PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ricky Manning Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Saw him mentioned in another thread. He's currently an RFA tendered a 3rd. I would love the Pats to put together an offer sheet for him. A bit undersized but a tough physical corner. Def. BB type.

Anyone know CAR's cap shape? I know they just gave Keyshawn some dough, not sure how much more they got floating around.

I think if the Pats strucutre the offer in such a way that loads a big salary in Year 1 (kind of antithetical to most contracts) that would make it tough for CAR to match this year, depending on how much $$ they have under cap for 06.

Thoughts?

Id rather give one of our thirds for Javon Walker...

tombonneau said:
Saw him mentioned in another thread. He's currently an RFA tendered a 3rd. I would love the Pats to put together an offer sheet for him. A bit undersized but a tough physical corner. Def. BB type.

Anyone know CAR's cap shape? I know they just gave Keyshawn some dough, not sure how much more they got floating around.

I think if the Pats strucutre the offer in such a way that loads a big salary in Year 1 (kind of antithetical to most contracts) that would make it tough for CAR to match this year, depending on how much $$ they have under cap for 06.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? I think you stole my thread idea. lol.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=33450

I think if Warfield signs, then no Manning. I'd also rather use that pick to trade for a WR.

Hell, we got 20 mill? Pats could afford a Snyderesque signing spree... it's just not like them to do so. (But wouldn't ya love Belichick to get a bonk on the head, and wake up in the hospital calling for Moulds, Walker, Manning, Warfield, Arrington, and his "big boy" checkbook?)

Actually, I wouldn't. But it's fun to think about, in these dry sterile off-season days, when fans beg for the least scraps of minor interest in the free agent market.

The name of the game here (for the Pats,) is usually to sign people we don't know about. That said, "usually" is a pretty shaky concept when analyzing the Pats' moves, except in retrospect.

We have to remember, we just don't know. I remember being really psyched when Chad Brown came in. That guy had very respectable tackle totals in Seattle. Stats said he should be good. Didn't translate well to the NE system, and that's the call BB/SP are always trying to make - can he be good as a Patriot?

Well, if we throw enough stuff against the wall, something's bound to stick. If it's this one, Welcome, Ricky!

PFnV

He's a bit too mouthy for my lliking..maybe BB sees more in him..BUT with Warfield possibly here...no need for a Manning..

id love him here. He was unselfish and accept moving to nickel and let Chris Gamble start. Hes a good player

Everybody's saying this draft is crazy deep at defensive back. Now while it would feel good to have another veteran DB, I could accept going onto the field with the current crop, especially given the high price of a proven DB. We could spend big dollars and bring in a pro bowl guy, and he'll start. Most other guys will end up being "insurance," "depth," whatever you want to call your backup DB or nickelback/backup CB.

What we keep seeing is it takes at least a half a season to get a grip on playing this D, usually more like a season (that's why I say don't judge too quickly on some of the fill-ins from last year.)

I wonder whether the "plug and play" mentality will work with a Manning. I can't reel off the Panthers' defensive sets - are they nearly as complex? How much 3-4 do they play, and is there a big difference from the POV of a DB? Are the seams in the same places on the zones?

These questions point to one big question: with a deep draft for DBs, and a fieldable (though perhaps not ideal) opening day lineup, do we want to address this expensive position through FA or the draft? The little question that plays into the big question is, how hard or easy is it to plug in a DB? Is it a matter of running real fast and putting up your hands at the right time? That might make a one-year DB pickup a decent option, if at the right price (in relative terms.)

PFnV

Last edited:
I agree why does everyone say we really need a CB? Obviously Bill has gone with younger guys

Are we happy with Samuel since he came? Pretty much, yeah
How happy were we that Blue showed promise and played well coming out of nowhere? Very happy and thought he could be a starter

How much have fans talked about Hobbs being a great player in the future? I've heard a lot and I wouldnt disagree.

We have 3 young players..2 of them will be fighting for that #2 spot. Behind them, we have a veteran in Chad Scott. What we need is leadership. Harrison being back on the field would help a lot. He commands these youngsters. Last year with Sanders and Scott filling in, they are young and no leadership really. Hawkins was a veteran and came in and straightened a few times up and didnt make mistakes on his part of the coverage.

What we need on defense is an OLB, possibly a future SS and some depth at LB for the future. Offensivly we need a WR, RB for future and possibly an OL

Bring him on! Now THATS a player I can get all bunched up in the britchers about. BB kinda player, young and will have to be told to keep his f'ing mouth shut here. Definitely worth a third round pick. Don't know if it will even develop into a rumor though, :(

College - UCLA

http://manning24.com/

barfanspot.gif

He must be friends with Willie McGinest. ;)

Seriously though, isn't this guy considered to be a 1-year wonder? He was pushed into the nickel role last season, if I'm not mistaken, due to disappointing play. I agree with Sean, I'd rather have Walker or keep the 3rd rounder.

no it wasnt because of dissapointment play. they picked up a good CB in Lucas and before this they chose Chris Gamble in first round. They competed and Gamble being such a good player, he didnt mind moving back. He started against us in SB, hes good and would likely start next to Samuel if he came here

F.B.N. said:
We'll have to get together with Soprano and have a "Sit Down" over this. :D
na, great minds think alike

Remix 6 said:
no it wasnt because of dissapointment play. they picked up a good CB in Lucas and before this they chose Chris Gamble in first round. They competed and Gamble being such a good player, he didnt mind moving back. He started against us in SB, hes good and would likely start next to Samuel if he came here

'Forgot about Lucas. But Carolina's secondary underachieved last season, it was the weakest part of their defense at least. Gamble and Manning are both prone to getting burned. I'd say Manning is equally talented with Hobbs, our current #2; they're both a little raw.

their weakest link? 191.1 ypg is ranked 9th in the league..not their weakest. 23 ints ranked them 3rd

Remix 6 said:
their weakest link? 191.1 ypg is ranked 9th in the league..not their weakest. 23 ints ranked them 3rd

Where do you get those stats so fast, lol? I thought they were better at stopping the run, my bad.

Carolina has a great d-line and LB corps, so that's why I said their secondary is probably where offenses should attack them. Stats probably prove me wrong again, right? :bricks:

Last edited:
nfl.com team stats :)

ranked 4 against run 91.6 ypg

solid defense. overall

Remix 6 said:
nfl.com team stats :)

ranked 4 against run 91.6 ypg

solid defense. overall

Ahh, the good 'ole NFL.com. Thanks for making me look like a blabbering idiot. :beersign:

Carry on with the thread. I'm done.

If Manning came here, I doubt he'd start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back