PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots' Kaczur arrested for illegal possession of painkillers

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are actually correct here. The only problem is that people don't know if they are predisposed or not. So most just assume they are not.

But one must take a drink or drug to become addicted. Alcoholism is more like getting AIDS. Some people may take the risk and say "I won't get it" and choose to have unsafe sex. so there is some choice in getting AIDS through sex. But once you have it, it doesn't really matter "how" you got it, does it?

The first time I drank, I blacked out. I know today I was an "instant alcoholic" just waiting for someone to add alcohol. I don't feel cheated or upset than I'm an alcoholic. I'm actually very grateful. It's like being a cancer survivor. I came very close to dying and didn't care if I did.

Now there aren't enough hours in a day!

My dad is a recovering alcoholic. He has been sober 18 years. If he takes one drink it will all be like he never quit. There is no cure. I have never takin a drink of alcohol because I think alcoholism ,if not heredity is atleast a learned way of dealing with problems.(I am 34.)

so now nick's being spun into a victim? lol

this is great

I met a guy at my doctors office that was addicted to percs and was taking 100 per day, his wife was also addicted and was taking 30 per day. Yes, you can build a tolerance to a high amount and not die. The doctor confirmed their story.
I also had a close friend that went into rehab, she was taking in excess of 30 percs per day, no problem, I worked with her for years and never knew.
Glad to say, her treatment was succesful and she no longer takes drugs.

That people take huge amounts is well-known.

What I have trouble understanding is how they function mentally.

Maybe you get used to that too. I don't feel directly impaired when I get high from them so much as I feel distracted. Maybe one can block that out.

so now nick's being spun into a victim? lol

this is great

No "spin" brother.

There are 2 issues here. First, he was caught with painkillers (oxycontin) without a prescription. For that, he is responsible and not a victim.

The second issue is, "if" he is addicted to them, that's not his fault. Yes, that would make him a victim of the disease of addiction. Which means that he has an illness and needs help.

If your mom got addicted to a prescription drug, would you say "Now mom, don't give me that crap about being a victim" or would you do all you could to help her. If your mother is no longer with you, use another family member.

Last edited:
1.) I didn't give my opinion about addiction, I simply noted that predisposition is not a disease
2.) The government is not uniform about classifying addiction as a disease
3.) I was merely pointing out that the AMA claiming addiction is a disease does not somehow make it a universal holding in this country. The AMA has held the position that alcohol is a disease for only about 50 years, or less than 1/3 of its existence, despite the notion having been around since the 1700's, and AA had been lobbying for that classification well before the AMA classified it as such.
4.) An important reason behind the classification of addictions as a disease is the ability to get insurance to pay for the 'recovery' .

Dues, your trying to teach an expert on the subject. First off, the "government" holds little weight in the arena of classifying diseases compared to the AMA. How often do we go to the government to have our health diagnosed? Yes, the AMA has been in existence for 150 years so wouldn't you logically conclude that findings in the last 50 years are far more advanced than those of the first 100 years? The fact that alcoholism has been considered a disease for the last 50 years means exactly...nothing. The only thing that DOES matter is that it IS classified as a disease.

It is a fact that once you become an alcoholic, you're one for life. Even if you quit for 50 years, your disease progresses inside you as if you never stopped. So if you start drinking again, you'd be worse off than when you quit 50 years ago. This has been scientifically proven. So how can addiction/alcoholism progress inside someone who quit drinking & taking drugs unless it was a disease? The answer is, it progresses for one reason only...IT IS A DISEASE.

What is incredibly amazing to me is that the fact it is a disease actually bothers some people. Can anyone tell me why? My guess is because some people foolishly take pride in the fact that THEY can control their drinking and like to feel superior to those who can not. FYI...control and will power have NOTHING to do with addiction.

Predisposition is NOT a disease, you are correct. but it is certainly a factual physical condition. Just like other diseases that are hereditary. There is a distinct difference between people who are genetically predisposed and those who are not. What is your point?

It's difficult enought to trust our medical profession these days. But government? Forget about trust there brother.

Just read the information on the link YOU provided. You latest statements actually contradict the statements contained on that site. You can't provide a link to make your stated opinion and then actually contradict the information on that very site.

So which is it Deus? Do you believe all the information on the site you linked or just the parts that you agree with? Since you provided us with this wonderful website, you MUST agree with the following:

Conclusion

There is a general agreement—albeit slim—that at some point, an addict loses the ability to control his urge or desire to use drugs. What happens in the time leading up to this is the debate’s true battleground featuring a complex hive of factors, not all of them easily proven or disproved. The foundation of the medical community is on the scientific method, on research and clinical trials; it can’t rely on anecdotal evidence. br>
Thus if changing the names of government research institutes to reflect addiction as a disease means more resources will be applied towards finding effective treatment options for addicts, it seems like an unimpeachable step in the right direction.

Also from your link;

What is Addiction?

Addiction is not

-A moral issue
-A simple character defect, such as being weak, or selfish, or irresponsible
-A lack of will power

Last edited:
MY GOD... WHAT HAVE I DONE?! :cool:

Dues, your trying to teach an expert on the subject. First off, the "government" holds little weight in the arena of classifying diseases compared to the AMA. How often do we go to the government to have our health diagnosed? Yes, the AMA has been in existence for 150 years so wouldn't you logically conclude that findings in the last 50 years are far more advanced than those of the first 100 years? The fact that alcoholism has been considered a disease for the last 50 years means exactly...nothing. The only thing that DOES matter is that it IS classified as a disease.

Again, I haven't given my opinion on this, just some information I felt you were omitting. However, since you're relying on the AMA classification, it should be noted that the American Psychiatric Association removed homosexuality from its diagnostic list of mental disorders in 1973. Prior to that, obviously, it was considered one. So, did all that matter was that homosexuality was classified as a disorder?

It is a fact that once you become an alcoholic, you're one for life. Even if you quit for 50 years, your disease progresses inside you as if you never stopped. So if you start drinking again, you'd be worse off than when you quit 50 years ago. This has been scientifically proven. So how can addiction/alcoholism progress inside someone who quit drinking & taking drugs unless it was a disease? The answer is, it progresses for one reason only...IT IS A DISEASE.

Again, you are leaving out information:

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/NewsEvents/NewsReleases/Recovery.htm

It's clear that the "one drink and I'm screwed" theory isn't an absolute. The notion that addiction is a disease is just a theory, and it has its detractors as well as supporters.

Last edited:
My dad is a recovering alcoholic. He has been sober 18 years. If he takes one drink it will all be like he never quit. There is no cure. I have never takin a drink of alcohol because I think alcoholism ,if not heredity is atleast a learned way of dealing with problems.(I am 34.)

That qualifies you as an expert. ;)

Again, I haven't given my opinion on this, just some information I felt you were omitting. However, since you're relying on the AMA classification, it should be noted that the American Psychiatric Association removed homosexuality from its diagnostic list of mental disorders in 1973. Prior to that, obviously, it was considered one. So, did all that matter was that homosexuality was classified as a disorder?

Again, you are leaving out information:

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/NewsEvents/NewsReleases/Recovery.htm

It's clear that the "one drink and I'm screwed" theory isn't an absolute. The notion that addiction is a disease is just a theory, and it has its detractors as well as supporters.

Do you always answer questions by posting topics irelevant to the questions I asked you? Did you forget that when someone asks you specific questions on a message board, you are obligated to answer them?

Or do you just reply to someone's question by making your own point?

Your comparison to homosexuality being classified as a disease was just plain stupid. So I won't even go there.

Like I said, it has been scientifically proven that addiction progresses inside the addict even if he abstains for 20 years.

you can run around 20 different websites and post links, but in the end, you don't know anything about addiction.

I'll just leave it at that.

You never answered whether you agree with the following facts from you posted link. So please answer it now

Conclusion

There is a general agreement—albeit slim—that at some point, an addict loses the ability to control his urge or desire to use drugs. What happens in the time leading up to this is the debate’s true battleground featuring a complex hive of factors, not all of them easily proven or disproved. The foundation of the medical community is on the scientific method, on research and clinical trials; it can’t rely on anecdotal evidence. br>
Thus if changing the names of government research institutes to reflect addiction as a disease means more resources will be applied towards finding effective treatment options for addicts, it seems like an unimpeachable step in the right direction.

Also from your link;

What is Addiction?

Addiction is not

-A moral issue
-A simple character defect, such as being weak, or selfish, or irresponsible
-A lack of will power

If there is one good thing that came out of this whole mess it's that jcdavey finally got banned. :rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

Do you always answer questions by posting topics irelevant to the questions I asked you? Did you forget that when someone asks you specific questions on a message board, you are obligated to answer them?

Or do you just reply to someone's question by making your own point?

Your comparison to homosexuality being classified as a disease was just plain stupid. So I won't even go there.

Like I said, it has been scientifically proven that addiction progresses inside the addict even if he abstains for 20 years.

you can run around 20 different websites and post links, but in the end, you don't know anything about addiction.

I'll just leave it at that.

You never answered whether you agree with the following facts from you posted link. So please answer it now

What part of "I didn't give my opinion on addiction" are you struggling with? I'm not going to argue the merits with you, because we don't know the details of this incident, so discussing addiction in the grand scheme doesn't really resolve the issue. I was giving out information that you were not, nothing more.

As for the comparison to homosexuality, of course you'd say that was stupid, since it runs counter to your argument. The reality, whether you care to admit it or not, is that classification by a group is not proof that the classification is correct.

Last edited:
If there is one good thing that came out of this whole mess it's that jcdavey finally got banned. :rocker::rocker:

Yeah, I don't get that. Someone must have Kaczur'd him out to the moderators about something else. Who would do that? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I don't get that. Someone must have Kaczur'd him out to the moderators about something else. Who would do that? :rolleyes:

JC is a good message board guy. I've known him going back a couple of years after spending some time on the Chargers board.

What did he say that got him banned?

JC is a good message board guy. I've known him going back a couple of years after spending some time on the Chargers board.

He's a Chargers fan. He didn't need to say anything. :cool:

Still figuring that out, but Kontra makes a good point.

He definitely wasn't acting the way he used to. You can pull up his posts by clicking on his name and see the difference.

He definitely wasn't acting the way he used to. You can pull up his posts by clicking on his name and see the difference.

Well, I have to say that the Chargers board is the quickest to ban visitors as any I've ever visited. If you post something they don't like, a group of them will follow you from thread to thread looking for a reason to get you banned.

What part of "I didn't give my opinion on addiction" are you struggling with? I'm not going to argue the merits with you, because we don't know the details of this incident, so discussing addiction in the grand scheme doesn't really resolve the issue. I was giving out information that you were not, nothing more.

As for the comparison to homosexuality, of course you'd say that was stupid, since it runs counter to your argument. The reality, whether you care to admit it or not, is that classification by a group is not proof that the classification is correct.

I didn't comment on the fact that homosexuality was once listed as an illness because you & I both know that was due to prejudice of the times. It was like listing darker skin color as a disease. Just pure ignorance in my opinion.

And still I wait for you to answer 2 simple basic questions that you continue to ignore. Why is that Deus?

And then you act as if you're providing some sort of public service by offering information you assume I purposely ommitted.

I guess we've beaten this topic to death, huh?:eek:

Still figuring that out, but Kontra makes a good point.

Man, do I LOVE beating the Chargers! One of my favorite teams for us to beat!

I'm sure its already been stated - but to be frank and honest, this has the potential to be much worse than Spygate.

No players knew or were involved in Spygate. Kaczur, purchasing 100 pills every few days has raised the possiblity that not just he but many other players were taking OxyContin, not for the euphoric effect, but for its ability to effectively mask pain for 12 hours at a time.

Is ther a competetive advantage to being able to play pain free every game?

I'd have to say so.

The only "good" news is that if this team had gone 19-0 the validity of that feat would now be questioned by those asking whether playing pain free gave them an advantage in achieving that goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back