PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How did you become a Pats fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtugg

Rookie
Reaction score
I must admit that I am from nowhere near New England. I became a Pats fan because of Randy Moss. I was a Randy Moss fan from his rookie year. And then when he became a Patriot, I became a Patriots fan. When they lost that Super Bowl I was very upset. I vaguely remember me throwing a beer glass on the floor of the patio of a Buffalo Wild Wings and getting kicked out.

Anyway, I remained a Pats fan after that. I was very ecstatic when they won the Superbowl two years ago and again this year.

Also, screw Roger Goodell and long live the GOAT.

I jumped on board about a minute into overtime in the last Superbowl. Now I'm a massive Patriots fan. Tom Brady is the GOAT, am I right?

Go Pats!! Wooooo!!

lol

I became a fan of football and the Pats months before the 2004 season. Never cared about football and, in fact, I hated football due to it and baseball delaying Simpsons on Sunday.

Just after the 2003 Super Bowl, I was browsing the DVD section of Barnes And Noble and came across the Super Bowl XXXVIII Championship DVD. I thought what the heck, I'll give it a shot. I bought the DVD thinking it was the entire Super Bowl but it was just highlights of the season and playoffs. Anyway, the music started up and almost instantly I was hooked.

It's really NFL Films that got me into football. The music, editing, and the drama in the DVD for the season really got me into it. I wish I'd become a fan sooner.

Nothing will ever get me to like Baseball, though.

My mother used to play the radio in the morning while she made breakfast. I remember hearing about the Boston Patriots during the sports segment: a lot of talk about Babe Parilli and Gino Capelletti. Later, as a kid, I mostly followed the Packers. Ray Nitzshke was my favorite player. I loved the way he played: usually horizontal, flying through the air like a missile, looking for an opposition head to crack. I didn't follow the AFL that much: seemed like a minor league. Later, when I went to college, the stations in New Hampshire, oddly enough it seemed to me, carried Giants games. I had always kinda despised the Giants (now I know why, of course), so I started following the Pats in the Globe, which I used to read every day (I have evolved, of course, and now despise the Globe more than I ever despised the Giants!). I started to listen to Pats games on the radio, as I still do - I rarely watch them still - and I've been a Pats fan since.

Being in the UK, everyone seemed to be a Giants fan. i never really enjoyed following the crowd for the sake of it.

The Patriots were the worst team in football, but I found it exciting that they had this new number one guy called Bledsoe who would make them better. Couple that with the stereotype that everyone in Boston was Irish, I felt I had a good reason to support them!

Grew up on the North Shore and began following the Pats in Jr. High during the Plunkett years. Became more of a fan when #14 was under center and been one ever since.

I was a young child in the late 70s and I observed my father yelling at the TV each weekend. I was curious to learn why someone would yell at the TV so I started watching games with him. It didn't take long before I, too, was yelling at the TV.

Young Patriots fans today have no idea what it's like to watch your favorite team struggle and underachieve week after week, year after year. In many ways, the pre-Kraft Patriots were a lot like the Jets today, only without the memory of a Super Bowl victory.

My family were more baseball fans growing up, my Grandfather was a huge Yankees Fan and used to take me to the "Stadium", I learned about the NFL from a friends father and became a Browns fan during the 50's....

Stayed a Browns fan until Superbowl I and then realized that the AFL was here to stay, Superbowl III validated my choice, been a Pats fan ever since through the bad and now the good.

I was a young child in the late 70s and I observed my father yelling at the TV each weekend. I was curious to learn why someone would yell at the TV so I started watching games with him. It didn't take long before I, too, was yelling at the TV.

Young Patriots fans today have no idea what it's like to watch your favorite team struggle and underachieve week after week, year after year. In many ways, the pre-Kraft Patriots were a lot like the Jets today, only without the memory of a Super Bowl victory.

It was bleak! You sort of rooted for individual players, because the team as a whole was pretty hopeless. I remember Mack Herron got me through one season all by himself, and to watch Steve Grogan get clobbered from pillar to post then come back for more was a lesson in heroism all by itself.

I became a pats fan by watching the snow game and then more so by watching the superbowl with the rams. I grew up in Oklahoma and there is no state team there ergo, i felt like i could chose a team to root for from where ever i wanted and get away with it because i was damned of i were rooting for a friggen texas team..no way... So, after witnessing really freaky stuff the pats would pull off..m i couldnt help but like them... Honestly, i dont understand why everyone on earth is not a pats fan... Its mind boggling.

The way i see it, people should just stop rooting for their teams from hooterville and start rooting for the pats... Its one of those historic teams like the bulls and celtics... Im here to tell you im old and ive never seen a team like this in football.

I started to listen to Pats games on the radio, as I still do - I rarely watch them still - and I've been a Pats fan since.

Watching is more fun, man. Give it a try.

Anyway, Dad had season tickets...fandom was hard wired into me pretty early on.

When I was growing up, my dad worked all the time, but Sunday the TV was his and he loved any and all sports. I decided to watch with him and must have driven him nuts with all my questions. ( He's now 83 and we still talk after every game). We were stuck with the Giants early on, but in the 70s they finally started showing the Patriots on a regular basis. I went away from watching during my college years and while my kids were young , but in the late 90s sat down one Sunday and have been watching ever since. The last 20 years have been incredible compared to when I first watched the Patriots. I used to be happy with a win-any win. Now, I expect wins and am surprised when we lose. Thank goodness Belichick signed that napkin and resigned from the Jets. And thank goodness Rehbein saw greatness in that 199th pick and 31 other teams did not.

Born in NE and began old enough to really follow in the late 90s. Wasn't a fan of the **** pic sending, affair seeking, recipient of Madden's knob bobbing, golden boy, that was Brett Favre...who so many kids my age admired at the time. So I rode with the Patriots.

Parcells and Dave Meggett

Probably not relevant, but I said above I had always depised the Giants, and I think there was an exception to that. I remember seeing a photo - or did I actually see it on tv? - of Y A Tittle bleeding during a game. As a kid, I thought that was pretty cool. You didn't used to see people bleeding on tv nearly as much as you do now! (That's progress, I suppose.)

Update: found it! (From a game in 1964)

iu

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results