PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CHFF: Pats fans quietest

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Ar...:_10_Cold,_Hard_Football_Facts_to_ponder.html

6. Gillette Stadium is the quietest arena in the NFL. Maybe it's because the Patriots play with such precision and confidence that the crowd doesn’t feel like it needs to be a part of the game.

Or maybe the crowd at Gillette is just lame.

Earlier in the day, we watched on our big-ass TVs a Lambeau Field quake and dance and party for three hours, all green and yellow and white. Then the Patriots compete (and win) in one of the best playoff games in recent memory, and the place sounds like it was between sets at an Aerosmith concert.

Patriots fans, if you disagree, or have some explanation for this strange phenomenon, please try to explain. Otherwise, make some noise.

Re: CHFF:pats fans quietest

Isn't the fact that Gillette is quiet a boon for the Patriots when they have the ball? I would expect the stadium to be shaking whenever the opposing team has possession.

I wouldn't think too much of it - looking at his articles the guy seems to think of the Pats pretty highly.

Isn't the fact that Gillette is quiet a boon for the Patriots when they have the ball? I would expect the stadium to be shaking whenever the opposing team has possession.

I wouldn't think too much of it - looking at his articles the guy seems to think of the Pats pretty highly.

Gillette sucks structurally for crowd noise. The old pit used to get loud. Maybe it was the metal benches?

Maybe chemistry/physics as well...sound travels more quickly through warmer air. Having never been to the stadium, I can only rely on what I see on television or on the Internet. Anyways, Gillette Stadium appears to be more open than most - or maybe it's just the photographer's angle. Less reverb, perhaps?

Maybe chemistry/physics as well...sound travels more quickly through warmer air. Having never been to the stadium, I can only rely on what I see on television or on the Internet. Anyways, Gillette Stadium appears to be more open than most - or maybe it's just the photographer's angle. Less reverb, perhaps?
A Lot less.
Lots of open space.
It's an acoustical nightmare. Definitely wouldn't want to see a concert there.

Cold weather doesn't help much either; and not just because everyone's wearing gloves.

That, and you've got a bunch of namby pamby fcuks who "would like you to sit down so they can see." With the success the Patriots have had there are a lot of douchebaggy bandwagoners who go to games and waste space in seats "intelligent" fans can use (that's if they even bother to bear the elements and not sit in their box suites).

The open structure of Gillette coupled with clowns in the stands lends to a pretty quiet atmosphere (for the most part). I'm hoping they channel some of the attitude and intensity they had for the week two match-up for this upcoming game, but needless to say, I'm not holding my breath.

We are quiet. I'm not going to try to defend it.

It really saddens me.

We are quiet. I'm not going to try to defend it.

It really saddens me.

Combo of bandwagon corporate types in the seats and the configurations of Gillette being terrible for holding the sound inside the stadium.
Why not bring some air horns or something to amp up the noise?

I have read an article whilst gillettte was being built, that top or mouth of the stadium is wider than almost a 100 feet to the older stadiums in the league, making the stairs going to the tops of the 300 sections a little less steep, thus giving the stadium a " V " shape instead of the " U " shape of lambeau or giants or denver stadiums, making noise from the crowd on either side travel longer distances to the field, losing quite a bit of punch.

Now that with the notion of our fans being a little bit spoiled and just letting the team do what they are best at until they desperately need us, which is hardly ever it seems, than i guess you can say we are quiet compared to other teams that actually need the help from the crowd to drown out play calling of an opposing team, instead of just calling the proper D and making the big plays when it counts. One of my most favorite parts of a pats road game is listening to the crowd tear their vocals cords on every 3rd and whatever, time after time for 3 hours, only to hear the instant deafening silence whenever brady completes another 1st down or tosses one of his 50 td's, and realize all that screaming didnt do squat.......

Last edited:
expect the game of football to get much quieter in the next few years with the construction of the new stadiums that require people to pay outragious sums of money to attend even one game. the football stadium is turning into an elitist place to watch the game. I like many fans prefer to sit in my comfortable living room with my big screen and surround sound with my own 1.25 a bottle beer! :rocker:

Fine it's a quiet stadium, in the end we do what we can. I've fought the battle for years trying to get people louder during the regular season but it's been futile for over 5 years. The playoffs I've never had a complaint with though. The people who are the quietest are not the ones that visit this website or read CHFF so we can bit** and moan all we want but it's getting tiresome and in the end the team is undefeated in the playoffs going back to days before some of the posters on this board were even born. Next time one of us wants to put up 350 million dollars we can design a better stadium. The Jags game was good for noise when at the game, I watched the DVR of the game and it sounded completely different.

There was an excellent post by Tunescribe on another thread that went through the structural reasons, one by one, for Gillette's lack of crowd noise at field level.

A Lot less.
Lots of open space.
It's an acoustical nightmare. Definitely wouldn't want to see a concert there.

Cold weather doesn't help much either; and not just because everyone's wearing gloves.

I think an acoustical nightmare is a stadium that traps sound. At least for concert purposes, I'll bet Gillette isn't that bad.

For football its design may very well be bad. But shame on CHFF for assuming you can tell how loud a stadium is by watching TV. That's just inane. All some tech guy needs to do is turn up the feed for the ambient noise mike and you think the stadium got louder.

Last edited:
The fact that we have the highest ticket prices in the league has to factor in somehow as well. I know I would be extremely loud, but I've never been to a game, can't afford it.

Why not bring some air horns or something to amp up the noise?

I like this idea!

I was at the Jags game and I couldn't beleive how quiet it was. Early on.....the crowd was loud as can be on 3rd down....but when the Jags converted the place was as silent as a church. Then when the next 3rd down came it was almost as though the fans gave up.

I'm sure that a small percentage of the problem has to do with the stadium structure....but from what I see....most fans don't have the passion to become the 12th man.

Air horns!!!! If 10% of the people on this board that will be attending the game Sunday bring air horns.....we can elevate the noise and create an advantage. Let's do it. Here's a link.

http://www.blasthorn.com/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes