PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Ben Watson still pluggin' along

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy is pretty amazing, still going at age 37. He just signed up for a second stint with the Saints. Kind of makes you wonder what might've been had he stayed a Patriot. (Who can ever forget that tackle of Champ Bailey?) Oh, and an interesting little tidbit I didn't know: he scored a 48 (!!!) on his Wonderlic Test coming into the pros -- tied for the third-highest score ever.

Are 170 lb cornerbacks still wrestling the ball away from him in the end zone? Nice guy, guess he's forged a decent career.

He was invisible in The-game-that-shall-not-be-named (Episode I).

That was a miracle game, I was there. The Bills fumbled the kickoff late then allowed the winning touchdown pass. Amazing stuff.

Great game, great television/drama as well. I can't believe it was that long ago, could've swore it was just like three years ago.

He's also a real sharp (Scored a 48/50 on the Wonderlic) and well spoken man. It wouldn't be surprising if he has another long and successful career as an executive after his playing days are over.

I still have my Ben Watson jersey that I got on sale for $10 after the Patriots lost him to the Browns. I wore it in 2010 when my wife and I went to the Pats vs Browns game in Cleveland. Going to that game was our anniversary present to each other. Unfortunately the Pats got stomped when Peyton Hillis decided to play the game of his life just to ruin our day and then fade off to obscurity.

I was there also. This is the first time I ever ran into another Pats fan who was there. I also went to the loss there in 2000 and tail-gated with Browns fans. The amount of hate that they had for Belichick then was off the charts. Winning that game was like a playoff win to them.

The funny thing is, the Browns fans there were great to the Pats fans. The only negative thing I saw came in 2000 when Browns fans at the concession area started to chant "loser" to a Pats fan in line for beers. One Browns fan was kind enough to offer to pay for the beers the Pats fan was buying. When the guy rudely refused, the Browns fan turned to the others, pointed at the guy, shook his head no and started another round of "loser" only louder.

For us who have been with the Pats for a while, the abilities of Francis and Coates always tempered how I feel about what tight ends can do.. .

I agree. Russ Francis was the prequel to Gronk. :)

Great game, great television/drama as well. I can't believe it was that long ago, could've swore it was just like three years ago.

It's just crazy to think of that season altogether and then realize it was nearly a decade ago.

I always liked him for his Wonderlic scores and athletic ability. The idea of having Daniel Graham and Watson as a two headed monster was something we all were probably excited about. It always bothered me how he caught the ball with his body so often... obviously he must be doing something right to stick around all of these years.

His contract negotiation as a rookie was brutal. I remember he held out for a long time because the patriots demanded a ridiculous six-year contract. The idea of a first round player signing a relatively cheap 6-year contract in today’s game seems absolutely unreal and unfair.

His patriots tenure spanned the darkest times of the Brady Era. His first playoff loss, the heartbreak in Indianapolis, the perfect season lost, the ACL injury and missing the playoffs with Cassel, and of course the “I just can’t get these guys to play the way I want” season.
Loved Watson. For the record Watson did sign the 6 year contract. His rookie season was 04 and he won a title so it wasn't the darkest times. Also lots of first rounders signed 6 year contracts back then, some even 7 years

Pizza Paddles

That was a miracle game, I was there. The Bills fumbled the kickoff late then allowed the winning touchdown pass. Amazing stuff.
Elementary, my friend...
benjamin-watson-559d9efeee218318.jpg

patriots650.jpg

I really think he has the potential to be a NFL union president or a winning politician if he so chose.

Very intelligent, well spoken with a star personality and I'm glad he still gets to earn a great salary playing a game for 3 hours a week.

Colvin and Watson injuries always got to me. Wider margin of victory in the Superbowl, perhaps.

I'll always remember him in Brady's return 1st game 09 against the Bills. Down by 2 scores late. Brady hits Watson over the middle for a TD. We recover a fumble and Brady hits Watson again on the the same play. Game over.

We flew up from NC to that game. Started chatting with the lady sitting next to me and turns out it was Watson's mother (we fly from ATL as it's the closest airport of any size). Told her as we were getting ready to get off the plane that I was rooting for Watson to have a big game. He came up huge at the end. So.....you're all welcome.

Last edited:
Pats wore their throwback unis that night.

You notice how Actual showed up the minute the throwback unis were mentioned? :D

Colvin and Watson injuries always got to me. Wider margin of victory in the Superbowl, perhaps.

The only way we win one by a wider margin than 4 is if the game goes to overtime. I don't make the rules...

You notice how Actual showed up the minute the throwback unis were mentioned? :D
Of course, he lurks for things like that. ;) Italian Pat Patriot did, too, by the way. Those two should put on their red jerseys and get together someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back