PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poaching players from the Bills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richter

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Since it seems to be the thing to do lately, it may behoove the Patriots to pick up Troy Vincent after the Bills release him, for secondary depth. The injury that landed him on IR is reportedly not very serious, and a bit of added experience there probably wouldn't hurt. Chances the Patriots bring him in for a look? I say 75%.

Richter said:
Since it seems to be the thing to do lately, it may behoove the Patriots to pick up Troy Vincent after the Bills release him, for secondary depth. The injury that landed him on IR is reportedly not very serious, and a bit of added experience there probably wouldn't hurt. Chances the Patriots bring him in for a look? I say 75%.

What makes you think they are going to release him. By putting him on IR he is not taking up a roster spot, he is still under contract and if teh injury is not that serious he would be able to play next year and still be one of their best players. What am I missing?

Richter said:

You may not have seen it, but it was recently posted in another thread that we still have the rights to Ray Ventrone - I say 37%.
Seriously, unless BB sees him as an immediate starter, I don't see him wasting a roster spot on a player who would probably only play one position.

Last edited:
jimmyjames said:
What makes you think they are going to release him. By putting him on IR he is not taking up a roster spot, he is still under contract and if teh injury is not that serious he would be able to play next year and still be one of their best players. What am I missing?
lol, nothing... the poster clearly didn't think.

He is on the Minor IR which means once he is healthy enough to play the Bills must release him and he can sign with any team other than the Bills. He is not on the Major IR which would sideline him for the season. If he is healthy a month from now someone can and most likely will sign him.

So I would give an apology if I were you drew. ;)

Last edited:
Little more info from PFT

POSTED 2:00 p.m. EDT; UPDARED 3:12 p.m. EDT, September 14, 2006
LEVY SCREWED THE POOCH ON VINCENT
We've gotten some more information regarding the manner in which Bills safety Troy Vincent landed on IR. And the manner in which the situation was handled by the team convinces us that G.M. Marv Levy has little or no skill when it comes to the complexities of managing an NFL roster.
For starters, it turns out that there really is a "minor" Injured Reserve. It's a procedure used in lieu of an injury settlement, pursuant to which the player is added to IR but must be released when healthy.
When a player is on "major" IR, he's done for the year and gets paid his normal salary.
But in Vincent's case, the end result is the same -- the Bills will owe him his entire salary for 2006. Why? Because Vincent is a vested veteran entitled to take the balance of his $2.6 million salary as termination pay.
And once he's healthy, Vincent can sign with another team and receive wages on top of the $2.6 million base salary he'll get from the Bills......

.....more at link above

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Little more info from PFT

Very interesting, thanks. I was not aware that this was possible. Did not mean to come across as snarky or flip to Richter, just didn't understand. Still not sure if that means he would sign here, but once again I learn something new on this board everyday.

jimmyjames said:
Very interesting, thanks. I was not aware that this was possible. Did not mean to come across as snarky or flip to Richter, just didn't understand. Still not sure if that means he would sign here, but once again I learn something new on this board everyday.

Don't feel bad, I also had no idea that there was a minor and major IR. I always thought there was just one, and that the player was done for the year once he was put on it. I venture to say many on this board are similarly surprised by this.
Very interesting T! Thanks for the info!

I also didn't know this before today. I'm going to say this in new for 2006. Never before in my life have I heard of a player coming off IR to play for another team.

Didn't we go through this last year with Lenny Walls from the Donks and his pulled groin or something?

mgcolby said:
He is on the Minor IR which means once he is healthy enough to play the Bills must release him and he can sign with any team other than the Bills. He is not on the Major IR which would sideline him for the season. If he is healthy a month from now someone can and most likely will sign him.

Mark me down as one of the many that scoffed at the original poster and outright laughed when I read someone talking about Minor and Major IR...

Turns out that I am the one that doesn't know Jack Schitt about IR ... LOL... oh well.

Thanks for the schooling.

poaching: what we got here is.....

mgcolby said:
looks like a new NFL trivia question to me. folks could make some serious barroom money with this one. just be sure to carry your running shoes.
i had no knowledge of this eeither.
i have a fuzzy remembrance of there being different classes of "injured", but naw. wonder how often players get poached from a minor injury list?

PatsChick87 said:
Don't feel bad, I also had no idea that there was a minor and major IR. I always thought there was just one, and that the player was done for the year once he was put on it. I venture to say many on this board are similarly surprised by this.
!

The PFT link surmised that the Bills didn't know all the nuances either or they would have used the regular IR. As it stands, as a vested veteran, he gets his full salary and once released, he can sign with another team and make MORE money. Once healthy, he will be released and can sign...Unless there is some agreeement to resign with the Bills and they are suing this to free up a roster spot but....it begs th e question, why resign when you can go elsewhere??

Entirely new concept to me. I don't know if I like it per se, because who knows, it may bite US in the butt one day too, but Pioli seems nitpicky enough to see those things coming.

Talking about poaching Bills players. i don't want Vincent; we don't need him,but i would happily trade one of our first day picks for ZTakeo Spikes. Instant rejuvenation of the LB corps....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe