PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O'Connell in before Gutierrez...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richter

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Very interesting. I think this is more a vote of confidence for Guts than anything else. Cassel really may not be long for the team.

Not sure personally. I think that if Gutierrez is safe, and the other two aren't, then you want Gut to take snaps because there's a good chance he'll be back up.

Very interesting. I think this is more a vote of confidence for Guts than anything else. Cassel really may not be long for the team.

The 29th won't come fast enough.

Gutierrez didn't practice a few days this week. It's probably injury-related.

Gutierrez didn't practice a few days this week. It's probably injury-related.

Exactly. As I'd said earlier Gutz missed Wednesday. Wed is when they put in the game plan for the O. Miss it. You really can't play much. Mayb a garb time series assuming the injury is gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from the bad pick, O'Connell has looked good tonight. He just looks like a real, live NFL quarterback. And he's even hooking up with Chad Jackson for some catches! Considering how much Jackson is slagged around here, O'Connell must really be something special...

Did anyone listen to Schefter. He said the Pats are high on Gutierrez. He was out several days this week as others have said. He isn't going to get many snaps if any at all.

Assuming they actually do like Gutierrez, they probably won't feature him at all this preseason in order to shuffle him onto the practice squad clandestinely.

With luck, Cassell has taken his last game snap as a patriot.

For the third game, they'll try to get Brady some work, so at least one of the backups will sit.

And by the fourth game, they may know who the backups going into the season are, and be focused on getting them ready and seeing which one's ahead of the other.

Last edited:
Assuming they actually do like Gutierrez, they probably won't feature him at all this preseason in order to shuffle him onto the practice squad clandestinely.

If they like Gutierrez, I'd think they would groom him for #2 unless/until they pick up a vet.

I can't see Cassel making it if needed now that other teams have seen him in action quite a bit. Like throwing a bunny into a lion cage.

Last edited:
hahaha! they're high on a player so they don't play him in preseason so as to sneak him on to the practice squad "clandestinely" . Thats hysterical!!!

Gutierrez will get the bulk of the playing time on Friday if he's healthy. Cassel had his best chance tonight, unfortunately for him.

Regular season QBs: Brady, Gutierrez, O'Connell

I was ready to see Cassell gone last year.

Do you seriously think this? There is no way they do this, not to mention I don't think he would make it to the PS. I don't think TFB is going to play next week, which means the QB who the pats think will be the backup this year will get most of the reps with the #1's. I think that Cassel is gone, Gutz is the #2, and O'Connell is behind him. As long as Gutz gets in practice this week, he gets a good amount of snaps on Friday.

I just remembered a few goofs in here that said in the spring that maybe trading Cassel could get the team a 5th or 6th rounder next year

All I have to say is.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Casell could not get this team a bag of dog manure in trade.

I love how you all ignore the fact that Gutierrez had looked aweful in camp and played very poorly against third stringers last week...

He was sailing throws in practice when he returned. He isn't backing up Brady (and neither is the rookie who made several very poor decisions tonight beyond the pick). And Gutz is eligible for the PS.

Cassel was likely ripe to be vaulted over on the depth chart as Brady did with Huard or Cassel did with Rohan. But there is no sign of that having happened through 5 months of off season and TC and preseason where Cassel has remained consistently the #2.

I love how you all ignore the fact that Gutierrez had looked aweful in camp and played very poorly against third stringers last week...

He was sailing throws in practice when he returned. He isn't backing up Brady (and neither is the rookie who made several very poor decisions tonight beyond the pick). And Gutz is eligible for the PS.

Cassel was likely ripe to be vaulted over on the depth chart as Brady did with Huard or Cassel did with Rohan. But there is no sign of that having happened through 5 months of off season and TC and preseason where Cassel has remained consistently the #2.

While that is true,Cassel had better offseasons the last 2 years (only a little better in 06/07 although he has been nothing special-ever)

What did he throw in the last 2 days in camp and the last 2 preseason games in terms of picks - Like 9 or 10?

Gutierrez is indeed a #3 and no more and O'Connell is way too green - I am expecting 4 QBs on the roster including a veteran backup signed late in desperation at #2,then Gutierrez at #3 - O'Connell at #4 and Cassel to be bagging groceries at the local Price Chopper

Last edited:
I don't see Gutierrez as a #2 this year, nor can I believe O'Connell would make it onto the PS. So my assumption follows from that.

But preseason is half done, so there's plenty of time to see how/if Gutierrez plays, and if he plays better than Cassel.

The rookie looked night and day better than Cassel in last night's game.

Cassel is not fit to be an NFL backup. If the other two are no better in your opinion, then we are really in trouble.

The rookie looked night and day better than Cassel in last night's game.

Cassel is not fit to be an NFL backup. If the other two are no better in your opinion, then we are really in trouble.

The rookie made some glaring rookie mistakes last night trying to make something of nothing. You must have watched an alternate feed. He's being asked to do something very different, work with a limited playbook and if things break down try to make something happen without making costly mistakes. His mistakes were only costly once last night. But that was only because the third string and beyond Bucs D weren't making any plays late either. He is what he is - a prospect to be developed.

Cassel has been limited to working with a patchwork offense and line they didn't want Brady exposed to even if his foot didn't need resting. It's a crappy job but somebody has to do it. That is what being the backup to a durable HOF'er is mostly about. Not needing alternate playbooks for guys who are not at all like Brady. If they were to turn Cassel loose and tell him to just go out there and make something happen, he would look a lot like Gutz and O'Connel. He can run a little. They do not want him to. They don't really want the other two to either... It's something that you should only do in this offense in a game you have to win situation when the alternative is not working. This is preseason. Belichick is not auditioning for the improv. Which is why lots of seemingly flashy (but inconsistent) campers never seem to make the grade even as fans see such promise in them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back