PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No huddle offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

CelticPatriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
It worked. Do it more often. I know the rookies aren't great at it and it causes confusion, but that was our best performance on O all season.

I was glad to see us mix a couple of pass places into the NASCAR package instead of just running it all of the time. Exaggeration. But, we do usually just run it.

It worked. Do it more often. I know the rookies aren't great at it and it causes confusion, but that was our best performance on O all season.

See my signature.

I was glad to see us mix a couple of pass places into the NASCAR package instead of just running it all of the time. Exaggeration. But, we do usually just run it.

The "NASCAR" package is a defensive scheme involving 4 DE's, 2 of which replace the traditional DT's on obvious passing downs, the no huddle is just the no huddle/hurry up.

edit: and as far as the play selection, we usually lean heavily towards the pass or towards the run, not a combination, because in most cases when you go hurry up its to take advantage of the defenses personnel on the field, you hurry up when you have a personnel advantage in either the run OR pass game because it prevents them from substituting giving you a decisive advantage.

In todays NFL, most defenses spend the majority of their time in the nickel/dime, so when you catch them off guard with an extra TE, you're gonna want to run it all day against their lighter defense.

The same generally applies to the up-tempo offenses, yeah, they're fast, and get the defense tired, but you usually only start running that temp when you really catch a defensive formation you like.

I thought the no huddle work very well for us yesterday. there were a few play the saints had no clue what do to on beacuse we were going so fast. One question I have is why haven't we been doing this all year? Sence its working I say we stick with it. I don't rember but I don't think there were any huge mistakes well runing the hurry up, did you see any?

I believe it took brady and the recivers some time to be on the same page, if we went no-huddle from the beginning of the season it (i think) would be disastrous. we didnt have any sync on offense and we saw it on basic plays.

Yet im not sure that since we run it up well last night we will continue to do it more often cause it really takes time. while brady is well familliar with this, the rooks arnt and it will take some time.

Obviously a far less powerful version compare to last year due to the new receiving corp, it was encouraging to see the no huddle again. However, i wasn't impress with the offense for most of the second half until the end of the game. Brady was pressured and sacked too many times, Mc Daniel consevative play calling in the red zone and the drops by the receivers were also to blame. This should have been a much more comfortable win. Just like the Falcons, the Saints should never have been able to comeback:mad:.

I hope that there will be no let down next week. If i'm Belichick I'm aggressively pursuing Nicks, this team desperately needs help at wide receiver.I also hope that Mayo and Aqiq return to action soon. Amendola and Rob:bricks:

I thought I heard somewhere that the last time the Patriots ran as many snaps in the no huddle was against Dallas in 2011.

I can't find a way to confirm this, so maybe some of the experts can dig up some stats, but obviously the no huddle was a big part of the offensive gameplan. I wonder if BB sees something on film to indicate that the no huddle may be more effective versus a Rob Ryan defense.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, and they simply wanted the offense to start fast, but I thought it was interesting.

The way I see it is, if our receivers don't know what they are doing, then how can their defense know? :D

Liked what I saw. No amount of huddle time will get Brady and the rookies any more on the same page than they already are. So might as well confuse the opposition as well :D

The "NASCAR" package is a defensive scheme involving 4 DE's, 2 of which replace the traditional DT's on obvious passing downs, the no huddle is just the no huddle/hurry up.

edit: and as far as the play selection, we usually lean heavily towards the pass or towards the run, not a combination, because in most cases when you go hurry up its to take advantage of the defenses personnel on the field, you hurry up when you have a personnel advantage in either the run OR pass game because it prevents them from substituting giving you a decisive advantage.

In todays NFL, most defenses spend the majority of their time in the nickel/dime, so when you catch them off guard with an extra TE, you're gonna want to run it all day against their lighter defense.

The same generally applies to the up-tempo offenses, yeah, they're fast, and get the defense tired, but you usually only start running that temp when you really catch a defensive formation you like.

Don't confuse the terms 'no huddle' with 'hurry up'. You can quickly go up to the line of scrimmage without huddling and just wait out the clock if you want. That prevents defensive substitutions while allowing you to burn clock, and happens a lot at the end of the game when the offense is ahead. The defense can't attempt a sub because the offense is threatening a snap.

Hurry up is a step further and means you're actually snapping it quickly too.

One question I have is why haven't we been doing this all year? Sence its working I say we stick with it.

NFL teams are so sophisticated in breaking down game film and tendencies that you can't be successful doing the same thing 19 games in a row. The things you do in the first four games set up things you can do in the second four games and so forth. The hurry up was probably more successful yesterday because the Saints had NOT seen a lot of it on tape and weren't as well-prepared for it as they might have been.

Don't confuse the terms 'no huddle' with 'hurry up'. You can quickly go up to the line of scrimmage without huddling and just wait out the clock if you want. That prevents defensive substitutions while allowing you to burn clock, and happens a lot at the end of the game when the offense is ahead. The defense can't attempt a sub because the offense is threatening a snap.

Hurry up is a step further and means you're actually snapping it quickly
too.

Excellent clarification. I wasn't aware of this rule wh is certainly important to know.

As to other posters wondering why we haven't used the no huddle till yesterday... well, we have, but too sparingly and almost exclusively, if my memory is correct, in first halves of the two opening games.

Dial It Up vs Jets! Keep their Front line gasping for air, mix it up & run Ridley down their throats. Don't know status of Amendola but I'd say A.Collie gained confidence from coaches & TB. He's a vet been there before. these guys would stay upright we'll be alright.

NFL teams are so sophisticated in breaking down game film and tendencies that you can't be successful doing the same thing 19 games in a row. The things you do in the first four games set up things you can do in the second four games and so forth. The hurry up was probably more successful yesterday because the Saints had NOT seen a lot of it on tape and weren't as well-prepared for it as they might have been.

That is true but I just think we play it to little, we only really use it 2 to 3 games a year. All the other games we slow down and go to are normal play calling. I think it could work if we play hurry up 7 to 8 games a yaer, alll spread out so no team knows what were going to do.

I take it as a sign that the newcomers are rapidly maturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe