PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Ongoing

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
He's never coming back here, after the Patriots paid him Right Tackle money, and switched him to left tackle. Screwed him out of millions. You wonder why he didn't try last year, that's why.
Then (if I heard correctly) held him on the bench so he wouldn't get his bonus.

I think that's definitely part of it, and I don't really expect him back. But he's also played decently when not injured and motivated. If the Pats aren't willing to pay for Smith, then finding a way to motivate Trent Brown might be the best option. Um... well, "best" option.

How do we know that the Pats weren't going to offer Smith money. I don't mind that they didn't. He would be an one year rental.

But the fact is the Jets offer Smith a chance to compete this year and Smith offers the Jets a short term rental where their closing with Rodgers. If Rodgers comes back and is the same guy he was before his injury, the Jets could be Super Bowl contenders. Smith might rather be chasing a ring and the Jets were the best chance of all the options he had.

I still can't believe I want him back, but Trent Brown linked to Bengals and Saints:

Even the Patriots beat guys want Trent back:

The only way I would ever sign Brown again is if he got very little money up front and all his money was tied to incentives. This is likely his last contract and I think once he gets it (assuming a large chuck of it is guaranteed), he is going to start to mail it in pretty quickly. The guy has quit on every team he played for.

Although I’m not optimistic we’d land him, a visit doesn’t mean he’ll sign there.

My guess is Williams is going to take a while to sign somewhere. I am not sure he could pass a physical right now.

Wouldn’t DJ Humphries be a better option than Brown?

I get he’s injured, but Brown will inevitably have injuries of his own anyways.

I’m done with Trent Brown. I’ll take Vederian Lowe over his antics any day. At least I think he wants to be there.

I’ll go with a rookie like Christian Jones out of Texas in the 3rd round if he’s there and cross my fingers.

Trent Brown has shown that if he goes to a crappy team his attitude and work ethic will reflect as such. The only one to really get anything great out of him was coach Scar.

Wouldn’t DJ Humphries be a better option than Brown?

I get he’s injured, but Brown will inevitably have injuries of his own anyways.
Injury timeline is a concern with Humphries, but I’d for sure take a flier. But since I said that they won’t do it….So let me try this…Humphries sucks royally, don’t want anything to do with him…there maybe that will work.

The only way I would ever sign Brown again is if he got very little money up front and all his money was tied to incentives. This is likely his last contract and I think once he gets it (assuming a large chuck of it is guaranteed), he is going to start to mail it in pretty quickly. The guy has quit on every team he played for.
He doesn't seem to be motivated by money. Maybe the lack of Bill's Oppression will help, but I doubt it. The guy quit on the other 52 guys. Not a fan.

I’m done with Trent Brown. I’ll take Vederian Lowe over his antics any day. At least I think he wants to be there.

I’ll go with a rookie like Christian Jones out of Texas in the 3rd round if he’s there and cross my fingers.
Brown is 30 years old and was traded away by 2 previous teams because of his attitude and motivational problems. He had one year in his career when he played up to his potential, and that was with Scar and Brady, two of the best ever at what they did. Since then with the Pats he’s been inconsistent in his play, and had an attitude problem last year.

I’m done with him. Grab a solution in the draft. Jacoby can deal with LT rookie growing pains.

Saw rumors that Washington is more likely to trade with Minnesota than NE. That also makes sense for Minnesota as they would get to pick whoever they want besides Caleb. Then it comes down to if they want Maye or Daniels.

I have to imagine that they would want to draft the guy who is more ready to start and gives them a dynamic that they didn’t have with Cousins - Daniels seems like a better fit. But admittedly I am just spitballing there and it is a bit of wishful thinking as I would prefer to have Maye fall to 3.

Either way it would be somewhat nice to have them trade up and give some kind of inclination of who they like so the Pats know what will be available to them and plan accordingly.

Saw a rumor the Patriots are internally discussing Justin Fields and drafting Marvin Harrison Jr at 3.

Out of all these scenarios I prefer the trade down with Min if applicable.
Damn Ryland screwed us so bad with that damn FG

Saw rumors that Washington is more likely to trade with Minnesota than NE. That also makes sense for Minnesota as they would get to pick whoever they want besides Caleb. Then it comes down to if they want Maye or Daniels.

I have to imagine that they would want to draft the guy who is more ready to start and gives them a dynamic that they didn’t have with Cousins - Daniels seems like a better fit. But admittedly I am just spitballing there and it is a bit of wishful thinking as I would prefer to have Maye fall to 3.

Either way it would be somewhat nice to have them trade up and give some kind of inclination of who they like so the Pats know what will be available to them and plan accordingly.
Thinking about it, it’s the same argument for Washington to trade down as New England. They have a veteran bridge QB in Mariotta who is capable of starting while a developmental QB picked at 11 or 23 sits and learns. They spent more in free agency than the Pats did, but still have holes to fill and can use the extra draft picks for that. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Saw a rumor the Patriots are internally discussing Justin Fields and drafting Marvin Harrison Jr at 3.

This rumor - is this an actual scooped story, or just some writer/twitterer speculating?

Edit - after looking, this is all I’ve seen so far, which is just nfl.com speculation.

Last edited:
Trading down from #3 to take a developmental QB at #11 or #23 is utter garbage to me. Whether it's #3, #11 or #23, we're going to end up hitching our wagon to whoever that QB is. Realistically, they aren't going to be able to trade back and land any of Maye/Daniels/McCarthy. That's the buzz. If they truly and genuinely want Nix over any of those guys, then I guess maybe I get it. And I mean truly want them. Like not "Nix+extra picks > the other guys"... just flat out "Nix > the other guys". But even then, trading back to #11 is crazy risky because someone else could move up ahead of you. It wouldn't be crazy if DEN (#12), LV (#13) or NO (#14) drafted a QB at their slots which mean sit wouldn't be crazy if they moved up ahead of us.

Only way I want to trade back is if they evaluate that none of the first round QBs are special enough where you have to take them now. In that case, trade back and build the overall roster vs. just drafting a generic first round QB. If you think any of the options are special though, you have to stay and take them now vs. waiting and addressing in a different draft then fine, trade back. And moving back but still drafting a QB high and hitching the wagon to a QB that you don't like enough to stay at #3 seems dumb.

Stay #3 and take a QB or move back and don't take a QB in the 1st round are the only options I'm ok with. Everything else just feels like a wandering aimlessly without an actual direction. Again though, if they truly love Nix I can budge a little but I find that hard to believe.

If they aren't sold on any of the QBs really being "the guy", I'd rather take a cheap flier on Fields for a year vs. just drafting someone highly (either at #3 or later in the first after a trade back). to say you did.

Trading for Fields because they think he's some gem waiting to shine would be nonsense because he's been terrible so far. But taking a flier on him because none of the other QBs excite them and they'd rather throw him into the mix with Brissett vs. using a high pick on a young QB they aren't enamored with makes sense.

Thinking about it, it’s the same argument for Washington to trade down as New England. They have a veteran bridge QB in Mariotta who is capable of starting while a developmental QB picked at 11 or 23 sits and learns. They spent more in free agency than the Pats did, but still have holes to fill and can use the extra draft picks for that. Will be interesting to see what happens.
Washington would've kept Howell if that was a possibility

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back