PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mel Mitchell activated from Active/PUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippo59

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
One less PUPer

FOXBOROUGH -- Patriots coach Bill Belichick just held his press conference and announced that safety Mel Mitchell has been activated off the physically unable to perform list.

Mitchell was signed as a free agent prior to the 2006 season. He is a top special teams player, but suffered a season-ending arm injury in training camp last year.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

He's a special teams monster but I don't know how much he brings as a safety if anything.

Last edited:
Re: Mel Mitchell Activated

Here we come Arizona.

Good news.

Can't hurt, it was a disappointment when he got hurt.

One thing I wonder about--why is it that long-injured players so often miss the first week of camp? Isn't that a remarkable coincidence? You'd think that with many months of rehab they'd either be ready for the start of camp or not even close, but every year it seems that a week or so in all these PUP'd players suddenly are ready to go. I don't get it.

He better be able to play Safety because the Pats already have several Special Teams monsters. My recollection is that he has good strong Safety size (220+). Using the Pats "Pair and a Spare" roster philosophy, he's got Sanders ahead of him on the depth chart. That would make his competition Artrell Hawkins I guess. Scott would have been the 3rd string Strong Safety I think.

Last edited:

The sky is rising.

He better be able to play Safety because the Pats already have several Special Teams monsters. My recollection is that he has good strong Safety size (220+). Using the Pats "Pair and a Spare" roster philosophy, he's got Sanders ahead of him on the depth chart. That would make his competition Artrell Hawkins I guess. Scott would have been the 3rd string Strong Safety I think.

6'1" 225 according to NFL.com. He did ok with NO in a reserve role. Mainly in short yardage situations. Special teams demon.

It sounds like people aren't aware that Mel Mitchell is an exceptional special teams player. Close to "Izzo" good.

Can't hurt, it was a disappointment when he got hurt.

One thing I wonder about--why is it that long-injured players so often miss the first week of camp? Isn't that a remarkable coincidence? You'd think that with many months of rehab they'd either be ready for the start of camp or not even close, but every year it seems that a week or so in all these PUP'd players suddenly are ready to go. I don't get it.
I think those coming off of injuries are looked at closely so that IF there is ANY questions that they do not start camp...thus PUP. Why?? you start practicing prematurely and there is no PUP..just IR or a long rehab while on the roster. It takes away the PUP option. It makes much sense to me.

I'm glad to see that he has been activated. We can use all the good STers we can get, and he may take the place of one of the regular players who would otherwise play special teams-which is a good thing.

He's more of a special teamer than a safety...I think if he makes the team it will be for ST play; not positional. There might be "special team monsters" playing now, but he was one of the best STers in the league a few years ago. Will only make competition stronger for spots.

Unless we have massive injuries at safety, I doubt he plays much if at all in the base defense and hardly any in the sub packages. BUT I expect him to be huge on ST. He is really good at tracking down the field.

Lord knows he has had more than enough time to learn the playbook and watch more than enough film. His direct competition for a roster spot , IMO, would be Hawkins. Personally, I would go with the younger Mitchell who would also seem to be somewhat more versatile.

Lord knows he has had more than enough time to learn the playbook and watch more than enough film. His direct competition for a roster spot , IMO, would be Hawkins. Personally, I would go with the younger Mitchell who would also seem to be somewhat more versatile.

That is a tough call. Hawkins has been a solid fill-in at safety for this team, but is limited on STs. The problem is that our secondary is a fragile and Hawkins is a good guy to have there.

That is a tough call. Hawkins has been a solid fill-in at safety for this team, but is limited on STs. The problem is that our secondary is a fragile and Hawkins is a good guy to have there.
Hawkins had 15 ST tackles in 2006 which tied him for first on the team.

Hawkins had 15 ST tackles in 2006 which tied him for first on the team.

Hes a solid tackler on ST, yes. But its doesn't mean hes a ST standout. It that what you meant? IOW, he not "gunner" material I guess is what I'm trying to say. I don't see him blowing up blocks. Nothing against him. I like him on this team. We need him IMO.

Last edited:

I disagree, he may not make the team because of the players in front of him at Safety but there is plenty of room for special teamers. This is my list of players on the 53 man roster that I would be hesitant to use on special teams, escially on coverage units:
  • No brainers - Brady, Cassell (2)
  • Old and may lead to injury - Bruschi, Vrabel, Seau, Colvin, Harrision, Tory James, Troy Brown (6)
  • Too valuable - Moss, Maroney, Hobbs, Thomas, Samuel (5)
  • Too big and/or slow - All the D Line and O Line except Wright (15 or 16)
  • Not much ST experience - Caldwell, Gaffney (2)

Some of them will see time on special teams (BB never asks me). But that is 30~ players who may not contribute very much on special teams. There is certainly room at the end of the roster for some one who is an "ace" special teamer.

Anyway back to the original point of the thread, Mitchell is off the PUP. Big whoop.

I disagree, he may not make the team because of the players in front of him at Safety but there is plenty of room for special teamers. This is my list of players on the 53 man roster that I would be hesitant to use on special teams, escially on coverage units:
  • No brainers - Brady, Cassell (2)
  • Old and may lead to injury - Bruschi, Vrabel, Seau, Colvin, Harrision, Tory James, Troy Brown (6)
  • Too valuable - Moss, Maroney, Hobbs, Thomas, Samuel (5)
  • Too big and/or slow - All the D Line and O Line except Wright (15 or 16)
  • Not much ST experience - Caldwell, Gaffney (2)

Some of them will see time on special teams (BB never asks me). But that is 30~ players who may not contribute very much on special teams. There is certainly room at the end of the roster for some one who is an "ace" special teamer.

Anyway back to the original point of the thread, Mitchell is off the PUP. Big whoop.

Offensive and defensive linemen are used on special teams in field goal and punt formations (ever notice how Seymour is out there blocking field goals?)

Last edited:

Hes a solid tackler on ST, yes. But its doesnt mean hes a ST standout. It that what you meant? IOW, he not "gunner" material I guess is what I'm trying to say. I dont see him blowing up blocks. Nothing against him. I like him on this team. We need him IMO.
I think we're in the language gray zone saying similar things. Izzo is a STs' Ace since that is his primary job. Last season Willie Andrews, Cory Mays, Pierre Woods, and Antwain Spann all joined him in that role. Hawk plays in some subpackages which I think keeps him from being classified as a STs' Ace - but being tied for first in STs' tackles with Gunner Willie Andrews does make him a standout - especially if you consider he had twice the unassisted tackles as Willie, with a FF and a FR to boot.

I'm just happy Mitchell's off PUP and can hopefully improve the competition and make everybody better. I do want to see Hawk find a role on this team and have one more shot at a ring for the way he's played for the team during the stressful 05/06 seasons, but as a fan I'll settle for wishing him well if he's beaten out for a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes