PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots & the trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truck

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Especially in the last few years, the Patriots have just had some steals via trades; and there have been no trades where they got f'ed over. A really good record. Hopefully they can keep it up this offseason:

2004:
Got Corey Dillon for a 2nd round pick. Dillon set a franchise record for yards rushing.

2006:
Got a 1st round pick for Deoin Branch. A steal here as the Seahawks had to pay Branch #1 money in addition to losing the 1st round pick

2007:
Got Wes Welker for a 2nd round pick. Welker set franchise record for receptions
Got SF 1st round pick and SF 4th round pick for the Branch 1st round Pick
Got Randy Moss for SF 4th round pick. Moss has had the best 16 game season in history

Especially in the last few years, the Patriots have just had some steals via trades; and there have been no trades where they got f'ed over. A really good record. Hopefully they can keep it up this offseason:

2004:
Got Corey Dillon for a 2nd round pick. Dillon set a franchise record for yards rushing.

2006:
Got a 1st round pick for Deoin Branch. A steal here as the Seahawks had to pay Branch #1 money in addition to losing the 1st round pick

2007:
Got Wes Welker for a 2nd round pick. Welker set franchise record for receptions
Got SF 1st round pick and SF 4th round pick for the Branch 1st round Pick
Got Randy Moss for SF 4th round pick. Moss has had the best 16 game season in history

A few thoughts. Just a technicality but we actually used the Branch pick and traded our own last April. About Branch: Essentially we traded Branch for a #7 pick but there was also a two year lag in compensation. The loss of a good receiver last year could have cost us a 4th ring. A great trade but not quite as great as a lot of people make it out to be. Remember, draft gurus say that you have to devalue a future pick by 1 round each year of deferment.

Last edited:
, draft gurus say that you have to devalue a future pick by 1 round each year of deferment.

Good Points (and about the 2 year deferral).
I disagree with this one though.

The only reason future draft picks are devalued is because everyone wants satisfaction today.

A great strategy would be for the Patriots (or any team) would be to to always trade a late 1st/early 2nd for a lesser team's next year's 1st pick.

Sure, it would suck for the current year, but it makes the next year better.

Teams like the Patriots, Colts, Chargers could in fact easily do this because they dont have to rely on a player coming in and making an impact.

Teams that suck could also do this because they're not going to get better immediately anyways.

Its the middle of the road teams that have problems since they're trying to improve to get in or stay in the playofs.

I'd also include the 2003 trade for Big Ted with Chicago for a fourth round pick. Without that trade, I'm not sure BB switches to the base 34 that year.

Doug Gabriel wasn't exactly a power trade

Don't forget the Bledsoe trade. The pick they got from Buffalo was used on Ty Warren.

In the same draft, the Patriots traded pick 19 to Baltimore for a second rounder (Eugene Wilson) and a 2004 1st round pick (Vince Wilfork).

Also, Tebucky Jones was franchised in 2003 and traded to the Saints for a 3rd, a 4th and a 7th round pick. The 3rd round pick is traded to Miami for a 2004 2nd rounder (Corey Dillon). Asante Samuel is drafted in the 4th round in 2003.

A second rounder for Duane Starks will always be in the back of my head.

I think they loss when they trade their 2nd and 3rd for Green Bay's 2nd in 2006...

Pats drafted Chad Jackson. Green Bay picked Greg Jennings with Pats 2nd round selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes