PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the 'endgame' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
First thing I noticed at the start of this game when I looked at the inactives was the Pats had 3 starters Hogan, KVN, and Branch) and 2 key rotational (White and Burkhead) players on the list, while the Bills were relatively healthy with only EJ Gaines being out.

While the Pats have been "relatively" healthy as far as IR injuries have gone, they have had a LOT of starters who have missed games this season. When your front 7 is made up of primarily back ups and other people's rejects, it starts to make you think that the best team and the healthiest team at the end of the season is often the same team....and that kind of a shame.

But on a brighter note, nothing that was negatively overt on the injury front seemed to pop up and it is likely that the walking wounded like KVN, Hogan, Branch, etc will have up to 3 full weeks to get healthy before the Pats take the field for their first playoff game.

1. General thoughts:

a. Well, the endgame is upon us and tonight we know that we WILL have another bye ahead, and that means endless threads about who should play/sit or how many snaps they should get against the Jets. I will assiduously avoid most of those threads. I'm of the mindset that those who are healthy should play, and since the game still has meaning in the seeding, that means EVERYONE. There are simply not enough players on the game day roster to play all back ups. And how do you tell player A that he is not important enough to get held out, but some other guy was.

b. 2 other quick points. One, is that the players ENJOY playing the games. It is not a burden....and its fun. The 2nd is that you don't want to step onto the field against a quality opponent and have your skill key players a bit rusty after sitting for 2 weeks.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing Gronk, Brady, and Lewis' snap count get cut next week. Lewis broke out the big boy pants with 29 touches today. We were all happy with the results, but I'd be just as happy if his touches next week were back to the 15 area. When we get the playoffs he can put on his big boy pants again. ;)

c. Regardless of the results. Watching the Bills play this week, it was obvious that they were a more disciplined and organized team that what we've been used to over the last decade. I think McDermont is building a nice program there for the long term.

d. That being said, this game was a great exemplar of why the Bills level of frustration with Tyrod Taylor grows. He DID throw for over 280 yds. No picks or TO's. And he made some great throws, especially to Benjamin and Thomas. BUT he also made some real headscratchers as well. His level of inconsistency is high enough that the Bills are going to need a better QB if they want to take it to the next level. The good news is that I think Taylor is good enough to keep the Bills competitive until that guy is found.

e. Watching Malcom Brown play on the C today made think that the Pats might be going back to some version of 3-4 next season. Brown looked good today over the C. Valentine is an archetype of a NT, and Guy is a perfect 3-4 DE (which he played with the Ravens). Now here's my dream scenario. When the Jets cut Wilkerson, the Pats find a way to sign him. If he's motivated, we have seen that he can dominate at that 3-4 DE both in the run AND pass game. Rotating a DL of Wilkerson, Guy, VV, and MBrown would be a VERY strong group, especially in the first 2 downs. Just thinking.

f. Riveron was one for two today, imho. He got the 4th and one right on the Lewis "reach". But the pass to Benjamin SHOULD have been a catch. Now I understand WHY he overturned it. It was all about WHEN he determined he had control over the ball. I get it, BUT in this case, I think you have to go back to the concept of, "you need clear evidence" to overturn a call on the field. Sorry but in THIS case there wasn't clear evidence

g. I found it interesting if not ironic that when Charles Clay didn't "survive the ground" there wasn't a single eyebrow raised when they called the ball inconplete. NOW that everyone knows the catch rule better (at least as it pertains to that part of the rule), it was clear Clay hadn't made the catch. It makes me think that the whole tuck rule saga could have been avoided if the announcers in particular and football fans in general had had a clear understanding of what the tuck rule was and how it had been enforced during the year. Knowledge IS power.

h. I found it interesting that the Bills almost refused to run the ball back on the many KO's the Pats made. Gotkowski had a few that were only one yd deep into the endzone that their returner refused to take out. That was smart thinking by the Bills since the ONLY time they did take it out, they only got back to the 18.

i. If you were on the Bills coaching staff and went through you checklist after the first quarter it would have been a happy time. Get a 3 and out to start the game - check. Have an 8 minute scoring drive to keep Brady off the field - check - Don't let them score in the red zone - check Get a defensive TO and score - check and check. :eek:

It was a Bills fan's dream and a Pats fan's nightmare, and only goes to show just how what happens early is not what ends up late

2. Offense -

a .No Hogan, White, Edelman, Burkhead, no problem - They put up 37 points with no short fields, and overcoming a pick 6. Plus, when it mattered they scored on 5 consecutive possessions, almost all of them in the 2nd half. So I can safely say that the offense had a very nice day, especially when Brady threw for just 224 yds . Nice that that mediocre passing attack was balanced by almost 200 rushing yds.

b. Romo noticed right away that the Bills had inserted a small line up to defend the Pats passing game, and that the Pats immediately attacked that personnel group with the run. Josh has been very patient slowly putting together a more and more effective run game for the Pats. It wasn't just Lewis that shredded the Bills D, Gillislee and Boldin also averaged more than 4.5ypc. As a group they averaged 5.1

c. Normally I would complain that Josh isn't doing enough to free up our WR's against tight man coverage by using bunch formations, motions or pick routes. But given how the offense has been able to move the ball, I'm thinking that him not doing more of it just might be by design. We've seen it before where the Pats don't show a lot of stuff before the playoffs (when possible). To that end, I expect a pretty vanilla game plan against the Jets.

d. The screen is BACK!!!!! - Not only one successful screen, but TWO! Playoff teams beware the Pats have rediscovered their screen game. :eek:

e. QB- Brady completed 75% of his pass attempts, yet didn't look sharp today. I mean think about that last statement. It sounds almost like an oxymoron. Has the bar been raise THAT high? When the game ended if you asked me what I thought Brady's completion rate was without looking at the stats it would have been closer to 65% than 75%.

When you think of it, it was really only 4 plays.out of over 60. The pick, of course. The pass behind Gronk. The deep ball to Cooks, and one of the sacks, when he had time to get rid of the ball. Yet there WILL be those who will point out that Brady has now thrown a pick in 5 straight games, and wonder if its a sign of a "decline". :rolleyes:

I read some analysis (I'm thinking Giardi, but I could be wrong) who want to blame Britt for the pick, but that CLEARLY wasn't the case. Brady obviously didn't see the safety jump the route on the inside. The Bills did a good job of confusing Brady with their well disguised coverages...early. But by the 2nd half, Brady had pretty much solved the mystery and IIRC, the Pats scored on every possession they had the ball in the 2nd half. (except the kneel down one)

f. RB - Not much more to say that what I've already mentioned. Good to see what Lewis can accomplish when he's fully given the job of RB-in-chief. I'm pretty sure the 29 touches is his high as a pro. Nice to know he can do it when it's needed.

Mike Gillislee did well in his few opportunities. He runs real hard, but is not as skilled a RB as I had hoped. But there is always room for a try hard, hard running guy who will usually get you positive yards on this team. Perfect "next up" performance

g. OL - Another very good job done by the OL. Brady was sacked twice, and on at least one he had a had time to get rid of the ball, but more importantly I would be surprised if he was hit more than 4 times all game beyond that. Eventually this week we'll get that stat to see if my "feeling" was correct. Also the OL really took it to the Bills and dominated in the run game. That last TD drive, which I think was all runs, was a wonderful thing to see.

Another excellent job from our #3 RT. Cam Flemming seemed to be very strong on the run and once again was solid in pass protection. After watching Tyron Smith's back up get badly abused in the Cowboys' game, I appreciate more how good our back ups are when we are forced to put them in.

h. Receivers - Of course we really have to see what he does next season, but my thoughts are that Brandin Cooks is NOT going to be some kind of dominate WR that teams have to plan around. He IS though a very good WR, who helps stretch the defense, and usually can be counted on to get behind the defense a couple of times a game.

He seems like a great kid and he really seems to like playing here, so perhaps a middle ground could be found in 2019. He's a great value now, and would be a good value next year if we got a similar performance, but NOT an elite WR.....so far.

They pulled back the Gronk targets. He still got 7 and caught 5. What can you say about the TD catch. It was simply other worldly. He DEFINITELY seems more athletic this season. Dare I say more "pliable" ;)

9 guys caught at least 1 ball from Brady, 2 RB's and 7 receivers, but there wasn't much of an impact made by anyone other than Gronk. Amendola was 2nd with just 3 catches. But it should be noted that Dorsett had a nice 24 yd catch and run early.

i. Bills played a lot more zone than we have seen recently.

3. Defense

a. General thoughts - Given who is playing in that front seven, and how the CB's didn't have their best game today, it is kind of odd that when all was said and done, the defense allowed only 9 points. Like Brady's completion rate, this stat seams to belie what we saw. That somehow it seemed worse than it was. Kind of like the Steeler game.

b. once again it was a tail of 2 halves. Think about this stat. In their first drive, the Bills converted 4 of 5 of their 3rd downs For the game they converted 8 of 17 for a very respectable 47%. But after that agonizing first drive, they converted on only 4 out of 12, and IIRC only one of their last 6. As usual the defense seemed to get better as the game went on.

c. This is NOT ever going to be a so called Dominant Defense. But it IS going to be a very effective one. Currently only 4 teams have a lower ppg average (19.3) Given how badly the year started that number is even more impressive. BTW- do they count the 7 points they got on the pick toward that average?

d. What Matty P has done in recent weeks has been nothing short of outstanding. When Van Noy and Branch get back, the D WILL be better, but it's hard to believe it can be any more "effective".

The example of Matty P at his best today was his CB blitz with Butler that forced a fumble and ended a drive. Great design, perfect execution.

e. Front Seven - 6 Sacks, multiple hits and hurries. Pretty much all the things we have wanted from the front 7 we got. And while Mcoy average 4.3ypc, the Bills as a team only manage 84 yds on the ground and a 3.5 ypc average. Key among the rushing stats was that Taylor's longest run was 6 yds So given that the run game is the strength of the Bills offense, I thought the front 7 did well.

Malcolm Brown's game has definitely elevated over the last few weeks. He was a monster in the middle of that run defense. And when he chased down Taylor for a 15 yd drive killing sack, it was a surprising athletic feat. Upto now Brown has been a "good" first round pick, not a great one. Maybe this will be the time he gets to the next level.

10 tackles and 2.5 sacks are the kind of stats that get you defensive player of the week consideration. I find it hard to believe those were the first sacks of Marquise Flowers 4 year career. Where do we find these scrap heap guys. But the real question is can't he continue it, or will be be a one hit wonder like Lee.

Detreich Wise continues to get pressure and now has a very respectable 5 sacks for the season. That's 5 very workmanlike sacks. No slick moves. No fancy stunts. Every time Wise puts on pressure its because he's grinding away through the defender. You have to love this pick.

Lawrence Guy is someone who should probably get more recognition. If there were ever a "do your job" defensive lineman, it would be him. He's been everything Kony Ealy wasn't.

ERoberts had a more controlled game. With the Bills only rushing the ball 24 times I suspect he didn't get as many snaps as usual. He was OK. 6 tackles and he didn't shoot many gaps to nowhere today. OTOH, David Harris was invisible both on the stat sheet and in my mind. Of course Flowers had his career day to elevate the rest of the LB corps. God we really KVN.

Bottom line - once again the sum of the forcing unit was better than its individual parts.

Seconday -

Again, hard to believe that in the end the Bills' offense only scored 9 points. Gilmore had a tough day against KBenjamin. Just about every time Taylor actually threw a great pass it was to Benjamin, but giving up 5 catches for 76 yds is not what you want to see from your $13MM man....or even your $4MM man. He needs to find a way to play those really big WR's better.

I don't know what he was doing differently with Benjamin than he did with Mike Evans (who is a better receiver), but he should go back and look at that tape. Now it could be that on a couple of those catches underneath, Gilmore might have been in some kind of zone coverage that created space. But there were a couple that was obvious man coverage that Benjamin won. The coverage wasn't horrible, in fact sometimes it was good. Just not good enough.

Our $4MM man didn't fare much better. He had a couple of good plays but his guy had 91 yds, and didn't just win because he was bigger, but because he was open. I am now officially worried about Malcolm Butler. For a guy who is in his contract season, he just isn't having a very good year.

Now this might not mean anything, but Saturday I watch Patriots all Access, and saw something that disturbed me a little. Prior to the Steeler game, when McCourty was ranting to the DB's, I couldn't help notice that Butler seemed to stay a step outside of the group while McCourty was psyching everyone else up, while he seemed almost disinterested, and only finally moved into the group for the break.

I didn't take much notice of it until I saw a run play at Butler early in the game where he simply made a poor effort to make the tackle. Now Butler is normally the best CB tackler we have, and this effort was just so unlike him, I found it jarring. Anyone one else see it. It was a sweep from McCoy that gained about 4-5 yds. Not a big thing in the great scheme of things, but it caught me by surprise nonetheless. Anyone else getting that vibe, that he's just not as into it as in prior season, or he's not as intense?

The Safeties were once again the models of consistency and the backbone of both the 2ndary as well as the defense itself

4. ST's - Kind of an uneventful day for ST's.other than the 3 FG's and extra points. Allen only punted once and that was on the first drive, and all but one of the KO's weren't run back (though when it was, it was stuffed)

5. General league observations

a. Can't help but admire the Jets toughness to stay in almost all their games. This coming week will be their superbowl, so I wouldn't expect anything but their best....at least to start the game.

b. Someone should tell Al Riveron about the concept of not over turning a call that isn't conclusive. Maybe on the 30th replay from the 50th angle there was a frame that "suggested" that Benjamin didn't have control of the ball while inbounds, but THAT isn't conclusive in my mind.

If you can't see something that stands out to you in the first minute, then just STOP and let the play stand as called. Replay was designed to overturn the OBVIOUS calls. The game isn't perfect and replay wasn't designed to make the PERFECT call. It really kills the flow of the game. It's like you never know now if its time to feel elation or not.

c. What a pleasure to see Jerry Jones leaving his box in disgust before the Cowboys game was over, knowing his season was over. The Cowboys gave up only about 150 total yds to Seattle and UNDER 100 passing, yet couldn't put up more than 4 FGs themselves and lost 21-12.

Dak Prescott who had a fairy tale year last season is a good poster boy for just how HARD it is for a QB to be good every single year. Just look at Derek Carr, or even Matt Ryan. Decent is sustainable. Good to great, is much harder.

d. Can't write one of these without the obligatory Jimmy G comment. ;) He's playing well, and certainly has added a level of professionalism to the that Niner team that they desperately needed. But most importantly he has given them hope that they can win every time they step on the field. But DANG, Jimmy, what are you doing with our draft pick. That wasn't part of the bargain with we sent you to SF. ;)

e. The SF/Jags score was just one a several improbable outcomes none more surprising than the Detroit/Cinci game. How can they lose that game to a bad team with nothing to play for. I'll never figure it out. What game this week surprise you the most.

f. Rather than all the talk about THIS week's reversal call, I think I would have rather they just gave the Bills that call, just so it wouldn't be the focal point of the narrative this week. It just takes so much away from my enjoyment of a winning week. Anyone else feel that way?

g. I don't bet football, but as a poker player, I "advise" a lot of guys who do. One of the most popular prop bets is the over/under of Pats wins. This year it was 12.5. So the Pats have to win 13 games to win the bet. It looked like a sure thing in August. It looked like a sure loser at the end of September. And now it looks good again (IF you bet the Pats). Hard to win against the line. No matter how smart you THINK you are, there are a lot of tall buildings out in Vegas that prove that you aren't. ;)

2am again, and I had hoped to be done by one. Putting this one to rest without any editing. It will have to wait until morning. I hope I didn't screw up too much if you are an early reader.
As usual add your own insight, tell me where I am crazy, or discuss an issue....and enjoy. Goodnight/morning

"And how do you tell player A that he is not important enough to get held out, but some other guy was."

Easy. In this scenario you're BB and you say "[name of player] you're out today. [name of other player] you're in".

"I think you have to go back to the concept of, 'you need clear evidence' to overturn a call on the field. Sorry but in THIS case there wasn't clear evidence"

Maybe not to you but the rules say that your opinion of what is clear evidence and what is not doesn't count.

"Rather than all the talk about THIS week's reversal call, I think I would have rather they just gave the Bills that call, just so it wouldn't be the focal point of the narrative this week. It just takes so much away from my enjoyment of a winning week. Anyone else feel that way?"

No. You don't want games officiated by how everyone is going to feel the following week. Follow the rules and make calls based on them, though the skies fall. There's no crying in football.

Last edited:
Meanwhile "cubby" Bertram and Felger are hanging in the parking lot hoping some Pats player will provide an anonymous quote about Guerrero... which is the most important Pats info of all time..

Back to the real world, Jimmy G. wtf putting up 44 on Jacksonville... hope you are rewarded well.

The second half was telling as Buffalo seemed to quit, whether it was from the overturned TD or just falling apart as a team. Sean McDermott has a lot of potential, but almost needs to continue to revamp that team.

Brady seemed to have smelt blood when they gave up, and he played well.

Defensively they were impressive, but still do not understand what is up with Gilmore and Butler, expected much more from both of them.. Marquis Flowers, Trey Flowers and Deitrich Wise all played very well yesterday.. glad to see Trey back in form.

If BB is true to form, pretty sure he will approach next Sunday as just another game.. expect for everyone to play.

Normally I would complain that Josh isn't doing enough to free up our WR's against tight man coverage by using bunch formations, motions or pick routes. But given how the offense has been able to move the ball, I'm thinking that him not doing more of it just might be by design. We've seen it before where the Pats don't show a lot of stuff before the playoffs (when possible). To that end, I expect a pretty vanilla game plan against the Jets.

From what I have been seeing it seems like Josh prefers not giving away whether something is a pass or a run over using specific beater concepts that obviously tell the defense what is coming. And with the screen for the most part being a total debacle until that Lewis TD there really is not much obfuscation you can do out of bunches.

I found it interesting if not ironic that when Charles Clay didn't "survive the ground" there wasn't a single eyebrow raised when they called the ball inconplete. NOW that everyone knows the catch rule better (at least as it pertains to that part of the rule), it was clear Clay hadn't made the catch.

The same thing happened with touchbacks on fumbles into the endzone this year. First the ASJ play was a big controversy but then ended up just being a teaching moment for the majority of fans.

When you think of it, it was really only 4 plays.out of over 60. The pick, of course. The pass behind Gronk. The deep ball to Cooks, and one of the sacks, when he had time to get rid of the ball. Yet there WILL be those who will point out that Brady has now thrown a pick in 5 straight games, and wonder if its a sign of a "decline".

Bingo. I think the thing the actually drives this asinine decline narrative is our increased use of the running game which takes away TDs and yards from Brady which in past years would have maybe gone to Edelman as well as the picks he has thrown in the last month.

I will ignore the White pick @Buffalo because Gronk was just mugged for an eternity on that play.

The two picks @Miami were throws that people often wanted Brady to make so his receivers (in this case Cooks) can make a play. At least Cooks learned from those picks because unlike in Miami in yesterdays game he actually actively searched for contact to get a DPI call or at least prevent an INT on another deep pass.

The pick yesterday the defense just read it and fooled him which happens now and then. Hats off to a good coverage and execution by the Bills.

This brings me to the only INT this year that was really egregious to me and that was the one @Steelers. That one was just a poor and greedy decision that was uncharacteristic and rare for him. Thats why him throwing the ball away instead of forcing it to Gronk yesterday was a positive play for me. Sometimes you gotta accept the loss on a play and move on.

Given who is playing in that front seven, and how the CB's didn't have their best game today, it is kind of odd that when all was said and done, the defense allowed only 9 points. Like Brady's completion rate, this stat seams to belie what we saw. That somehow it seemed worse than it was. Kind of like the Steeler game.

I feel like a lot of people in general and certainly posters here see the first 1-2 drives of a game and this paints the opinion of the offense and defense for the rest of it. At this point we all should know that whatever we see in the first quarter will be not particularly complex or exotic because the coaching staff uses the first 1-2 drives to get an idea what the opponents gameplan is and how to counter act it. Of course you go into a game with a certain assumption but since the other team practices and gameplans too more often than not you have to adjust your own plan based on what you are seeing.

And once those adjustments happened the Bills were dead in the water on offense.

ERoberts had a more controlled game. With the Bills only rushing the ball 24 times I suspect he didn't get as many snaps as usual. He was OK. 6 tackles and he didn't shoot many gaps to nowhere today.

I thought McCoy broke his ankles on that one run in the second half.

Again, hard to believe that in the end the Bills' offense only scored 9 points. Gilmore had a tough day against KBenjamin. Just about every time Taylor actually threw a great pass it was to Benjamin, but giving up 5 catches for 76 yds is not what you want to see from your $13MM man....or even your $4MM man. He needs to find a way to play those really big WR's better.

I don't know what he was doing differently with Benjamin than he did with Mike Evans (who is a better receiver), but he should go back and look at that tape. Now it could be that on a couple of those catches underneath, Gilmore might have been in some kind of zone coverage that created space. But there were a couple that was obvious man coverage that Benjamin won. The coverage wasn't horrible, in fact sometimes it was good. Just not good enough.

Gilmore didnt have a great but also not a bad day. Overall he was as effective on Benjamin as he was on Evans. The only difference is that Benjamin had two outstanding grabs despite great coverage (the TD and then the sideline grab where he somehow managed to stay in bounds) and then got away with 1-2 blatant push offs on comeback routes for third down conversions.

On some level you cant ask more from a CB than being tight on a player in coverage. If a QB like TT who on many throws cant seem to hit a barn can fit 2 throws into tight windows like that and it still requires an amazing catch then it is just another tip of the hat moment.

People get too sidelined by money and contracts instead of looking at matchups. Benjamin used his size and body advantage to make some plays and this will happen. We see it every week with Gronk or Jimmy Graham against pro bowl level players.

Anyone else getting that vibe, that he's just not as into it as in prior season, or he's not as intense?

He was out biggest issue in coverage yesterday getting burned repeatedly by the Bills #3 (or whatever) WR. There are players like HT or DMac that react one way to a contract year and then there are others that react differently to it. He has

4 games left in a Patriots uniform.

Someone should tell Al Riveron about the concept of not over turning a call that isn't conclusive. Maybe on the 30th replay from the 50th angle there was a frame that "suggested" that Benjamin didn't have control of the ball while inbounds, but THAT isn't conclusive in my mind.

Just because CBS kept repeating the same two angles in a loop it doesnt mean that the NFL didnt have a conclusive shot when they lined all angles up. I think the League needs to do a better job communicating the decision to the TV viewers and maybe forwarding the shot they used to overturn a decision on to the broadcasters to show that it really was not disputable.

It just takes so much away from my enjoyment of a winning week. Anyone else feel that way?

Nothing more delicious not only giving the playoff hopes of a division opponent a major blow but also feeding their brains with even more conspiracy theories. Beautiful..

Well, the endgame is upon us and tonight we know that we WILL have another bye ahead, and that means endless threads about who should play/sit or how many snaps they should get against the Jets. I will assiduously avoid most of those threads. I'm of the mindset that those who are healthy should play, and since the game still has meaning in the seeding, that means EVERYONE. There are simply not enough players on the game day roster to play all back ups. And how do you tell player A that he is not important enough to get held out, but some other guy was.

What makes this a bit tricky is that some players like Gronk have incentives on their contracts so we will see what happens. Personally I would play all of them with a slightly more conservative approach (e.g. no seam routes for Gronk). And then start sitting players at the end of the third quarter (or whenever the game is over).

The second half was telling as Buffalo seemed to quit, whether it was from the overturned TD or just falling apart as a team. Sean McDermott has a lot of potential, but almost needs to continue to revamp that team.

I agree. They seemed to act tough and say all the right things but when pressure was applied to them they ended up being the same Bills that didnt have the mental toughness to keep fighting. Their post game locker room antics were pretty telling in that McDermott is nowhere close to changing the culture in that locker room.

To me this team has all the hallmarks of a Championship team.

Even when we have won big, it hasn't been the early game blowout or a series of opponents mistakes - nope, this team out-grinds, out-physicals the other team until they don't have any fight left and then puts them away mercilessly.

What the Patriots coaches have managed to conjure up with the All-Waiver front 7 (exaggeration of course!) has been nothing short of a miracle. Each week a new nameless JAG steps up to the plate and crushes it.

I think people continue to over-react to everything Gilmore related - WR's aren't running free in the last couple of months - he is the victim of some very nice WR play - which of course is the name of the game in an offence oriented league.

Problem with positions like CB is that the difference a good one makes is often intanglible - the QB, not looking his way, the tight coverage that makes the QB move to his next target - what tends to get our attention is INT's and break-ups.

Same with McCourty - who I think has an oddly off color start to the season - I felt he was at the root of a lot of the wild miscommunications and big plays in the first month - but now the back 7 look much more comfortable - especially bearing in mind how much starter level talent they have lost since then.

Some previous incarnations of the Patriots were so dominant at times that when someone punched them in the mouth it rocked them - this unit have pulled themselves off the canvas many times this season already.

I love this Patriots group.

Thanks Ken. A break down of the game divided by categories (offense, defense, special teams) with a separate section of thoughts is refreshing. After watching a tough opponent guided by a good coach I came here for the recap was disappointed. A couple of Bill plays were headscratchers (3rd and short and Tyler throws long/ 3rd and makeable and the Bills run Tolbert instead of McCoy)? The Bills are close, although, I think we would have seen the Pats take it to another level at the end. I think this is the year the Patriots can win the Superbowl as there are no dominant teams and every team has flaws. There is no one (even on IR) who is better at QB then Brady. I look forward to 4 more reviews.

What makes this a bit tricky is that some players like Gronk have incentives on their contracts so we will see what happens. Personally I would play all of them with a slightly more conservative approach (e.g. no seam routes for Gronk). And then start sitting players at the end of the third quarter (or whenever the game is over).
We've also seen that BB likes to reward accomplishments and abilities (see: Flutie drop kick), so he's not going to hold players out to prevent them from reaching incentive targets.

We've also seen that BB likes to reward accomplishments and abilities (see: Flutie drop kick), so he's not going to hold players out to prevent them from reaching incentive targets.

Letting Flutie do a drop kick didn't trigger a big contract incentive. I don't see any reason to believe BB would purposely prevent an incentive from being reached though.

"Rather than all the talk about THIS week's reversal call, I think I would have rather they just gave the Bills that call, just so it wouldn't be the focal point of the narrative this week. It just takes so much away from my enjoyment of a winning week. Anyone else feel that way?"

No. You don't want games officiated by how everyone is going to feel the following week. Follow the rules and make calls based on them, though the skies fall. There's no crying in football.
Considering how Patriots' games would have to be officiated to avoid 'controversy' I can't see how any Patriots' fan could be pro applying the rules to avoid controversy opposed to correctly.

While you're right about how replay is supposed to be, the refs have a "get it into replay" philosophy. Refs have talked about it on TV. Call it a TD so it's automatically reviewed. Call it a turnover so it's automatically reviewed. With that way of thinking, replay should be calling it the way they think not just conclusive evidence or the "get it into replay" thinking, which is real, doesn't work.

To my somewhat untrained and biased eye, Shaq Mason had another outstanding game. He is now our best offensive lineman and it's no longer even close. Shaq is playing at a pro bowl level and I hope he gets a long term deal this off-season.

Gilmore didnt have a great but also not a bad day. Overall he was as effective on Benjamin as he was on Evans. The only difference is that Benjamin had two outstanding grabs despite great coverage (the TD and then the sideline grab where he somehow managed to stay in bounds) and then got away with 1-2 blatant push offs on comeback routes for third down conversions.

On some level you cant ask more from a CB than being tight on a player in coverage. If a QB like TT who on many throws cant seem to hit a barn can fit 2 throws into tight windows like that and it still requires an amazing catch then it is just another tip of the hat moment.

People get too sidelined by money and contracts instead of looking at matchups. Benjamin used his size and body advantage to make some plays and this will happen. We see it every week with Gronk or Jimmy Graham against pro bowl level players.

Exactly. Benjamin is a monster-size receiver that pushes off a lot. And they were playing a lot of single-high safety. With decent QB play a receiver like that who doesn't get called for OPI will make some catches against a corner without safety help.

Other things to like are;
*Pats only had 2 penalties for 10 yards.
*and the defense held the Bills to 0-4 in the Red Zone and 0-2 on goal to go opportunity...
* 3rd down defense was good in second half...
* Brady was throwing to guys who are normally not targeted like Britt, Hollister, Dorsett, Gillislee, Allen.
* Team seems to have gotten out of there relatively injury-free.
* Team had 9 possessions and scored on 7 of them ( 4TD/3 FG) not counting kneel down at end).

f. Riveron was one for two today, imho. He got the 4th and one right on the Lewis "reach". But the pass to Benjamin SHOULD have been a catch. Now I understand WHY he overturned it. It was all about WHEN he determined he had control over the ball. I get it, BUT in this case, I think you have to go back to the concept of, "you need clear evidence" to overturn a call on the field. Sorry but in THIS case there wasn't clear evidence
Yes, it's finally absolutely clear that the "incontrovertible evidence" standard is being ignored, so, why?

a) Professionalism/pride. The refs want to get it right (or, conversely, are terrified of getting it wrong), even if it means picking apart the replay frame by frame like it's the Zapruder Film. They don't care if that means totally destroying the flow of the game and causing fans all around the world to scream vulgarities at their screens while they wait for the outcome. They are the referees. They are responsible for getting the right call, and nothing else. They don't care if they throw out the baby with the bath water. That's not their concern.

b) Revenue. It allows the NFL to put in another ad or two without most of the audience going to take a leak.

c) Controversy. The James non-catch gave the mediots something to talk about all week long. Think of how many more tweets the Benjamin play got now versus if it'd just been a nice catch in the corner of the end zone. Any publicity is good publicity, especially now in the hawt takez narrative driven world

d) The Patriots. According to fan bases such as PIT, despite minor little things like losing a million dollars and first round pick and four games from the greatest player of all time, there is a secret conspiracy at NJFL headquarters to make sure the Patriots get all the calls. Thanks, Al!

g. I found it interesting if not ironic that when Charles Clay didn't "survive the ground" there wasn't a single eyebrow raised when they called the ball inconplete. NOW that everyone knows the catch rule better (at least as it pertains to that part of the rule), it was clear Clay hadn't made the catch. It makes me think that the whole tuck rule saga could have been avoided if the announcers in particular and football fans in general had had a clear understanding of what the tuck rule was and how it had been enforced during the year. Knowledge IS power.

Agreed. In particular the whole James saga would have been less significant if the TV guys had caught on earlier to what was going on. Once Romo in particular did catch on he called it correctly, but for whatever reason that didn't happen till two minutes twenty seconds after the play ended.

To my somewhat untrained and biased eye, Shaq Mason had another outstanding game. He is now our best offensive lineman and it's no longer even close. Shaq is playing at a pro bowl level and I hope he gets a long term deal this off-season.
We have some extensions - or trading a year early - upcoming from that sneaky good 2015 draft. Malcolm Brown, Trey Flowers, Shaq Mason were all in that draft with one year left on their deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back