PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Calvin Johnson be the key to the Patriots draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Trade rumors are just that rumors. When it is rumored that the Pats are looking to trade out of round 1, I believe it, because every year we keep every option open in order to improve our team.

Why are we more likely this year, and why is Johnson the key?

In a draft low in top-shelf talent, some teams are desperate for a sure thing can't miss talent (read: Calvin Johnson). Denver, Tampa and Atlanta all seem to be willing to give their left nut to land Johnson. Detroit is all but begging to trade out of the #2 hole, but they need a substantial package; probably a top 10 pick (to get Adams, Landry or Willis) as well as a late 1st rounder (for the best of Beck, Kolb and Edwards).

Denver is out, Detroit is not interested in picking at #21. It's too high for a 2nd teir QB, too low for an elite player. That leaves Atlanta and Tampa. Both have two 2nd round picks, including one each in the 33-41 range. Both should be willing to give up both (or a 2nd this year and a 1st next), if the compensation is right (say: #28 and maybe a mid-round depth pick).

Who, then, is looking to pick in the early parts of round two? The players who seem best suited for the Pats: Harris, Woodley, Meriweather, Wilson, Leonard, McCauley, Poz, Weddle, etc., are all early 2nd round talents. We can move down and get a guy, if not "the guy," while picking up either additional top 100 depth or a early day 1 pick next year.

I expect Tampa and Altanta, exhausting their efforts to trade directly with Detroit to land Johnson, will look to the Pats to pick up an extra #1, in order to then package with the Lions.

Nifty reasoning. So lets say:

New England send #28 to Atlanta for #39 and their 2008 #2.
Atlanta sends #8 and #28 to Detroit for #2.

By my WAG revised value chart, and projecting the 2008 #2 as equivalent to a mid-3 this year, the point values add up to...

New England: sends 726, receives 700 (and transfers some value to next year when they get no comp picks)
Atlanta: sends 2268, receives 2678
Detroit: sends 2678, receives 2382

I think this accurately reflects that it's not a terrific value for Detroit, but if it's the best they can get it's probably worth doing -- they could really use the extra #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back