PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler & Saints working towards finalizing a deal (Thread now UFC Pats Fans Event)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait for people to use this as proof that Belichick and Payton are talking trade

C7nkojKW4AA8Jap.jpg:large
I can't quite put my finger on it, but....something's definitely brewing here....o_O

Andy, now you're being ridiculous.
This entire discussion has been ridiculous.
Bill belichick says you can't discuss trading players that are not under contract.
Mike Lombardi says he same thing.
People in a message board go and read the cba and say since they can't find that rule they are both wrong then double down by arguing that a different rule doesn't explicitly say this (when it is not even the applicable rule) so therefore belichick does know what he is talking about. However when called on that it becomes that what he said wasn't what he meant and he was just being careful and not doing something that there is no rule against because, well I'm not actually sure why he would be careful not to break a rule that doesn't exist so you'll have to help me understand where that comes from

The pieces are coming together if the Revis story ends up true.

4 years of a 1st round pick on a rookie deal + 1-2 years of Revis > 1 year of Butler

The trade makes more sense because it wouldn't damage the 2017 team much (provided Revis stays on his diet). Team could arguably be better depending on who we picked at 32.

I have very little faith in Mevis. This is BS the guy sucked last year, I would rather have Logan Ryan than Mevis.

This entire discussion has been ridiculous.

Only some positions that some people have taken.

Bill belichick says you can't discuss trading players that are not under contract.

Mike Lombardi says he same thing.

In 2009 he said that, yes.

People in a message board go and read the cba and say since they can't find that rule

Correct. Nobody can find any actual rule that says that a team cannot discuss a possible trade involving a player not under contract. I can't. You can't. Nobody can. It may exist, but nobody has yet produced such a rule.

they are both wrong then double down by arguing that a different rule doesn't explicitly say this (when it is not even the applicable rule) so therefore belichick does know what he is talking about.

Nobody in this forum has said that "Belichick doesn't know what he is talking about." Nobody. Please stop the nonsense. I called you out the other day on crap like that and I'm going to do it again. Enough already.

However when called on that it becomes that what he said wasn't what he meant and he was just being careful and not doing something that there is no rule against because, well I'm not actually sure why he would be careful not to break a rule that doesn't exist so you'll have to help me understand where that comes from

Let me help you then, Andy. I'll do my best.

Malcolm Butler is a restricted free agent to whom the Patriots applied the first round tender. The following possibilities now exist:

(1) Butler can sign the tender and play for the Patriots for $3.9 million in 2017.

(2) Butler can sign the tender for $3.9 million and the Patriots and Butler can promptly renegotiate a contract worth more than that (but not less, per the rule that we keep talking about here), or they can negotiate an extension.

(3) Butler can sign the tender and the Patriots can trade him to another team.

(4) Butler can refuse to sign the tender and sign an offer sheet with another team. If that happens, the Patriots can either match the offer, at which time, Butler plays for the Patriots under the terms of that offer sheet, OR the Patriots can decline to match, at which time Butler becomes the property of that new team under the terms of that offer sheet, and the Patriots get that team's first round draft pick.

Ok, with me so far? Great. This is not controversial - this is all fact. Now, here's where it gets interesting. Butler hasn't signed the tender. So he is still a restricted free agent, which means he can negotiate with other teams. We know that he has negotiated with the Saints. The thing is, apparently the Saints want him, but don't want to give up the #11 pick (their original first rounder) for him. So they'd like to negotiate a trade with the Patriots. However, you cannot actually trade a player that you don't have under contract (he's not your property to trade, after all), so how can the Saints pull this off? Only by negotiating a contract with Butler that both sides approve of, and then make sure that the Patriots trade Butler to them. But, of course, if they are unable to actually discuss this with the Patriots - whether openly or through back channels - the Saints must wait for Butler to sign the tender with the Patriots with no guarantees that he will get traded. After all, if he signs the tender, the Patriots can simply choose to keep him.

Teams and players don't like to be in limbo, and they don't like to sign contracts with uncertainty. So the Saints, naturally, would like to work something out with Butler and the Patriots ahead of time.

So we have all kinds of reports - you've seen them, they've been all over the place - that the Saints, Butler, and the Patriots have been working on a potential deal.

Again, nothing I've said so far is controversial. This is common knowledge. Nobody disputes anything so far. It is what I am about to say that we are having problems with.

Now, those reports that the Saints, Butler, and the Patriots are working on something could be untrue. You are convinced that they are untrue. And you are convinced that they are untrue because Bill Belichick in 2009 once stated that you cannot discuss players not under contract. You claimed (see post #1114 in this thread) that "I trust that if BB quotes it the rule exists". The problem is, BB never actually quoted the rule. He may have summarized a rule. He may have offered his interpretation of the rule. But he did not *quote* the rule. Here is what Belichick said (from: BELICHICK: PATS HAVEN'T TALKED TO PANTHERS ABOUT PEPPERS):

There’s no trade talks going on with Carolina,” Belichick said, as transcribed by Gregg Rosenthal of NBCSports.com. “They don’t have a signed contract. They can’t talk about trading a player that isn’t signed.”

Nowhere does BB actually cite a rule. This does not mean that such a rule doesn't exist. Just that you are wrong that BB "quoted" the rule. He most certainly did NOT quote the rule.

Now, Florio, in that piece I cited, points out that this understanding Belichick has comes from this rule (that has been pointed out in this thread several times now):

“Article XIV, Section 8(b) states that “[a] Club extending a Required Tender must, for so long as that Tender is extended, have a good faith intention to employ the player receiving the Tender at the Tender compensation level during the upcoming season.”

Nowhere does it say that a team cannot discuss trading a player that isn't signed. Nowhere. It simply does not say that. Belichick offered an INTERPRETATION of this rule. Now he knows a hell of a lot more about all this than any of us here, so it's reasonable to believe that his interpretation is correct. But, as we learned from Spygate, Belichick's interpretation of the rules is NOT always correct. He admitted himself that he interpreted the camera placement rules incorrectly. He is a human being who CAN make mistakes. I do not know if he made a mistake on this one, and I do not know why he said what he said.

That is important, because I'm not even necessarily disagreeing with you that it's against the rules. It very well may be.

But Florio in that piece points out that in fact, "plenty of teams have engaged in trade talks regarding franchise players before the franchise players signed their tenders, working out the terms of the transaction with the new team while the new team works out a new contract with the franchise player. Then, once the two agreements are reached, the franchise player signs the tender, signs a new deal, and promptly is traded."

Moreover, "the Pats traded safety Tebucky Jones to the Saints nearly six years ago, striking the deal before Jones had signed the franchise tender."

So the Patriots struck a deal with the Saints in 2003 and effectively did a sign-and-trade.

Here (Patriots Set To Send Jones To Saints For Draft Picks), we see how it unfolded. Clearly the Patriots and Saints negotiated all this before Jones signed his tender.

"Tebucky Jones' five-year career with the Patriots, which saw him go from bust at cornerback under Pete Carroll to big-hitting free safety under Bill Belichick, is expected to end today when the Patriots, barring a last-minute snag, trade him to the Saints.

The Patriots will receive third- and seventh-round picks in the April 26-27 draft, plus a fourth-round pick in 2004. The Patriots had been holding out for a second-round pick for Jones, a former No.1"

"ESPN.com reported that Jones has agreed to a five-year, $18.75 million contract with the Saints that includes a $5 million signing bonus. A $5 million bonus is more than what the Patriots were willing to pay Jones, even before they undercut his bargaining position by signing Chargers free agent safety Rodney Harrison in March."

"Because Jones had not yet signed the franchise tender offer, the Patriots will have to do a sign-and-trade with the Saints. Otherwise, the Patriots wouldn't be able to use the franchise tag on another player for the life of Jones' new contract."

So.....

Before Jones had actually signed the tender with the Patriots, which would have enabled him to be traded, he had already worked out a new deal with the Saints, and the Patriots and Saints had already come to terms on the trade. The press already reported on what the Saints would be giving up in order to acquire Jones.

You have to be a very special kind of stupid to believe that all this got worked out without the teams having SOME kind of conversation, without the teams having had SOME kind of negotiations.

Moreover, as Lombardi's piece points out, this is relatively common practice, and many teams do this.

So, Andy, we KNOW this happens. We KNOW that the Patriots themselves actually negotiated a trade involving their own RFA, who was not under contract with the Patriots at the time they were negotiating the deal, and that it was, ironically, to the Saints, no less.

If BB was right and that this is against the rules, everyone, INCLUDING THE PATRIOTS THEMSELVES, break this rule. It's commonplace, apparently, for teams to break this rule.

So WHY would Belichick claim what he claimed?

I HAVE NO IDEA. I offered up one possibility. Another one could be that he simply misunderstood. Another one could be that he LIED. OMG the possibility that Belichick may have lied to the media!!! God forbid. Maybe he said it for strategic reasons. Who knows. There are all kinds of possibilities.

You go on like it's LUNACY to think that there really isn't a rule about this, when, in fact, teams DO THIS ALL THE TIME. You cannot actually cite an actual NFL rule that says teams cannot discuss trading players not under contract. Nobody, apparently, can. All you do is fall back on the line that, "Well, BB said so", and falsely claim that he quoted a rule (which he did not).

But do you at least see why many of us are pretty skeptical that there's this iron clad rule against this kind of thing, despite your bewildering insistence that there obviously is (in "black and white", no less)? That we don't know why BB may have uttered those words back in 2009 doesn't mean you are correct. You might be. There might be a rule about it. But nobody has actually produced it, and if there is one, apparently many teams, including the Patriots, violate it.

Last edited:
Still nothing has happened and I think it is likely nothing will. Bill isnt going to cave and reward butler and his agent by trading him to the saints..which is what it would be.

Butler challenged him putting the 1st round tender and not letting him become a ufa to see who will blink first and now fans are expecting bill to cave. In his mind butler has 2 options. Play for 3.9 million or go get a deal and they will match or get a 1st rounder.

Pats have all the leverage here yet fans are acting like they MUST trade butler

Yeah. The one thing that no one can legitimately say is that this is a black-and-white, bright-line rule.

Why? Because teams do this with RFAs all the time and no one ever seems to care.

I'm sticking with my suspicion that the NFL doesn't really care about it one way or the other and than whenever anyone actually cares it is the NFLPA that does. Given that, I further find it hard to believe that if the player is OK with the trade that the NFLPA is going to stick its nose in.

And yup -- it would seem bizarre that when there's a situation where the RFA wants to go to team X and his own team is happy to move the player, that the teams can't do the necessary talking to each other to make it happen.

Both camps are entirely within their rights and both are content to take their time and play the waiting game. The only thing to be gained by not following suit is heartburn

Are we there yet!?

Only some positions that some people have taken.

In 2009 he said that, yes.

Correct. Nobody can find any actual rule that says that a team cannot discuss a possible trade involving a player not under contract. I can't. You can't. Nobody can. It may exist, but nobody has yet produced such a rule.

Nobody in this forum has said that "Belichick doesn't know what he is talking about." Nobody. Please stop the nonsense. I called you out the other day on crap like that and I'm going to do it again. Enough already.

Let me help you then, Andy. I'll do my best.

Malcolm Butler is a restricted free agent to whom the Patriots applied the first round tender. The following possibilities now exist:

(1) Butler can sign the tender and play for the Patriots for $3.9 million in 2017.

(2) Butler can sign the tender for $3.9 million and the Patriots and Butler can promptly renegotiate a contract worth more than that (but not less, per the rule that we keep talking about here), or they can negotiate an extension.

(3) Butler can sign the tender and the Patriots can trade him to another team.

(4) Butler can refuse to sign the tender and sign an offer sheet with another team. If that happens, the Patriots can either match the offer, at which time, Butler plays for the Patriots under the terms of that offer sheet, OR the Patriots can decline to match, at which time Butler becomes the property of that new team under the terms of that offer sheet, and the Patriots get that team's first round draft pick.

Ok, with me so far? Great. This is not controversial - this is all fact. Now, here's where it gets interesting. Butler hasn't signed the tender. So he is still a restricted free agent, which means he can negotiate with other teams. We know that he has negotiated with the Saints. The thing is, apparently the Saints want him, but don't want to give up the #11 pick (their original first rounder) for him. So they'd like to negotiate a trade with the Patriots. However, you cannot actually trade a player that you don't have under contract (he's not your property to trade, after all), so how can the Saints pull this off? Only by negotiating a contract with Butler that both sides approve of, and then make sure that the Patriots trade Butler to them. But, of course, if they are unable to actually discuss this with the Patriots - whether openly or through back channels - the Saints must wait for Butler to sign the tender with the Patriots with no guarantees that he will get traded. After all, if he signs the tender, the Patriots can simply choose to keep him.

Teams and players don't like to be in limbo, and they don't like to sign contracts with uncertainty. So the Saints, naturally, would like to work something out with Butler and the Patriots ahead of time.

So we have all kinds of reports - you've seen them, they've been all over the place - that the Saints, Butler, and the Patriots have been working on a potential deal.

Again, nothing I've said so far is controversial. This is common knowledge. Nobody disputes anything so far. It is what I am about to say that we are having problems with.

Now, those reports that the Saints, Butler, and the Patriots are working on something could be untrue. You are convinced that they are untrue. And you are convinced that they are untrue because Bill Belichick in 2009 once stated that you cannot discuss players not under contract. You claimed (see post #1114 in this thread) that "I trust that if BB quotes it the rule exists". The problem is, BB never actually quoted the rule. He may have summarized a rule. He may have offered his interpretation of the rule. But he did not *quote* the rule. Here is what Belichick said (from: BELICHICK: PATS HAVEN'T TALKED TO PANTHERS ABOUT PEPPERS):

There’s no trade talks going on with Carolina,” Belichick said, as transcribed by Gregg Rosenthal of NBCSports.com. “They don’t have a signed contract. They can’t talk about trading a player that isn’t signed.”

Nowhere does BB actually cite a rule. This does not mean that such a rule doesn't exist. Just that you are wrong that BB "quoted" the rule. He most certainly did NOT quote the rule.

Now, Florio, in that piece I cited, points out that this understanding Belichick has comes from this rule (that has been pointed out in this thread several times now):

“Article XIV, Section 8(b) states that “[a] Club extending a Required Tender must, for so long as that Tender is extended, have a good faith intention to employ the player receiving the Tender at the Tender compensation level during the upcoming season.”

Nowhere does it say that a team cannot discuss trading a player that isn't signed. Nowhere. It simply does not say that. Belichick offered an INTERPRETATION of this rule. Now he knows a hell of a lot more about all this than any of us here, so it's reasonable to believe that his interpretation is correct. But, as we learned from Spygate, Belichick's interpretation of the rules is NOT always correct. He admitted himself that he interpreted the camera placement rules incorrectly. He is a human being who CAN make mistakes. I do not know if he made a mistake on this one, and I do not know why he said what he said.

That is important, because I'm not even necessarily disagreeing with you that it's against the rules. It very well may be.

But Florio in that piece points out that in fact, "plenty of teams have engaged in trade talks regarding franchise players before the franchise players signed their tenders, working out the terms of the transaction with the new team while the new team works out a new contract with the franchise player. Then, once the two agreements are reached, the franchise player signs the tender, signs a new deal, and promptly is traded."

Moreover, "the Pats traded safety Tebucky Jones to the Saints nearly six years ago, striking the deal before Jones had signed the franchise tender."

So the Patriots struck a deal with the Saints in 2003 and effectively did a sign-and-trade.

Here (Patriots Set To Send Jones To Saints For Draft Picks), we see how it unfolded. Clearly the Patriots and Saints negotiated all this before Jones signed his tender.

"Tebucky Jones' five-year career with the Patriots, which saw him go from bust at cornerback under Pete Carroll to big-hitting free safety under Bill Belichick, is expected to end today when the Patriots, barring a last-minute snag, trade him to the Saints.

The Patriots will receive third- and seventh-round picks in the April 26-27 draft, plus a fourth-round pick in 2004. The Patriots had been holding out for a second-round pick for Jones, a former No.1"

"ESPN.com reported that Jones has agreed to a five-year, $18.75 million contract with the Saints that includes a $5 million signing bonus. A $5 million bonus is more than what the Patriots were willing to pay Jones, even before they undercut his bargaining position by signing Chargers free agent safety Rodney Harrison in March."

"Because Jones had not yet signed the franchise tender offer, the Patriots will have to do a sign-and-trade with the Saints. Otherwise, the Patriots wouldn't be able to use the franchise tag on another player for the life of Jones' new contract."

So.....

Before Jones had actually signed the tender with the Patriots, which would have enabled him to be traded, he had already worked out a new deal with the Saints, and the Patriots and Saints had already come to terms on the trade. The press already reported on what the Saints would be giving up in order to acquire Jones.

You have to be a very special kind of stupid to believe that all this got worked out without the teams having SOME kind of conversation, without the teams having had SOME kind of negotiations.

Moreover, as Lombardi's piece points out, this is relatively common practice, and many teams do this.

So, Andy, we KNOW this happens. We KNOW that the Patriots themselves actually negotiated a trade involving their own RFA, who was not under contract with the Patriots at the time they were negotiating the deal, and that it was, ironically, to the Saints, no less.

If BB was right and that this is against the rules, everyone, INCLUDING THE PATRIOTS THEMSELVES, break this rule. It's commonplace, apparently, for teams to break this rule.

So WHY would Belichick claim what he claimed?

I HAVE NO IDEA. I offered up one possibility. Another one could be that he simply misunderstood. Another one could be that he LIED. OMG the possibility that Belichick may have lied to the media!!! God forbid. Maybe he said it for strategic reasons. Who knows. There are all kinds of possibilities.

You go on like it's LUNACY to think that there really isn't a rule about this, when, in fact, teams DO THIS ALL THE TIME. You cannot actually cite an actual NFL rule that says teams cannot discuss trading players not under contract. Nobody, apparently, can. All you do is fall back on the line that, "Well, BB said so", and falsely claim that he quoted a rule (which he did not).

But do you at least see why many of us are pretty skeptical that there's this iron clad rule against this kind of thing, despite your bewildering insistence that there obviously is (in "black and white", no less)? That we don't know why BB may have uttered those words back in 2009 doesn't mean you are correct. You might be. There might be a rule about it. But nobody has actually produced it, and if there is one, apparently many teams, including the Patriots, violate it.
Of course he was citing a rule when he said you cannot do something.
Tebucky jones was franchised. Agents negotiate trades for players all the time.
You keep clinging to the RFA rule which is not the one at play here.
It is incorrect to say I can't find the rule because I am not looking for the rule. I trust both BB and Lombardi to know what they are talking about. You are clearly looking in the wrong place. There was nothing vague in
Lombardis comments.
Believe what you want.

Yeah. The one thing that no one can legitimately say is that this is a black-and-white, bright-line rule.

Why? Because teams do this with RFAs all the time and no one ever seems to care.

I'm sticking with my suspicion that the NFL doesn't really care about it one way or the other and than whenever anyone actually cares it is the NFLPA that does. Given that, I further find it hard to believe that if the player is OK with the trade that the NFLPA is going to stick its nose in.

And yup -- it would seem bizarre that when there's a situation where the RFA wants to go to team X and his own team is happy to move the player, that the teams can't do the necessary talking to each other to make it happen.
Can you give some examples of the players under an RFA that keep getting traded since you say it is done all the time.

Wow Pherein. That was quite the well-thought out post. Full of good analysis and good points. You really captured the Butler pros/cons versus the cost in Cap Space and the cost in draft picks. You captured the salary cap mess caused by repeated years of bloated deals to Byrd, Spiller, Browner, and lesser money deals for Kruger and Laurinaitis. To say the least, all were/are deals that have not worked out.

I haven't posted too much on this board since joining a few years ago. I mainly enjoy reading all the insightful thoughts and analysis that Patriots fans put forth, which is ably supplemented with fans of other teams, like you, that come by and make positive, worthwhile contributions that the rest of us enjoy reading and commenting on. Who knows, maybe we'll run into each other one of these days/years and we can have a good chat on football. Just be on the lookout for a grizzled-looking guy sporting a Patriots cap...

But I missed that Brees is easy to understand and why we love him. I mean you win the SB and you care more about talking and interacting with your kid than anything else. Brees has real maturity as a man and caring. Hes a simple guy..

Brees he has problems

Last edited:
Of course he was citing a rule when he said you cannot do something.

No he didn't. I literally gave you his exact quote.

Here it is again: There’s no trade talks going on with Carolina,” Belichick said, as transcribed by Gregg Rosenthal of NBCSports.com. “They don’t have a signed contract. They can’t talk about trading a player that isn’t signed.”

The bolded are his exact words. So what rule did he cite? Tell me.

Tebucky jones was franchised. Agents negotiate trades for players all the time.

Tebucky Jones was not under contract with the Patriots. You have claimed all along that BB said you cannot trade a player not under contract. That's a fact. Your words, literally, in post #1124:

"Bill belichick says you can't discuss trading players that are not under contract."

You also have pointed out that the rule we have been talking about here (Article XIV, Section 8(b)) applies to anyone not under contract, and not just RFAs specifically, but that RFAs are a subset of this larger group. So your objection here is pathetic and irrelevant.

You keep clinging to the RFA rule which is not the one at play here.
It is incorrect to say I can't find the rule because I am not looking for the rule.

NOBODY can find the rule, Andy, that says you can't discuss a possible trade with a player not under contract. BB said you can't do it, back in 2009, but he never cited an actual rule, and in fact the Patriots actually negotiated the trade of a player NOT UNDER CONTRACT.

I trust both BB and Lombardi to know what they are talking about. You are clearly looking in the wrong place. There was nothing vague in
Lombardis comments.
Believe what you want.

Andy this reply of yours was weak, weak sauce. Probably the weakest post I've seen in this forum in a long, long time.

Just a quick question, not sure if it's been covered, maybe one of you guys could clear this up for me. So, can we trade Butler if he doesn't sign his tender? Thanks in advance, looking forward to having this clarified in a no doubt concise and compelling manner.....

From (Rules Regarding Restricted Free Agents):

Article 9, second 2 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement:

"Nothing in 41 this Subsection shall preclude a Prior Club from entering into a Player Contract with a player subject to a Tender, and subsequently trading that player under that Player Contract to another Club, provided that the player and the NFLPA must approve in advance any such trade that takes place during the Signing Period."

So I ask, if the CBA says that a team can offer a tender, and have the player sign the tender, and have the team immediately trade that guy away, *provided that the player and the NFLPA approve IN ADVANCE any such trade that takes place during the signing period*, how can such a trade be worked out UNLESS the two teams are actually discussing the trade beforehand? How can the framework of a trade be made, and approved by, the player and the NFLPA, before the trade happens and before the signing of the tender/contract, UNLESS the two teams are negotiating the terms while the player is NOT yet signed?

It's impossible.

Last edited:
Note to wannabe authors in this thread. If you write a post that is more than 200 words, you're only going to piss people off that it takes half a minute to scroll past it. Nobody is going to read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back