PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do the Pats come out on Sunday???

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelcometotheRazor

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I see a repeat of the Vikings game...spread out the field to neutralize the Dolts massive nosetackles and strong passrush. this will be a dink and dunk passing game and i see a few draws here and there to mix things up...kevin faulk could see a lot of action on sunday. in addition, the dolts secondary is NOT very strong

i think theres no doubt the pats want to shorten the game, but they won't be able to run inside so short passes for the most part will be the running game.

a quick score is essential to take the fans out of the game (although there sound like there will be a lot of red white a blue in the stands)

sounds like a minnesota game plan to me

I see a repeat of the Vikings game...spread out the field to neutralize the Dolts massive nosetackles and strong passrush. this will be a dink and dunk passing game and i see a few draws here and there to mix things up...kevin faulk could see a lot of action on sunday. in addition, the dolts secondary is NOT very strong

i think theres no doubt the pats want to shorten the game, but they won't be able to run inside so short passes for the most part will be the running game.

a quick score is essential to take the fans out of the game (although there sound like there will be a lot of red white a blue in the stands)

Alot of people seem to favor the shotgun/spread offense agianst the chargers, but I still think that the running game is the best way to beat a great pass rush.

It's never made sense to me to go spread pass-crazy against a team with a great pass rush. That simply invites them to use their strength. Even if you use a quick count and quick drop/short routes, you're still playing to their strength.

Against the Vikings we went split/spread/shotgun because they had a great RUN defense and we were avoiding their strength.

San Diego's passing defense is very good, their run defense is mediocre. I think the best plan is to put one of your strengths (Corey, Kevin, Maroney, et al) against their weakness instead of pounding against their strength.

Not to say that the Patriots shouldn't throw it, they absolutely should. But I think this is a game where the running game could set up the run. And also, the running oriented gameplan would control TOP and keep that high powered offense on the bench.

I think this game is a strange one. You've got an offense that you'd have to gameplan something like the Colts (pointwise, TOPwise, not personellwise), and a defense that you've got to gameplan something like a Pittsburgh, ie heavy on the blitz.

It'll be very interesting to see how the coaches deploy the troops in this one.

Minnesota game plan or not - Comparing the Vikings to the Chargers is ridiculous - You are talking about a team which has one 14 games to a team which was not even at 8-8 this year - If you think we can dominate the game like we did against a 38 year old QB and a team with no solid RB you will be mistaken - If we win this game it HAS to be mistake free and the defense must create turnovers.

Minnesota game plan or not - Comparing the Vikings to the Chargers is ridiculous - You are talking about a team which has one 14 games to a team which was not even at 8-8 this year - If you think we can dominate the game like we did against a 38 year old QB and a team with no solid RB you will be mistaken - If we win this game it HAS to be mistake free and the defense must create turnovers.

No way am I comparing SD to Minn....this was just thrown out there as how to attack from an offensive standpoint...

BUT, their secondary is not that good, IMO, and this will be the best way to neutralize jamal williams, who is overlooked because of roids boy

Play action, Maroney run, draw, screen, dink and dunk, end around, and the occassional statue of liberty -- these and much, much more.

But most of all: take ownership of the LOS. That will decide the outcome more than anything else.

Alot of people seem to favor the shotgun/spread offense agianst the chargers, but I still think that the running game is the best way to beat a great pass rush.

It's never made sense to me to go spread pass-crazy against a team with a great pass rush. That simply invites them to use their strength. Even if you use a quick count and quick drop/short routes, you're still playing to their strength.

Against the Vikings we went split/spread/shotgun because they had a great RUN defense and we were avoiding their strength.

San Diego's passing defense is very good, their run defense is mediocre. I think the best plan is to put one of your strengths (Corey, Kevin, Maroney, et al) against their weakness instead of pounding against their strength.

Not to say that the Patriots shouldn't throw it, they absolutely should. But I think this is a game where the running game could set up the run. And also, the running oriented gameplan would control TOP and keep that high powered offense on the bench.

I think this game is a strange one. You've got an offense that you'd have to gameplan something like the Colts (pointwise, TOPwise, not personellwise), and a defense that you've got to gameplan something like a Pittsburgh, ie heavy on the blitz.

It'll be very interesting to see how the coaches deploy the troops in this one.
I tend NOT to be a fan of the spread formations, especially the shotgun because it gives away what you are going to do. However, the strength of the Chargers is a run-stuffing defensive line with great rushing linebackers. If we have 5 guys going out on patterns, like in a 4 WR, 1 TE formation, they won't be able to blitz all those guys. The front 3 are great run stoppers, but they don't have the speed in getting to the passer that the LBs do.

The key, to me, is not to chose the spread vs. the run, but to properly spell both options. For example, come out in a spread for the first set or two and make the Chargers change their base defense around a little, then in the next set, come out with the dink-and-dunk strategy. The Chargers personnel is too good to beat just doing one thing the whole time. The key will be to mix up EVERYTHING we have done on offense all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe