PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
or we could have just drafted AJ Brown, DK Metcalf over Harry or Calvin Ridley instead of Sony

I can't blame them for Harry over Metcalf. It's difficult to project these guys, even the teams with a wealth of WRs miss a lot. The difference is they draft more WRs and it looks like success even though their rate is the same.

I liked Cooks but he was relatively significant only bc Jules & Mitchell went out.

At the end his relative insignificance was sealed with a trade away and winning SB with WR group of Dorsett, Hogan and Patterson accompanying Jules..

If the right opportunity (and need) aligns of course BB could add a good or even star receiver - but he's not losing any sleep over it ;)
He'll work with what he has and will “stretch a field“ in different directions :)

As far as someone like OBJ (if he can still actually perform like a real football player) - reasonable opportunity is closer to trade deadline like you suggested..

The strange thing about the Patriots is that they're quite willing to expend picks on receivers in trades but not in the draft.

It's the exact opposite of how Belichick runs his team at other positions, where he prefers having a guy for 4 or 5 years on their rookie contract.

If he’s available, you have to look in on OBJ. WR2s are getting 17M/yr. and his 15M would be a bargain. And none of it is guaranteed. It can be easily restructured if needed. Hate to use a 1st, but the price of WRs is getting ridiculous.

Just go get OBJ

I suspect the issue is price. Belichick understands the need. We used a 1st for Harry. We used a 2nd for Sanu. I suspect this board thinks that we should be able to get OBJ for a 3rd. I think that they are wrong, and least before the bye.
=======
What we seem to not understand is that OBJ would be our #1. This would make all of other WR's better.

I suspect the issue is price. Belichick understands the need. We used a 1st for Harry. We used a 2nd for Sanu. I suspect this board thinks that we should be able to get OBJ for a 3rd. I think that they are wrong, and least before the bye.
=======
What we seem to not understand is that OBJ would be our #1. This would make all of other WR's better.

If the Browns are fine with letting him go I think you could get him for a second with a little bit of garnish on top. That is unless there is a bidding war for him which is always a possibility.

I can't blame them for Harry over Metcalf. It's difficult to project these guys, even the teams with a wealth of WRs miss a lot. The difference is they draft more WRs and it looks like success even though their rate is the same.

unless you’re the Steelers

=======

Give them Harry and a 4th or 5th.

Steelers have the same hit rate as the Patriots.

Steelers draft 4x as many WRs as the Patriots in the first 4 rounds.

they’ve had a pretty good run the last few years in juju,diontae, and Washington. To your point, they do draft a lot more WRs than the pats over the past decade (privilege of having the GOAT) so it’s hard to compare the two due to the lopsided draft counts. Jury is still out on Harry, but outside of him just about every other WR the pats drafted in the past decade was a bust besides Mitchell (who showed flashes before injuries did him in)

they’ve had a pretty good run the last few years in juju,diontae, and Washington. To your point, they do draft a lot more WRs than the pats over the past decade (privilege of having the GOAT) so it’s hard to compare the two due to the lopsided draft counts. Jury is still out on Harry, but outside of him just about every other WR the pats drafted in the past decade was a bust besides Mitchell (who showed flashes before injuries did him in)

Everything you write is true and yet the Patriots drafted so few WRs it's hard to see what they should be doing otherwise (other than drafting more WRs).

20 years first 4 rounds: Branch, Bethel, Chad Jackson, Taylor Price, Tate, Dobson, Boyce, Mitchell, Harry.

3 out of 8 (not counting Harry). That's par for the course.

Give them Harry and a 4th or 5th.

I wouldn't trade Harry just yet. It's too early and he has the potential to be a #1 Red zone threat. That's valuable imo. Let's give him a few more months before tossing him to another team.

If the Browns are fine with letting him go I think you could get him for a second with a little bit of garnish on top. That is unless there is a bidding war for him which is always a possibility.

I would think that the Brown could wait a couple of weeks to see if there is interest. Obviously, a 2nd would be a huge bargain of the patriots.

Hard to call Johnson and Washington hits yet

Nope just hope that they can be on the rise there. You can only wish for Ring 6!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye