PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Achilles the new ACL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not convinced that Achilles' recovery has caught up to ACL yet. ACL's take time to recover from, but it's pretty clear that players can recover from them and play at a Pro Bowl level. Achilles' isn't so clear.

And there just isn't any existence proof for a 325-350# 32 year old guy with a family history of severe diabetes coming back from this kind of injury.

There's a link between a family history of diabetes and the achilles tendon?

PHILADELPHIA --
Jason Peters, who has returned to Pro Bowl form after two devastating Achilles injuries, agreed to a five-year, $51.3 million contract with the Eagles on Wednesday.

Peters, 32, was entering the final year of a contract that would have paid him $10 million in salary and bonuses for 2014. The new deal adds four years and $41.3 million, including $19.55 million in guaranteed money, Peters' agent told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
Jason Peters, Philadelphia Eagles agree to $51.3 million contract - ESPN

There's a link between a family history of diabetes and the achilles tendon?

No. There's a link between diabetes and wound healing. Diabetes impairs the micro-circulation; severe diabetes results in end organ dysfunction (renal failure, peripheral vascular disease). Both Wilfork's parents had severe diabetes; his father died at age 48 of renal failure, and his mother died at age 46 of cerebrovascular disease. I would assume that genetically Wilfork has some susceptibility, and probably not the greatest wound healing genetics. Poorer circulation can render one susceptible to injury, and it can affect the ability to heal from injuries. Speaking as a physician, this kind of history is taken very seriously.

I was shocked by that contract, and will be very surprised if Peters sees the end of it. However, one big difference is that Peters already had a full season back under his belt, playing at a high level.

Well, people keep saying, as if it's a fact, that players of that size are less likely to come back and perform well. Of course there's a small sample size, but that's certainly an example.

I haven't spoken with a doctor about this, but in everything I read, the big problem with these injuries is the lack of flexibility for skill position players. I have not read that players of any size are having problems with their tendons re-rupturing, so it's possible that players in the trenches might have less trouble with the lack of flexibility than skill position players playing on a healed injury.

Wilfork is either going to play with a restructure of some kind, or not play and just have a dead money hit and a hole in the DL. I'm all for getting more big and talented enough DL for the future if we can do it.

No. There's a link between diabetes and wound healing. Diabetes impairs the micro-circulation; severe diabetes results in end organ dysfunction (renal failure, peripheral vascular disease). Both Wilfork's parents had severe diabetes; his father died at age 48 of renal failure, and his mother died at age 46 of cerebrovascular disease. I would assume that genetically Wilfork has some susceptibility, and probably not the greatest wound healing genetics. Poorer circulation can render one susceptible to injury, and it can affect the ability to heal from injuries. Speaking as a physician, this kind of history is taken very seriously.

He hasn't been diagnosed with diabetes, has he?

BB actually broke his own rule by allowing VW to travel with the team while on IR. Says a lot. ACL surgery has changed dramatically in just a couple of years - they've got all kinds of better techniques, I don't think it's unrealistic to believe the same might be true of the Achilles.

And we're seeing it. Suggs, Grimes, Peters, Thomas - they all came back powered up.

BB actually broke his own rule by allowing VW to travel with the team while on IR. Says a lot. ACL surgery has changed dramatically in just a couple of years - they've got all kinds of better techniques, I don't think it's unrealistic to believe the same might be true of the Achilles.

And we're seeing it. Suggs, Grimes, Peters, Thomas - they all came back powered up.

Well, unless these things are rupturing again, and I haven't seen anything like that, the issue would be how does it affect the quality of performance.

All I've ever read is it can negatively affect skill players, and I think a pass rusher like Suggs would be similar. If that's true, players in the trenches who aren't trying to run and cut at full speed, would be least affected.

That's only supposition, of course.

It is serious, which is why I'm sure the pats team doctors would do routine blood work and vital signs to rule out diabetes or vascular issue. If Wilfork has diabetes, the pats would know and he would have been cut already due to what you already explained above.

It is serious, which is why I'm sure the pats team doctors would do routine blood work and vital signs to rule out diabetes or vascular issue. If Wilfork has diabetes, the pats would know and he would have been cut already due to what you already explained above.

I'm sure Wilfork is being monitored for signs of diabetes. That wasn't my point. His strong family history raises suspicions that his wound healing genetics aren't very good. You can't test for that, currently.

Again, I'll be thrilled to be proven wrong and see Wilfork come back to his old self in 2014. Thrilled. But I'm not very sanguine about it.

I'm sure Wilfork is being monitored for signs of diabetes. That wasn't my point. His strong family history raises suspicions that his wound healing genetics aren't very good. You can't test for that, currently.

Again, I'll be thrilled to be proven wrong and see Wilfork come back to his old self in 2014. Thrilled. But I'm not very sanguine about it.

I think we're all on the same page.

Either way - even if he hadn't gotten hurt - they need to restructure the guy.

Kobe didn't come back really well from that surgery, did he?

Kobe didn't come back really well from that surgery, did he?

Kobe went to Germany for work on his knee (and ankle?) after his surgery. He's got more issues than just the Achilles.

And the type of constant darting movement basketball requires is brutal on these types of injuries. I don't think you can compare it.

Bryant is also 35...and Jerry West is saying he'll be right back on track next year. The Lakers are a mess and playing for lottery tickets at this point. I wouldn't count Bryant out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
Back