PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big $$ doesn’t = big results - 2013 free agent WR’s at midseason

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
When you look at this you have to appreciate the value that Julian Edelman is giving this team. Outside of Welker the bigger name receivers like Bowe, Wallace, Jennings and Amendola have not lived up to their contracts in the first half of the season.

•Bowe: 46 targets | 26 receptions | 302 receiving yards | 11.6 average | 2 touchdowns | contract 5 years, $56 million
•Wallace: 72 targets | 36 receptions | 480 receiving yards | 13.3 average | 1 touchdown | contract 5 years, $60 million
•Welker: 71 targets | 50 receptions | 555 receiving yards | 11.1 average | 9 touchdowns | contract 2 years $12 million
•Jennings: 46 targets | 25 receptions | 336 receiving yards | 13.4 average | 2 touchdowns | contract 5 years, $45 million
•Amendola: 33 targets | 19 receptions | 174 receiving yards | 9.2 average | 0 touchdowns | contract 5 years, $28.5 million
•Hartline: 63 targets | 38 receptions | 477 receiving yards | 12.6 average | 2 touchdowns | contract 5 years, $30.775
•Heyward-Bey: 34 targets | 18 receptions | 190 receiving yards | 10.6 average | 1 touchdown | contract 1 year, $2.5 million
•Sanders: 57 targets | 31 receptions | 396 receiving yards | 12.8 average | 2 touchdowns | contract 1 year, $2.5 million
•Edelman: 70 targets | 48 receptions | 462 receiving yards | 9.6 average | 2 touchdowns | contract 1 year, $765 thousand

The wide receiver position is always an interesting position to follow in free agency, in my opinion it is the most interesting of any position because it busts more than it succeeds.

I'm surprised Welker and Edelman are so close in yards.

I'm surprised Welker and Edelman are so close in yards.

I'm not necessarily surprised in that regard. They are within 2 of each other in receptions, Welker with 50 and Edelman with 48.

The big difference of course, is the number of TD catches that Welker has; especially considering the fact that he averaged about 6 per year here in New England.

I'm not necessarily surprised in that regard. They are within 2 of each other in receptions, Welker with 50 and Edelman with 48.

The big difference of course, is the number of TD catches that Welker has; especially considering the fact that he averaged about 6 per year here in New England.

Peyton loves him those passing TDs & hates run play TDs.

The Broncos don't have much of a running game, and Denver is doing more goal line passing, look at Green-Ellis, he lead the league in TDs when he was here because we run it more at the goal line.

The problem with Greg Jennings is the vikings don't want to start the only quarterback that can get him the football.

When you look at this you have to appreciate the value that Julian Edelman is giving this team. Outside of Welker the bigger name receivers like Bowe, Wallace, Jennings and Amendola have not lived up to their contracts in the first half of the season.

•Bowe: 46 targets | 26 receptions | 302 receiving yards | 11.6 average | 2 touchdowns | contract 5 years, $56 million
•Wallace: 72 targets | 36 receptions | 480 receiving yards | 13.3 average | 1 touchdown | contract 5 years, $60 million
•Welker: 71 targets | 50 receptions | 555 receiving yards | 11.1 average | 9 touchdowns | contract 2 years $12 million
•Jennings: 46 targets | 25 receptions | 336 receiving yards | 13.4 average | 2 touchdowns | contract 5 years, $45 million
•Amendola: 33 targets | 19 receptions | 174 receiving yards | 9.2 average | 0 touchdowns | contract 5 years, $28.5 million
•Hartline: 63 targets | 38 receptions | 477 receiving yards | 12.6 average | 2 touchdowns | contract 5 years, $30.775
•Heyward-Bey: 34 targets | 18 receptions | 190 receiving yards | 10.6 average | 1 touchdown | contract 1 year, $2.5 million
•Sanders: 57 targets | 31 receptions | 396 receiving yards | 12.8 average | 2 touchdowns | contract 1 year, $2.5 million
•Edelman: 70 targets | 48 receptions | 462 receiving yards | 9.6 average | 2 touchdowns | contract 1 year, $765 thousand

The wide receiver position is always an interesting position to follow in free agency, in my opinion it is the most interesting of any position because it busts more than it succeeds.

Amendola is made of glass...if he was healthy, he would no doubt be much higher up the list.

I don't really get the point of this thread. Other than DHB, the receivers are either doing fine or struggling for pretty obvious reasons that generally don't have to do specifically with them. Edelman's also not exactly been lighting it up over the past 4 games, with 14 catches for 143 yards over that span, for an average of

3.5 catches
36 yards

The suggestion seems to be that Edelman is a bargain, considering his salary. I tend to agree.

I don't really get the point of this thread. Other than DHB, the receivers are either doing fine or struggling for pretty obvious reasons that generally don't have to do specifically with them. Edelman's also not exactly been lighting it up over the past 4 games, with 14 catches for 143 yards over that span, for an average of

3.5 catches
36 yards

The suggestion seems to be that Edelman is a bargain, considering his salary. I tend to agree.

Again, I'm not really getting the point of the thread, particularly given the title:

Big $$ doesn’t = big results - 2013 free agent WR’s at midseason

Is Calvin Johnson not making catches? Victor Cruz? Pierre Garcon? Andre Johnson? Do we just ignore them because they don't fit a template that was put together in an incredibly misleading manner by using only 2013 and it's still small sample size, ignoring the reality of injury/adjustment/etc... and ignoring the elephant in the room (Gronk/Amendola on the shelf)?

Is the moral of the story that, If you sign guys for small dollars as WR3 types, they might put up some numbers if/when the receivers in front of them go down for a bunch of games? That's not exactly groundbreaking stuff.

Again, I'm not really getting the point of the thread, particularly given the title:

Is Calvin Johnson not making catches? Victor Cruz? Pierre Garcon? Andre Johnson? Do we just ignore them because they don't fit a template that was put together in an incredibly misleading manner by using only 2013 and it's still small sample size, ignoring the reality of injury/adjustment/etc... and ignoring the elephant in the room (Gronk/Amendola on the shelf)?

Is the moral of the story that, If you sign guys for small dollars as WR3 types, they might put up some numbers if/when the receivers in front of them go down for a bunch of games? That's not exactly groundbreaking stuff.
Is there a particular reason you feel the need to slap down Brady6 in a topic he's made abundantly clear in the OP who he is referring to and why he is doing so? The thread is more than reasonable when you consider those parameters.

He's using 2013 Free Agents as a means of comparison. You're more than entitled to start a thread referencing all Wide Outs if you'd like to open the discussion to include them.

Is there a particular reason you feel the need to slap down Brady6 in a topic he's made abundantly clear in the OP who he is referring to and why he is doing so? The thread is more than reasonable when you consider those parameters.

He's using 2013 Free Agents as a means of comparison. You're more than entitled to start a thread referencing all Wide Outs if you'd like to open the discussion to include them.

As I noted, I'm not getting the point of the thread, for the reasons given. It's pretty simple really. When the receivers in front of players get hurt, those players tend to see their numbers (or at least opportunities) increase. I think we can all wrap our heads around that. It's the rest that I'm questioning. The O.P. ignores so many variables that it's basically worthless.

Injuries
QB play
OL issues
etc...

Is there a particular reason you're defending the second part to the O.P.?

As I noted, I'm not getting the point of the thread, for the reasons given. It's pretty simple really. When the receivers in front of players get hurt, those players tend to see their numbers (or at least opportunities) increase. I think we can all wrap our heads around that. It's the rest that I'm questioning. The O.P. ignores so many variables that it's basically worthless.

Injuries
QB play
OL issues
etc...

Is there a particular reason you're defending the second part to the O.P.?
No, I agree with most of your contentions but I also realize what the specific intention of thread is, thus my query. For me, it's a simple name versus contract versus production premise. Naturally, I agree further discussion has its merit, but that would be more useful in a thread on its own.

