PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

National Media: The Pats are now on Par with the Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
What a difference a few weeks makes. I am starting to see the national media now saying that the Broncos are only slightly better than the Pats and they are pretty much on par. Three weeks ago, Brady was done and the Pats were mediocre.

A few examples:

The Denver Broncos and New England Patriots. They get recognized together because when considering either of these teams, it is useful to use the other as a measuring stick. The nearly annual showdown betweenPeyton Manning and Tom Brady is this weekend, but let's be honest -- it feels like a warmup for the AFC Championship Game. When John Elway admitted in March that he was in a free-agency arms race with New England, he was merely stating the obvious: The Broncos andPatriots are the class of the AFC, and a trip to the Super Bowl likely goes through them. Nothing has happened since to change that.

The Broncos look to be the most complete team in the NFL, with a fast, physical defense complementing an offense that might have somehow gotten better by adding Emmanuel Sanders. Their signature win: a 42-17 demolition of the San Francisco 49ers in Week 7. The Patriots, after early stumbles (largely attributable to instability on the offensive line) that had people wondering if Brady was finished -- if, and this has to make you double over in laughter now, it was time to consider moving on to rookie backupJimmy Garoppolo -- have won four in a row. Since a Week 4 shellacking in Kansas City, Brady has completed 100 of 144 attempts for 1,268 yards, 14 touchdowns and zero interceptions, suggesting he is probably not washed up quite yet. Equally encouraging: Rob Gronkowski, the offensive wrecking ball and Brady's most important weapon, is back to full health.

Right now, the Broncos appear slightly -- slightly -- better. Their offense has been operating more smoothly for a tick longer; their defense has made running against it impossible; they have thus far played opponents of a higher caliber (Denver's only loss was in overtime in Seattle). But of the Broncos' nine remaining games, six are on the road, starting with the faceoff in Foxborough. Remember that Denver looked virtually unbeatable heading into this matchup last season, too -- before Bill Belichick forced Peyton Manning to throw into the wind in an overtime triumph for New England. We always learn something from these top-tier matchups, but we probably already can guess what will come out of Sunday's game: more anticipation for the postseason.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...checkin-tom-brady-stands-tall-jets-look-small

Denver (6-1) at New England (6-2), 4:25 p.m. ET (CBS): Not only are we getting Brady-Manning XVI this week, but we're getting Brady-Manning XVI with a chance of snow. The only downside to this game being played in cold weather is that it means from now until Sunday, we're probably going to hear about how Peyton Manning can't play in cold weather, which means we'll likely hear something about how Manning has an 8-11 career record in games where the kickoff temperature is below 40. You won't hear those things from me though, because I don't think they matter, at least not this year. I say Peyton Manning wins in the cold weather because he has a better team. But just a barely better team. Broncos 34-31 over Patriots.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...cks-broncos-over-patriots-texans-upset-eagles

I think the broncos are better , at least on paper. They haven't weathered much storm in terms of injuries or bad games or national criticism and pressure like the pats. Their defense seems to be more complete with a better pass rush and their defense has been more consistent than their offense for 60 mins- they kept them in the game vs seattle.
Pats have been certainly revitalized and the chiefs game was a blessing in disguise for the character of the team. But this is the ultimate test especially their pass rush and safeties. And they can stop the run which we have had issues with all season mostly.
The most funny thing I hear in the media is the same people who killed brady and wondered if he was done now write lines like ' People/critics were ready to write of brady and thought he was finished '

Thank you, Rob0729, for sharing those stories and for putting the concept on the board that these two teams are of equal caliber. I agree, and so does SBNation with the Patriots 3rd in the power ratings behind the Broncos and the Arizona Cardinals: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/10/28/7079209/nfl-power-rankings-week-9-broncos-dominating-cowboys-keep-rolling

If the OL is not a mirage based on the games against the Bills and Bears when the five starters were together as a unit, I think the Patriots' offense can definitely keep pace with the Broncos, especially at home.

Defensively, the Patriots have the best and deepest secondary of any team The Forehead has faced which makes his life much more complicated, especially if the Patriots can get an early lead. The Broncos have great weapons, but that is not an advantage if they're not open consistently. The biggest missing piece in the game is DE Chandler Jones. The Broncos have three DEs on IR and linebacker Danny Travathan is also out, so their front seven isn't intact either.

I don't have any reason to feel this way, but I get the feeling that Brady and Belichick really want this one. The noise about Brady declining and Belichick having the game pass him by seems to have lit a fire under these guys.

This game will have playoff level viewership and intensity. Revis and Gronkowski should be focused. Darrelle Revis hasn't played in a regular season game of this magnitude ever, and Gronk has missed a bunch of 'em. This is the game where Revis can establish his credentials as a Patriot and as the best in the business. He definitely stepped up against Brandon Marshall. Time to take away one of Manning's favorite options, however he is used.

"Pats are done." "Pats are great!" "Cowboys rule!" "Cowboys have serious problems."

The media assume that whatever happened moments ago will continue to happen indefinitely.

I think the broncos are better , at least on paper. They haven't weathered much storm in terms of injuries or bad games or national criticism and pressure like the pats. Their defense seems to be more complete with a better pass rush and their defense has been more consistent than their offense for 60 mins- they kept them in the game vs seattle.
Pats have been certainly revitalized and the chiefs game was a blessing in disguise for the character of the team. But this is the ultimate test especially their pass rush and safeties. And they can stop the run which we have had issues with all season mostly.
The most funny thing I hear in the media is the same people who killed brady and wondered if he was done now write lines like ' People/critics were ready to write of brady and thought he was finished '

In the annual October Manning coronation, mediots simply never ask the right questions

When has Denver proven their receivers can beat physical, press coverage? Why does anyone think they match up with this secondary?

What exactly does that Denver defense have that makes anyone think they can cover two TE's?

It's less about them actually believing that we're on the same page and more about the fact that we play them this week.

Not that it needs to be hyped up, but they are going to do everything they can to make this the best game of the year. It's their job to do so. Brady and Manning.

If we lose to "The Best Team in the NFL" the narrative will change to "well, maybe we were wrong about the Patriots, but man the Broncos are great!" and if we win it will be "Well, I still don't think New England has done enough to put them ahead of Denver, but, they're pretty good!". The Bronco's lost the biggest game of the year 43-8 and yet come offseason almost all media members wanted to rank them ahead of the Seahawks before any moves were even made.

We didn't shoot up 5-7 spots in every power ranking for beating a bad Bears team at home. We shot up to Denver's level because we're playing them. Ratings. First and second ranked AFC teams going at it.

Side note: I do think we're every bit as good, and should even be favored because we're at home. But I do not for a second believe the average mediot believes this. It's all about ratings.

Local media: Had the misfortune of hearing Shank on Gresh & Zo this afternoon for a bit. Shank contends the Pats have played a schedule full of tomato cans and we'll see the "real" Patriots in the next 5 weeks. Shaughnessy contends Buffalo is a joke and Miami is awful, even though Buffalo is in the playoffs as the #6 seed according to nfl.com and will be in the thick of the playoff hunt. They only trail the Pats by 1 game. See, the whole "afc east sucks" thing the local media loves to spout is kind of proven BS for this year, anyway, as both Miami and Buffalo have proven to be at least decent teams.

Why shouldn't the Broncos appear to be better? They've only played two road games. One against Seattle, which they lost, and one against the Jets, which they weren't that impressive in.

It looks good when you're always at home.

Local media: Had the misfortune of hearing Shank on Gresh & Zo this afternoon for a bit. Shank contends the Pats have played a schedule full of tomato cans and we'll see the "real" Patriots in the next 5 weeks. Shaughnessy contends Buffalo is a joke and Miami is awful, even though Buffalo is in the playoffs as the #6 seed according to nfl.com and will be in the thick of the playoff hunt. They only trail the Pats by 1 game. See, the whole "afc east sucks" thing the local media loves to spout is kind of proven BS for this year, anyway, as both Miami and Buffalo have proven to be at least decent teams.

The reality is the Patriots are simply built to match the teams playing the next five weeks.

How does anyone think this team doesn not match up with Green Bay or Indy?

The only thing I take from this is that Brady is clearly done.

Give Manning Brady's weapons and he would throw 80 TD's and at least 4 would be from over 5 yeards.

The Bronco's lost the biggest game of the year 43-8 and yet come offseason almost all media members wanted to rank them ahead of the Seahawks before any moves were even made.

To be fair, those people have been proven correct.

The reality is the Patriots are simply built to match the teams playing the next five weeks.

How does anyone think this team doesn not match up with Green Bay or Indy?
Its just the level of QB play goes up. From Tannehill, Derek Carr to Rodgers,manning ..rivers. Even rodney alluded to the same thing today.

To be fair, those people have been proven correct.

Sure, but at the time it was nonsense. They looked at it as if the most embarassing superbowl loss in history just didn't happen.

Hindsight is 20/20, at the time, they were wrong.

Its just the level of QB play goes up. From Tannehill, Derek Carr to Rodgers,manning ..rivers. Even rodney alluded to the same thing today.

Makes sense..................when have the Patriots displayed an inability to not prevail over Manning, Luck, or Rivers?

Jets at home and South Florida have proven to be historical tough nuts.

Makes sense..................when have the Patriots displayed an inability to not prevail over Manning, Luck, or Rivers?

Jets at home and South Florida have proven to be historical tough nuts.
Well..every year is different. We lost to Alex Smith doesnt mean he owns us either.

Sure, but at the time it was nonsense. They looked at it as if the most embarassing superbowl loss in history just didn't happen.

Hindsight is 20/20, at the time, they were wrong.

I would agree if it was immediately after the SB, but after FA and the draft I have no problem with it. In fact, I appreciate someone offering a counter opinion, assuming it is well articulated, of course. Otherwise, all you can really do is just list the teams in order of standings.

Well..every year is different. We lost to Alex Smith doesnt mean he owns us either.

When did Alex Smith ever play against the Patriots?

In the past years, the Patriots owned San Diego who has owned Indy and Manning who used to own Denver.......who owned the Patriots......................

matchups, matchups, matchups.

When did Alex Smith ever play against the Patriots?

In the past years, the Patriots owned San Diego who has owned Indy and Manning who used to own Denver.......who owned the Patriots......................

matchups, matchups, matchups.
Past years dont matter . Thats what I feel. Its a good story but teams are radically different. We no longer play manning like we did in 2003/2004 or even 2006. Matchups yes - but need the same players to have the same matchups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back