PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report out of Washington: Goodell's role to be reduced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for the NFLPA to play hardball, hopefully with the wind of a 3--0 rejection of Goodell's Appeal by the Second Circuit at their back. Maybe now they'll do what Kessler wanted last time...but are we fans going to stand behind them if they have to strike?

That is the way experienced management personnel go about their business. Goodell has proven to be unsuited and to be a failure, unlike Rozelle and Tabliabue before him.

First they emasculate Goodell, of some of his duties, rendering him less harmful, then they eliminate many of his key subordinates, and hence render him impotent, until he can choose to retire early, or be replaced when his contract runs out.

Kraft's strike back is winning!
wrong. You are assuming that the owners would have to even worry about "managing" goodell by manipulating his environment. This isn't the CEO of a corporation. This is hired help doing the bidding of 32 owners. Thinking that Kraft has anything to do with this is pure fantasy. If anything like what is in that report is going to happen it will be the result of the raw exercise of power by the NFLPA. The jury is out on whether they have the stomach for it. Kessler does. I don't know if Demaurice Smith does.

suggestion:

Scoopin-up2.jpg

I wonder what the NFLPA is giving up?

Good question. Not sure they need to give up anything as they are kicking the NFL in court every time an appeal is upheld.

The NFL needs to take measures so Goody doesn't F up again

Bill Murray's a little older now. Maybe Roger Goodell's new role should be as the ball washer at Bushwood Country Club.
ball washer.gif

Last edited:
**** I thought this was a new thread....​

**** I thought this was a new thread....​
Well it started a while ago but some news came out yesterday from the WP with updates on the negotiations b/t/w the league and the NFLPA.

Rather than start a new thread I just added it to the old one...

I wonder what the NFLPA is giving up?
They don't have to give up anything and they should not give up anything.

The timing of this, if it is true, is very interesting and very suspect.

My read is that some of the more alert owners (not a large number) have read the handwriting on the wall, or rather in Judge Berman's decision. I also think that this has nothing to do with Goodell personally. He is hired help and disposable in the minds of a bunch of billionaires. If they thought the problem could be solved by buying Goodell out of his contract today, they would.

But now they know they have a deeper problem.

It looks to me like the smart owners are trying to cut a deal with the NFLPA before the Second Circuit has a chance to overturn their Appeal.

They should have listened to Kessler last time. But DeMaurice Smith does not inspire a lot of confidence in that regard. He strikes me as someone who would rather appease than fight...I hope he proves me wrong.

The smart thing for the NFLPA to do is to delay and bet that the Second Circuit rules in its favor (3--0 would be nice) and then play hardball, with no renegotiation or negotiation of the CBA other than on terms that overturn all of Goodell's arbitrary authority, in addition, of course, to the designation of permanent, third-party arbitration of disciplinary matters.

Last edited:
Agreed. I wonder what the worst case scenario is for the NFL in the Brady case?

Is it the same as the appeals court in Missouri wrote -- that under current conditions any appeal ruling by the NFL must automatically be considered biased and open to appeal in court? If so, they definitely want this settled before that case is heard.

I take this to mean that the league wants to make his responsibilities more in line with his abilities. So does this make him the highest-paid mail room worker in the world?

They don't have to give up anything and they should not give up anything.

The timing of this, if it is true, is very interesting and very suspect.

My read is that some of the more alert owners (not a large number) have read the handwriting on the wall, or rather in Judge Berman's decision. I also think that this has nothing to do with Goodell personally. He is hired help and disposable in the minds of a bunch of billionaires. If they thought the problem could be solved by buying Goodell out of his contract today, they would.

But now they know they have a deeper problem.

It looks to me like the smart owners are trying to cut a deal with the NFLPA before the Second Circuit has a chance to overturn their Appeal.

They should have listened to Kessler last time. But DeMaurice Smith does not inspire a lot of confidence in that regard. He strikes me as someone who would rather appease than fight...I hope he proves me wrong.

The smart thing for the NFLPA to do is to delay and bet that the Second Circuit rules in its favor (3--0 would be nice) and then play hardball, with no renegotiation or negotiation of the CBA other than on terms that overturn all of Goodell's arbitrary authority, in addition, of course, to the designation of permanent, third-party arbitration of disciplinary matters.

The NFLPA has the leverage right now. If they can work out a better process for arbitration that is agreeable to them then they will do the deal. If they can't than it becomes a point of leverage used by the players during the next round of CBA negotiations. Until then they'll just keep taking Goody to court every time he F's up on an appeal hearing.

Its not that Dee Smith doesn't like a fight (check out his bio. His career as a lawyer is based on fighting), I think its more of a question if his constituency has the stomach to fight.

The NFLPA has the leverage right now. If they can work out a better process for arbitration that is agreeable to them then they will do the deal. If they can't than it becomes a point of leverage used by the players during the next round of CBA negotiations. Until then they'll just keep taking Goody to court every time he F's up on an appeal hearing.

Its not that Dee Smith doesn't like a fight (check out his bio. His career as a lawyer is based on fighting), I think its more of a question if his constituency has the stomach to fight.

Thanks. Your second point is helpful. Hope you're right about Smith and also hope that the Brady and Rice and Petersen cases have shown the players how vulnerable they are to arbitrary actions by the Owners.

Goodell is just the hired help who does the Owners' bidding. When they hired him, they thought the job required a loyal, "true believer," who would keep the trains running on time and negotiate lucrative TV and other media contracts, but they failed to realize that he would be in way over his head when it comes to managing complex situations of any nature.

Things got so ****ed up in the Rice, Petersen and Brady cases more because the Owners are so ****ed up than because Goodell is the total idiot that he is. The Owners wanted an idiot who would do their bidding and that is what they got. The timing of this suggests that a few of them have now figured that out and they're trying to backtrack before it's too late.

I agree on your first point. I hope that Smith and the NFLPA leadership understands what you are saying.

Unfortunately, I think the Owners are playing the NFLPA for dumb and hoping they can get it to take "half a loaf" rather than get a lot more when the CBA is on the table and more aggressive leadership is in place at the NFLPA..."Brady for Executive Director," anyone?

Frankly, I don't understand their apparent deep seated terror of a truly independent arbiter. Are they afraid they might get a fair outcome or something?
I agree. In fact, if I was the commissioner, I would want a truly neutral arbitrator because it would take the heat off me.

Any time the public got upset over some punishment, whether too harsh or too lenient, I'd just say "hey we got a neutral arbitrator, so don't blame me..!!"

This may be off topic, but although I am not a rich man, I would donate $1,000 to any charity for the opportunity to punch Goodell in the face, just 1 time.

Goodell is the only person I know who makes Kanye West look tolerable.

Sorry..... I couldn't help myself !

The NFL should have an agreed upon board that handles discipline. People on the board should be representative of the league ... owners ... medical experts ... players union. Of course that would cost money ... the current system is too heavily leveraged towards the league office with tattle tale owners having backdoor whining input which is wrong.

The NFL should have an agreed upon board that handles discipline. People on the board should be representative of the league ... owners ... medical experts ... players union. Of course that would cost money ... the current system is too heavily leveraged towards the league office with tattle tale owners having backdoor whining input which is wrong.
Agreed. Transparency is sorely lacking. However, the Owners are accustomed to handling the affairs of the League like those of a Private Club: "Members Only," double super-secret handshake kind of stuff.

Judge Berman showed them in scathing terms that there are limits to what they can get away with.

Now, if these reports are to be believed, all of a sudden, out of the blue, the Owners are trying to cut a deal. I find the timing very curious. It looks like they want a deal before the Second Circuit rejects their Appeal. If I were the NFLPA, I'd play hardball and be ready to wait for the ruling.

Also, while I admit that this is a stretch and pure unadulterated speculation, I always thought that the League's end game was to take the case to the Supreme Court.

I think that the League was betting that Alito, Kennedy, Roberts, Scalia and Thomas could be relied on to see things Management's way. Along those lines, I don't think it's a coincidence that the League engaged a former Solicitor General, whose job it was to argue regularly before the Court on behalf of the Bush Administration during W's Second Term, as their Lead Appellate Counsel.

Now, in light of recent events, I wonder if they're not rethinking that strategy. The timing of this (reported) move is very curious indeed.

discipline committee

I'm sure this committee will be comprised of members with high integrity and no conflict of interest.......just like the competition committee. A wolf in sheep's clothing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes