PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jordan Shipley in the Second round!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which still points to how rare the players whom BB favors for the position are, but how he's also adjusting his acquisition methods to the reality of his offense's tendencies. This is why I'm expecting him to shop for a TE on Day Three, whether it's a speedier, but adequate blocking kid like Quarless, or a slower, but still well-rounded kid like Dray.

I really hope you're proven right in this draft. BB has, historically, acquired a lot of Shrine Game players, either directly through the subsequent draft, or later though free agency.

David Thomas and Stephen Spach, speaking of TEs. But also Kaczur, Koppen, Mankins, Wendell, Welker, Wilhite, Matt Gutierrez, Kevin O'Connell, LeKevin Smith, Guyton, BJGE, Ninkovich, Dan Klecko and a few others from the 2003 thru 2008 games (can't find any Shrine rosters from before 2003). Also, Sebastien Vollmer, Myron Pryor, Darryl Richard and Brian Hoyer from last year's game. Seems like at least a couple of draft picks each year, so this year's roster may hold some clues, especially for O-line guys and QBs, apparently. Other than Welker, BB hasn't picked up any Shrine Game WRs, AFAIK.

I love, love, love Shipley. But he's a slot receiever all the way. And with Welker and Edelman already on the roster we're set with those type of guys.

I love, love, love Shipley. But he's a slot receiever all the way. And with Welker and Edelman already on the roster we're set with those type of guys.

Care to explain why he is "a slot receiver all the way"? Can anybody explain why he can't play anything but the slot?

Care to explain why he is "a slot receiver all the way"? Can anybody explain why he can't play anything but the slot?

According to Wes Bunting from the National Football Post Shipley stuggles to beat press coverage and lacks the explosivness to seperate on the line of scrimmage:

One of the toughest adjustments college receivers have to make when they get to the NFL is learning how to beat press coverage. After watching Jordan Shipley’s performance vs. the physical Oklahoma secondary, it’s clear he still has a long way to go. Shipley was absolutely manhandled off the line by Sooners CB Brian Jackson and struggled to quickly get into his routes and create separation on all levels of the field. Shipley isn’t overly quick or explosive off the snap and lacks the type of strength to consistently fight his way through any kind of bump. There’s no denying his ability to find soft spots in coverage and catch the football when he gets a free release, but to me he looks nothing more than a slot guy in the Brandon Stokley mold at the next level.

Texas wideout Jordan Shipley makes his living in the slot. He displays a real feel for the pass game, does a great job selling his routes and possesses the short-area quickness to win most matchups when he’s given a two-way go. However, as I’ve discussed in the past, Shipley isn’t a physical or shifty athlete off the line and will struggle to beat press coverage when lined up on the outside. But the Texas coaching staff, for the most part, has done a great job hiding him in the slot and keeping him away from opposing defenses’ top cornerbacks.

Last edited:
He is the correct WR pick. Size, hands and moves.
DW Toys

I agree. Decker would be a very good fit for us, as he is an excellent mid-range route runner. Not a fast-twitch or speedster guy, but is solid, has good size, great hands, good route runner, and isn't afraid to get physical/sacrifice his body. Injuries and (lack of top) speed will probably facilitate a drop for him, but I would be happy to get him with our 4th round pick. What round do you all see him going at this point?

According to Wes Bunting from the National Football Post Shipley stuggles to beat press coverage and lacks the explosivness to seperate on the line of scrimmage:

Hmmm. Wonder if Welker could do a little film-room Camp tutoring for Shipley while he's recovering? Gotta guess that Shipley has better top-end speed than Welker if he runs his projected 4.47 forty.

I agree. Decker would be a very good fit for us, as he is an excellent mid-range route runner. Not a fast-twitch or speedster guy, but is solid, has good size, great hands, good route runner, and isn't afraid to get physical/sacrifice his body. Injuries and (lack of top) speed will probably facilitate a drop for him, but I would be happy to get him with our 4th round pick. What round do you all see him going at this point?

Scout.com (FOX) has him going in mid-3rd; CBS Sports has him going in late 3rd.

We don't currently have a 3rd round pick, so unless Decker drops some more or BB takes him in the second round or makes some trade, we're likely to miss him. Might miss Barnes and White, too. They're currently projected to go in the 5th, where we also have no pick, but I suspect they'll rise into the 3rd round by Draft Day anyway if they run their projected 4.55s (or better) at the Combine (Brandon Marshall and Marques Colston both ran 4.55, just for reference).

NFLdraftscout ranks Decker #101, and a 3rd round prospect. GBNreport ranks me him #81. Draftek ranks him #92. And the Huddle Report ranks him #72. So he seems to be generally considered a 3rd round pick right now.

Of note, Drew Boylhart, who does the draft profiles for the Huddle Report and who sometimes goes out on a limb (often with good results), rates Decker as a 1st round prospect:

Eric Decker WR Minnesota

TALENT BOARD
- Round 1

STRENGTHS

Eric is a big, powerful receiver with excellent run after the catch abilities. He runs great routes and is a leader on the field. He understands situational football and knows how to help out his QB when a play breaks down. He is a top receiver because of his strong hands and intelligence. Eric understands the big picture and what the offense is trying to accomplish on each play. He has good speed and gains separation with his quickness. Eric is a #1 WR and I call him Eric (Swine Flu) Decker because he catches everything thrown at him except the swine flu.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

Eric needs to rehab from his untimely injury. If he does and everything is all right, you will be drafting a #1 WR around which to build your passing game.

BOTTOM LINE

As I said before, Eric is a #1 WR -- the kind you build your passing game around and, because of his injury, he will fall in this draft and I suspect be drafted by a team who has made the playoffs. You wonder why the same teams year after year make the playoffs? I'll tell you why...they draft players like Eric while other teams are looking for the flashy 4.3 speed players who are not mature and are not of good character. It really is that simple. Anyone who has watched Eric play can just imagine him on the same field with Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Drew Brees and making an immediate impact. If you had a chance to watch Eric before his injury I know you can understand what I am suggesting. If I were a GM of a team during the draft, I would be hog calling Swine Flu Decker until he came right to my NFL home.

Drew Boylhart 11/09

The reciever I want the most is Golden Tate, he would be an absolute stud in our offense. He's used to running a pro style offense already & has been extremely productive the last 2 years. He would be able to step in & start as our #2 reciever from day 1.

If he's available at the end of the 1st round I hope we pull the trigger & trade up to get him. ( I prefer to use our 1st rounder on an impact player on D if possible )

He is the correct WR pick. Size, hands and moves.
DW Toys

And injured. Suffered a foot injury in November 09 that will keep him from participating in the Combine and possibly his Pro-Day since it was a 6 month MINIMUM for him to be back to 100%. That would be May, after the draft.

Probably will fall into the 4th or 5th round.

I am wondering about Mike Williams from Syracuse. He supposedly has height (6'1 7/8") wight (212) and speed (sub 4.5). Yes, he's coming off academic probation, but he supposedly did so with flying colors..

Also, I know that there is a stigma attached to the name Mike Williams because of the WR from USC and the OT that Buffalo chose a couple years ago. But this guy could be a steal in the 3rd round if he makes the Pats Draft Board.

Last edited:
I am wondering about Mike Williams from Syracuse. He supposedly has height (6'1 7/8") wight (212) and speed (sub 4.5). Yes, he's coming off academic probation, but he supposedly did so with flying colors..

Williams is a really talented receiver, but he quit on his team (took himself off voluntarily). That is a huge red flag ...

Just thought I'd mention that the Colts did pretty well yesterday with 4th and 6th rounder WRs.

Collie and Garcon, I think they had to wait a year, but over the years have seen good WR's get in the league from 3rd round on.

Just thought I'd mention that the Colts did pretty well yesterday with 4th and 6th rounder WRs.

Collie and Garcon, I think they had to wait a year, but over the years have seen good WR's get in the league from 3rd round on.

2100e6_Edelman_01012010.jpg

This is from Scouts inc..
He's a sudden athlete. Shows good burst off the line of scrimmage. Knows how to set up DBs with double moves. Very subtle, crafty route-runner. Displays a very good feel for finding soft spots in zone. Will work back to his QB and understands the importance of sight lines. Doesn't have a lot of experience running intermediate-to-vertical routes. Has room to improve in that area of the route tree.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued by Mardy Gilyard. He will need to get stronger, and has had some drops at the Senior Bowl practices, but is definitely a big play guy. Gilyard, Moss, Edleman and a receiver to be named later would be tough to cover.

I'm intrigued by Mardy Gilyard. He will need to get stronger, and has had some drops at the Senior Bowl practices, but is definitely a big play guy. Gilyard, Moss, Edleman and a receiver to be named later would be tough to cover.

I think Gilyard would be pretty good as well, but considering the players that will be available in free agency I don't know why drafting players is a major factor, there are many other areas we need to upgrade that are a higher priority.

I think Gilyard would be pretty good as well, but considering the players that will be available in free agency I don't know why drafting players is a major factor, there are many other areas we need to upgrade that are a higher priority.
Until Wilfork is franchised and traded I'll be rating WR as the most critical area of the team rebuilding 2010 program. Currently you have a battered #1 WR who may or may not come back healthy and be durable enough for a full season (based on age). You have a 2nd year converted QB who finished the season plugged into the slot who may or may not be up to a 23-24 game season getting hammered inside Welker style. No #3 or 4 WR, and not a lot of depth as this past season demonstrated.

To recap:
-- #1 set, but with injury/durability concerns due to age/mileage.
-- #2 penciled in, but not a lock.
-- #3 open
-- #4 open
-- #5 Special Teams' Captain
-- Three WRs finished the season on IR, one will clearly be starting the season on PUP.
-- One #3 QB who finished the season as a WR.

That's one hurting unit, and after QB the most critical skill element of the current offense. Lest we forget, this is now an offense first team.

Until Wilfork is franchised and traded I'll be rating WR as the most critical area of the team rebuilding 2010 program. Currently you have a battered #1 WR who may or may not come back healthy and be durable enough for a full season (based on age). You have a 2nd year converted QB who finished the season plugged into the slot who may or may not be up to a 23-24 game season getting hammered inside Welker style. No #3 or 4 WR, and not a lot of depth as this past season demonstrated.

To recap:
-- #1 set, but with injury/durability concerns due to age/mileage.
-- #2 penciled in, but not a lock.
-- #3 open
-- #4 open
-- #5 Special Teams' Captain
-- Three WRs finished the season on IR, one will clearly be starting the season on PUP.
-- One #3 QB who finished the season as a WR.

That's one hurting unit, and after QB the most critical skill element of the current offense. Lest we forget, this is now an offense first team.

Assuming we can get them and they can be had for reasonable money I'd sign Kevin Walter as #3, Domenik Hixon as #4, and Kassim Osgood as #5. I also would like to replace one of our running backs and pick up Leon Washington.

I like Golden Tate and might be up for him if available in the 2nd round.

That being said I'm amazed at how the Colts can take no name guys like Collie and Garcon and plug them into an offense that can assimilate them without missing a beat. They're doing something right, either it's drafting, coaching or a mix of both.

Assuming we can get them and they can be had for reasonable money I'd sign Kevin Walter as #3, Domenik Hixon as #4, and Kassim Osgood as #5. I also would like to replace one of our running backs and pick up Leon Washington.

I like Golden Tate and might be up for him if available in the 2nd round.

That being said I'm amazed at how the Colts can take no name guys like Collie and Garcon and plug them into an offense that can assimilate them without missing a beat. They're doing something right, either it's drafting, coaching or a mix of both.
Well, our WR coach was a first year coach for WR at this level.

I like your Free Agent offerings better than some I've seen, Osgood doesn't strike me as an upgrade to Aiken whom the Pats have signed to 2012. I'd still prefer a 2/3d round draft pick, one more on day three, and another as a UDFA - folks are yowling about Chad Jackson, but they forget BB also drafted Deion Branch, David Givens, Brandon Tate, and Julian Edelman. I list Tate because in very limited play he looked like a fit - in my mind BB hit the mark with both Tate and Edelman, and I believe this WR class is a good one to duplicate that effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore