PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

List of owners' meeting rules change actions

Status
Not open for further replies.
"6. Crackback blocks are now prohibited by a backfield player in motion, even if he's not more than two yards outside the tackle box when the ball is snapped."

Does this eliminate the Edelman block on the Superbowl OT touchdown?

Bumping this back up to the top because it is a good question.

Seems like the answer to the above question is yes.

Anybody else here catch this new rule, and its implications?

Sounds as if it would result in flags on a whole lot of quick slants, screens and other short passes - an area the Patriots excel at, by the way - if enforced as written.

"6. Crackback blocks are now prohibited by a backfield player in motion, even if he's not more than two yards outside the tackle box when the ball is snapped."

Does this eliminate the Edelman block on the Superbowl OT touchdown?
I just checked that play, and Edelman hits Atlanta #34 up in the shoulders. I am not 100% certain, but I believe that this new rule still defines "illegal crackback" as a block below the waist in those situations.

Bumping this back up to the top because it is a good question.

Seems like the answer to the above question is yes.

Anybody else here catch this new rule, and its implications?

Sounds as if it would result in flags on a whole lot of quick slants, screens and other short passes - an area the Patriots excel at, by the way - if enforced as written.
Well it only applies to players that go in motion (by definition you have to be a backfield player to go in motion) so it seems like a minor thing.

It would involve going in motion beyond a defender then coming back inside to hit them.

I'm not following the connection between rules changes #7 and #8. Maybe just unclear wording by the author and there is no connection. Perhaps #8 is aimed at faking an injury to stop the clock, like the Giants did a few years ago?

NFL bans line leaping, approves ejections for head hits

7. Unsportsmanlike penalties will be issued to players who commit multiple fouls during the same down in an effort to manipulate the game clock.

8. Similarly, action to conserve time after the two-minute warning of either half would be considered illegal and would result in a penalty now.​

NFL Looking To Close Cheap Loophole Exploited By Chip Kelly And John Harbaugh

After the Ravens made the headlines for benefiting from committing a penalty while time was running out, it was no surprise that the league would make a rule change. (rule 7).

Of course there is a very easy way around this "fix". All you have to do is have one player commit an egregiously obvious penalty, rather than having multiple players do so.

Of course there is a very easy way around this "fix". All you have to do is have one player commit an egregiously obvious penalty, rather than having multiple players do so.

This is one fix I think they got right. Having just one player hold, no matter how egregiously, can't totally shut down a play the way that holding everybody does.

I'm not following the connection between rules changes #7 and #8. Maybe just unclear wording by the author and there is no connection. Perhaps #8 is aimed at faking an injury to stop the clock, like the Giants did a few years ago?

NFL bans line leaping, approves ejections for head hits

7. Unsportsmanlike penalties will be issued to players who commit multiple fouls during the same down in an effort to manipulate the game clock.

8. Similarly, action to conserve time after the two-minute warning of either half would be considered illegal and would result in a penalty now.​

NFL Looking To Close Cheap Loophole Exploited By Chip Kelly And John Harbaugh

After the Ravens made the headlines for benefiting from committing a penalty while time was running out, it was no surprise that the league would make a rule change. (rule 7).

funny, the nfl.com reporter got #8 wrong. "action(s) to conserve time" were already illegal within 1 minute of the end of the half; they just extended it to the two-minute warning.

discussed here:

Explain Rule change. #8 - Makes actions to conserve time illegal after the two-minute warning

So it looks like they added a rule to prevent loopholes like the one John Harbaugh used at the end of the game against the Bengals. The same John Harbaugh who cried for 2 ****ing years over "deception" being used against the Ravens. The same John Harbaugh who would then run the same ****ing play he cried about for so long in a regular season game against the Ravens.

I wonder if Harbaugh will now admit it was straight up against the rules since the NFL changed it. Or if he'll just ****ing cry and ***** and moan for another 8 years about it.

Well it only applies to players that go in motion (by definition you have to be a backfield player to go in motion) so it seems like a minor thing.