Welker and Edelman are bargains Wes is 3rd in the NFL in rec and first in TD's and Julian is 5th in rec, but really only Bowe. Wallace and Jennings are making big money on that list,

Bowe has a run first team, Jennings has a new QB off the Street starting for him each week and Wallace is on pace for more yards then last year

3.5 catches
36 yards

I was pointing out that of all the free agent signing at the wide receiver position during the 2013 offseason Julian Edelman dollar for dollar was the best at midseason, in addition to that I was pointing that big name receivers that many of us lobbied for during the offseason have only proven Belichick correct in not spending big on them.

I don’t know what obvious reasons you’re referring to for why they’re struggling? I don’t know that I said any were struggling but none of the top paid receivers (Bowe, Jennings, Wallace, Amendola and Welker) with the exception of Welker have lived up to contracts they received in the offseason.

Well the thread was about 2013 free agent wide receivers, Cruz was a restricted free agent and the others were not free agents at all in 2013 so if you’re introducing them into the situation I can understand why you do not get it. Look at the wide receivers who were unrestricted free agents during the 2013 offseason only and how much they were paid, outside of Welker, Edelman, Sanders and maybe Hartline do you feel that any of those players were worthy of their contracts and having seen the what others were paid you cannot help but appreciate what Edelman has given this team.

Not every thread is going to be ground breaking, but what is discussion worthy to you may not be discussion worthy to me and vice versa; don’t feel obligated to participate if this discussion does not stimulate you enough, I will not be offend buddy I understand we all have different preferences.

The O.P. ignores so many variables that it's basically worthless.

Variables would mean that these players are experiencing something different than Edelman has experienced this season, which for the most part would be untrue, not only that but I made a point to have targets be the first stats in order to highlight opportunity.

Has Edelman been injured this season? Yes he has appeared on the last 3 weeks of the injury report.

Has Edelmans QB play been poor? Currently Brady ranks 27th in QB rating, 29th in completion percentage, 30th in yards per attempt and 17th in touchdowns.

OL issues
Has Edelmans OL had problems? Currently we’ve allowed the 6th most sacks in the entire NFL with 23 and Brady has been hit 40 times.

I wrote you a PM the other day, I wanted to put any animosity behind us however you did not respond, I will reiterate that I have the highest level of respect and admiration for you as a poster and wish nothing more than to move forward in a friendly and positive manner with you, whether it is over reading or not this type of response implies you still have some level of animosity with me and whatever I did to cause that I sincerely apologize :peace:

I figured the Mike wallace signing would be a bust...hes just really Not that good for the amount of money they gave him..he's a one trick pony deep threat. If you put a safety on him you take him out of the game.

I figured the Mike wallace signing would be a bust...hes just really Not that good for the amount of money they gave him..he's a one trick pony deep threat. If you put a safety on him you take him out of the game.

One thing that really highlights what you’ve written here is Mike Wallace has been targeted 72 times and for just 36 receptions; exactly 50%, which would be acceptable if he was making big plays but he is only averaging 13.3 yards per catch and has scored just 1 touchdown, he is not a $12 million a year receiver.

Either Wallace isn’t the burner he was originally or teams have figured him out because he has been declining for 3 years now especially as a deep threat.

• Rookie: 72 targets/39 receptions, 54.1%, 756 receiving yards, 19.4 average, 6 touchdowns
  • 2nd year: 100 targets/60 receptions, 60%, 1257 receiving yards, 21.0 average, 10 touchdowns
  • 3rd year: 113 targets/72 receptions, 63.72%, 1193 receiving yards, 16.6 average, 8 touchdowns
  • 4th year: 119 targets/64 receptions, 53.3%, 836 receiving yards, 13.1 average, 8 touchdowns
  • 5th year: 72 targets/36 receptions, 50%, 480 receiving yards, 13.3 average, 1 touchdown

It’s been basically all downhill since his second season in the NFL.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back