PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O'Callaghan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ichiro

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Went on ProFootballWeekly.com where they have this thing called the Rookie Meter. They have their list of the top ten rookies (Maroney at #2) and a large list of honorable mentions. Its amazing that they don't have O'Callaghan listed anywhere.

I have been very impressed with this guy so far. He's had a few problems with pass protection but his run blocking has been great. On the Pats first TD drive against the Jets, did anyone see the pancake he laid on Shaun Ellis?

At first I wanted Kaczur to come back and man the ORT spot but now I'm not so sure. I'll wait for the breakdowns to make a final decision, but I know he's a major upgrade over Ashworth and Gorin.

Last edited:
I told a few people here that O'Callaghan would be the starter once the season began over Kaczur.

No one believed me. No one, and several thought i was crazy to think so.

But i told you so.

SeanBruschi54 said:
I told a few people here that O'Callaghan would be the starter once the season began over Kaczur.

But i told you so.

People thought you were "crazy" to think that? That's just people being silly. I commend you on your foresight, but it was certainly within the realm of possibility, especially once we saw him in T.C.

It seems that a lot of the Pats are flying under the radar right now by the natonal folks, that is ok, I suspect after this three week stretch some of these clowns may be singing a different tune..

I was one of those that did not think O'callaghan was going to start this year. The rap on him was that he was flabby fat (like J Sullivan) and not a super fit bull. However he must have cannons in those legs, because as I posted during TC, once the ball is snapped he will move the person in front of him. No question about that.
I've been very impressed with his ability to sustain blocks.
From a run blocking perspective, he is an upgrade over both Ashworth and Gorin. He needs to improve as a pass blocker in order to equal them in that reagard however.
The only worry I have with him is the health, especailly since Kazcur is still not ready to go.

Who is number 1?

Yeah, it is kinda strange that a guy who has started both games wouldn't even make the Honarable Mentions....

and O'Calaghan wasn't even listed in the unordered "best of the rest."

Just as bizzare is how Ferguson isn't on the Honarable mentions. He has significantly outplayed Addai at this point, and he was the #4 pick! Lineman really don't get enough credit. I expect OL to get ignored when I am talking to your basic football idiot, but not from a site that supposedly sepcializes in sports.

I knew this guy would be an animal, I was pulling for him from the day he was drafted to make the team and be a solid backup. The fact he's starting shows a lot of folks underestimated his ability. Kudos to BB and Dante for grabbing and developing this guy. He was a mid-round steal.

Last edited:
Kdo5 said:
LOL, the Bush love continues. Look he has started off OK but there are a bunch of rookies who have performed better so far.

Bush really hasn't done anything to proclaim himself as the best rookie so far. I don't see how those guys can really justify putting him number 1. If he didn't have the college career and pre draft hype that he had no way would he be #1 with what he's done in the NFL.

Tunescribe said:
I knew this guy would be an animal, I was pulling for him from the day he was drafted to make the team and be a solid backup. The fact he's starting shows a lot of folks underestimated his ability. Kudos to BB and Dante for grabbing and developing this guy. He was a mid-round steal.

Considering both 5th round OLs have gone on to to starting positions within their first couple games, I am going to be watching round 5 a little more closely.

WHile everyone else is going to be flipping out about round one, that's going to be me in round 5. I know whomever NE picks in the first will be pretty good, so I can't get too riled up about it either way, but round 5 has proven pretty cut and dry:

OL - great pick
any other position - waste.

The Pat's ability to pick and coach Oline guys is an underappreciated key to their success. I wonder just how much credit Dante Scharneccia deserves for that. He's definitely the genious behind the coaching. Is he involved with scounting?

Think about the value/pick ratio of these guys
Kaczur, O'Callaghan, Koppen, Neal

The fact you get these guys in the later rounds let's you go after D-line in round 1...

Once you've got your lines, you finally get to the desert: high round, skill position players a la Jackson and Maroney.

... damn, I wish we had Branch too.

(ducks)

GoWesleyan said:
The Pat's ability to pick and coach Oline guys is an underappreciated key to their success. I wonder just how much credit Dante Scharneccia deserves for that. He's definitely the genious behind the coaching. Is he involved with scounting?
All the coaches make scouting trips, Dante personally worked out Mankins in Fresno and I believe he was at Berkley working with O'Callaghan. He also is one of the coaches leading O-line drills at the Combine.

Ochmed, I'm looking forward to seeing how O'Callaghan looks after an off-season program, if he can improve his foot speed...:)

In the Jets game I decided to focus in on him for a couple of series and I was definitely impressed. He was a monster in the running game and blocked his man effiiciently when they passed. I could see him having some trouble with a premier speed rusher, but everything he got his hands on he stoned.

I agree he is already an upgrade over Ashworth and Gorin, and I think its going to be hard for Kazur to get his job back from what little I've seen.

SeanBruschi54 said:

But i told you so.
Except that O'Callaghan is NOT the starter over Kaczur, any more than Chad Jackson is the starter over Deion Branch. The reality is that Kaczur hasn't been on the field for the Patriots this year because of injury, not because he has been beaten fairly. When Kaczur is well and is clearly second string you will have had a point, and that may well happen given the tendency to stay with a guy who is performing well even if he won the spot through injury.

His first game of the season was a little shakey taking on Ryan Denney but week 2 he had a terrific game against Shaun Ellis! As the season progresses this guy will only get better. The Pats may have finally found a legit right tackle, instant upgrade over Gorin and Ashworth.

SeanBruschi54 said:

But i told you so.

Not "no one". Check my posts. I've been a big fan of his.

SeanBruschi54 said:

But i told you so.

You were hardly the only one. Check out this thread:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=39610

But Kaczur sure has his supporters here.

As I said before, I think O'C is much more of what you look for in an RT than Kaczur, who lacks anything like his strength in the running game. Kaczur looked good backing up Light at LT last year, and indeed may even be a somewhat better pass blocker than Light. But as Dr Z observed in his article this week, Light is also an excellent run blocker. We have the makings of an excellent run-blocking oline.

O'C has looked surpisingly good in his pass blocking, showing better agility than many expected out of such a huge guy, and he's already using his huge wingspan very effectively. His pass blocking will only continue to improve. While right now a healthy Kaczur is certainly a better pass blocker than O'C I think it's unlikely Kaczur gets the RT job back.

But it's certainly a nice problem to have.

Last edited:
SeanBruschi54 said:

But i told you so.

I believed the same thing, actually. Saw the video highlights from his college playing career and that was enough for me. I haven't been impressed by Kazcur at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back