credibility to that diarhea that is coming out of your mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents