PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good Pre-Order Deal for New Super Bowl 51 Champs Blu Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important note, in this release the blu ray version also comes with a DVD (this was not the case for the 2014 release).

As such, even if you don't have a blu ray player I highly suggest you pay the 3 extra dollars to get the blu ray. You'll be glad you did when you do finally get a blu ray player.

I like DA and LG on the cover.

Important note, in this release the blu ray version also comes with a DVD (this was not the case for the 2014 release).

As such, even if you don't have a blu ray player I highly suggest you pay the 3 extra dollars to get the blu ray. You'll be glad you did when you do finally get a blu ray player.
Anyone who doesn't own a Blu ray player by now probably hasn't even heard of the internet yet anyway

Get betamax noob :D

That's it. I'm breaking out ole Betsy.

6528a5454880591913903b0ecc16a94f.gif

I already ordered mine, I really wish though the extras are better then the SB 49 one. The extras for 39 and 38 were far better with the full game and the half time show.

I already ordered mine, I really wish though the extras are better then the SB 49 one. The extras for 39 and 38 were far better with the full game and the half time show.

Well, SB 38 didn't have the halftime show (and I think you can guess why).

But yes, I'm big into the extras as well. SB 49's extras could have been better. I agree on that. Super Bowl 38 and 39 had the 'world broadcast' of each game in which essentially it was a condensed verison of the game. They had some really good post game features too.

No 4K? No buys.

We don't live in Somalia, therefore we shouldn't have to deal with 1080p (the p stands for peasantry, by the way) any longer, especially since they shot the SB using 4K cameras.

Last edited:
No 4K? No buys.

We don't live in Somalia, therefore we shouldn't have to deal with 1080p (the p stands for peasantry, by the way) any longer, especially since they shot the SB using 4K cameras.

I don't mean to be pedantic nerd, but I worked in the audio video industry for years. Do you happen to sit a foot away from your large screen television while watching? Or do you have a projector with a screen over 120 inches? If the answer is no on both of these, you are fooling yourself if you think you can tell the difference between 4K and 1080p. It is scientifically proven. My 1080p plasma, last edition flagship Samsung, will put these 4K LCDs to shame.

I don't mean to be pedantic nerd, but I worked in the audio video industry for years. Do you happen to sit a foot away from your large screen television while watching? Or do you have a projector with a screen over 120 inches? If the answer is no on both of these, you are fooling yourself if you think you can tell the difference between 4K and 1080p. It is scientifically proven. My 1080p plasma, last edition flagship Samsung, will put these 4K LCDs to shame.

You don't need to sit a foot away. For a 55 inch TV, about 4.6-6.9 feet is the optimal range: TV sizes and viewing distance

I sit about 7 feet away and I can easily see a difference. Also, the high dynamic range and wide color gamut on these new TVs makes as much of an impact, and possibly even more, than the higher resolution.

First, the angular resolution of the human eye is approximately 0.02 degrees, or 0.00035 radians. That means your eye cannot distinguish any angle smaller than that or put another way, any angle that size or smaller will all look like the same angle.

If you are sitting 2 meters from the screen (approx 6ft) that means the smallest meaningful pixel size you can see is:
2m * 0.00035 = 0.0007 m = 0.7mm

If a pixel is smaller than 0.7mm on a side you can't tell the difference between a 0.7mm pixel and a smaller pixel, or, more accurately, your eye will smear together pixels smaller than 0.7mm on a side into a 0.7mm on a side blob.

A 55" 16:9 screen has the dimensions 47.94" wide by 26.96" high.

47.94" wide is 1217.7mm wide

Now for pixels...

1080p = 1920 x 1080
4k = 3840 x 2160

So 1080p pixel on such a screen is 1217.7mm/1920 = 0.63mm
And a 4k pixel will be half that -- 0.32mm

But as noted, the smallest pixel you can see under the stated conditions is 0.7mm which is more than either of those. The optics of the human eye and simple math mean that your eye will smear together and essentially average four 4k pixels into a 1080p pixel. So you won't get any extra resolution or clarity when sitting 6' away from a 55" 4K screen vs a 55" 1080p screen.

First, the angular resolution of the human eye is approximately 0.02 degrees, or 0.00035 radians. That means your eye cannot distinguish any angle smaller than that or put another way, any angle that size or smaller will all look like the same angle.

If you are sitting 2 meters from the screen (approx 6ft) that means the smallest meaningful pixel size you can see is:
2m * 0.00035 = 0.0007 m = 0.7mm

If a pixel is smaller than 0.7mm on a side you can't tell the difference between a 0.7mm pixel and a smaller pixel, or, more accurately, your eye will smear together pixels smaller than 0.7mm on a side into a 0.7mm on a side blob.

A 55" 16:9 screen has the dimensions 47.94" wide by 26.96" high.

47.94" wide is 1217.7mm wide

Now for pixels...

1080p = 1920 x 1080
4k = 3840 x 2160

So 1080p pixel on such a screen is 1217.7mm/1920 = 0.63mm
And a 4k pixel will be half that -- 0.32mm

But as noted, the smallest pixel you can see under the stated conditions is 0.7mm which is more than either of those. The optics of the human eye and simple math mean that your eye will smear together and essentially average four 4k pixels into a 1080p pixel. So you won't get any extra resolution or clarity when sitting 6' away from a 55" 4K screen vs a 55" 1080p screen.

This is factually incorrect, as I already demonstrated with the previous link I posted. Here is another:

tv-size-distance-chart.png

TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science

Anything within 7 feet from a 55 inch TV is enough.

Last edited:
This article has a different viewing chart which is more aligned with what I've observed, but to each their own. You are correct about other factors being more important than resolution, such as refresh rate (not fake ones, like 120 hertz and the soap opera effect), black levels, etc. Unfortunately LCD televisions will never surpass the technology and viewing benefits of the now defunct plasmas. They have inherent problems with dark scenes and refresh speed due to the way they work. OLED, however, is a different beast altogether and may in fact be better than plasma, so there is some hope.

Why Ultra HD 4K TVs are still stupid

We used to have a best-in-class 50" Fujitsu plasma that was a 720p (this was around 2007), and compared to every other television, it was easily the best overall picture on the consumer market (until surpassed by another plasma, the Pioneer Elite Kuro.). Anyway, after being told it was "only" 720p, a lot of customers freaked out and went with a lesser 1080p set, since they suddenly swore they could tell the difference, even though they absolutely could not. The Fujitsu classed every other set in tests where viewers s weren't told the specs. The LCD makers started using incredibly marketing techniques to replace plasmas with a worse technology with better buzzwords and bigger numbers, more pixels, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes