PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Denver Pre-game articles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Wouldn't Bad Jake look great in silver and black?

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/sports_columnists/article/0,1713,BDC_2417_5007301,00.html

There are NFL quarterbacks off to worse starts than Jake Plummer.

Two of them. The numbers don't lie.
-----
If Plummer can't turn things around in Denver — his passer rating is 38.6, but the Broncos still managed to win a game on Sunday — look for the Snake to be wearing silver and black at Invesco Field in 2007.
-----
The Patriots (2-0) are favored by 61/2 points over the Broncos as preparations begin for Sunday night's game at Gillette Stadium. Still, Mike Shanahan has to like his chances if Denver's defense can turn the game into another field goal contest.
-----
"They didn't win the Super Bowl last year, but I think everyone kind of looks to the Patriots as the standard in this league right now," safety John Lynch said. "So it's a great challenge for us to go on the road against a terrific team. And I'm sure they have motivation after what happened, how we ended their season."...

Want to know what the Broncos will be doing in practice this week? Working on their third-down execution.

Through eight quarters and an overtime possession, Plummer and the boys are 8-for-26 (30.8 percent) in that department.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Rich, this article from your Broncos link is an excellent read!
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_4364568

yeah, I should have pointed it out but I've ready many, many articles just like it so I didn't think it was a big deal. On the other hand, I've read too many articles hailing our inevitable demise so there's not much room for original Patriots material from the opponent's media POV.

This game has all the makings of a Denver victory, everyone is talking about how crappy they have played, Jake's poor passer rating, Jay Cutler starting, no running game, to be favored by 6 and a half is way too much, pats should be favored by 2-3, we could get killed this weekend, no joke.

Pats 24
Broncos 31

smacadie said:
This game has all the makings of a Denver victory, everyone is talking about how crappy they have played, Jake's poor passer rating, Jay Cutler starting, no running game, to be favored by 6 and a half is way too much, pats should be favored by 2-3, we could get killed this weekend, no joke.

Pats 24
Broncos 31

I'll agree with the spread being a tad high and I am just astonished how after 2 games Denver managed to waste all the media goodwill from 2005 and the offseason.

However, things are a little different this time around- rather than being able to rebound at home, they are entering a madhouse, playing a team hell-bent on payback on a field not suitable to their style of play.

Denver has had the luxury of being able to circle their big games but they've rarely had their own name circled, and they've been circled for a good 8 months now :)

Everyone, thanks for the pointers in this thread. I would not have found most of this on my own.

richpats said:
Denver has had the luxury of being able to circle their big games but they've rarely had their own name circled, and they've been circled for a good 8 months now :)

Well put. I've been waiting for this game for what seems "forever".

smacadie said:

Pats 24
Broncos 31

I also agree that 6.5 is too much...

I am feeling more like 20-17, Pats...

smacadie said:

Pats 24
Broncos 31

You have the Broncos scoring 31 points against this defense at the Razor on Sunday? Good luck with that one.

You must be counting on a Lazarus-like resurrection from Jake.

Their running game, while adequate, is not that bad. The Broncos still teach their linemen how to chop-block, so anything is possible in that department.

Cutler won't be playing unless Jake gets hurt. You do understand, don't you, what Belichick does to bright, wide-eyed young quarterbacks, don't you?

The spread, BTW, opened at 6½. It is now 7. Just FYI.

Ever stepped on an angry hornet's nest? That's what Denver is about to experience Sunday night.

NE wins easily 27-10. Or maybe 27-13 in a "Buffalo in 2003" like reversal.

They hae been chompin' at the bit all offseason for this one, and the will not let it pass by.

Bighungry71's Seven Keys/Predictions

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=102&p=2&c=570830

While Cutler might be a better functional fit for the Broncos offense, would the veteran players accept his ascension to starting quarterback over locker room favoite Plummer? It's a viewpoint I had not considered until now and it makes me believe, win or lose, the Broncos' wagon is hitched to Plummer for the season. This weeks Keys/Predictions are therefore given from that perspective.
-----
Prediction: Between the Mikes (Shanahan and Heimerdinger), you have two impressive football minds. I can't believe they won't come up with a way to make Plummer more effective this week. Jake's Line - 13 for 23, 221 yards 1 touchdown 1 interception.
-----
Prediction: The streak is over. I don't see the Broncos' defense pitching an end zone shutout this week.
-----
Prediction: No way New England goes after Bailey on Sunday. Darrent Williams will need to be ready because he's going to see the ball come his way early and often. Look for the Broncos to create a couple turnovers on pass defense.
-----
Prediction: While not allowing a touchdown this year the Broncos' defense has not been tackling especially well. Last week Larry Johnson gained well over a hundred yards. Look for the Patriots' backs to stack up 150-200 yards rushing this weekend.
-----
Prediction: Bubble wrap the TV before the game, I'm guessing we will all be throwing stuff by halftime.
-----
Prediction: for the first time in two years I'm going to do it.....I'm picking the good guys to lose. Patriots 28 Broncos 21.

richpats said:
Link to the Broncos' page on DenverPost.com:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos

Is it just me or does anyone else rub their eyes when they see "Broncos AT Patriots"?

I know it's not true, but it feels like we always go to Pittsburgh and Denver, and Indy always comes here.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/football/nfl/cleveland_browns/15567227.htm

But Brady must concentrate on the entire defense, especially when all 11 members move up to the line of scrimmage on a blitz.

"There's a bunch of teams that are doing it now," he said. "We really didn't think the Jets would be doing it, but they did and we handled it well in a few situations.

"I know that's part of Denver's package," Brady added. "Whatever they throw at you, you've got to make sure you handle it because if they bring it and they get you, they're going to keep bringing it."

The Broncos already have hurt the Patriots with that formation. It's the one they lined up in when the Patriots had the ball at the Denver 5-yard line, trailing just 10-6 in the third quarter of last season's playoff game.
-----
"I knew what they were doing" before he threw, Brady said, facing another question about that play. "I rolled to the right and I was trying to throw it over his head. I just didn't get enough on it and he made me pay."

http://www.masslive.com/sports/repu...orts-0/1158806403314880.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

The Patriots have had some success using three tight ends - Benjamin Watson, Daniel Graham and David Thomas. This provides extra blockers to help on running plays, but also tougher one-on-one matchups on passing plays.

"I think it confuses defenses, they don't know what we're going to do," Graham said. "We haven't used that set too much in the past, so it's a new look for (opponents), and we can do a lot out of that formation."

Watson has six catches for 89 yards in two games, not exactly staggering but certainly a noticeable amount.

"They've never been a team where they have a single guy who stands out," Denver cornerback Champ Bailey said. "They have a lot of great players, and they use them all. I know Ben Watson is playing a bigger role, and he's like another wideout."

Ichiro said:
I found this article:
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/sports_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_83_5009792,00.html

Its amazing how many media members dislike Belichick. Between media, fans, coaches and players in the NFL, its overwhelmingly media members who HATE our coach. Tells you something about that profession.

Great link.

You can't really blame them for disliking him. After all, they're trying to write a story, and he gives them absolutely nothing. I think BB plays the game 24/7, and won't give opponents anything that they can exploit. At the same time, I bet he combs through the articles and looks for tidbits to use to motivate his team.

I doubt the players personally like BB much, but when Lawyer Milloy was with the team I remember him saying that BB finds ways to put them in position to make plays. For players who only want to win, BB is the best. For players who rather have fun than win, BB isn't the best.

I hope when BB retires, he writes a book called, How I felt. It would probably be a best seller if he has feelings for anything other than winning. I'm in no way knocking BB. He's sort of an idiot savant -- a genius in terms of building a football team and a winning strategy, but kind of an emotional idiot.

Patters said:
Great link.

You can't really blame them for disliking him. After all, they're trying to write a story, and he gives them absolutely nothing. I think BB plays the game 24/7, and won't give opponents anything that they can exploit. At the same time, I bet he combs through the articles and looks for tidbits to use to motivate his team.

I doubt the players personally like BB much, but when Lawyer Milloy was with the team I remember him saying that BB finds ways to put them in position to make plays. For players who only want to win, BB is the best. For players who rather have fun than win, BB isn't the best.

I hope when BB retires, he writes a book called, How I felt. It would probably be a best seller if he has feelings for anything other than winning. I'm in no way knocking BB. He's sort of an idiot savant -- a genius in terms of building a football team and a winning strategy, but kind of an emotional idiot.
You watch 3GTG and you see the players responding to BB. I know Lawyer and BB still hug when they meet, any hard feelings there have smoothed away. I remember Rodney almost in tears after the AFCC win in 2003, there are plenty of ways for people to share their feelings, and BB gets his fair share of player love and respect. It beats watching Cowher kissing his boys or Vermeil getting their uniforms wet. :p

Patters said:
Great link.

I don't think Bill is an emotional idiot at all. If you read or have read Patriot Reign you get a better understanding of the man. He needs to be in his element or be comfortable with you to see his other side. I think he rather have reporters hate him dislike him or what ever than to be ridicule like say Herman Edwards. "We Play to win the Game" How many time is that going to be played over the years.

I don't think you meant emotional idiot in a bad way but still I have to disagree

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
Back