It would involve going in motion beyond a defender then coming back inside to hit them.

That's why I asked - Edelman was in motion on that play; would he be considered a 'backfield' player? He started outside, and was still outside the tackle at the snap, however - maybe that's still OK?

And obviously, any crackback block below the waist is illegal no matter who is doing it.

That's why I asked - Edelman was in motion on that play; would he be considered a 'backfield' player? He started outside, and was still outside the tackle at the snap, however - maybe that's still OK?

And obviously, any crackback block below the waist is illegal no matter who is doing it.
I'm pretty sure the definition of crack back is moving beyond the player (east and west) then coming back inside to block him. I'm not sure above/below waist matters.

I believe he would have to be a "backfield player" to go in motion because the 7 on the line of scrimmage can't go in motion.

I'm pretty sure the definition of crack back is moving beyond the player (east and west) then coming back inside to block him. I'm not sure above/below waist matters.

I believe he would have to be a "backfield player" to go in motion because the 7 on the line of scrimmage can't go in motion.
The end man on the line of scrimmage can go in motion along the line just can't swap sides of the formation. Wonder if that is a loophole.

The end man on the line of scrimmage can go in motion along the line just can't swap sides of the formation. Wonder if that is a loophole.
If he can't swap sides, he can't crack back blocking inside.

Banning leaping over the line to block a FG or XP is stupid, done under the guise of someone might get hurt.. in football someone could get "hurt" during any action.

Thought that was an exciting play that added a dimension to the game..

Rich McKay (Chairman of the Competition Committee) was on Peter King's MMQB podcast yesterday and mentioned that usually they have a week between the introduction of rule proposals and the vote (which makes sense: gives each team some time to analyze the proposed change). This year the way it was scheduled they did not have that time so some proposals (like shortening OT to ten minutes) will have to be revisited next year. The reason I mention this is that the scheduling would appear to be completely free of outside factors so the fact that it happened this way just means the NFL once again doesn't know what they are doing. Goodell FTW!

#clownout

For me, the biggest, most sweeping rule change is the "Blandino Rule"!

This removes the final decision on every replay review from a group with integrity (the Officials) to a group with absolutely no integrity (345 Park Ave.)

To be clear, I have no problem with quick, consistent, central, replay analysis, assuming the on-field ref is part of the process. My problem is with New York, people that HAVE NEVER refereed an NFL game, and the transparency of that decision process.

Does this mean "The Fix Is In?" I guess we'll see. It's not like there's any money involved in the outcome of an NFL game. But I bet that Arnold Rothstein wishes he was still alive.

How did such a simple game become so complicated? I don't understand half the rules anyway. The only thing I understand is if something has somehow benefitted the Patriots in recent years, the rule will be changed.

If he can't swap sides, he can't crack back blocking inside.
Edelman didn't swap sides of the formation just motioned inside. If the WR was to the boundary side they still have around 25 yards to motion between tackle and side line.

To be clear, I have no problem with quick, consistent, central, replay analysis, assuming the on-field ref is part of the process. My problem is with New York, people that HAVE NEVER refereed an NFL game, and the transparency of that decision process.
actually, the head of NFL officiating and the person who oversees the instant replay program is alberto riveron, who was a referee for nine years.

Alberto Riveron named NFL senior director of officiating

Alberto Riveron, a nine-year veteran NFL game official and the league's first Hispanic referee, has been named NFL senior director of officiating.

Riveron will report to Vice President of Officiating Dean Blandino. As the number-two person in the department, Riveron will supervise multiple aspects of the NFL's officiating operations.

Among his responsibilities, Riveron will oversee the NFL Instant Replay Program and assist Blandino in assignment and evaluation of officials, assigning individual officials to crews and crews to games, overseeing the evaluation process of officials and crews, and developing and distributing weekly training videos and other materials to improve accuracy and consistency. Riveron will join Blandino in working closely with the NFL Competition Committee to develop proper on-field officiating practices for rule changes and "points of emphasis".

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft